Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rocky Patel Thread!

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    actually thats why many companies have started to put dates on some of the boxes. you see it more on special blends (camacho liberty, Oliva V maduro... ) but that trend is catching on. its the same deal with the diplomas. they used to have more punch than they do now.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    safe? yes. you will not die while driving a Rocky Patel.
    interesting? no... just like a volvo, it isnt.

please do hate the guy that called them the Rolls of the cigar world. I dont htink they are but i dont hate them at all for that line.

I think Davidoff is closer to the rolls as well. snobby and in the end you just paid too much for something that is only slightly better than that you can get at half the price. again... this comes down to taste. I wanna go on a mission to get into davidoffs just to see what they see. ...i just hope it isnt just a waste of money as i fear it will be.
    Like I mentioned in another thread, I think that name sticks to gurkha due to the packaging and the cigars that they have produced. I mean the LXIII are spendy cigars to make and not to mention others that use aged/rare tobacco. Not saying that other brands don't but as a whole gurkha tends to use more "spendy" tobacco. Though that is just from reading their descriptions, I'm sure with some digging one could really know one way or the other.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Had a RP Renaisance today at the B&M. Great stick, flavorful and a tad more than medium body. Quite smooth and developed a nice even spice towards the end. If you can find them, go for it, i highly reccomend them
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Had a RP Renaisance today at the B&M. Great stick, flavorful and a tad more than medium body. Quite smooth and developed a nice even spice towards the end. If you can find them, go for it, i highly reccomend them
    I agree, I love had 2 of those. Great smokes, I am seriously thinking about buying a box.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    its interesting that Rockey Patel does not use a Honduran wrapper on any of his publicly sold cigars. (the honduran classic is a private blend for some other site. ) the two most common?
    Nicaraguan
    Ecuadorian

every single one of his blends has nicaraguan tobacco in it.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    its interesting that Rockey Patel does not use a Honduran wrapper on any of his publicly sold cigars. (the honduran classic is a private blend for some other site. ) the two most common?
    Nicaraguan
    Ecuadorian

Actually if you go to the page on the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, 1990 and the Vintage Segundo's here on Ccom it says they are Honduran. I know the wrapper on the 1992 isn't but not sure about the rest of the smoke.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:
    Nicaraguan
    Ecuadorian

Actually if you go to the page on the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, 1990 and the Vintage Segundo's here on Ccom it says they are Honduran. I know the wrapper on the 1992 isn't but not sure about the rest of the smoke.

good eye. the 90 has a wrapper from Honduras. the 92 has a wrapper from Ecuador. maybe its about time i revisit the 90. from what i can tell though, the filler is the same on both of those. im assuming that the vintage 90 seconds are the 90 blend and the 92 are the 92 blend
    this was more or less brought up to show that RP does in fact favor Nicaraguan over honduran.

also strange: RP rolls in honduras.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    You read this months Ccom newsletter. Pay no attention to where the cigar is manufacturered
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    PuroFreak:
    kuzi16:
    Nicaraguan
    Ecuadorian

good eye. the 90 has a wrapper from Honduras. the 92 has a wrapper from Ecuador. maybe its about time i revisit the 90. from what i can tell though, the filler is the same on both of those. im assuming that the vintage 90 seconds are the 90 blend and the 92 are the 92 blend
    this was more or less brought up to show that RP does in fact favor Nicaraguan over honduran.

I have a few of the 90 toro's and they aren't harsh, or spicey but very creamy and worth a try. I would say mild and creamy. It wasn't very complex to me.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    You read this months Ccom newsletter. Pay no attention to where the cigar is manufacturered
    I dont actually pay attention to where its rolled. but i found it strange that he rolls there but uses so little of the tobacco there.

i didnt read this months letter yet. I got that out if Perelman's.

great book.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    I dont actually pay attention to where its rolled. but i found it strange that he rolls there but uses so little of the tobacco there.

great book.

maybe rolling in Honduras is cheaper than in Nicaragua?
  • Options
    bbc020:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

great book.

or more skilled rollers there.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    bbc020:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

great book.

or more skilled rollers there.

more skilled as in quantity or quality....if it is quanity...then labor would most likely be more economical. I'm not trying to judge one country's quality of rollers. I don't know why more cigar companies are moving their production to Honduras
  • Options
    im sure there is a monetary reason. maybe honduras has a lower corporate tax rate? or a lover minimum wage, or higher unemployment (that leads to people willing to work for less), or the exchange rate is better more consistently, maybe the government is just more cigar factory friendly...

as long as they keep pumping out quality not just quantity we should be fine.
  • Options
    Speaking of quality.... I just smoked a vintage 90 segundo. Man what an awesome deal these things are. Looked, smelled, drew and smoked just like an original! I could not tell the difference at all!! Anyone ever try the X-outs from RP. They are just like "segundos". I just ordered some Liga "c" maduros because i was so impressed with the segundos. From the reviews online they seem to be a helluva value and smoke just like the originals. They decode like this:

Liga A = Edge
    Liga B = Sungrown
    Liga C = Olde World Reserve
    Liga D = Decade
    Liga E = Indian Tabac Super Fuerte

The only thing better than a good smoke, is a good smoke at a sweet deal that doesnt break the bank!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    The only thing better than a good smoke, is a good smoke at a sweet deal that doesnt break the bank!
    well said
  • Options
    Smoked a decade last night. Teriffic smoke!! Rich, decadent, a little pepper, a little spice, very smooth. Had a dominant flavor i couldnt put my finger on. Outstanding though.
  • Options
    Smoked a Nording Torpedo. Sweet, caramel and toated almond flavor hit you like a punch in the mouth. Very flavorful, very smoky! Getting hard to find so if you see em and youve been curious about them, grab a few. Awesome medium-full smoke.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sounds like some good ones Jet. I liked the Decade myself too, have some toros that have been kicking around for almost a year in the humi...I finally smoked one about a month ago, and it was really nice. The Nording isn't half bad either, though the ones I have showed a bit of youth so I'm keeping hands off for a little while.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried this cigar? Apparently, I hear it's very rare.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Never heard of it, never looked for it though. I got a B&M in town that had a Rocky event not too long ago and he left a but ton of hard to find stuff, like Maduro of Costa Rica. I'll investigate.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It's not a cigar of the Rocky Patel line. Fire is a cigar made under the Indian Tabac name, blended by Rocky Patel and manufactured by Nestor Plasencia in Honduras. The reason it is hard to find is because it has been discontinued.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    It's not a cigar of the Rocky Patel line. Fire is a cigar made under the Indian Tabac name, blended by Rocky Patel and manufactured by Nestor Plasencia in Honduras. The reason it is hard to find is because it has been discontinued.
    if it's been discontinued, then it must not have been a good seller...still wouldn't mind trying it though...if anyone is interested, tinderbox.com has some right now.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Anyone else had the rennaisance. Excellent smoke, IMHO. Much stronger than I expected.
  • Options
    Hmm, might have to try that one maddy. I love the 90 (more than the 92) and I know my B&M has some of them so I'll need to buy one next time I'm there.
  • Options
    The Rennaisance is a Sumatra, so its probably closer to the RP 92 phobs.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Anyone else had the rennaisance. Excellent smoke, IMHO. Much stronger than I expected.
    I have had 3, and have 3 in my humi :) It was a damn good smoke, probably my favorite cigar right now. I am thinking about buying a box. I met Rocky at a local B & M and he gave me a box of Rennaisance (empty) and he also gave me an autograph.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    madurofan:
    I had the rennaisance yesterday. It was stronger than I expected. I like the 92 better.

Anybody know what the MZ on the back of the label means?
  • Options
    Just smoked an I-Press i got in trade from Andy. Wonderful flavor but....he shoulda called this thing the I-Canoe-like-a-sumbitch. Anyone had this problem. Had to constantly touch this thing up. Great flavor to it though so i'll get a couple and see if that was par for the course. Anyone else had that problem?
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    The only one that I have smoked had good flavor but I was on the beach in Cancun so I had burn issues of a different sort. I haven't smoked another b/c I was letting sit for a while...I'm glad you enjoyed the flavor but sorry about the burn man.