Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

More Reviews

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Rick said these are going to officially become their house blend, so when they run out, they'll eventually be back. He's just had such an overwhelmingly good response on them, the MF team has agreed to continue making them exclusively for Rick.
    This is very good to know - now I won't feel as "rushed" to buy them.
    thanks!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Hey bud, glad you enjoyed those. The presentation is awesome. Did you get the Robusto or the short robusto? Rick said the short robo is smoking the best right now but the robusto shows the most potential for aging some time. Either way, awesome smoke at a reasonable price and only one place you can get it.
    The robusto. I can see it needing some down time though but it's great smoke.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I think I may have some short robos at home. Maybe I'll send one your way.
  • Options
    Tatuaje M80 (2 Guys exclusive; 1 year later) - Last year, 2 Guys Smoke Shop had Pete Johnson of Tatuaje blend what was being called a "follow up" to their exclusive Pepin Blue Label blend - The Firecracker. When these were released last year, this smoke was big, bold, complex and strong but the flavors seemed a bit muddled. It showed potential to be a good candidate for aging. Enough history, on to the smoke.

Prelight brought tobacco and an earthy, barnyard must with a sweetness to it. Immediately upon lighting, I get some heat (I toasted the foot slowly until completely lit as to keep this burning cool) and a slightly off note that I'm going to call "fusil" - a mineral, char note. Beyond that, there are wood, earth, leather and pepper notes trying to come through but still seem muddled. Perhaps these aren't ready yet. Hopefully they'll come around with some age. The strength is felt immediately (more so because I just went for a jog and haven't eaten much today) and really punches you in the gut. The fusil note eventually went away but this is still a cigar that seems like it was blended mainly for strength. Maybe in a few more years...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If the M80 is at all similar to the T110, I'd expect it start coming into its own around the 2 year mark. Up until that point, the T110 was pure, unbridled power.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    If the M80 is at all similar to the T110, I'd expect it start coming into its own around the 2 year mark. Up until that point, the T110 was pure, unbridled power.
    just embrace the "power"
  • Options
    Went to a local B&M yesterday and was looking for something new. One of the reps pointed me towards Byron Cigars and handed me one of their Petite Poems. I noticed the price ($20) and asked what about the blend would make this cigar so worth that much money. He could tell me no more than it was made in Costa Rica with no Costa Rican tobacco and a Nicaraguan Habano wrapper. I told him that's worse marketing than Viaje and I wouldn't buy just based on that. After finding nothing else new or eye-catching, I finally fell victim and bit.

He went on to explain that all of the tobacco is aged 5 years (typical) and the cigars are allowed to rest for at least a year (again, typical of higher end cigars) before shipping. Even once they arrive at the store, they're not allowed to sell them for at least 3 days to allow them to acclimate to the new environment (not impressed yet). I explained that I can get opus, even some God of Fire and even great Cubans for less than this cigar (keep in mind, this is the SMALLEST size they make - this is where the price STARTS with these guys). He then told me that they're trying to compete with the high end Cuban Market (mainly Behike).

Byron Cigars Siglo XIX Petite Poem - The pre-light gave a sweet but earthy cinnamon spice that I'm used to finding in most Opus cigars. A little must and woodiness with a touch of black pepper made this seem promising. The cigar burned a bit uneven and required multiple touch-ups. The flavor profile was fairly complex with notes of barnyard, wood, black pepper, must and leather.
    br> Overall, this was a good cigar. NOT a $20 cigar but a very good cigar regardless. I don't see myself going back and picking up more at this price since there are much better cigars out there for less money. Once again, I fell for the marketing wheel and dropped too much cash on a good but over-priced product. I'll be sure to let them know next time I visit that shop.
  • Options
    Ah that's the worst. Looking around, nothing really new, oh you should try this... 20 bucks, eh ... looking around more. Can't find anything, okay I'm desperate, I'll bite. lol. Maybe if it was 10 bucks would it be worth it? I haven't found many cigars that are worth the 20 bucks. And if they weren't limited or hard to find then I would say none are worth it.
  • Options
    For 10 bucks at B&M prices, it would have been worth it. Oh well, can't win 'em all. I can't honestly say too many are worth $20 but some are definitely better than others at that price point.
  • Options
    Last night had the new ones by Pete Johnson's brother. Solid smokes but didn't take notes. Tonight, Ashley and I went to a Camus Cognac tasting and dinner at Legal Seafoods, courtesy of Camus and Kappy's Liquors in Peabody. You guys know how picky I am and I was VERY impressed with the Camus portfolio and just as impressed with David Kell's knowledge of the product.

Their VSOP was light and fruity with subtle hints of oak, vanilla and cocoa. The XO had more vanilla and oak with some dark fruit - very nice for the price point. Their Extra Excellence was phenomenal - thick, syrupy, amazingly mellowed and soft with round oak tannins, vanilla and earth. Their 1964 Vintage surprisingly had notes of plum and dates mingled with tropical fruit notes, such as mango, guava and pineapple and rounded oak. Their new Isle cognacs have a very Scotch like essence to them with sea air and touches of smoke.

As much as I rave about Pierre Ferrand's products and the care and detail that goes into them, Camus is up there with them.
  • Options
    So the maker is Camus? Sound interesting. Hopefully they bottle and I can find a place to ship.
  • Options
    Yes, the maker is Camus (pronounced camoo). They do bottle and I've found some places online that sell their stuff and ship. I'm gonna start saving for a bottle of that Extra Excellence. Pricey but it was fantastic stuff.

We're hosting a big pumpkin beer tasting tonight (picks to follow) with over 26 DIFFERENT pumpkin beers and some mini-verticals of some of them. I figured it'd be an appropriate time to open up my box of Tat Wolfs from last year and have one. Hasn't changed drastically over the past year but still a very nice smoke. I did get some of the dark fruit notes that I remember with a little less pepper and lots of woody, leathery, Tatuaje-like goodness.
  • Options
    Been a LONG time since I've updated this. Decided to put a few recent recipes up, along with my notes from the recent Eric Solomon European Cellars Portfolio Tasting I went to last week.

I've been doing some cocktail mixings and wine pairings for one of my local liquor stores. For the first two tastings, we focused on classic drinks. First showcasing how fresh ingredients outshine mixers in a Margarita and how different levels of ingredients can completely change the drink (anejo vs blanco, etc). Last time was the Manhattan and some of its variants (Southern Manhattan and a Cuban Manhattan). This time, I've been tasked to mix with Amaro. I'm going a few twists on classics but need to keep the ingredients to a minimum and the recipe simple and relatively cheap.

Cafe Italiana
    3/4 oz Premio Amaro
    3/4 oz Kahlua
    3/4 oz Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
    2 oz Whole Milk or Half & Half

Radio Flyer
    1 oz Premio Amaro
    1 oz Bourbon
    3/4 oz Lemon Juice
    1/4 oz Angostura Bitters
    Lemon Peel for Garnish

Count of Georgetown
    1 oz Premio Amaro
    1 oz Gin
    1 oz Sweet Vermouth
    This one is a play on the classic Negroni Cocktail named after Count Negroni, hence the Count.
  • Options
    And the Wine Tasting notes:

Claude Riffault
    Les Boucauds 2012 Sancerre - Buttered pineapple, toast, mineral notes with a crisp mouthfeel and balanced acidity
    Les Chailloux 2012 Sancerre - Fresh Pineapple with mineral and slate notes. Very crisp and fresh.
    Les Denisottes 2012 Sancerre - Soft, buttery, tropical fruit with a touch of vanilla.
    La Noue Rose 2012 Sancerre - Peach, apricot and slate.

Domaine de la Fruitiere
    Cru Chateau Thebaud L'Aulnaye 2007 Muscadet - Soft, round, light fruit notes but dominated by yeast character.

Domaine des Huards
    Cour-Cheverny Romo 2010 - Crisp and acidic with sulfur and mineral notes.
    Cour-Cheverny Francois 1er 2007 - Loads of flint, minerals, steel tank and a slight yeasty note.

Domaine de la Noblaie
    Blanc 2012 Chinon - Peach, apricot, mango and slate with a very soft, round body.
    Rose 2012 Chinon - Apricot, stone-fruit and a touch of vanilla.

Domaine du Viking
    Viking Sec Tendre 2011 Vouvray - Semi-sweet, grilled pineapple, peach and yeasty notes.

Gramona
    Gessami 2012 Penedes - Peach, apricot and pear - very round body.

Domaine Lafage
    Domaine Lafage Ambre NV Rivesaltes - Sweet wine - Stewed peaches, brandy and stone-fruit.

Domaine Giraud
    Les Gallimardes Blanc 2012 Chateauneuf du Pape - Tart lemon, soft peach, pear and vanilla.
    Tradition 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape - Red fruit, slate and big acid.
    Les Grenaches de Pierre 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape - A bit hot, especially for the price, berries, iron/meat, mineral notes - needs time to come around.
    Gallimardes Rogue 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape - Lots of fruit and big acid structure - will mellow nicely over the coming years.

Domaine de Marcoux
    Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc 2012 - Apple, Lemon and yeast notes with a crisp body.
    Lorentine 2011 Lirac - Lots of spice and stewed plums.

Terroir al Limit
    Pedra de Guix 2010 Priorat - Funk, earth, tart fruit notes and barnyard.
    Torroja - Vi de Vila 2010 Priorat - Barnyard, hay, black cherry, plum, tannin, tobacco.
    L'Arbossar 2010 Priorat - Mellowed funk with big ripe fruit and big tannins - lots of oak.
    Les Manyes 2010 Priorat - just astounding (yeah, that was my only note).
    This table was a new addition to Eric's Portfolio and while his wines are VERY expensive ($50 - $280 per bottle), he's putting a lot of time and care into them. They're using all indigenous/wild yeast for fermentation, which is where you get all of the funk, barnyard and tart notes that I'm such a huge fan of. Very unique wines that demand attention.

Clos Saint Jean
    Blanc 2012 Chateauneuf du Pape - Slate, mineral notes and concrete tank.
    Vieilles Vignes 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape - Dark fruit up front with oak and vanilla notes rounding out the back.
    La Combe des Fous 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape - Good but the Vieilles was better for half the price.

Roger Sabon
    Les Olivets 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape - Cellar, must, wet leaves, dark fruit and oak.
    Prestige 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape - More acid and fruit than Olivets with less earth notes.
    Reserve 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape - Round but still a bit acidic.
    Le Secret des Sabon 2011 Chateauneuf du Pape - Another perfect wine.

Bodegas Aalto
    Bodegas Aalto 2010 - Oak, red berries and round acid.
    Bodegas Aalto PS 2010 - Spicy with toasted oak, black pepper and dark fruit notes.

Benjamin Romeo
    Contador 2010 - Huge oak, vanilla big tannins and rich red fruit.

Familia Nin Ortiz
    Planetes de Nin 2010 Priorat - Barnyard funk, hay, earth, tobacco, fruit and oak.
    Nit de Nin 2010 Priorat - Another perfect wine for the style.
    Ester and her new husband make some absolutely world class wines. I love what they did with Planetes - again going with Indigenous/Wild yeast to give it that funky/earthy character.

Cheers!
  • Options
    CRAP? Did you do all those in one day? Hell I go down the gorge and hit maybe two sometimes 3 vineyards and I'm done. Well I do (trying to think of a word to use that I won't get a joke made) "enjoy" the wine. Some of those sound really good. I'm surprised you could remember all those names.

While I wish I could enjoy all of these great wines and liquors you review I did do a bit of drinking this last weekend. I hit up Cascade and the Hair of the Dog pub's and got a bit tipsy. Here's one I liked quite a bit, though no bottle or even growler to take home (same with the doggie claws barley wine) I might add that I had this, the vlad (which I got you a bottle) a few new ones as samplers then hit up the other pub which I had a few glasses and they all had high ABV.

• Options
    It's a tough job, getting through all those fantastic wines but someone's gotta do it. I do spit (go ahead and make all the jokes you want) most of the wines. I did have some help as to which ones to taste and which tables to skip. In all, there were 38 tables with anywhere from 3 to maybe 15 or so wines on each table. There are entire tables that I'll skip over. As for how I remember, I take notes. They give you a book of everything in the room when you walk in, so I just use that for my notes. Always a ton of fun.

Gotta say, I'm pretty jealous about the HotD and Cascade. I've heard doggie claws is pretty astounding. Only had the Ruth and it was decent. Had the Cascade Sang Noir and it was fantastic. Thank you a ton for the Vlad (and everything else you've picked up). I know you dropped some bucks on that. I didn't realize it was aged in Rum barrels. That's even better!

Federal Cigar is having their 92nd anniversary party this weekend. I'm gonna try to pick up some singles of the new limited Tat and EP Carillo and I'll shoot those out to you. Also have a box full of good beers that I need to ship out to you soon.
  • Options
    yeah the vlad blew that one (pictured) out of the water. Though it was good too, just not as good. I really need to do a good wine tasting though. Sounds like a great time. there are some around but they aren't nearly as cool as what you describe. There was a wine and cheese festival a few weekends ago but it was one day only, Friday I think so I couldn't make it. Seems to be that sours are more or less aged in rum barrels .. as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    I get invited to some of the private, industry tastings through friends in the industry. There are some good public tastings around here but they're not always the best and they can get expensive and REALLY crowded. We've gone to some of the public ones (some we've paid for, some we've gotten comped tickets).

Most sours are actually aged in ex wine barrels. The wine tends to add the fruity character they're looking for in sours and the barrels sometimes already have the lactic bugs that add the sour character. Wild yeast (brettanomyces) on grape skins is common and will help to add the "barnyard funk" that is typical in sours. I think this is actually the first sour I've seen in a rum barrel.
  • Options
    Valdemar Inspiracion Maturana 2005 Rioja - Pours a deep, inky, purple with tinges of maroon around the edges.

On the nose, this wine brings forward fresh, ripe, dark fruit, earth, leather and mineral notes.

The palate opens up with plum, black cherry, char and iron. Alcohol heat is present but not overbearing. Acid structure is in wonderful balance and the tannins are gripping yet balanced. The finish is spice, mineral and earth.

Given the structure of this wine, I'd expect to get another 5 years out of this bottle at an absolute minimum. This absolutely has not reached its peak, though is incredibly drinkable now.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110 said:
    Went to a local B&M yesterday and was looking for something new. One of the reps pointed me towards Byron Cigars and handed me one of their Petite Poems. I noticed the price ($20) and asked what about the blend would make this cigar so worth that much money. He could tell me no more than it was made in Costa Rica with no Costa Rican tobacco and a Nicaraguan Habano wrapper. I told him that's worse marketing than Viaje and I wouldn't buy just based on that. After finding nothing else new or eye-catching, I finally fell victim and bit.

He went on to explain that all of the tobacco is aged 5 years (typical) and the cigars are allowed to rest for at least a year (again, typical of higher end cigars) before shipping. Even once they arrive at the store, they're not allowed to sell them for at least 3 days to allow them to acclimate to the new environment (not impressed yet). I explained that I can get opus, even some God of Fire and even great Cubans for less than this cigar (keep in mind, this is the SMALLEST size they make - this is where the price STARTS with these guys). He then told me that they're trying to compete with the high end Cuban Market (mainly Behike).

Byron Cigars Siglo XIX Petite Poem - The pre-light gave a sweet but earthy cinnamon spice that I'm used to finding in most Opus cigars. A little must and woodiness with a touch of black pepper made this seem promising. The cigar burned a bit uneven and required multiple touch-ups. The flavor profile was fairly complex with notes of barnyard, wood, black pepper, must and leather.
    br> Overall, this was a good cigar. NOT a $20 cigar but a very good cigar regardless. I don't see myself going back and picking up more at this price since there are much better cigars out there for less money. Once again, I fell for the marketing wheel and dropped too much cash on a good but over-priced product. I'll be sure to let them know next time I visit that shop.

Got an email about Byron Cigars, found this review helped me delete it.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )