Home Cigar 101
Options

Those with Cooladors

Comments

• Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    One other thing you might consider adding. I have three coolers and two of the large air tight and watertight tupperware type containers. Each has the cedar "crumb catchers" on the bottom made by Waxingmoon Humidors. I keep my beads underrneath the crumbcatcher...In each container I have a small Oust fan to help keep the air and humidity circulated. It works great.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    If I may hijack the thread for a second...for replacing the stock element in a regular desktop humidor with beads, how do you go about doing that? I thought about opening the case that the sponge thingy is in and just putting beads in there. Would that work?
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Follow this guide: Link

I recently did this, I used the bottom end of a nylon with a twist tie for easy reopening....I set the bead "bag" in the top of a medicine bottle cap....
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    JCizzle:
    If I may hijack the thread for a second...for replacing the stock element in a regular desktop humidor with beads, how do you go about doing that? I thought about opening the case that the sponge thingy is in and just putting beads in there. Would that work?
    No it wouldn't work very well because you will need more beads then that. If you buy your beads from Conservagel they come with bags included. Unlike the foam in your humi these beads both take in and release moisture. The foam only releases moisture until they are dry. The beads are active both ways and last much longer then the foam without recharging.

Here on the West Coast I only have a couple of months when I have to add water to my beads ( two pounds in coolerdor) the rest of the time they stay within range just from the ambient humidity in the air. When I recharge my beads I just open a bottle of distilled water and place the open bottle in my humi for a few days. The humidity slowly rises up a couple of points above 65% and then I close the bottle and won't have to recharge them for a couple of weeks at least. then when the spring comes, I don't have to touch them again until about this time of year. Beads ROCK!
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Fourtotheflush:
    1st off, get all those loose cigars in boxes/tupperware or something protective. 2nd - SHOWOFF
    HA!
  • Options
    So this is what this new hobbie has come down to. I make a deal and upgrade to a bigger Humidor just to find out that it will temp me to fill it up, then I'll run out of space again and look for another option. Insert the Coolidor, Just Freaken Great!!! Now, I can buy/store multiple boxes just so the nieghbors/friends can hoard in on my stash. Whats worse, is the wife is going to have a fit. Nice, reallly Nice!! Rage, and a whole lot of it. Grrr!!!!!
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Mperconte:
    So this is what this new hobbie has come down to. I make a deal and upgrade to a bigger Humidor just to find out that it will temp me to fill it up, then I'll run out of space again and look for another option. Insert the Coolidor, Just Freaken Great!!! Now, I can buy/store multiple boxes just so the nieghbors/friends can hoard in on my stash. Whats worse, is the wife is going to have a fit. Nice, reallly Nice!! Rage, and a whole lot of it. Grrr!!!!!
    But see, fortunately you can have a cigar to help you relax. But then, you'll have to buy more. Then find more storage space. Which will lead to more rage. Then have another smoke to relax. Then....well, you get the picture....haha
  • Options
    Nice, And the hits keep coming.... What's next, Bombs!?!
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Duder2:
    I've got 2 coolerdor's, one for mostly loose sticks, and one for mostly boxes. In the loose stick one I got some cheap casserole style tuppers and drilled them full of holes for breathe-ability. I can stack 4 of them in one cooler. Here's some pic's to illustrate...
    Oh, and these pics are kinda old but the setup is still pretty much the same...

And cooler #2

The left side of cooler #2 is just boxes stacked. It can still be a bit challenging getting to some sticks, but that's why I have 5 other humi's to keep most of the daily rotation in :^)
    My god, man! I think you're my new hero! These coolerdors are really tempting me to make the plunge, especially since there are so many good deals going on right now.
  • Options
    Just picked a 48qt cooler yesterday because my 100ct humi is pretty full so we need some good cheape storage....need to order some beads but what does everybody recomend I know it comes down to choice but just wanted to know what u guys use.
  • Options
  • Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    Wow. Was about tag onto this post to ask for advice for a first coolador, but it's already here. Thanks all!
  • Options
    ps--just bought my first cooler to replace the bad humidor a la too cedary.What a shame. Now I need more cigars.
  • Options
    I'll take that bad humi off your hands if you'd like, I could use it for a project.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    JCizzle:
    I'll take that bad humi off your hands if you'd like, I could use it for a project.
    You're welcome to it. But I'm pretty sure it's lined with something other than Spanish cedar, and the seal went sloppy as soon as I turned on the heat. PM me if you want it
  • Options
    Mephisto:
    JCizzle:
    You're welcome to it. But I'm pretty sure it's lined with something other than Spanish cedar, and the seal went sloppy as soon as I turned on the heat. PM me if you want it
    PM on the way.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    JCizzle:
    Mephisto:
    JCizzle:
    PM on the way.
    And one to you.
  • Options
    Got my beads today, put about a pound in the coolidor and 2-3 ounces in my little 20 ct humi. Sticks will be soaking up some humidity tonight. Time to build up this collection!
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I used the side vent when I used a coolidor to regulate the humidity mine kept climbing so I vented and It stabilized Just a little info also brings in a little fresh air.
  • Options
    Soon to be another cooler in the mix, getting a 100 quart...
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    Soon to be another cooler in the mix, getting a 100 quart...
    That's a pretty serious coolidor!
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I bought boxes when I would order for a $1 to hold the cigars.
  • Options
    Here's my meager setup with Heartfelt beads, works like a charm:
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    JCizzle:
    Here's my meager setup with Heartfelt beads, works like a charm:
    Nice good start....I think I saw you post you have some stuff coming? Doesn't take long to fill...
  • Options
    It sure doesn't. Most of that was my haul that came in today, and I have a couple more orders on the way from a recent spending binge. :-S Might need another cooler soon. :-D
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Got my beads in the other day so just set it up yesterday have to hit up my b&m for some small boxes its a little disorganized
  • Options
    Finally got the coolidor going! But the smell from the not spanish cedar humidor seems to have transferred--there's a faint over-cedar smell, especially from the cigars that were migrated. What do you guys think--are my new cigars at risk, or will the extra aroma burp off if I frequently air it?
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Mephisto:
    Finally got the coolidor going! But the smell from the not spanish cedar humidor seems to have transferred--there's a faint over-cedar smell, especially from the cigars that were migrated. What do you guys think--are my new cigars at risk, or will the extra aroma burp off if I frequently air it?
    It will fade in time. I doubt your sticks are at risk.
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Mephisto:
    Better play it safe. You can send me 1 of each type and I will run a series of tests and let you know if its safe for you to smoke. It's a dangerous job, but helping a BORK in need is just the kind of guy I am
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    i'm taking the plunge... just ordered my beads... the local target has the cooler I want so as soon as the beads arrive, I'll grab the cooler and get it going...