Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

More Reviews

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Sad to hear about that tempus. I sort of gave up on thinking of getting boxes of them as the price and the cigar itself. Have you had the AVO maddy? I enjoyed it more than the domaine, but the domaine would have to be my 2nd fav of AVO.

...17 years is a bit old...
    I agree 17 is a bit old. When it comes to scotch, I tend to like it how I like my women: 12 years old and mixed with coke.
    rofl!! though disturbing...
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had the AVO maddy. Although the domaine was a decent cigar, I'm not a huge fan of most of the Davidoff creations, so AVO hasn't exactly been my favorite brand. I do enjoy them more than the Davidoffs I've had.

And 17 to 25 is just about right for me.....with scotch! I wouldn't think of mixing an aged single malt with coke. That's ok with a cheaper whiskey, but not a $140 bottle. Last year, I picked up a bottle of 18 year old Macallan that a local liquor store bought a barrel of and had bottled up for them. For $80, it was a fantastic buy. Very smooth, slightly sweet and a touch of smoke with banana nut bread on the nose. The Glenlivet 21 can only be described as velvet. However, that's not to say I'd turn my nose up to a 12 or 15 year.

And sight: Do you put ice cubes in your women too?
  • Options
    I can't speak for Sight, but ice cubes don't last long in a woman...
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I haven't had the AVO maddy. Although the domaine was a decent cigar, I'm not a huge fan of most of the Davidoff creations, so AVO hasn't exactly been my favorite brand. I do enjoy them more than the Davidoffs I've had.

And 17 to 25 is just about right for me.....with scotch! I wouldn't think of mixing an aged single malt with coke. That's ok with a cheaper whiskey, but not a $140 bottle. Last year, I picked up a bottle of 18 year old Macallan that a local liquor store bought a barrel of and had bottled up for them. For $80, it was a fantastic buy. Very smooth, slightly sweet and a touch of smoke with banana nut bread on the nose. The Glenlivet 21 can only be described as velvet. However, that's not to say I'd turn my nose up to a 12 or 15 year.

And sight: Do you put ice cubes in your women too?
    In all seriousness, I am no scotch connoisseur, but I really liked the Glenmorangie 14, which were aged in sherry casks. I want to start experiencing more scotches and other liquors.

And to answer your question, I prefer my women neat (if you get my meaning).
  • Options
    I read ya loud and clear, buddy. And I'm on the same boat. What do you normally drink? A good introductory scotch would be the Glenfiddich 12. It's not too peaty or smoky, fairly smooth, notes of pear and pine from what I can recall. It's no connoisseur's scotch, but it's respectable. Depending on what type of drinks you normally enjoy, I might be able to point you in a direction to get started.
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendation, that sounds really good and I think my liquor store has that for a relatively decent price. When I read your reviews, I really envy the fact that your liquor stores have so much more selection. Liquor stores in WA are owned by the state so selection is limited and prices suck.

The reason why I want to get into liquors is to find some good pairings for my smokes. So specifically, I'm looking into scotches, brandies, and cognacs. I also want to check out ports as well. My girlfriend bought a bottle of Otimo and it was quite delicious.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Thanks for the recommendation, that sounds really good and I think my liquor store has that for a relatively decent price. When I read your reviews, I really envy the fact that your liquor stores have so much more selection. Liquor stores in WA are owned by the state so selection is limited and prices suck.

The reason why I want to get into liquors is to find some good pairings for my smokes. So specifically, I'm looking into scotches, brandies, and cognacs. I also want to check out ports as well. My girlfriend bought a bottle of Otimo and it was quite delicious.
    same thing here too. Though i don't really blame the state however my shops around me usually stock the norm. I'd love to find some samplers of some of the stuff rob has reviewed.
  • Options
    Rocky Patel Summer 08 Robusto - nice construction, perfect draw with a punch and a pre-light of soft hay, tobacco and a slight apple note. On the pallet, this stick gave off notes of light tobacco, hay and sweet spices. It's profile makes it a nice fall morning cigar.

Diesel Unlimited Belicoso - pre-light of barnyard and strong black pepper. Lit with smooth tobacco, cocoa, hay and pepper on the tongue. A bittersweet cocoa note quickly dominated the pallet, leaving the pepper and hay in the background. The smoke was thick and heavy with a long finish.

Paired with Pyrat XO Rum - Caramel, molasses, bananas foster and tropical fruit on the nose. Smooth on the pallet, opening with banana and caramel and finishing with fruit and sugar cane notes. This is a nice rum that is not too heavy on price or in body, but full of flavor. Open it up with a splash of water and it drinks very nicely.
  • Options
    Last night, I tried out a new brand in the cigar world. Some here may already be familiar with 262 cigars, possibly through Jsnake. I found a local shop that carries them while on a trip up to VT last weekend to pick up a new horse trailer with my girlfriend. Having heard nothing but good about this cigar, I had my hopes up, but still wanted to remain neutral in judgment. The cigar is perfectly constructed, no visible veins or lines, cap is applied well, heavy in hand with no soft spots and the foot looks well packed. The band is simple but artistically done and looks like something Pete Johnson might envy.

On the pre-light, I noted cocoa and hints of spice and tobacco. Once lit, the cigar produced lots of cocoa with cinnamon and a light fruit or floral note that was persistently sweet. This sweet note remained for the entire cigar, eventually evolving into a burnt caramel and was actually a nice break from the norm. If anything, this stick may have reminded me, slightly of our forum blend here. It produced lots of smooth, buttery smoke with an easy draw (punched) and an even burn. Though each draw gave an initial sweet note, the cigar finished slightly dry.

I could see this pairing well after dinner with a nice aged rum to complement the sweetness or even with a bourbon or anejo tequila, depending on the meal. Not sure about mixed drinks, but it would definitely go nicely with something like a Manhattan or Cuban Manhattan. Overall, I'd say go and pick one of these up and give it a try if you can. Considering suggested retail of $8-9, I'd say it's price point is spot on. They're planning on releasing a 4x60 later this month or next month that I think would be fantastic with this blend. Also, a mild blend is in the works, also to be released soon. I think these guys have potential here and could easily make their mark in the cigar world with a first stick like the Paradigm.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Great review. This stick is in my top 3. I love the smooth sweetness to the end. I paired it the other night with a glass of sweet Colorado cherry wine...... It was perfect for me.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Last night, I tried out a new brand in the cigar world. Some here may already be familiar with 262 cigars, possibly through Jsnake. I found a local shop that carries them while on a trip up to VT last weekend to pick up a new horse trailer with my girlfriend. Having heard nothing but good about this cigar, I had my hopes up, but still wanted to remain neutral in judgment. The cigar is perfectly constructed, no visible veins or lines, cap is applied well, heavy in hand with no soft spots and the foot looks well packed. The band is simple but artistically done and looks like something Pete Johnson might envy.

On the pre-light, I noted cocoa and hints of spice and tobacco. Once lit, the cigar produced lots of cocoa with cinnamon and a light fruit or floral note that was persistently sweet. This sweet note remained for the entire cigar, eventually evolving into a burnt caramel and was actually a nice break from the norm. If anything, this stick may have reminded me, slightly of our forum blend here. It produced lots of smooth, buttery smoke with an easy draw (punched) and an even burn. Though each draw gave an initial sweet note, the cigar finished slightly dry.

I could see this pairing well after dinner with a nice aged rum to complement the sweetness or even with a bourbon or anejo tequila, depending on the meal. Not sure about mixed drinks, but it would definitely go nicely with something like a Manhattan or Cuban Manhattan. Overall, I'd say go and pick one of these up and give it a try if you can. Considering suggested retail of $8-9, I'd say it's price point is spot on. They're planning on releasing a 4x60 later this month or next month that I think would be fantastic with this blend. Also, a mild blend is in the works, also to be released soon. I think these guys have potential here and could easily make their mark in the cigar world with a first stick like the Paradigm.
    your review makes me wanna go smoke one right now, wish I had one!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    You picked up some stuff I never got when I smoked this cigar. Seems you enjoyed it much more than I. Nice review btw, the caramel seems yummy!!
  • Options
    Thanks. Sorry you didn't enjoy it much. I'd say it's worth another shot. You and I usually share fairly similar tastes, so I thought you'd be into this one.
  • Options
    eh, it wasn't bad like I said but you enjoyed it much more I'd say.
  • Options
    The pre-light draw gave off an odd sweetness that I couldn't quite place but was slightly similar to an acid without the sweetened tip, along with some black pepper. After lighting, the odd note went away and the smoke showed notes of strong cedar, some tobacco and slight barnyard. Medium bodied, this cigar had a long peppery finish. The cigar builds in strength, eventually reaching full strength and adding a bitter cocoa note past the half-way point.

Not a bad cigar, but I felt it wasn't really worth what I paid for it. I can get some opuses for what I paid for this and I've enjoyed most of those a bit more than I did the dirty rat.
  • Options
    I got several in last week that I'll try next week. This vitola seems to have been hyped as much as the Flying Pig.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I got a few too. Probably let em sit for a good couple of months before I touch em though. I will say that they look fantastic.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    I got several in last week that I'll try next week. This vitola seems to have been hyped as much as the Flying Pig.
    yup. To be honest, I thought the flying pig sort of sucked. Sure it looked nice but the several I have had burned crappy and after about the half way mark they lost a lot of the flavor.
    The dirty rat, I would agree what rob on this.
  • Options
    Forgot to post these reviews when I did them.

Man O War Special Edition Salomon - Prelight of tobacco and a hint of black pepper. Lit with tobacco, cedar and again, a hint of pepper. This cigar slowly evolved into a profile of sugar cane, bittersweet cocoa and tobacco notes. It had a slightly oily mouthfeel with a lingering bitter wood note on the finish.

Casa Noble Anejo Tequila - Soft nose of fruit, vanilla and warm spice with agave almost absent after sitting for a few minutes to open up. On the pallet, it showed a complex blend of agave and oak, finishing with sweet vanilla and lingering spice. There was a slight alcohol burn but was still very smooth.

Camacho Liberty 2010 - Prelight draw showed hay and musk with a hint of white pepper. Lit with cedar and resting smoke that smelled heavily of weed. An easy draw produced lots of smoke that was medium in body with a dry mouthfeel and a hint of weed on the finish with white pepper. After only an inch or so, the cigar began to take on a bitter and bland profile. Not a $20 stick.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Forgot to post these reviews when I did them.

Man O War Special Edition Salomon - Prelight of tobacco and a hint of black pepper. Lit with tobacco, cedar and again, a hint of pepper. This cigar slowly evolved into a profile of sugar cane, bittersweet cocoa and tobacco notes. It had a slightly oily mouthfeel with a lingering bitter wood note on the finish.

Casa Noble Anejo Tequila - Soft nose of fruit, vanilla and warm spice with agave almost absent after sitting for a few minutes to open up. On the pallet, it showed a complex blend of agave and oak, finishing with sweet vanilla and lingering spice. There was a slight alcohol burn but was still very smooth.

Camacho Liberty 2010 - Prelight draw showed hay and musk with a hint of white pepper. Lit with cedar and resting smoke that smelled heavily of weed. An easy draw produced lots of smoke that was medium in body with a dry mouthfeel and a hint of weed on the finish with white pepper. After only an inch or so, the cigar began to take on a bitter and bland profile. Not a $20 stick.
    HA! I was wondering if I was the only one that tasted bitterness with the 2010! I was severely upset with the 2010. I have 4 left but hell, wtf? I read a review of it before I picked up a 5er (glad they were cheaper than 18 bucks) but if the rest smoke like this other one I think I'm done with the liberty line. Sad because I love the 08's!
  • Options
    Just realized that I never really did a write up on this cigar when I smoked it, even though I had every intention on doing so. While it's not an official review, I will go ahead and say I think the 60 ring gauge absolutely does wonders for the Cain F blend. I had two robustos and wasn't impressed at all. I felt it was smooth but lacked flavor and wasn't even as strong as I had expected. However, the two Cain Fs with the connecticut wrapper that Sam gave me at the tour were fantastic and while the F nub didn't have the same creaminess from the connie wrapper, it had some nice sweet and spicy flavors from the Habano wrapper. The F nub was definitely a good stick in my opinion. If you're a fan of the Cain Nub Habano, you'll like the F nub.
  • Options
    I've been keeping track of reviews either on my phone or ipod but haven't posted them on here, so here they are.

262 Ideology toro box press - This is 262's followup to the Paradigm. This being a mild bodied cigar, the Paradigm being straight medium. Pre-light was just clean tobacco and a light hay note. Lit with tobacco and a slight creamy, yet earthy sweetness with a lingering, dry, musky finish. There was one crack in the wrapper under the band but it didn't affect the experience or burn line.

262 Paradigm 4 Sixty - The newest size in their Paradigm lineup, I was excited to try this size based on my experience with the Paradigm Toro. Pre-light was sweet hay with a touch of cocoa and a slight floral note. It lit with cedar and an odd sweetness that was familiar but I could not place. I paired this with a Roman Chocolate (1 part Amaretto, 1 part dark Creme de Cacao, 1 part Light Cream) and the pairing went perfectly. The sugarcane-like sweetness in the paradigm makes it an easy cigar to pair and I could see it working very well with most rum based drinks, especially a Cuban Manhattan, a Mojito, Cuba Libre or even with Tequila in a Margarita.

Macanudo 1997 Vintage Maduro Perfecto - I normally don't go for Macs, but again, I figured I'd give them a chance to redeem themselves (I did the same thing with the 68 when they advertised that as their "cigar smoker's cigar - rich and full" - not so much). On the pre-light, I got tobacco, hay and cocoa. With a tight initial draw, I hoped it would open up but it didn't. Some starting notes of toast and cedar with a dry, ashy finish. Beyond that, it just became bland. It's another Macanudo. Just not for me.

5 Vegas Limitada 2006 - Prelight was soft, sweet baking spices and a touch of musty earth, showing its age. It lit with soft notes of cedar, leather and a touch of black pepper with a dry mouthfeel and short finish. Resting smoke was soft and sweet with warm spice notes. I began to pick up a slight bitter note on the pallet about half way through but it never became overbearing or harsh.

Room 101 Limited Edition - this was recommended Roy at 2 Guys Smoke Shop in Seabrook, NH - Pre-light had notes of very sweet tobacco, spice and hay. It lit with peppery spice and sugar cane with a lingering cedar and faint cocoa on the finish. The draw was easy, producing lots of smoke. The ash was a bit flaky and did make a bit of a mess. This cigar slowly builds from a solid medium to bordering all out full by the end with more earth and cocoa notes building and the pepper remaining but slightly muted.

Rocky Patel 15 Year Anniversary - this one was recommended twice by Adam at 2 Guys in Seabrook. This time I took him up on it. Sat down with the cigar, picked up the new Cigar Press and turned to the interview with Rocky Patel (this is starting to become a RP day). About an inch into the cigar, in walks two suits who look like they mean business. Turns out they're Rocky sales reps for the area. Weird. Max, who is the RP sales rep for the New England area was a really nice guy and I talked shop with him for a few minutes. He immediately noticed two things, the cigar and my Old Gringo Boots (again, for anyone looking for cowboy boots, look at Old Gringo - they're a bit on the pricey side but they fit like slippers and the construction and style can't be beat). Enough of that. On to the review.

Pre-light of pepper and sweet tobacco with a wisp of cocoa. Lit with a blast of pepper, earth and sweet cedar on the finish. Lots of rich, thick smoke with a slick mouthfeel. The draw was slightly tight but didn't ruin the experience at all. The pepper mellowed after an inch and earth, leather and cedar became the dominant notes. Occasional mineral notes picked up beyond the first third but never became overwhelming. This cigar was very balanced. The resting smoke had floral and nutmeg-like spice notes.

Camacho Corojo 7/05 - Pre-light was amazing on this cigar, with notes of dried fruit and musk. It lit with soft oak, warm, sweet spices and barnyard. This cigar put out TONS of silky smoke on an effortless draw with an oily mouthfeel and a long finish.
  • Options
    nice reviews. RP has usually let me down and I haven't been impressed by almost all their lines. Did you like the 15th? The corojo is a nice cigar, I need to get more of them.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Nice Job Rob... You got me making a list of some new cigars to give a try.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    lets hear more of what the RP Reps had to say!
  • Options
    I've been on the fence with some RP blends I've had so far. The 99 reserve was a decent mild smoke, the 92 wasn't my favorite but it was ok, the 90 wasn't bad, sungrown was decent, I enjoyed the 08 Summer, had a bad experience with the Edge, enjoyed the Decade and OWR, but the 15th was very nice. I'd have to say it was my favorite by far.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad my reviews are being read and having some influence. The RP rep was just talking about how Rocky just bought EO brands. He handed out some samples of the 601 red label and I handed him a 262 Ideology, which he lit up right away. Unfortunately he didn't say anything about the Ideology but was still smoking it when he left.
  • Options
    Been a while since I've posted any reviews. I've just been really busy lately and haven't had much time. I did come up with one new drink, which I will post first.

I called this Springtime in London (don't worry, I've already mailed in my man card for this one). 2oz Hendricks Gin, 1/2 oz St. Germain and 1/2 oz lavender, chamomile simple syrup (home made - steeped lavender buds and chamomile flowers in hot water and sugar as if making tea, then strained out) - pour all over ice, stir and strain. Serve martini style with a few flowers for garnish if you want. The flowery combos seem to match really well with Hendrick's in particular.

601 Red Label Habano - Prelight of tobacco and not much more. Lit with red pepper, tobacco and sweet cedar. Medium in body with a semi dry mouthfeel, finishing with tobacco and pepper. After about an inch, it faded to a tobacco note and not much more.

Illusione Epernay - Not much on the prelight, but it lit with tobacco and a light hay and cedar note. Medium bodied, thick smoke with only tobacco on the finish. Not very complex, but would do ok for a yard gar or something to have while busy with something else.

Liga Privada T52 - Prelight had a very different, slightly vegetal note that I couldn't quite place but could only describe as "savory." Lit with dry cedar and bitter cocoa and a short, dry finish. Very oily wrapper left a line of oil just beyond the burn line. Actually paired nicely with a grapefruit margarita.

601 Black Label Connecticut - Blast of black and red pepper, cloaked in a mild creaminess that creates a smooth but rich and complex tune. That's all I wrote for notes on that one but I remember really enjoying it.

Cheers!
  • Options
    I found an old review on my ipod and I was at the local cigar bar with my girlfriend and a few friends. Since I never really had that celebratory birthday smoke yet and the holidays are coming up, I decided on a 2fer.

First, the old:

VUDU - hay and an odd sweetness on the prelight. Spice, leather, wood and a hint of mineral bitterness in this medium bodied and medium strength smoke. Not bad, just not great.

Padron Aniversario 64 Natural Diplomatico - Notes of wood, leather, and a slight spice dominated the first half of this cigar with a distinct bitter anise note coming into the second half. All around smooth, creamy and perfectly balanced.

Man O War Armada - Unlit notes of tea, barnyard and fresh tobacco. Lit with cedar and a touch of warm spice and sweetness. Deeper into the cigar revealed notes of sweet cedar, mild cocoa and sweet tobacco. A tight draw and minimal smoke production, but burn was dead even and the ash held well.

I know everyone is up in arms about this new Armada and there have already been mixed reviews for it. I honestly didn't find it to be as strong or peppery as I had expected given the nature of the tobaccos involved. I also can't say it doesn't deserve it's price tag because that is completely a matter of opinion. I'm happy with the two that I got at $10 each but probably won't be running out to get more at $20 a pop or $500 for a box (even though that is a really sweet humidor).

I've got a collection of pretty pricey sticks (GOF, Padron Aniversary, Opus, Gurkha Royal Salute, Camacho Liberty and PE), some of which I got at reasonable prices, others at high prices or MSRP and I've felt most of them have been worth it and justifiable purchases. Sometimes you just have to go out and treat yourself, regardless of the price tag on an item (within reason).
  • Options
    nice reviews Rob. I have a few Armada's coming thanks to some great botls on here and working out a trade with me. I'm really looking forward to them. The '64 is a stick I didn't enjoy all that much. I really like the '26 and don't get me started with the 80th maddy (I've got a box coming). I am eying a family reserve 46 which is from the '64 line. But I've heard it is quite different.
    I think, from what Alex said the price for the Armada is due to the tobacco and how hard it is to get good enough product to make the cigar. I agree 20 bucks is steep for any cigar (in my opinion) however I can appreciate the cost at times. I mean there's a lot of stuff that goes into cigars. From my end, MOW makes some fantastic sticks and for the price are spot on one of my favorite cigars. Even if I do like the Armada I won't really miss them as much since I have the ruination! lol.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Been a while since I've posted any reviews. I've just been really busy lately and haven't had much time. I did come up with one new drink, which I will post first.

I called this Springtime in London (don't worry, I've already mailed in my man card for this one). 2oz Hendricks Gin, 1/2 oz St. Germain and 1/2 oz lavender, chamomile simple syrup (home made - steeped lavender buds and chamomile flowers in hot water and sugar as if making tea, then strained out) - pour all over ice, stir and strain. Serve martini style with a few flowers for garnish if you want. The flowery combos seem to match really well with Hendrick's in particular.

601 Red Label Habano - Prelight of tobacco and not much more. Lit with red pepper, tobacco and sweet cedar. Medium in body with a semi dry mouthfeel, finishing with tobacco and pepper. After about an inch, it faded to a tobacco note and not much more.

Illusione Epernay - Not much on the prelight, but it lit with tobacco and a light hay and cedar note. Medium bodied, thick smoke with only tobacco on the finish. Not very complex, but would do ok for a yard gar or something to have while busy with something else.

Liga Privada T52 - Prelight had a very different, slightly vegetal note that I couldn't quite place but could only describe as "savory." Lit with dry cedar and bitter cocoa and a short, dry finish. Very oily wrapper left a line of oil just beyond the burn line. Actually paired nicely with a grapefruit margarita.

601 Black Label Connecticut - Blast of black and red pepper, cloaked in a mild creaminess that creates a smooth but rich and complex tune. That's all I wrote for notes on that one but I remember really enjoying it.

Cheers!
    You know, you need to put your recipe's in a file or a book or something and send it to people! hehe... (yeah my hand is up). Anyway, about the 601 red, I have to agree with you on much of what you described. The one i smoked got a bit bitter at the end though. Not bad but the Blue is still my favorite.