Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

How good is your palate? And how well do you trust it?

j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
Guys, I want to do a one-off game with some of you. I like the idea of a blind review, and I like the idea of several people reviewing the same cigar in a competition even more.

Here's what I'm proposing. I want to host a game where I send 3-5 of you a package of 3-4 cigars, each package will be identical, and I will likely be pulling the cigars from boxes/mazos to be sure all are the same age. Bands will of course be removed, and the cigars will be numbered accordingly.

Here is the responsibility of the people participating. First, you'll have to commit to the full set of reviews and to doing them in a timely fashion...by timely, I'd like to wrap this up within 2 weeks of the last package landing, if that's not reasonable make a suggestion. Second, a guess at the cigar is not sufficient and will not score full points, what I'd like to see is as follow: a description (wrapper shade, vitola, measurements), a country of origin, a review and finally a guess at what the cigar in question is. Finally, the winner will get a five pack of hand-rolled cigars from each other contestant...and probably something from me as well.

Each cigar will carry with it a point value consisting of the following criteria:

Country of origin: 2 pts.
Brand 5 pts.
Vitola (specific, if it has a non-standard name, ex. Camacho Corojo Diploma is a robusto, but just calling it a robusto won't get points, calling a MoW robusto a robusto will score points):1 pt.

Reviews will be submitted to me via PM, and will then be posted by me once they've all been submitted. Points will then be awarded accordingly.

I'll caution anyone thinking about this that I don't intend to make this easy, and I don't want anyone to participate if they don't intend to give it an honest try. But more importantly, I want this to be fun and maybe a learning experience.

So, what do you guys think? Any takers?

Comments

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    That's an awesome idea Joe. I could definitely get three or four reviews done in a two week period, I'm down.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I love that idea Joe. I'd def be down! I have this whole next week mon-fri off and then not the week after but the one after that I have mon-fri off :) I don't have an advanced palate but I'll give it the best try I can!
  • Options
    Awesome guys. An advanced palate is not anywhere near a requirement, my hope is that those participating will have a better understanding of their palate and how to interpret what they're tasting when this is over. I'd go so far as to say that anyone who regards himself as an expert cigar taster need not apply.
  • Options
    klgoldmanklgoldman Posts: 176
    Awesome idea and sounds like a lot of fun! I'd love to join in. I've been reviewing a bunch of cigars in my personal dossier and think this would be a great opportunity to put some ideas out publicly.
  • Options
    Ok, I've got three, I'll take two more. And for the sake of transparency, this isn't my idea, I borrowed it from another forum.
  • Options
    Also, I'll need addresses from you guys. Tony, I have your info already.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    pm inbound. Thanks for doing this Joe!
  • Options
    klgoldmanklgoldman Posts: 176
    PM to you Joe.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    PM... I may be late, but PM anyway!
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    i guess im late to join the Madness? if not id be in
  • Options
    i cant wait to see what these guys come up with Great Idea JoE1
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    My palate ends at "this is a good cigar" but this will be entertaining as hell to watch! Great idea.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Alright, looks like I've got my 5. If everything works out (read as: if I'm not too lazy after work) I'll get packs out this afternoon. Oz and Lassy, I'll need your info...and that weeble wobble comment was uncalled for Lassy. :)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this is a difficult task guys.
    GOOD LUCK.

im rootin for ya.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Great idea! This is going to be fun to follow. I get a little self-conscious with things like this or any kind of blind taste test because there are so many cigars talked about on this forum I've never had. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    awesome game/cigar experiment, Joe, thanks for putting it together, it will be cool to read the reviews, so good luck guys. . . . .

I remember Tim and Alex used to do a few blind taste tests in the ccom video section if you guys want to get an idea of what your in for you should pul them up. hahaha, I'll second what Kuzi said about this not being an easy task.
  • Options
    AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    this is cool! So if I understand the rules, it goes unsaid that using ANY type of reference material (i.e. google or ccom) other than you're own palate is not allowed?
  • Options
    Not being the Greatest at Regions and Wrappers etc, But i can Pull flavors ... this should be a HOOT and my Predictions should be AMusing! yet....... I do smoke a Crap load of Cigars and I may do pretty good, I have done well at the Game on here that seems to have died away... I havent seen the thread for a while i guess
  • Options
    AJGARLETT:
    this is cool! So if I understand the rules, it goes unsaid that using ANY type of reference material (i.e. google or ccom) other than you're own palate is not allowed?
    Honestly, I don't even think that will be an issue. I don't plan on sending out any cigars that are easy to identify by looking at them.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Cant wait to see how this game shakes out! Excellent idea Joe! Good luck to all.

• Options
    Still waiting on Lassy's info...if anyone has it and can send it to me, I can get these going.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Still waiting on Lassy's info...if anyone has it and can send it to me, I can get these going.
    Joe, PM to you........
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    JCizzle:
    My palate ends at "this is a good cigar" but this will be entertaining as hell to watch! Great idea.
    +1 Excellent Idea!
  • Options
    Ok fellas, packs are made up and ready to go out tomorrow. So nobody should receive a pack later than Thursday I don't think.

Just want to reiterate not to post reviews in the thread, please pm them to me and I will post them all at once. If you want to take pictures as well, please do, I'd love to include them.

One last thought...if you guys think it might be a good idea to let these cool off for a bit before smoking them, I'm all for it. We can have next Monday be the official start time if you like.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Just replies with addy... Haven't had any Miller lite today so, ya know...
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Ok fellas, packs are made up and ready to go out tomorrow. So nobody should receive a pack later than Thursday I don't think.

Just want to reiterate not to post reviews in the thread, please pm them to me and I will post them all at once. If you want to take pictures as well, please do, I'd love to include them.

One last thought...if you guys think it might be a good idea to let these cool off for a bit before smoking them, I'm all for it. We can have next Monday be the official start time if you like.

Thats all sounds good to me Joe... Looking forward to it...... Thanks for the Test....
  • Options
    Packs are in flight.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Without giving anything away, should we make sure to eat a full meal before firing any/most/all of them up?
  • Options
    Tony, I wouldn't say any of them are strong cigars, though 1 and 3 are not a morning type of smoke. They range in the medium to med-full, but none should turn you all green.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Tony, I wouldn't say any of them are strong cigars, though 1 and 3 are not a morning type of smoke. They range in the medium to med-full, but none should turn you all green.

ROTFLMAO as he says this to an Alien! HAHAHA i crack Me up!