Home General Discussion
Options

best cigar you have had?

im still new to the cigar community. and try a new cigar as much as possible.

but so far my regular is the nub camroon.

but i think my fav has been the sapranos edition CAO.

it just tasted smoooth.

so really im looking for your fav cigar, so that i may try them.

i usualy love full bodied cigars at a decent size. not a small ring gadge.

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Now, "best cigar I ever had" and "favorite cigar" are 2 different things. The former is a one-off kinda deal -- that is, it's about a single instance of a cigar, not a "model" of cigar. So in my case, my favorite cigar is, I think, still the Fuente Hemingway Classic. The best cigar I ever had, though, was a particular Gurkha Centurian. Other Centurians I've had weren't as good as that one, but that one particular cigar was the best cigar I've ever had.

Other suggestions if you like 'em on the full-bodied side: Padilla 68, Camacho Havana, Rocky Patel Vintage 92, Fuente Don Carlos.

Those are just some that are at the tip of my tongue because I've had them recently.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The best cigar I've had to date is the very first cigar I pulled from a box of La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1, that single cigar was far and away the best I've had. Subsequent CC #1's have been really good, but none have matched that first one.
  • Options
    wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80

really? i could have 2 of the same cigars. one be amazing and the other just ok?

thats kind of depressing.

• Options
    I don't think it's anything to consider depressing. Sometimes a cigar just really blows you away and other times not so much. All of the good ones I've had have all been good, just some were better than others...It might not even be the cigar so much as the set, setting, food eaten beforehand, know what I mean? There are more factors than just the cigar that will affect how you perceive it.
  • Options
    Exactly. All that stuff plays into one's experience of a particular cigar, besides the inherent variations between any 2 instances of any product handmade from agricultural products.
  • Options
    urbino:
    the inherent variations between any 2 instances of any product handmade from agricultural products.
    Bingo-bango-bongo. I forgot to mention that.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    best cigar I have ever had huh, I would have to say the camacho diploma, aged 3 years. its called the camacho corojo ltd now, the robusto size is called the diploma. they were good when they were fresher, but with three years on them OMG it was amazing. that cigar was even better than the god of fire, and better than the forbiden x. dont get me wrong, those two cigars are knock your socks off awsome, but that diploma I had was fan-friggen-tastic. pitty I only have two left. my favorite practical cigar would have to be the aroma de cuba. that is an excelent stick, always reliable, easily available, doesnt require much aging time. juuuusssst right. runner up favorite cigar would have to be rocky patel vintage 90, even the segundos are amazing.
  • Options
    GaydorGaydor Posts: 1

Best cigar I've had to date was a 2004 Montecristo #2 Cuban

everything else pales in comparison and I'm a Big smoke guy (Tony Soprano, Oliva V, La Flor double Ligero, 601 green label) but, the cubans are just so much more in taste and richness that the velvet smoke overwhelms you.

• Options
    wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
    Ok. About the aged 3 years. Dose ageing really effect a cigar? Like if I had 2 olivia V's one tommarow and the other in 2 years. The aged one would be better? Hu. I usualy buy 2 cigars. They age around a week. Then I smoke them when I have the time. But 3 years I do not have. Nor the ability to keep them humid for that long. I really would love to someday though. But yeah.
  • Options
    btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    If you like full-bodied sticks, try the Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979. By far my favorite right now.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    wmaxham:
    Ok. About the aged 3 years. Dose ageing really effect a cigar? Like if I had 2 olivia V's one tommarow and the other in 2 years. The aged one would be better?
    Just like wine or good booze, yes most cigars will get better with age, but again, "better" is in the eye of the beholder. You might age that Oliva for 2 years, it might be too mild for you and you might not like it as much as a fresh one. On the other hand, another cigar might taste stale or very bitter right out of the box, but mellow out and have a wonderful taste after months or even years of aging.

Best cigar I've had would probably be the Padron 1964.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the best cigar i have ever had was an OpusX Perfecxion No. 4

a note on aged cigars:
    age will not "improve" a cigar. if you have a dog rocket and age it for a few years itll just be an old dog rocket.

a good cigar that has some power to it will mellow and relax. some of the spice may fade. this will allow you to taste other things in the cigar you would not have normally tasted.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    the next one...

I jest. The best I had was probably a RP vintage 1992. I did really like the Gurkha legend churchill, as well.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    The BEST cigar I ever had was a Cuban Cuabo. I had two and they were both great. However, my favorite has got to be either a Hemingway Signature or Classic.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I am with you on that ! The Hemingway Signature is my FAVOURITE cigar right now.

Ask me again in a couple of months ;)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The best cigar I've had to date is the very first cigar I pulled from a box of La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1, that single cigar was far and away the best I've had. Subsequent CC #1's have been really good, but none have matched that first one.
    This is where I place my vote, La Dominicana Camerron Cabinet #1, But being from Chicago I get more than one vote. The La Aurora 1495/1994 is really really good too, I will have to try a few more before I cast a final decision.
  • Options
    Right you are Kas, the 1495 cameroon 1994 is exceedingly good. A fine cigar indeed. Don't tell anyone, but I'm going all Y2K on this bad boy. :)
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Right you are Kas, the 1495 cameroon 1994 is exceedingly good. A fine cigar indeed. Don't tell anyone, but I'm going all Y2K on this bad boy. :)
    Holy crap, what have I done?

I've created competition for myself, thats what. That's the last time I send any of you anything good, especially anything good and limited.

Just kidding, glad you all enjoy them so much, and glad I have a nice little stash already.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    j0z3r:
    Holy crap, what have I done?

I've created competition for myself, thats what. That's the last time I send any of you anything good, especially anything good and limited.

Just kidding, glad you all enjoy them so much, and glad I have a nice little stash already.
    I am forever in your debt. I am ordering another 10 tonight. Sh**, can't have too many of this, and I am serious. ( not sirius ).
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    My favorite I've had so far was the Ashton VSG Toro
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Right now my fave is still the Oliva G but the Camacho '68 is challenging that. I've started aging both so maybe I will make a decision on that in a year or so. My all time best cigar was my first RP '92, I still haven't had another quite as good as the very first one. The Padron '28 and Oliva V are an extremely close second.
  • Options
    LCarLCar Posts: 57

It is so difficult for me to pick a favorite cigar. I like so many, and for so many different reasons.

I would have to say that my best cigar experience though, was with a fonseca 5-50. It was just so good. I dont know why. The flavor was exceptional, the burn was even and slow, it only ashed once...and did I mention the flavor? Sweet, mild, creamy and toasty. It was the only fonseca I ever smoked so far. I dont know too much about fonseca, and I wasnt expecting anything special, and maybe it was just the other determining factors, no wind, what I ate before, my palette was hydrated, my mood, but that was the best cigar I ever had. I haven't had any "super high end" cigars, so perhaps that is why, or maybe it was just a fluke and I got a great stick.

• Options
    I'm a new smoker. I can narrow it down to three cigars.
    The Nub Connecticut, the Oliva Series G Cameroon, and the CAO MX2.
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    Right now my fave is still the Oliva G but the Camacho '68 is challenging that.
    Ummm, you've cross-mojinated 2 cigars there, Andy. Are you talking about the Camacho '62, or maybe the Padilla '68? I think both are terrific.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    The Camacho '62 would be the winner here. I have yet to try any Padilla.

Hope that De-mojinates it for ya.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Alright.. I just had to try one tonight to confirm my vote, and it is as follows:

The best cigar I've ever had is the Playboy by Altadis. I've now had the Toro and the Robusto, and I love them both. They are pretty mild in body, but they pack so much flavor that I could smoke them all day long and never grow tired.

It's too long ago to remember, but my best single experience may have been the original Onyx cigar. This would have come out in '96 or '97 or so, and was a mild-medium blackened maduro. The new Onyx Reserve is actually very similar, but doesn't have quite as rich a flavor. With assistance from my spreadsheet, I would have to go as follows (and I need to leave the old Onyx out, because that was just too long ago):

1. Playboy by Altadis Toro
    2. Camacho 1962 Robusto
    3. Locally-rolled Dominican (Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper) Robusto
    4. Cigar.com Corona
    5. 5 Vegas Gold Torpedo
    6. Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Churchill
    7. Onyx Reserve Torbusto
    #'s 1, 3, 4, and 6 are all Ecuadorian Sumatra wrappers. #5 is a Connecticut, #7 is a Maduro, and #2 is a Criollo

If I had to guess, the original Onyx would have ranked somewhere in the top 3.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ok,
    This was a house blend that I picked up in Quepos, Costa Rica.
    There were a couple little old ladies from Cuba in this little shop rolling cigars!
    These cigars were from cuban tobacco and were fantastic.
    I kick myself for not picking up a few boxes..
    I picked up about a half dozen and smoke two of them while I was on vacation in Costa Rica
    These were so good I wanted to keep them for myself and share them at the same time.
    I smoked the remaining 4 with freinds when I got back from vacation
    My friends were more experienced cigar smokers at the time and agree that these were fantastic smokes and kicked my a$$ for not picking up a couple boxes while I was in Costa Rica
  • Options
    A RP Olde World Reserve toro gifted to me by Rocky. It was a prototype cigar and not the actual final blend. I got 7 of them from him and none of the subsequent ones were as good as the first though. I don't really much care for the production ones though. It was so smooth with a perfect draw. Very multidimensional but subtle too.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Looks like you just scored a few 5ers for a good price.
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    j0z3r:
    Looks like you just scored a few 5ers for a good price.
    You're watching me?...I'm kinda creeped out and kinda turned on. :)