Home Cigar 101
Options

Those with Cooladors

1235»

Comments

• Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    Psycho where did you find these organizers? kind of curious to give them a try...
    had it for like 8 years, so I dont remember. But I'm sure you can get em at target, Kmart, Walmart, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    PsychoSJG:
    docbp87:
    Robby, Psycho, just curious... where are your beads from? It looks like you guys have the save bags to store them. Are they from the retailer you got the beads themselves from? Looking for cheap beads... I have a pound of heartfelt's on the way for a cooler, but in case I need more, I'm looking for a cheaper retailer. Heartfelt is great, and I like giving David my business, but they are a little pricey...
    http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL They work great, and half the price. and the bags are free
    yep... that's where I got them...
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    My coolidor is working out great, I move sticks from it to my little humidor as I smoke them. However, now my coolidor is emptying at an incredible rate lol. Another excuse to get more cigars...
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    JY001JY001 Posts: 49
    I have a 3-45G Coolidors. They are a great solution. All of them are red. Spousal Unit only see one red cooler as it moves around. ;+)
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I'm looking at getting some beads to use as the humidification in my second humidor as I'm hoping to overflow my current one soon.

I wish CCOM would start carrying the Conserva-Gel. I don't know what it is but paying for stuff at other sites just bugs me. I think it's because I look at the shipping costs and then wonder "what other cigars could I have gotten instead of paying that".

Anyways, random bead thought :D
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    doromath:
    I'm looking at getting some beads to use as the humidification in my second humidor as I'm hoping to overflow my current one soon.

I wish CCOM would start carrying the Conserva-Gel. I don't know what it is but paying for stuff at other sites just bugs me. I think it's because I look at the shipping costs and then wonder "what other cigars could I have gotten instead of paying that".

Anyways, random bead thought :D
    I would definatley go with the Conservagel Beads. I have heard some guys saying that the shipping was too much from them. When I ordered and got told the shipping charges I informed the guy that there were prepaid US Postal shipping boxes which he could easily fit the beads into and the weight then is NOT an issue. He agreed to look into it and when he found it to be true he agreed and sent my beads to me that way. I believe I paid less then $15 for two pounds of beads.
    I don't know why they did not just start using this cheaper method of shipping from then on, but it appears that they just went back to a standard shipping charge and then they can pocket a few extra dollars off each sale. I would ask about having them shipped in the US Postal Service box of whatever size you require and they should agree to do this. They did with me. Good luck. These beads work excellently as well.
  • Options
    Good thinking. I think when the times comes I'll do the same. I'll give them some sob story about being overseas, but still having an American APO address and hopefully they'll hook me up with cheap shipping.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    conservagels are working great for me, but I havent been using them that long. TIme will tell, but for now seemed like a better price for the same stuff that heartfelt offers
  • Options
    JimmyCJimmyC Posts: 38
    Hello Everyone... new to the site and love all the great info.

First question is on aging cigars in a coolador. Do you leave the cello wrapper on the box if you intend to age for 12 to 18 months? Dose it matter?

Thanks,

JimmyC
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    JimmyC:
    Hello Everyone... new to the site and love all the great info. First question is on aging cigars in a coolador. Do you leave the cello wrapper on the box if you intend to age for 12 to 18 months? Dose it matter? Thanks, JimmyC
    There is no right or wrong answer for this. Personally, I would leave them in the box but take the wrapper off the outside of the box. But as long as you are around 70%, you'll be fine either way. There are some guys here that prefer to "age" cigars closer to 65%. To each his own.
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    JCizzle:
    Good thinking. I think when the times comes I'll do the same. I'll give them some sob story about being overseas, but still having an American APO address and hopefully they'll hook me up with cheap shipping.

If you use the site rob posted earlier (http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL) shipping is the flat 9.99 I got mine through the DPO in about a week.
  • Options
    JimmyC:
    Hello Everyone... new to the site and love all the great info. First question is on aging cigars in a coolador. Do you leave the cello wrapper on the box if you intend to age for 12 to 18 months? Dose it matter? Thanks, JimmyC
    Jimmy... LOVE the avatar! That's all I got... I used to store my cigars naked, but after a few incidents, I have been leavin the cellos on... I leave them on purely for protection...
  • Options
    robbyras:
    JimmyC:
    Jimmy... LOVE the avatar! That's all I got... I used to store my cigars naked, but after a few incidents, I have been leavin the cellos on... I leave them on purely for protection...
    I think he may have been talking about BOX aging. I leave mine on... but only to remind myself that I am NOT supposed to be in that box. Otherwise I may not be stroong enough LOL.
    Doesn't really matter, but like Robby said, with individual sticks... it does provide some protection, I leave mine on if they come with them.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    JimmyC:
    I would suggest opening the box of cigars however tempting it is to leave it sealed and "new" IMO boxes should be opened up and checked every once in a while even if temp and RH are good but you want to monitor your cigars from time to time, nothing worse then opening up a box to find mold for some reason or beetles....
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    JimmyC:
    I would suggest opening the box of cigars however tempting it is to leave it sealed and "new" IMO boxes should be opened up and checked every once in a while even if temp and RH are good but you want to monitor your cigars from time to time, nothing worse then opening up a box to find mold for some reason or beetles....
    I don't disagree with the rationale at all. I just am not strong enough. I also have not (touch wood) ever had a molding problem in a new box. I have heard though that some of the Liberties were bad for molding inside the little coffins. My problem is that when it comes time to "monitor" my cigars... there is only one way I know how to be sure, and that defeats the purpose of trying to box age them.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    robbyras:
    JimmyC:
    I think he may have been talking about BOX aging. I leave mine on... but only to remind myself that I am NOT supposed to be in that box. Otherwise I may not be stroong enough LOL.
    Doesn't really matter, but like Robby said, with individual sticks... it does provide some protection, I leave mine on if they come with them.
    yeah... i didn't really read the question... I see cello and I think individual sticks...
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    JimmyC:
    I do this and, quite frankly, I like looking at them so I don't mind.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Welppp my 100qt cooler is officially set up. Waiting for everything to season properly now. 2 lbs of beads in stockings, but sadly only like 6 boxes in there right now (empty, no sticks yet... not until everything settles humidity wise). Need to fill it up.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Welppp my 100qt cooler is officially set up. Waiting for everything to season properly now. 2 lbs of beads in stockings, but sadly only like 6 boxes in there right now (empty, no sticks yet... not until everything settles humidity wise). Need to fill it up.
    How well do stockings work? been thinkin about using em. Find any diff with diff types?
  • Options
    Only used one kind. 2 for .50 at the pharmacy where I work. Got a half pound in each one (4 total), and they seem to be working perfectly so far. They are super breathable, but hold everything just fine.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Only used one kind. 2 for .50 at the pharmacy where I work. Got a half pound in each one (4 total), and they seem to be working perfectly so far. They are super breathable, but hold everything just fine.
    I use these as well, work well...
  • Options
    Question on the beads... can you use them in a regular humidor also? Do they come in pucks like the foam filled ones that come with humidors?
  • Options
    you sure can... I have them in all of mine... depending on where you get them, they will come in bags or tubes... Heartfelt may have pucks as well...
  • Options
    JimmyC:
    Question on the beads... can you use them in a regular humidor also? Do they come in pucks like the foam filled ones that come with humidors?
    I use them in everything, humidors, coolers and herfador when travelling...
  • Options
    JimmyC:
    If you buy them from Heartfelt, who I love dealing with personally, you can get them in several different container styles. I use the tubes of beads they sell in both of my regular humidors and they work flawlessly.

In my new coolerdor, I am currently running 2lbs of 65% beads, one lb from Heartfelt, and one lb of Conservagel beads, which the guys here turned me on to like a day after I ordered from heartfelt. For smaller quantities, I will definitely be buying from heartfelt still in the future, as I like supporting his business (small, family owned business, and very easy to deal with... just feels good to help out the little guy too), but for large quantities the conservagel beads are a great bargain. Both seem to be working perfectly in my new set up (100qt Igloo Sportsman, with 4 stockings full of beads, 1/2 lb each)
  • Options
    When summer rolls around is there a way to maintain a cool temp? Last summer my a/c couldent keep the temps down below 70 when the heat waves hit the east coast. Guess I worried about mold.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    JimmyC:
    When summer rolls around is there a way to maintain a cool temp?
    Wine cooler conversions. Expensive electronic humidors. Or, put your humi in the coolest part of the house, and make sure you're in the 65-67% Rh range. As long as you don't go well into the 80s it should be fine.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    JimmyC:
    When summer rolls around is there a way to maintain a cool temp?
    Wine cooler conversions. Expensive electronic humidors. Or, put your humi in the coolest part of the house, and make sure you're in the 65-67% Rh range. As long as you don't go well into the 80s it should be fine.
    Agreed. I'm sure it's not great to have temps in the mid-high 70's, but I haven't been able to keep temps any lower in the summer and haven't had any problems with bugs or mold.
  • Options
    with the new coolador threads being created, I thought this needed to be resurrected