Home Non Cigar Related
Options

MMA Junkies in here

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Watching in Spanish isn't that bad. I can't understand more than a few dozen words, but it's no worse than listening to Rogan and Goldberg rambling on about I don't even know what. Plus the women in the commercials are pretty nice to look at.Smile [:)]
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    lol nice Joe! I can't see the prelims but already have fox up and am ready. So excited to watch this at work. I'm so geeked up it's not even funny
  • Options
    The winner, and new heavyweight champion....

I've been saying it and saying it, and finally it's reality, JDS is champion, I just knew his boxing and tdd was enough to take Cain out. Kind of bittersweet though, I like Cain.
  • Options
    Yeah I can't say I'm surprised as I saw it going either way but hate it ended so quickly would have loved to see them in a deep round war
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I have to agfree with E I was rooting for Cain, but really wanted it to go 4th round at least
  • Options
    A prevailing opinion on the internets is that this was bungled by only showing a single fight, now that it is over and done and we got 64 seconds for weeks upon weeks of anticipation. Even before, when news came out that only one fight would be broadcast, the opinion of many was that not including at least the co-main was a mistake...I felt that way as did many others and I feel now that my opinion was justified.

So now that it is over, do you guys feel the UFC and Fox did themselves a disservice by only airing one fight?
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    A prevailing opinion on the internets is that this was bungled by only showing a single fight, now that it is over and done and we got 64 seconds for weeks upon weeks of anticipation. Even before, when news came out that only one fight would be broadcast, the opinion of many was that not including at least the co-main was a mistake...I felt that way as did many others and I feel now that my opinion was justified.

So now that it is over, do you guys feel the UFC and Fox did themselves a disservice by only airing one fight?
    I think and hope that this is the stepping stone to get UFC events put on national tv. They have so many fights that it is hard for the average joe to order each event, but yet if you live outside of the US you can watch all of them for free. Sure I wanted to see the co-main event, but they have to start somewhere. That being said, I don't think this was a disservice, but rather a testament to how big the UFC is and the revenue it can potentially bring to the table (for the big networks). All I seen was commercials and then the fight....I'm curious to see how much revenue the UFC pulled in and the ratings for this 1 fight....
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    I agree they should have had more fights to showcase the sport to people who might have been getting an introduction to it, but I did win a "My Uzi Weighs A Ton" betting on Dos Santos!
  • Options
    CvilleE:
    j0z3r:

I think and hope that this is the stepping stone to get UFC events put on national tv. They have so many fights that it is hard for the average joe to order each event, but yet if you live outside of the US you can watch all of them for free. Sure I wanted to see the co-main event, but they have to start somewhere. That being said, I don't think this was a disservice, but rather a testament to how big the UFC is and the revenue it can potentially bring to the table (for the big networks). All I seen was commercials and then the fight....I'm curious to see how much revenue the UFC pulled in and the ratings for this 1 fight....
    Ok, fair enough. Let me elaborate a bit on my thoughts though. Imagine if you will that this was your first exposure to the UFC and what you saw was a 30 minute build, the walk-out and introductions and then 64 seconds of action. Does your answer change taking that into consideration?
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    CvilleE:
    j0z3r:

Ok, fair enough. Let me elaborate a bit on my thoughts though. Imagine if you will that this was your first exposure to the UFC and what you saw was a 30 minute build, the walk-out and introductions and then 64 seconds of action. Does your answer change taking that into consideration?
    I see ur point...I would not be sold if this was my first experience....
  • Options
    CvilleE:
    j0z3r:
    CvilleE:
    j0z3r:

I see ur point...I would not be sold if this was my first experience....
    I'm with Joe. I was worried when the announced that it would be the only fight aired on fox that this would happen. I think it would have been better if they would have had Edgar vs Maynard 3 and the HW title fight or something along those lines. That way you get a fight that you know is gonna have big fireworks and a fight that has the potential to or the potential to end the way it did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    If you think about it, it could start to get a Tyson-esque feel for it. Remember when everyone paid for those fights that lasted 30 seconds? Pretty soon, people will get bored. Additionally, not every fight will be like this but the amount of exposure to the numerous mixed martial arts and their nuances will be lost on the new and beginning viewers. They are really pigeon-holing the fights, imo.
  • Options
    Who do ya'll got for tonight? Here's my main card picks.

Shogun
    Cung Le
    Faber
    Kampmann
    Bonnar
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Watching in Spanish isn't that bad. I can't understand more than a few dozen words, but it's no worse than listening to Rogan and Goldberg rambling on about I don't even know what. Plus the women in the commercials are pretty nice to look at.Smile [:)]
    Rogan annoys me.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    I like rogan its Goldberg I can't stand
  • Options
    j0z3r:

Shogun
    Cung Le
    Faber
    Kampmann
    Bonnar
    Same except I have Kingsbury over Bonnar. That one was basically a coin flip for me. Man Shogun vs Hendo is finally happening!
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    j0z3r:

Shogun
    Cung Le
    Faber
    Kampmann
    Bonnar
    Same except I have Kingsbury over Bonnar. That one was basically a coin flip for me. Man Shogun vs Hendo is finally happening!

I got Hendo, Cung Le, Faber, Kampmann and Bonnar.

I can't wait!

Rob
  • Options
    ENFIDL:
    j0z3r:

Shogun
    Cung Le
    Faber
    Kampmann
    Bonnar
    To me that's the sign of a good card, all these fights could go either way really, and that excites me.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    ENFIDL:
    j0z3r:

Shogun
    Cung Le
    Faber
    Kampmann
    Bonnar
    To me that's the sign of a good card, all these fights could go either way really, and that excites me.
    They really could. I was worried this one would fall apart with injuries with how things have gone lately with cards that have great lineups on them.
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    Shogun vs Henderson! What a great fight!
  • Options
    That was a truly incredible fight. Dan is aging incredibly well for as long as he's been in the fight game, he's as good now as he ever was, if not better...happy to see him back among the best. Le started very impressive, I was disappointed that he didn't swarm Silva after that spinning backfist, he could have stopped it there I think...not that I wanted Wandy to lose, I still like the guy, but his best days are far behind him. Faber is a stud, if he never wears a belt again he'll still be a stud.
  • Options
    Yeah I just watched it....Faber is good...he is the best on to go for the title again...look forward to it....Wandy was hurt n look scared some in the beginning...but glad he paced himself this time...them knees to the face..wow..Chung Fu is gonna have to get some work done...his face shifted in the wrong way...Hendo and Rua uhh can't say enough...they beat each other up...bad...it just wows me the punches that landed from Hendo looked more violent than when he (Rua) fought Jones and took them all...nice card...
  • Options
    Wow BIG breaking news that Dana just tweeted: @danawhite GSP blown acl will be out for 10 mos. Now Condit vs Diaz for the interim welterweight title on Feb 4th in Las Vegas!!
  • Options
    I was just reading about that too. That is truly a shame, we may never see the same GSP again and for as young as he is...just to think that might be possible is disappointing. I am, however, quite excited for Condit Diaz, that ought to be one hell of a scrap.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I'm crushed by this!! I really wanted to see GSP v Diaz. Condit v. Diaz is going to be a great fight though. I can only hope that since GSP is in great physical condition he can come back from this quick. He won't be one to come back before he is 100% healed. I just hope that this doesn't make him hesitant when going for his explosive take downs.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009:
    I'm crushed by this!! I really wanted to see GSP v Diaz. Condit v. Diaz is going to be a great fight though. I can only hope that since GSP is in great physical condition he can come back from this quick. He won't be one to come back before he is 100% healed. I just hope that this doesn't make him hesitant when going for his explosive take downs.
    I don't think it will affect him as much as say a football or basketball player. Thats not to say its not bad still I just don't think it will have a real lingering affect for him plus like you said he is in great shape and works like a mad man.
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    Should be an interesting shakeup to that division. Can't wait to see what happens.
  • Options
    So who do ya'll have for the fight Saturday?

Once again I find myself at odds on the title fight. One the one hand, Bones is a phenom like none I've seen, his abilities and the ease with which he uses them are out of this world. On the other hand, Machida is a puzzle that I don't think has really been solved, sure it has been proven that he's not invincible, nobody is, but I can't shake the thought that he brings something that not only has Bones never faced, but also a style that is designed to give people trouble...and I don't think Bones will be an exception there.

My head says one thing and my heart says another. In this case, I'm going with the heart and picking Machida, but I won't be shocked if Jones wins either. How's that for non-comittal?
  • Options
    Im going with jones but like you im not 100 percent sold
  • Options
    I've got Bones. No doubts about it.