Home General Discussion
Options

The unofficial “AJ WE WANT CORONA VITOLA” thread!!!

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    This entire thread made my day. There is a time and place for larger ring smokes, but I really enjoy smaller rings in general.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    sightunseen:
    This entire thread made my day. There is a time and place for larger ring smokes, but I really enjoy smaller rings in general.
    Nope. Just longer ones. Never a need for huge rings in my book. A 52 ring torpedo is one thing, but a parejo that big is unnecessary, and just mutes a blend. Instead of making a cigar fatter, just make it longer. 7.5x38 is better than 4x60 any day in my book.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    sightunseen:
    Nope. Just longer ones. Never a need for huge rings in my book. A 52 ring torpedo is one thing, but a parejo that big is unnecessary, and just mutes a blend. Instead of making a cigar fatter, just make it longer. 7.5x38 is better than 4x60 any day in my book.
    I'm usually a 50 and under guy, but sometimes after a huge meal, I like a big meaty smoke like an AB Maxx. You make a great point on how larger rings mutes a blend. I think that certain blends (like the Maxx) work in a larger ring format. When I want to sit down and really experience a cigar and all of its nuances, then it's small ring for me.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Alex Svenson:
    While a lot of guys around here like this size (myself included), they dont sell well overall. This may be your only chance to pick these blends up on this size so don't go falling in love LOL. But seriously, would love your feedback. Perhaps if there is a unanimous favorite we can try to roll it out as a regular size available exclusively at Cigar.com
    In the online community at least (the larger online cigar community, the forums, blogs, twitter, etc.) the preference has definitely made a swing back to the smaller sizes. I think the 107 Lancero is a prime example of this shift. In smaller numbers, limited runs, etc. which are what the enthusiasts really go for, the smaller rings are definitely "in".
    also the liga privida dirty rat, that thing is so hard to get a hold of but the small ring guage shows that it is coming back
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Christian_Sapp:
    docbp87:
    Alex Svenson:
    While a lot of guys around here like this size (myself included), they dont sell well overall. This may be your only chance to pick these blends up on this size so don't go falling in love LOL. But seriously, would love your feedback. Perhaps if there is a unanimous favorite we can try to roll it out as a regular size available exclusively at Cigar.com
    In the online community at least (the larger online cigar community, the forums, blogs, twitter, etc.) the preference has definitely made a swing back to the smaller sizes. I think the 107 Lancero is a prime example of this shift. In smaller numbers, limited runs, etc. which are what the enthusiasts really go for, the smaller rings are definitely "in".
    also the liga privida dirty rat, that thing is so hard to get a hold of but the small ring guage shows that it is coming back
    They're actually not that hard to find. In fact, I have seen them in stock more places, and more often than most of the regular LP lines haha.

But yes, the fact that a corona that costs $11 or $12 for a single has done as well as the Dirty Rat has says something... either people are willing to pay that kind of money for a corona because they like small rings, or they are willing to smoke small rings because the blend is good, or they will pay that because the blend is good. Regardless, the consensus among reviewers lately seems to be that the short-fat trend, and even the 6x60 trend is going the way of the dinosaur, in flavor of better blending, with better wrapper:filler ratios, because there is more flavor there. The reactions that I saw from the online community to all of the short fatties released at the last IPCPR was pretty much "uh... we're over the gimmick. Should have come out with long and skinnies. Short Robustos are out, lanceros are in." As long as they are GOOD lanceros, like the OR El Triunfador/Oliva V/anything Litto makes in that size/etc. Personally, give me more corona gordas, panatelas of any length, and lonsdales, and I'm a happy man. Oh, and for the summer time, double coronas and churchills. The real vitolas though. A double corona is not a 7.5x60, it's a 7.6x49, just like a Churchill is 7x47. When was the last time you saw a Churchill that had a 47 ring? Not often enough, outside of Cuba.

/ rant
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Christian_Sapp:
    docbp87:
    Alex Svenson:
    They're actually not that hard to find. In fact, I have seen them in stock more places, and more often than most of the regular LP lines haha.

But yes, the fact that a corona that costs $11 or $12 for a single has done as well as the Dirty Rat has says something... either people are willing to pay that kind of money for a corona because they like small rings, or they are willing to smoke small rings because the blend is good, or they will pay that because the blend is good. Regardless, the consensus among reviewers lately seems to be that the short-fat trend, and even the 6x60 trend is going the way of the dinosaur, in flavor of better blending, with better wrapper:filler ratios, because there is more flavor there. The reactions that I saw from the online community to all of the short fatties released at the last IPCPR was pretty much "uh... we're over the gimmick. Should have come out with long and skinnies. Short Robustos are out, lanceros are in." As long as they are GOOD lanceros, like the OR El Triunfador/Oliva V/anything Litto makes in that size/etc. Personally, give me more corona gordas, panatelas of any length, and lonsdales, and I'm a happy man. Oh, and for the summer time, double coronas and churchills. The real vitolas though. A double corona is not a 7.5x60, it's a 7.6x49, just like a Churchill is 7x47. When was the last time you saw a Churchill that had a 47 ring? Not often enough, outside of Cuba.

/ rant
    are you kidding me ive been trying to get a box of the dirty rats for so long, no b&m that i have gone to has them and ccom is out of boxs but there are getting some in sometime hopefully soon cuz i only have 1 and im stuck waiting
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    In the coming weeks there will be a weekend blitz on a special AJ sampler which will have 16 5 x 42 coronas, 2 each of 8 blends. I dont remember of the top of my head but i think it was La Herencia, La Herencia OF, Man O War, Man O War Ruination, Man O War Virtue, Diesel, Diesel Unlimited and Ave Maria. Keep an eye out for it.
    Wow!!! Definitely holding off on spending until this blitz. I can see hitting the "add again" button a few times before checking out. Finally, some corona sized cigars on a blitz/DD!!!
  • Options
    NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    cant wait for this deal!
  • Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Pump! I hope this deal comes soon!!!
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Only a week or two more.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the Ruination in the corona is great.
    thanks alex
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

dear lord

... The MoW Armada Corona is amazing.

i was privileged enough to get my hands on one a few weeks ago.
    the corona size brings out more of the wrapper on the cigar. this lets vanilla notes come out through the nose while still retaining the spicy and overall flavor profile of the cigar.

personally i feel that this vitola is better than the original 6.5 x 56 size.

im nothing short of amazed by this cigar.
  • Options
    im jealous! cant wait for the deal.
  • Options
    i dont think the deal included an armada corona though, sounds tasty.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm so ready for this deal!!!
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    Only a week or two more.
    Fantastic!!!!! Thanks for the update Alex! Any word on the price and definate line up?
  • Options
    First the bad news. The shipment of the corona samplers is late so the weekend sale is postponed. The good news, I got a few in a small shipment, not enough for the big sale but some. Keep an eye on daily cigar deal site this week hint hint!!
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    First the bad news. The shipment of the corona samplers is late so the weekend sale is postponed. The good news, I got a few in a small shipment, not enough for the big sale but some. Keep an eye on daily cigar deal site this week hint hint!!
    I am going to be F5-ing the DD page for the rest of the week. Thanks for the heads up, Alex.
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    Thanks for the update, can't wait get these!!!
  • Options
    Week is almost over and I haven't seen them come up. Hope I didn't miss this somehow.
  • Options
    Yea, I've been watching closely for these all week too. It's a sampler I'll be jumping on!
  • Options
    No it hasn’t been offered yet. But yea I’m waiting on it also. All cigar budgets are frozen until I see what is in this sampler and how much it’s going to cost. I hope nothing happened to the small quantity Alex got. I’m only about 2 hours from the Ccom location. If it doesn’t go on DD soon I may have to buy a ski mask and a black suit and infiltrate the premises via an air duck to liberate the Coronas from their stockroom jail cell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    SmokySuit:
    No it hasn’t been offered yet. But yea I’m waiting on it also. All cigar budgets are frozen until I see what is in this sampler and how much it’s going to cost. I hope nothing happened to the small quantity Alex got. I’m only about 2 hours from the Ccom location. If it doesn’t go on DD soon I may have to buy a ski mask and a black suit and infiltrate the premises via an air duck to liberate the Coronas from their stockroom jail cell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I cannot, in good conscience, ever condone such reckless behavior.......

..... but you still have my addy, right? ;-)
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Haha! Don't worry I do!
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    SmokySuit:
    Me too!!! My budget is also frozen until I know what I'm up against with these coronas.
  • Options
    Still watching and waiting for this deal... Curious what the price will be. Regardless I'll be jumping on this deal!
  • Options
    Must.....have.....corona DD.......dying.....
  • Options
    Second shipment just landed so we are back to the weekend sale. Should be the blitz this week.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Very cool.
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    Second shipment just landed so we are back to the weekend sale. Should be the blitz this week.
    Sounds great to me! Thanks for the update Alex, you are the best sir!