Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Man O' War Armada

Comments

• Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Alex Svenson:
    Burn was the biggest challenge with this cigar. 100% of the filler is lager and even the wrapper is ligero. The only non ligero leaf is the viso binder. Those heavy tobaccos bring the flavor but burn super slow. I have not had any major burn issues with mine thus far. Will have to pop a box open.
    I had one on Thursday Perfect burn, perfect draw, great flavor. Seemed to burn forever. Great stick can't wait to try the ones I'm aging. Over all a good stick

I nubbed it out even with it only being in the low teens.
  • Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    I cant wait to try this cigar, I have a few resting in the humi. I used to use a cheap cutter and it messed up alot of the cigars I smoked. I would definatly pop for a nice cutter, it's the best thing I did for my cigar hobbie. A clean cut adds so much to the experiance of a cigar! Thanks for the reveiw...I think I may pull out one of the Armadas a little early...say...tonight!!!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    SmokySuit:
    I cant wait to try this cigar, I have a few resting in the humi. I used to use a cheap cutter and it messed up alot of the cigars I smoked. I would definatly pop for a nice cutter, it's the best thing I did for my cigar hobbie. A clean cut adds so much to the experiance of a cigar! Thanks for the reveiw...I think I may pull out one of the Armadas a little early...say...tonight!!!
    +1. You can skimp on a lighter but a bad cutter will just pi$$ you off! As for the armada, I'm sparking one up tomorrow! Can't wait!
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    A Xikar cutter was one of my first investments. :)
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Thursday night, after my last final, I am going to come home and smoke one of these. Looking forward to trying it, and being done with the semester.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had one on Saturday with about a month of age and I got tar buildup. I'm attributing it to a little too moist and the draw was tight so the punch must have contributed too it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Good thing you have plenty in reserve! I hope to smoke one this weekend.
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    I've got 6 coming in the mail, the suspense is killing me, they are going to need a rest though after a couple of weeks in the mail :(
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got the 2 deal a couple weeks ago, going to let them rest awhile, speaking of cutters, i smoke at home so does anyone have any input on the Xikar sissor cutters? got a couple that not happy with, if i can refrain a month without spending my xtra $$$ on cigars witch cutter can anyone reccomend? Xikar are best?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jj20030:
    got the 2 deal a couple weeks ago, going to let them rest awhile, speaking of cutters, i smoke at home so does anyone have any input on the Xikar sissor cutters? got a couple that not happy with, if i can refrain a month without spending my xtra $$$ on cigars witch cutter can anyone reccomend? Xikar are best?
    The Xikar MTX folding scissors are awesome. They are small and fit easily into a pocket and the cut they make is first rate, precise and smooth as butter. I've had a few different cutters including the Xikar Xi3, and the scissors are far superior.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    j0z3r:
    jj20030:
    The Xikar MTX folding scissors are awesome. They are small and fit easily into a pocket and the cut they make is first rate, precise and smooth as butter. I've had a few different cutters including the Xikar Xi3, and the scissors are far superior.
    How long did it take for you to get used to them? I've heard scissors aren't used much because it's easier to screw up the cut than with a typical cutter, so I've stayed away from them (thought I gotta admit they look classy)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    j0z3r:
    jj20030:
    How long did it take for you to get used to them? I've heard scissors aren't used much because it's easier to screw up the cut than with a typical cutter, so I've stayed away from them (thought I gotta admit they look classy)
    I had heard the same thing, but they felt completely natural and each cut has been perfect from the very first one. A steady hand is all it takes...at least with these, I can't speak for all scissors.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    xmacro:
    j0z3r:
    jj20030:
    I had heard the same thing, but they felt completely natural and each cut has been perfect from the very first one. A steady hand is all it takes...at least with these, I can't speak for all scissors.

+1, I picked these up immediately after I got back from a herf with Joe and saw them in action. Definately one of the best investments in my cigar career. Like Joe says, all it takes is a steady hand, most of the time now I am literally just cutting off the cap. Also, great to use when you get down to the nub and really don't want to put it down, just use slight pressure on the scissors to hold it and you get 15 more minutes of cigar goodness. (of course I only do this when I am smoking alone)
  • Options
    DynaguyDynaguy Posts: 51
    One of the best cigars I have ever smoked. Full of flavor, not a super powerhouse, just lots of rich flavors. Long lasting, too. I usually herf a cigar pretty quickly, this lasted about an hour and a half. Gotta get some more of these. Proof positive that AJ Fernandez is truly a master.
  • Options
    Thanks j0z3r, thanks bandy - I'll definitely be checking those scissors out

I just smoked the last MOW Armada I had from the COTM subscription. I really dig this stick - smooth, balanced, and very delicious; the flavors were there in spades, but they were always subdued, smooth, and balanced with each other - nothing ever really dominated, and nothing overwhelmed my palate. It's got some good power to it, but the body doesn't hit you - never once did I ever think it was over-powering. It wasn't until the nub that I felt anything, and even then, it was just a pleasant buzz that never made me sick at all. All in all, just a really nice stick.

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Love a good pair of scissors. I only wish the XiKar scissors were a LITTLE bigger. Not much, just a little bit. As for a recommended cutter, I have never found one that performed better than my Palio.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Love a good pair of scissors. I only wish the XiKar scissors were a LITTLE bigger. Not much, just a little bit. As for a recommended cutter, I have never found one that performed better than my Palio.
    I got a pair of Cuban Cutters, the type with the backing plate as a back-up a few months ago, and I've been using them as my main cutters ever since. I just love these things.
  • Options
    Just finished one.... Well I thought it was a smooth and mild stick. Not like a conni mild but not at all what I was expecting. All that ligero and I thought it would be strong. Not at all, well to me at least. I look forward to trying this in about a year. Not sure if many years would be kind to this stick....
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Squirrel do you usually use your nose and exhale through the nose at all when you smoke? For me, I find I pick up 90% of the best nuances in the armada using my nose. Just curious as to the method.
  • Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    I have a few of these on the way, I can't wait to try them! I really need to get a new cutter as I was stuck cutting my Nub 460 last night with a razor blade since my current cutter couldn't handle it!

• Options
    Alex Svenson:
    Squirrel do you usually use your nose and exhale through the nose at all when you smoke? For me, I find I pick up 90% of the best nuances in the armada using my nose. Just curious as to the method.
    Sure do. More flavor for sure that way.
  • Options
    I just finished my first one and I also found it to be pretty light. I'd say about medium bodied, not stronger than the original MoW, and certainly not stronger than the Ruination. The stick was ok, but I'm reserving judgment until I've had one that has at least 6 months to a year of rest. I'm hoping/expecting that in that time it will be much better. I'm going to forget about them until summer. I was hoping to be so blown away that I was forced to scrape together the cash to buy a box, but that was not the case.
  • Options
    This cigar has gotten really good marks from some reviewers whose opinions I generally take to heart. The one stick I have in the humi looks and smells fantastic. The wrapper is really impressive. Am I correct, Alex, that it does not actually go through any maduro process, and is just naturally that dark from aging and normal fermentation (plus being a high quality leaf)? I may be missing it somewhere, but what exactly is the blend like on this cigar (don't need super detailed info, just what tobacco is used)?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    This cigar has gotten really good marks from some reviewers whose opinions I generally take to heart. The one stick I have in the humi looks and smells fantastic. The wrapper is really impressive. Am I correct, Alex, that it does not actually go through any maduro process, and is just naturally that dark from aging and normal fermentation (plus being a high quality leaf)? I may be missing it somewhere, but what exactly is the blend like on this cigar (don't need super detailed info, just what tobacco is used)?
    it is not a maduro. there is extra fermentation on the wrapper leaf but not done in the way a maduro is done.
    the blend is a secret blend with a heavy hand on the nicaraguan ligero -- including the wrapper leaf (if i am not mistaken). the binder is nicaraguan seco. there are other tobaccos in there but if Alex told anyone then it wouldnt be a secret anymore.

whats the saying?

... two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with Squirrel on this one. It was a good stick, but I didn't find it strong or spicy but more on the mild side in both strength and flavor. I have a feeling it has to do with the extensive fermentation on the tobacco (much like the Cain F). While it has worked nicely for the burn and to tame the flavors a bit, I was expecting a bit more pepper and strength. This was more along the lines of a nice fall afternoon cigar, not a big after dinner powerhouse like I was expecting.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    docbp87:
    it is not a maduro. there is extra fermentation on the wrapper leaf but not done in the way a maduro is done.
    the blend is a secret blend with a heavy hand on the nicaraguan ligero -- including the wrapper leaf (if i am not mistaken). the binder is nicaraguan seco. there are other tobaccos in there but if Alex told anyone then it wouldnt be a secret anymore.

whats the saying?

See, that's an example of where there needs to be more transparency in the tobacco industry... Just my opinion. I have a lot of respect for the guys like J Drew and Pete who readily list the blend information on their websites (and in the case of Liga Privada, on the box itself) for those of us who want/need to know what is in our cigar.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I was expecting a bit more pepper and strength. This was more along the lines of a nice fall afternoon cigar, not a big after dinner powerhouse like I was expecting.
    Yeah, that's kinda what I thought, only worded better.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I tend to agree with Squirrel on this one. It was a good stick, but I didn't find it strong or spicy but more on the mild side in both strength and flavor. I have a feeling it has to do with the extensive fermentation on the tobacco (much like the Cain F). While it has worked nicely for the burn and to tame the flavors a bit, I was expecting a bit more pepper and strength. This was more along the lines of a nice fall afternoon cigar, not a big after dinner powerhouse like I was expecting.
    Heh, just one more example of how personal this hobby can be - everything you listed about the cigar I agree with, except I see it all as a plus - I'd be totally turned off if this was a powerhouse, or had more pepper or more strength.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying I was totally put off by it, but rather let down by my expectations of the cigar. Had I paired it appropriately and not expected one thing, I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more. I do agree though, that this is a very personal hobby, much as alcohol and food tasting. It really demonstrates the saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

Knowing what I know about the cigar now, I'd probably pair it with something lighter to eat and drink either in the morning or early afternoon, preferably early fall, sitting out on the deck. Not that I'm comparing flavors, but I think it would be the cigar I would reach for if I didn't have a Perdomo ESV 91 Maestro Cameroon Tubo on hand (perfect fall cigar).
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    kuzi16:
    docbp87:

whats the saying?

See, that's an example of where there needs to be more transparency in the tobacco industry... Just my opinion. I have a lot of respect for the guys like J Drew and Pete who readily list the blend information on their websites (and in the case of Liga Privada, on the box itself) for those of us who want/need to know what is in our cigar.
    i mean, i can respect that. how about coke's secret formula? KFC's 13 secret spices?
    many brands were built on secret formulas.
    its nopt like you dont know whats in there.
    at some point its all tobacco....

... right?

iduno. i can see both sides.