Options

Election

13»

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Well, it all comes to this: The poultry has spoken. Foxes are to outnumber weasels in the lower house. The Bronze fox has been selected speaker of the house, and vows not to compromise or cooperate with the weasel king! The arctic fox, after her strenuous campaigns for her brethren, expresses happiness on fox news. The foxes cousins on Wall St., the wolves and coyotes are celebrating. Meanwhile, down in Tennesse, one bearded turkey was heard to say: "I think we may be in for another plucking."
    National elections aside, your charming little story is playing out identically here in Illinois......... only the script is flipped.

Mike Madigan (D), long time Speaker of the IL House, is poised to make Boehner look like Little Red Riding Hood in comparison to your "wolf" analogy. Here's an interesting little article about our lovely little Dem state of IL:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-met-kass-1104-20101104,0,1138161.column

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.........
    I'm not surprised. Note the "weasel" inference. Just something to laugh about, really. I voted Democratic here, this time, but often vote Republican, or Independent, or Libertarian (whenever possible, actually). Tennessee Democrats and Left Coast Republicans are often about the same kind of creature. Illinois Democrats are in a category by themselves.

We've had some good Republicans down here, as well. I've voted for Lamar Alexander every time he's run, Fred Thompson, too. I guess that when I do vote Democrat, it's usually because they seem to at least pretend to care. I know I'm seen here often defending Dems, but for me the individual in question is always what I'm looking at, not their party.

I also had a tendency to defend George Bush when people said stupid things about him, which was fairly often. I still think he genuinely believed he was doing what's best for the country, although I did often disagree with his positions, he was still President of the United States, and that made him MY president. I reserve the right to disagree, and voice my opinion, but don't feel that entitles license to disrespect the man. I didn't vote for Obama, either, but he's also trying, and, like it or not, he was left with a hell of a mess to deal with. He asked for it, mind you, but the way some folks talk you'd think he created the mess. He didn't. Both parties have failed us, in my opinion, and it's time to get off the world scene, by which I mean withdraw with honor, and take care of business.

One thing that sort of got brought up on another post recently that resonated with me was minimum wage. What a stupid idea. I remember working for $1.10 an hour, got a new job making $1.90. Boy was I happy, then they raised minimum wage to $2.10 (I think, it was a long time ago), and suddenly I was making minimum wage again! Didn't take long to figure it out, every time you raise minimum wage, everybody loses money, and our stuff goes up in price at a greater percentage than the wage, and we can't keep doing this! No wonder we don't make anything anymore, who could afford it? Crazy.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain