Home Ratings & Reviews

More Reviews

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    OK, since I got a request for more drink reviews.......screw it. I don't need an excuse to drink. I felt like mixing myself a drink tonight. Seriously though. I did get a request to continue drink reviews and it inspired me. I mixed up two drinks tonight. One for my girlfriend, the other for myself.

First up was a drink taken from the menu of the Alembic Bar in San Francisco. A friend of mine went there recently and raved about it. This is my take on it, since they don't include recipes on their menu.

Poop Deck: 2 oz Landy Desir Cognac, 1 oz Blackberry liqueur, 1 oz Boggle Petit Sirah Port, 2 dashes Angostura Bitters. Stir and strain. Spicy, Fruity and slighty vegetal on the nose, this one was a bit different. Had more of a classic cocktail feel, which I seem to be really enjoying lately. The cognac came through enough both in the nose and on the pallet. The spice from the cognac was softened and sweetness was accented by the berry liqueur and port, while the spice and herbal characteristics of the bitters helped to accent the spice as well.

Spiced, Berry Rum: 2 oz Plantation 20 year Rum, 1 oz Boggle Petit Sirah Port, 1 tsp honey dissolved into 1 oz cold water, 2 dashes Angostura Bitters. Stir and strain. The vanilla of the plantation rum, combined with the honey reminded me, both in the nose and on the pallet, of a few desserts I've made with the two ingredients and usually some fruit such as banana, apple or berries. The port helped to soften the drink a bit and add a slight berry note to the overall feel. The bitters, once again, helped round out the drink and add some spice and complexity to an otherwise sweet honeyed-vanilla drink.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    nicely done..
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great drink reviews, I for one definately appreciate them and quite honestly can't get enough of them. I know it probably takes a lot out of you but for you to step up and force yourself to make a drink just to review for us here on the forum says a lot about what kind of character you have.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    bandyt09:
    Thanks for the great drink reviews, I for one definately appreciate them and quite honestly can't get enough of them. I know it probably takes a lot out of you but for you to step up and force yourself to make a drink just to review for us here on the forum says a lot about what kind of character you have.
    Rob really takes one for the team by drinking for us, and explaining the flavors. With years of training, his stamina for drink pouring is unmatched. Truly a great BOTD (brother of the drink).
    hahaha. I do my best. Hopefully, people find them interesting and useful enough. I'll always post whether or not a drink and cigar were paired together and try to match them up or at least let you know whether or not it was a good match.

If anyone has any suggestions or requests, please feel free. I'll be going to a tasting at my local liquor store this Sunday and will probably end up picking up at least one bottle (probably more).
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Rob, if you haven't already, you should review this drink:

The Last Word.
    Sounds good. I'm liking this one already. I'll hit up the liquor store on the way home (believe it or not, I don't actually have any maraschino liqeur) and hopefully pour myself one of these tonight. Thanks for the input.
    I'm going to kill someone. I just wrote up a page of reviews and got a server error and it erased everything.
    Rob1110:
    I'm going to kill someone. I just wrote up a page of reviews and got a server error and it erased everything.
    Suuuuuuck (you can also replace the "s" with a "f").
    OK, here goes....for the second F*ing time around. I made it to the liqor store and picked up the Maraschino liqueur to make the Last Word that sightunseen requested/recommended.

The Last Word: I found most of the recipes suggested these portions: 1 part Gin (I used Bombay Sapphire), 1 part Green Chartreuse, 1 part Maraschino Liqueur, 1 part lime juice. While the first attempt was way too sour and acidic from the lime, I added a bit of agave nectar to balance it out a bit. Next time around, I'd cut the lime in half and use 1/2 part lime juice and 1/2 part agave nectar, just so it's not so acidic. On the nose, the drink was very floral with sweet herbs and spices. The lime being too strong, it ended up tasting like a spiced, herbal margarita. The juniper from the gin comes through, along with pressed flowers, herbs and spices but they were sadly muted by the dominance of the lime in the original mix. I feel with the reduction of lime and addition of a sweet element to balance out the acid of the lime, this would be a much better drink. Agave works well with lime, so that would probably be the best sweetener here.

Padilla Miami Churchill (old blend): At one point, I had both blends of the Padilla Miami. I smoked the newer blend a while ago and don't remember it really wowing me. The old blend was about the same. The pre-light was predominantly tobacco with some hay and a hint of cinnamon. It lit with some spice, cocoa and cedar notes but quickly fell flat. A tobacco core and much less spice than I expected, this one just didn't hold my attention and I put it out half way through. Pairing it with a drink like The Last Word, just didn't work with this blend. That drink deserves and calls out for a much spicier cigar.

After the first attempt, I went with a cigar that I'd been really meaning to revisit after sitting in my humi for almost 2 years.

La Aurora Barrel Aged Churchill: First, let me say that La Aurora holds a special place in my heart, being the first premium cigar I ever smoked (preferido emerald tubo). When I heard about the Barrel Aged concept and blend, I was really excited to try it. Needless to say, after buying two singles and smoking one, I picked up a box. I reviewed that first one on here almost two years ago and this is the second one I've smoked from that box (way too many were given away as gifts or in trades - I only have a few left). With two years rest, I'm sure the cigar has improved, as has my pallet, so I'm really excited to try this one again.

The construction of this cigar was spot on. Rustic looking but well put together, heavy in hand, tightly packed but the draw was perfect. Pre-light draw gave notes of oak, a sweetness and cocoa. It lit easily with a torch and the taste was very similar to the pre-light, with oak dominating the pallet. This cigar smokes beautifully with volumes of smoke on the draw. Slightly wavy burn line but never got out of hand. A cocoa note begins to build around the half-way point, as does the body but never becomes quite full and oak continues to be a dominant note throughout the cigar. Though consistent and not incredibly complex, the notes in this cigar are so pronounced and well done that it easily holds your attention and calls you back for more. Now I have to figure out whether or not I need another box. It'll be some time before that, either way.

The drink I paired this with was fairly simple, but paired perfectly with the cigar (think barrel aged booze for a barrel aged cigar and you won't go wrong - aged rum, cognac or bourbon would all work perfectly to complement this cigar). I started with 2oz Cognac (I used Gabriel and Associates Fin Bois - produced by the house of Ferrand, known for their exceptional cognacs and spirits, it is heavy on vanilla and at $35 a bottle, it easily drinks like a cognac at twice that amount), 1 & 1/2 oz Gran Marnier (easy choice - orange infused cognac), 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters and a teaspoon of Maraschino Cherry syrup. Stir on ice and strain into a chilled martini glass with a cherry. It has the classic feel of a Manhattan with more of a vanilla/orange body. Though not quite as complex as The Last Word, this would pair beautifully with most spicy/woodsy medium to full bodied cigars. Sometimes there is beauty in simplicity.

This weekend, one of the local liquor stores is having a taste of New England and will be featuring beers, wines and spirits from local spots. I'll be there and will be bringing some extra cash that I have set aside to restock the liquor cabinet a bit. I've got my eyes on two bottles of Gabriel and Associates cognacs (Grand Champagne and Petite Champagne) as well as a bottle of El Jimador Anejo Tequila. We'll see what I come back with but I have a feeling this is going to be one expensive trip to the liquor store....UGH.... Either way, you guys will be guaranteed some reviews!
    Great review. Did you have to drybox the La Aurora before smoking? I smoked what I believe was the No. 4 and while the flavors were fantastic, it had terrible burn problems. The wrapper on it was very oily. I have one more in the humi that I'm going to drybox before smoking. For the old Padilla Miami, was the band a different design? I'm asking because my local B&M has the Miamis in a red and black band that I've never seen before.

Thanks for trying out The Last Word. You mentioned that the tartness of the lime would pair better with a spicier cigar. Perhaps another DPG creation like the Cuban Classic? Also, did you read the part in the article where they modified the drink by replacing gin and lime with rye whiskey and lemon (they called that variation The Final Word)? How do you think the flavors would change?
    Thanks, sight. I didn't drybox the Aurora before, just pulled it out of the humi. The burn problems weren't bad, just wavy. I have had the #4 in the past and remember liking the larger ring gauge better. I found it burned cooler and the blend seemed to come out more. Not that the #4 was bad, just liked the churchill better. The Miami was the red and black band. That's the older blend.

Thanks for the recommendation on the drink. It wasn't the tartness of the lime that would pair better, it was the full-bodied, spicy, herbal notes of the drink - Gin is very herbal and has a big bouquet-like flavor, Chartreuse is similar but even fuller, with lots of spicy, floral and herbal notes all mixed together. Because of this, the two seem to work really nicely together and while the lime can tame the alcohol burn, it can cause some acid burn of its own. A DPG would probably work nicely with this drink, as would some of the spicier Ashtons (ESG, VSG), opus, etc. I didn't catch that article but that does sound interesting. Rye generally has a spicier profile and should play nicely with the Chartreuse. The Lemon would work to tone it down, but I'd even consider muddling some lemon with sugar for the same reason I'd cut the lime in the Last Word.
    Very interesting observations on the drink. It's times like this that I wish my tolerance to alcohol wasn't so abnormally low.

As for the Miami, I think I better head down to my B&M before they sell out.
    This past Saturday, I had a La Rosa Especial - not sure if they're still in existence, but some cheap-o cigar I picked up at JR on a weekly deal back about 2 years ago (I think it was about $25 for a box of 20). I picked them up as a golf-course cigar and that's just what they are. Even after two years, spice, cedar and tobacco notes are all you really get. Not terrible, just not a great or memorable cigar.

Yesterday, I took the day off from work and spent a few hours at the beach with my girlfriend and her sister. Lit up the grill for some steak tips, grilled asparagus and grilled peppers and lit up a Diesel while I was grilling. Man, that is a good cigar. Big, earthy, leathery, chewy flavors throughout with a burst of spice in the first inch. Some cocoa develops around the halfway point, but never dominates. This is a hefty cigar both in size and body.

Before the Diesel, I mixed up a quick pomegranate margarita just to go through some of the tequila I have opened before I rip into a new bottle. I used two parts (I think it was odwalla) pomegranate limeade, two parts Dos Manos anejo tequila (not a bad anejo for the money, but expected more - it's on the oaky, not quite as sweet side of tequila with plenty of agave up front), one part cointreau and one part agave nectar/water mix. It was a nice change up from the traditional margarita and just added a little more fruit. I just wasn't in the mood to start squeezing limes along with preparing stuff for dinner.

Also hit up the liquor store this weekend for that tasting. Lots of vodkas, some rums (nothing worth mentioning) and one gin. The best vodkas I tried were the Vermont White (vodka distilled from milk sugar) - slightly sweet both on the nose and on the pallet, but a creamy sweetness. This would be perfect in a coffee/cream based drink such as a White Russian. Very crisp and clean. Next up was a vodka developed in the basement of the owner's Hadley, MA home called V one vodka. It's distilled from one particular type of wheat (which escapes me at the moment), making it quite unique. Very crisp and clean with a slight grassy or lemon sweet note. I was impressed at how clean this vodka was, with no sharpness or after bite at all. The Gin was called Knockabout Gin and it had a slightly different bouquet than most gins on the market now. The juniper was not quite as present as usual, but notes of corriander and cinnamon seemed to stick out a bit more rather than be overpowered by the juniper. I really enjoyed that one (the same distillery made Folley Cove Rum, which I didn't enjoy much, as well as a vodka that was so-so). Finally, Cold River made a blueberry vodka that was fantastic. The nose was of blueberry candy and that carried over to the pallet but not as strong. I'm not big on flavored vodkas, but this one tasted very natural. There was another blueberry vodka from a Nantucket distiller that tasted more like a dry blueberry wine mixed with vodka. Not as sweet, but not quite as enjoyable either. I ended up purchasing more than I should have, but those reviews will come later.
    Forgot to post my review on the Cain Nub Habano. Don't remember specifics, but do remember really liking this cigar. Very smooth, with some sweet notes. Not the typical profile you'd expect from such a strong cigar.

Finally tried my first 5 Vegas Triple A tonight. I can't say I was as impressed as I thought I would have been or hoped to be. It was decent, don't get me wrong. The first inch reminded me a bit of the diesel without the chewy, leathery profile but more of a traditional maduro. Some spice, some earthiness, lots of tobacco and some cocoa. I had such high hopes for this cigar and I felt it kind of fell flat in the middle for a while. I bought 3 of them and will let the other 2 rest for 6 months or more before revisiting (most likely, it'll be close to a year before I get around to this one again). Hopefully they improve with age. So far, the Cain is the winner here.

The drink of choice tonight was a Sazerac, which I thougt would pair nicely with the Triple A, since it's reputed to be full-bodied and fairly strong. Traditionally, this is made with 3 parts Rye (I used Rock Hill Farms Bourbon - not bad, but I don't think I'd recommend it - I'm just trying to finish off the bottle, though it's proven to be a better mixer than on its own), I used 1 part simple syrup, 3/4 parts Absinthe and 2-3 dashes of Peychaud's bitters. Stir on ice and strain into a chilled highball glass. The flavors work better than you might expect and the bitters really brought out the anise in the absinthe and added some slight spice notes to it as well. I have to say, the drink turned out really nice. Unforturnately, I think the drink overpowered the cigar, if only slightly. It might have been better paired with a Monte Media Noche or a spicier cigar.
    Yesterday was just a bad day for my taste buds overall. My girlfriend played polo up in Quechee VT (near the Killington ski area), so we headed up in the morning and got some breakfast before the game. Some bland bacon, bland eggs that weren't fluffy for so called "fresh farm raised," and a "maple" milk shake that just tasted like a vanilla milk shake with a teaspoon of maple syrup dropped in.

After sitting in 90 degree heat in the sun for hours while setting up, blah blah, finally playing a game of polo, washing down horses, blah, blah (for anyone with a significant other who is a horse person, I feel your pain), they offered us some food. At this point, we were both so hot an exhausted, we just wanted a cold water more so than food. After downing a water and a lemonade, she ventured to the food table and grabbed some fruit. The woman who made the food apparently mixed up fruit salad with salad. She had apples, bananas, watermelon and oranges covered in what tasted like italian dressing. It was absolutely horrible. She handed me the plate in disgust and took some grapes (which weren't very good either). We finally left and headed home, rather than stay the night.

On the way home, we stopped and grabbed a few bottles of wine to relax and end the night later on but decided to shower and grab a bite to eat. Her dad is the CFO of a magazine in Boston and gets all kinds of gift cards and favors through companies who advertise through them, so we decided to use one of those for a free meal. We went to Anthony's Pier 4 in Swampscott, MA. Walked in and were impressed by the windiow views and overall ambiance as well as the menu. The waiter seemed put out and couldn't bring me a bar menu or tell me what they had for scotch or cognac, so I ordered a manhattan. The appetizer came (Maple smoked salmlon with melba toast and some garnishes) and was fantastic, so we were really excited for our meal.

Half way through the meal, my girlfriend mentioned that I should start a review site for all the food, drink and cigars I review. As we were discussing it, I went to pour myself some manhattan (they serve a tiny bit in the glass and fill a small carafe and put it on ice to keep it cold), which tasted like bourbon with a cherry in it more than an actual manhattan and noticed a fruit fly in my carafe. I realize that fruit flies are common around bars and wasn't about to let it bother me. So, I poured off the booze and left the dead fly in the carafe and set it aside. Then, I taste my duck (pan seared duck with an orange-plum glaze) and there's no sauce or glaze. Just very gamey tasting duck. Cooked well, but no seasoning or sauce. I asked the waiter, who checked with the kitchen and said the chef told him he put only a little on before cooking (that's another gripe all together). OK, now my girlfriend is changing her mind on me doing the whole review site. "you'll just complain about everything." As she's saying this, she cuts into her fish (Haddock with an orange-pistachio, basil sauce, which was delicious up to this point) and says "I hate when fish has these huge veins.....wait, that's not a vein, is it?" No, it's a worm, and as she flakes more off, she finds all of his buddies. At least a half dozen of them. Nice. Needless to say, we didn't pay for the drink or her meal and left quickly after paying the part of the bill we felt was justifiably paid (though some people would have put up a fight and not paid at all).

After all that, we opened up a bottle of 2008 Terrazas Malbec that we had just purchased on the way home. I opened it and it smelled a bit sharp and young, so I poured a little and let it breathe for a few minutes. On the nose, I got some cherry and plum, but faint. When sipped, there was a faint hint of plum and then nothing. It just faded, like that, into nothing. Some alcohol burn was all that remained. At the same time, I lit up a Cain F, that I had been really excited to try. Same thing. First few puffs were creamy, wood, and something different that I didn't have enough time to place because the flavor just disappeared. I tried to smoke but couldn't get past the half way point. The draw was painfully tight and I found a good sized stick near the head after cutting. After putting it out, I decided to dissect the cigar and found some pretty hefty stems (more like sticks - I mean, I could have almost played fetch with the dog with some of these) througout every leaf that went into the construction of that one. Fed up, we just went to bed.

Sorry, I'm done complaining, but it was just one of those days. Hey, I figure this is a review page. Bad reviews count for just as much as good reviews.
    Wow, rough day! Nothing like getting some tree branches in a cigar! Terrible.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ....so, did your girlfriend's team win the game at least. ( need I ask at this point ).
    Haha. No, they pretty much got demolished. 15 to 5. I tried pretending I was with the other team but they weren't having any of it.
    Had a few buddies from work over last night for some food, drinks, and cigars. I ended up grilling some wings that a friend brought and made my spin on Red Robin's Bonsai Burger.

While preping and cooking I lit up a Gurkha Micro batch (the belicoso) and it was just what I was looking for. Smooth, not too strong but not too mild, woodsy, tobacco flavors that could stand up to being ignored for the most part. It was a very "meat and potatoes" type of cigar.

Afterwards, I lit up the Cain Nub maduro. It was good, but I honestly enjoyed the habano much more. The one thing I noticed about both was how incredibly smooth they both were. I felt the habano had a touch more spice and complexity, while the maduro had the typical maduro sweetness with cedar and some cocoa. Not a bad cigar, but I'd buy the habano again over the maduro. I also felt the habano had a bit more of a nic kick.

After doing a little reading, I decided to pour myself a Sazerac in the traditional sense. I just wrote up a review on one that I made with bourbon and was reading yesterday that the drink was actually first made with cognac. Here's the breakdown: 3 oz cognac (Gabriel and Associates Fin Bois), 1 oz simple syrup, 3 dashes Angostura Bitters - place all over ice and stir for 30 seconds. At the same time, chill a highball or your glass of choice and just before straining the drink in, pour a touch of absinthe into the serving glass and swirl it around to coat the glass and pour off the excess. Strain and enjoy. As much as I really enjoyed the bourbon version, I really liked the cognac version as well. Not sure which one I'd prefer. Either one would stand up to a good, strong cigar.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    You should make a review site with all of your food and drink concoctions..
    phobicsquirrel:
    You should make a review site with all of your food and drink concoctions..
    Agreed! I'm a big fan.
    Thanks for the kind words guys. I've tossed around the idea, but for now, I have this thread, which I will continue to update. Maybe once I feel I've amassed a big enough collection, then I'll start a dedicated site.
    OK, before I get to my cigar and drink reviews, I'm gonna post a new one here. A friend of mine caught a keeper while striper fishing the other night and gave me a filet from the catch. I decided to go all out and make a nice dinner for my girlfriend and I and thought I'd post it here.

The fish was done in simple fashion with some grape seed oil on the bottom to prevent it from sticking, sprayed with fresh squeezed lime juice and seasoned with Hawaiian black sea salt and roasted papaya seeds. I first baked for 15 minutes at 350 (with aluminum foil covering the fish) and then broiled at 550 (removed the foil) for 5 or 6 minutes. To top the fish, I made a lime burre blanc sauce but added a little heavy cream (so, no longer technically a burre blanc) and a little less butter. The sauce by itself was a little too tangy and heavy but went perfectly with the fish. I served it all over a bed of coconut and lime risotto with some mango and papaya diced in. The sweetness of the rice and tartness of the lime sauce balanced nicely with the fish without overpowering it. If you took a bite of any one alone, it was good, but a bite of all 3 together created a nice harmony.

For dessert, I made a creme brulee for the first time and after a few attempts, finally got the hang of caramelizing the sugar. To go with it, I had fresh home made whipped cream, strawberries and a rum caramel that I made with rum, vanilla, lime, sugar and a clove. That sauce was amazing! I want that on some donuts in the fall.

Last night I lit up a Nat Sherman 489 Tubo #1 and wasn't too impressed. Mostly tobacco, hints of spice and faint hints of sweetness that could have been toasted marshmallow or even gram cracker, but too subtle to notice. If the flavors were more pronounced, this could have been a great cigar.

Paired with that, I fixed myself a sidecar. 2 parts Landy Desir Cognac, 1 part Cointreau, 1/4 lemon squeezed and 3 dashes of Angostura bitters over ice - stir and strain. It was a classic cocktail in every sense. The tart lemon cut through the cognac, while the bitters added dimension and the Cointreau added some sweetness. Unfortunately, this was too much for the cigar to handle, so I let the drink sit until I was done with the cigar. This wouldn't be in my top drinks to make, but it certainly wasn't bad. More of a winter drink though.
    Fish sounds fantastic - and creme brulee is my favorite desert by far. Never attempted to make one...

Every time I read one of your reviews, I am amazed at how many different types of liquor, mixers, and other such things that go into drinks you have on hand. Any chance we could see a pic of your bar/liquor collection?
    I'll try to get some pics of the liquor cabinet this weekend. I also have to update my facebook pics with this last dinner, but I do have an album of dinner photos on facebook (Rob Giuffrida). I'm pretty sure my profile is public.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Great, great thread! I just love the cocktail menu! And now food?!?!?! OMFG. Big fan, big fan.
    Thank you again for the comments. It does help motivate me to do more reviews and really keep up with this thread.

Today, I tried lighting up an H. Upmann vintage (don't remember the size) but coudln't get through it. Just harsh, bland, blah. About half way through, I tossed it and pulled out a Tatuaje Havana VI Nobles that I just picked up on a deal (5 for 21.50 free ship). The pre-light sent was mostly tobacco and some barnyard scent but after a punch, the draw had a nice, sweet, dark cherry note to it. That note came out once lit but was more subdued and only lasted the first few puffs. It was joined by cedar and tobacco, which dominated once the cherry faded. There wasn't much sweetness in the first half, but started to pick up a little bit again in the second half of the cigar. Towards the end, I started picking up on a slight hint of spice, which I expected more of, this being a child of Pete and Pepin. Either way, it was a nice cigar with great, pronounced flavors.

Also made myself a cup of starbucks espresso roast with my french press and topped it with some fresh whipped cream. I put some grade b maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice in the cream before whipping and it turned out amazing. I'll definitely be using that one again!

I'm also going to try posting some pics of my booze, so bear with me. We'll see how this works.
    Let's see how this works...

here are some cellos that I've completed so far. Left to right - Spiced Orange and Apple Pie were my Christmas cellos for 09, Blood Orange in the middle, Pumpkin Pie for Halloween 09 and finally, Pomello and white grapefruit.

Some of the more interesting and commonly mixed - L to R: (shelf) D'aristi - Myan drink of Rum, Honey and Anisette, Pyrat XO (some gin in the back), Godiva, Kahlua, Navan (behind is some pear brandy and metaxa), Grand Marnier (behind and right are other liquors); (floor) Plantation Rum, Hendrick's Gin, Agwa (distilled from bolivian coca leaves), Zen (green tea liqueur), Chartreuse, Absinthe, Gabriel and assoc. Fin Bois cognac - there's much more to this cabinet, but I don't want to post too many pics

Glenlivet 21, Viking Blood (mead with spices and hops), Ultimat Vodka, Bogle Petite Sirah port, Muscat wine, more wines and random stuff in the back

El Jimador Anejo Tequila, Woodford Reserve Kentucky Derby ed., Pierre Ferrand Cigarre Reserva, Gabriel and Andrieu Petite Champagne and Grand Champagne

There were a few more pics but I don't want to overdo it.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ill take some glen.
    Any glen will do
    Oh youve only got 21, Ok Ill take a couple toots of that!