Home General Discussion
Options

best cigar you have had?

Comments

• Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    LMAO!

No, I'm just one of the people you outbid with 14 minutes to go (It shows my city as the billing address for the credit card I use on there, in Cali). I thought about trying to outbid you, but since I got that box for $37, I can't bring myself to pay more than about $4 each. You definitely got a good price though, congrats.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    LOL. I keep looking for you on those bids, but I wasn't seeing anyone with your initials from Nawlens...that explains it I suppose. I'm a bit jealous of a $37 box...I don't mind the price I paid, but cheaper would be nice too.
  • Options
    wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
    ok. So ageing mellows out a cigar. Makes sence.do if I want a strong cigar, my best bet is out of the box? And right now I have a cifuentes y cia. Partagas 1845. Limited reserve 1995.
    Anyone ever smoke. This before? I'd like a reveiw on it as to compare my own. See whatother peole pick up and how I compare the tast and what not.
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    I have 3 of those is the humi right now and 3 of the limited reserve 97s as well. I have not smoked either yet but I got them based on a recommendation from a good friend of mine and they are his favorite cigar.
  • Options
    well at first I was kind like why did I spend 20 something bucks on this cigar. But twords the end. It's starting to taste like candy?the spices were new at first, but now that I'm used to them. It's really sugery. I'm sure if I aged this a few years it be rediculess but it's really good now. Reminds me of Christmas.

But I got to say. First 5 minutes tasted like crap. I'm glad it turned a 180 halfway down the stick.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wmaxham:
    But I got to say. First 5 minutes tasted like crap. I'm glad it turned a 180 halfway down the stick.
    it sounds like the light was the cause of this. if the first few minutes suck then there is a good chance that the light was too hot and the tobacco was burning too hot at first. Slow down with the lighter. less heat, more time. youll find that the cigar will taste better at the beginning.
  • Options

lol ur prolly 100% right

i burn the *** out of it at the start to make sure the whole thing gets lit evenly. yeah. i should prolly slow that down abit. 

• Options
    wmaxham:

lol ur prolly 100% right

i burn the *** out of it at the start to make sure the whole thing gets lit evenly. yeah. i should prolly slow that down abit. 

it takes me a good 3-5 minutes to light a cigar. the flame should never actually touch the cigar. the heat off of the flame should slowly bring it to a glow. then gently blow on it to even it out. your trying to set a delicate event in motion, not burn through the event.
  • Options
    Most certainly. Burning and lighting are two different things. What I would suggest, and do myself, is to hold the flame close to the cigar but not on it, then slowly rotate the cigar. This process should take at least a minute often 2-3, at which point you can blow on the end to see if it is evenly lit. At that point, if it's evenly lit, then smoke away, if not go back to toasting until you get a fully lit foot.

Damn, looks like kuzi beat me to the punch. :)
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Or, if you're like me and lack the patience for a 3-5 minute light, at least light it evenly (typically takes me 10-20 seconds), then put it down and do something else for a few minutes while it corrects itself.

You lose some cigar that way, but, like I said, I just don't have the patience.
  • Options
    yeah. I'm usualy tough on time. I starts cigar around 12. So when u finish by 1, 1:30 ish I usualy can't wast 5 minutes, but I better start if I crap out the first half of the cigar. Oook. Next cigar I will take things nice and slow
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Another tip ... if you decide to go with a get it lit as quick as possible method, blow gently out through the cigar before you take any draws on it. This will clear out a lot of the bad tastes that are sitting there from your light.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Interesting... that list features 7 cigars I've never had. The 3 cigars that I have smoked rank in my Top 5 Disappointments. I must have very unsophisticated tastes.
  • Options
    ive had 6 of them ... only 3 would i buy again, only two that i would call "great"

two of them i wouldnt buy again only because they are too mild for my taste
  • Options
    my favorite cigar is, I think, still the Fuente Hemingway Classic.
    Camroon? Or maduro? I picked up a cameoon. Butonky cause they didn't have maduro.
  • Options
    it was ment to quote urbino. Sorry
  • Options
    The cameroon wrapped Hemingway is quite good. I can't speak to the maduro wrapped variety, but I bet they are pretty good too.
  • Options
    Cameroon, max. I've never had the maduro. Actually, I don't think I've ever even seen a maduro.
  • Options
    what? That's crazy. Every other cigar down in Georgia is maduro.
  • Options
    oh. And my names wes. Maxhams a last name. Plus I'm glad u said
    Camroon. Cause
    I'm smokin it tonight. With enhanced lighting skills. Lol
  • Options
    wmaxham:
    what? That's crazy. Every other cigar down in Georgia is maduro.
    I meant the Hemingway maduro, ninny. ;)

I figured it was your last name. If you don't mind, though, I'll stick with "max" as your nickname. Since it's in your screen name, I'll actually be able to remember it.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Cameroon, max. I've never had the maduro. Actually, I don't think I've ever even seen a maduro.
    Patience, my friend.
  • Options
    it's fine. That's my dads name. So I'm used to being callled that. I'm at the start of ur hemmingway. It's really mild. But the first part didn't taste burnt. So I think I lit it right. But I would like ur opinion on it so I can compare. I'd like to find some people with the same taste as I do.
  • Options
    There's a review in my log ("Urbino's Log"), over in the Ratings & Reviews area.
    Scrambler:
    urbino:
    Patience, my friend.
    You rawk, Amscray!
  • Options
    well if tried the padron 1964 and the fuente both suggested, and it might have been me, or I got bad cigars, but both wernt to favorable. Actualy, I put them both out early. They werejust to blan? But I think I'm just really picky...
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    wmaxham:
    it's fine. That's my dads name. So I'm used to being callled that. I'm at the start of ur hemmingway. It's really mild. But the first part didn't taste burnt. So I think I lit it right. But I would like ur opinion on it so I can compare. I'd like to find some people with the same taste as I do.
    Well I have had one Hemingway Cameroon and it was amazing! It did seem a bit mild for the first few puffs but it gained strength after that. It had an awesome flavor!! Kind of a sweet nutty flavor with some awesome hints of things my palate isn't refined enough to indentify. I enjoyed it very much!! I will probably be having another Hemingway or a Don Carlos Thursday. If I do choose the Hemmy I'll write a little review for you to compare yours to.
  • Options
    wmaxham:
    well if tried the padron 1964 and the fuente both suggested, and it might have been me, or I got bad cigars, but both wernt to favorable. Actualy, I put them both out early. They werejust to blan? But I think I'm just really picky...
    Those cigars are very highly regarded by an awful lot of people, but one likes what one likes. It's nothing to apologize for. It just means you haven't found what you like, yet. Keep trying stuff.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    wmaxham:
    If you want something more flavorful, try the Onyx Reserve, CAO Brazillia, La Flor Dominica Ligero... Those are all Full bodied smokes that I personally love.
  • Options
    I tried the la flor. Twice. Once a lancero, really really hard to draw from that. And the other was like the bigest they make. And they were suppsed to nock me on my ass. But I didn't feal much. Um. Personaly. I think I got bad cigars. I don't no. But they felt weird? The pardon felt like it was covers in specs of sand. And the hemmingway was abit rubbery? I think the closest store to me didn't keep em hydrated right. But the store about 20 minutes away is the largest humidor in the south east. So I might try one of there hemmingways to confirm my theory. Gotta try everything atleast twice before u can truly say u didn't like it. But yeah. My cigar 6th sence was going off on both of em.