Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

More Reviews

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I really like this one, as well. The first one I had was, I think, an enormous churchill and it was great. Now I smoke the Edmundo size. Just don't have time for those churchills.
    Rob1110:
    or sleeping in the same bed with lots of cocoa beans
    Monte's are ****. The whole school knows it.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    haha...Monte=Whorish, Cristo=Cigars.

Media Noche=The **** of the Night.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Rob1110:
    haha...Monte=Whorish, Cristo=Cigars.

Media Noche=The **** of the Night.

Damn , do ya hafta wear a condom to smoke one of these ....
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey G, I guess it depends on what else you are doing at the same time.
  • Options
    kaspera79:

But your honor , I swear these burn marks are a sign of enjoyment NOT abuse
  • Options
    Just had my Gurkha Status with my morning/afternoon coffee and some breakfast cookies. I need to premise this one by saying the Status does not come in celophane, but in a big glass tube. My advice: either store it in the glass tube or find some celo to put it in. I made the mistake of storing it naked and the wrapper is extremely delicate and brittle. Long story short, after lots of moves, this cigar was just short of falling apart before I even lit it up. Sucks.

Burn issues aside, for the $14 that I paid, I could name mild cigars that are much cheaper and just as good or better without the almost 2 hour burn time. The Status is a huge cigar and just not interesting enough to justify its size. Very mild and creamy, but too consistent throughout. If you're looking to try this one, do yourself a favor and buy a 5 pack of 5 Vegas Gold. You'll get 5 cigars for 5 mornings with your coffee, and they'll last just enough time to finish coffee and breakfast, not coffee, breakfast and then into lunch. Again, I'd also recommend just about anything from the Ashton classic line or the Perdomo Champagne - both of which will cost more than the 5 Vegas Golds, but both fantastic mild cigars.

In the end, while I didn't hate this cigar, it's obvious that I didn't love it and for the price point, I just can't recommend it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Just had my Gurkha Status with my morning/afternoon coffee and some breakfast cookies. I need to premise this one by saying the Status does not come in celophane, but in a big glass tube. My advice: either store it in the glass tube or find some celo to put it in. I made the mistake of storing it naked and the wrapper is extremely delicate and brittle. Long story short, after lots of moves, this cigar was just short of falling apart before I even lit it up. Sucks.

Burn issues aside, for the $14 that I paid, I could name mild cigars that are much cheaper and just as good or better without the almost 2 hour burn time. The Status is a huge cigar and just not interesting enough to justify its size. Very mild and creamy, but too consistent throughout. If you're looking to try this one, do yourself a favor and buy a 5 pack of 5 Vegas Gold. You'll get 5 cigars for 5 mornings with your coffee, and they'll last just enough time to finish coffee and breakfast, not coffee, breakfast and then into lunch. Again, I'd also recommend just about anything from the Ashton classic line or the Perdomo Champagne - both of which will cost more than the 5 Vegas Golds, but both fantastic mild cigars.

In the end, while I didn't hate this cigar, it's obvious that I didn't love it and for the price point, I just can't recommend it.
    I'd say I'd agree with that. The status is a beautiful cigar but I did enjoy the vegas gold much more as well as the gurkha turk. The beauty is much better too.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:

But your honor , I swear these burn marks are a sign of enjoyment NOT abuse
    Wow... I think year of repressed memories just flooded out with that statement... haha
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rob,, I've said it before. Don't use price as a basis for how good a cigar will be. Many of the best cigars I've had fall in the 7 dollar or less range.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'd say I'd agree with that. The status is a beautiful cigar but I did enjoy the vegas gold much more as well as the gurkha turk. The beauty is much better too.

I agree on the turk and vegas and I'm hoping the beauty is better - I just ordered 2 of them. And I agree with you Kas, but I bought this cigar about a year ago when I was easily suckered into the fancy packaging and hype (ok, sometimes I still am). 5 Vegas is the best example of that. La Aroma de Cuba is another great cigar that's very reasonably priced. On the other hand, I also love some of La Aurora's more pricey sticks, as well as the $25 Gurkha Royal Salute.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    phobicsquirrel:

I agree on the turk and vegas and I'm hoping the beauty is better - I just ordered 2 of them. And I agree with you Kas, but I bought this cigar about a year ago when I was easily suckered into the fancy packaging and hype (ok, sometimes I still am). 5 Vegas is the best example of that. La Aroma de Cuba is another great cigar that's very reasonably priced. On the other hand, I also love some of La Aurora's more pricey sticks, as well as the $25 Gurkha Royal Salute.
    hey fancy stuff is cool! hehe.. well I knew the status was going to be mild, it is even stated on the description.. something like one of gurkha's mildist cigars. The beauty is woody, creamy, and nutty. It too is mild but much better than the status. I have on left and am torn on getting a box. I'm going to smoke my other one and see. It's a spendy cigar and if you take price in consideration is it worth it? well that depends on how much you can get it for. Though I do think that price is usually not going to bring with it the best. though you don't know unless you try.
  • Options
    Quick review before bed. Today I lit up one of my Padilla Achilles Salomons. It was mild, but nice. It would be a great cigar for a morning or early afternoon smoke. Creamy, toasty flavors with some sweet undertones. No spice on this one. Draw was perfect, burn was a bit wavy and needed one correction. Overall, I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i havent had much lick with padilla....
    but those are the flavors i seem to enjoy quite a bit. i should check it out.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    kuzi16:
    i havent had much lick with padilla....
    but those are the flavors i seem to enjoy quite a bit. i should check it out.
    I have not thuroughly enjoyed the padillas that I hhave smoked however I have a few more of them to give them another chance.
  • Options
    Kuz, you got's PM.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    word to big bird.
  • Options
    Felt like splurging a bit tonight, so I bought myself a Camacho Liberty at my local B&M and sat down to relax. I have one currently resting in my aging humidor, but figured if I'm going to put months or years on such an expensive cigar, shouldn't I find out if I'm going to enjoy it in the first place?

Pre-light was a nice, spicy barnyard, tobacco flavor. Nothing special or out of the ordinary, but still nice. Once lit, I was greeted by spice and lots of cedar and wood notes. A little ways in and some leather and more or less earthy notes played around with the spice. Not much sweetness to this cigar, more or less a meaty type of smoke. Draw was excellent and the cigar produced lots of smoke. The burn line wavered a bit, but was always self correcting.

Overall: very nice smoke and now I feel much better about letting that other one age for a while. Now, do I want to pick up another one to age as well???
  • Options
    was it an o8?
  • Options
    Sorry, yes it was an 08. I should have mentioned that. There's another local shop that has the 07 as well and I've considered picking up one of those.
  • Options
    kool. I picked up 3 of them and 2 06's.. I heard the 07 wasn't the greatest, someone here said so. they are spendy though. I'd like to find an 02.
  • Options
    OK, so I got these in fairly recently but just couldn't keep my paws off them. I normally would have let them sit in the humi for another week or so before smoking, but I really wanted to try one.

To start, the cap had a strong spice to it, which made me think this was going to be one strong, spicy cigar. I didn't bother clipping the foot and though you can't properly test the draw, I'd actually recommend not clipping the foot. It's a little more work, might require a touch up, and the initial draw will be a bit tight, but you get to taste the wrapper, and only the wrapper before you actually hit any filler with this cigar.

The initial few draws, though tough, were woodsy with a sweetness that you'd find in pure cane sugar or molasses. Not a dipped sweetness, but a Perdomo Champagne Reserve sweetness - that underlying sweetness - but with more umph than the Perdomo Champagne. That woodsy, sweet character stayed through most of the cigar, which, surprisingly, was not spicy. Almost a little disappointing, but still a great cigar. Once it got going, there was TONS of smoke coming from this puppy. Lots of flavor, though the middle was not quite there for me. Maybe a little age would fix that. Towards the end, more cocoa/leather notes were present.

Bottom line - with some age, I think this may be a fantastic cigar. Nearing the end of it, it was getting really cold and I was ready to go in but I noticed the wrapper at the head of the cigar was beginning to unravel where I clipped it. I pulled that back and peeled the whole wrapper off this cigar to smell it. There was a great, tobacco sweetness to the wrapper that clearly pointed out the sweet undertone that was present through most of the smoke. Another winner for 5 Vegas.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Definitely try another after several weeks Rob, the draw will improve a ton with some rest and the flavor will settle in and give you more balance. I like the Relic myself, think it is a pretty solid offering from 5 Vegas.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Gotta agree, this one's a winner. When mine first arrived I had to smoke one right off the truck (but ground shipment is overnight where I'm located, so minimal shock to the sticks). After a few weeks in the humi they are even better, a few months from now they should be amazing. I'd better order another box while I can.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the relic too. I want a box, and hopefully get it when those damn cask strengths get in. One thing I enjoyed about the relic was the sweetness of it. Can't put my finger on it.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I noticed the wrapper at the head of the cigar was beginning to unravel where I clipped it. I pulled that back and peeled the whole wrapper off this cigar to smell it. There was a great, tobacco sweetness to the wrapper that clearly pointed out the sweet undertone that was present through most of the smoke. Another winner for 5 Vegas.
    One reason why I Only cut cigars with a cutter only when I have too. Even then sometimes I guess I cut too much off and this happens.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I enjoyed the relic too. I want a box, and hopefully get it when those damn cask strengths get in. One thing I enjoyed about the relic was the sweetness of it. Can't put my finger on it.

Have one resting ...I think I'll fire it up this weekend after work ...(damn I wish I were retired)
  • Options
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

Have one resting ...I think I'll fire it up this weekend after work ...(damn I wish I were retired)
    lol.. I keep telling myself during the day I'm going to have a certain cigar later but when I get home the newbies or one's I haven't had yet always win out. They're talking to me gene, really F'ing with my mind!!!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

lol.. I keep telling myself during the day I'm going to have a certain cigar later but when I get home the newbies or one's I haven't had yet always win out. They're talking to me gene, really F'ing with my mind!!!

Brother I can identify with that big time ...same thing here...
  • Options
    I haven't had the regular Habano line, but the Burberry is kind of a neat cigar that one might purchase for conversation purposes only (google it and check it out). The three different wrappers in a checkered pattern looks nice, but serves a second purpose. It should add layers of complexity to the smoke burning through 3 shades of habano wrapper. Being a perfecto, and tripple wrapped, I expected the burn to be a total nightmare, but only one touchup was needed. Aside from one small spot, it burned very evenly all the way down.

The flavor profile was mostly earthy, with notes of tobacco, wood, leather and even coffee. There were some sweet notes of cinnamon matching the coffee very well at the beginning of the cigar. Draw was a tad on the tight side at the beginning, but opened up after a while. The flavors were great throughout the first half, but the 2nd half wasn't quite as good and complex. Not saying that it was bad, just not as great as the first half. I think with a little rest, this will be an excellent cigar that I could highly recommend for a medium bodied cigar.
  • Options
    Now I'm intrigued. they look very cool. might have to try them.