Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    Blow through your cigar a few times after you ash and before you taste it again to clear any cold smoke. It really does help to do it after you ash and every so often.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Anyone else get an ashy taste in their mouth after ashing your cigar?
    I do!
    Ive thought about purging the cigar after I ash? Any thoughts?
    You aren't ashing the cigar in your mouth...are you? :) I sometimes get what you are talking about, if it happens then I'll purge the cigar, if not I leave it be.
  • Options
    LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Hi, I'm new to posting, semi-new to the boards and cigars. From upstate NY. The first time I was blown away smoking a cigar was at a friend's bachelor party and his dad brought real sticks. I never found out what they were, but I smoked an entire churchill and couldn't believe what I'd been missing. It still took a random Cigar.com catalog showing up in the mail to reel me in. I've been checking daily deals at midnight and smoking every chance I get since then. I've been lurking on the forums trying to absorb as much as I can so I have something to contribute as well. Taste-wise, I'd say I lean towards Medium-Full/Full, but I smoke anything that's interesting. I'm also a huge single malt/micro brew fan(snob?), techie/computer nerd/gamer, and origami folder. [edit] am I doing something wrong with formatting? my posts are coming out with no spacing, using Firefox.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah, the formatting is strange. You need to throw tags around like crazy to get it too look like. Welcome to the forum, if you're ever out on Long Island, stop by for a smoke!
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Mr. leftfive! The lads here are a geyser of knowledge and know-how. Pillage, plunder, and enjoy the minds of the masses, don't forget to tip your bar maid on the way out!
  • Options
    tseehorntseehorn Posts: 14
    Hello all, I have been posting here a few days but just wanted to make my formal introduction. I have smoked cigars for about a year now but still consider myself new since I have not had the opportunity to try many different brands/types of cigars. I am originally from Kentucky but am on active duty with the Army, stationed in Washington state, and currently deployed to beautiful Iraq. I am really enjoying the site and feel I am learning a lot and it really seems to have a good bunch of people on here. Anyway I look forward to good discussions with you all in the future.
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Another Newbie here; I have been looking around for a few days and was absolutely floored by the knowledge around here! Anyway I'm 24 years old and live in Vegas, just got reintroduced to this hobby after the occasional smoke in the past. Excited to learn from everyone and use this as a sounding board to clarify my ideas and help with the decision making process in the future. Have a good day All. ~Rob
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Welcome bibby
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Welcome noobs...
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Luko:
    Welcome noobs...
    That's sexist!

Oooohhh wait, Noobs....Sorry, misread that;)
  • Options
    Ahoy all! This is actually my second post here. I've been browsing the site for a while now and just noticed it had a forum. I've been smoking cigars for a few years now. Now that I'm going to school away from home, I can enjoy more cigars than before (My mother hates them). My Dad is the one that got me into cigars, earlier than he actually knows. I'm not online all that much, so my visits here may be sparse. Though it's nice to finally have a place to really talk cigars (my friends like to smoke two things. Kahlua's and "what's cheap?")
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Ahoy there, pirate. Welcome to our little community.
  • Options
    Welcome pirate
  • Options
    Avast ye mayties! Welcome Pirate and Bibby!
  • Options
    naughtnaught Posts: 56
    Oops, I didn't see this thread. Hello! 34 year old musician and dive shop owner here. Cigars are something I always wanted to get into.. but just finally made the leap after giving up a less interesting and less legal type of smoke. I've given up most of my old hard living ways, and am just loving the hell out of everything cigar. Just such a nice way to slow down and savour life. Its also brought my pops and I much closer. Its always been a passion of his. And I get the added bonus of sampling his amazingly extensive collection now and then :) It was last month in Cozumel that the addiction went into full swing. Had some niiiice smokes down there. Really enjoying the community here from the little I've experienced. I'd originally just come to ask some stupid questions, but now I think I'll be sticking around.
  • Options
    Welcome naught! I've seen so many musicians on here, what if all of us had a huge cigar and jam-athon?... So wicked!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello All, new here as of today.  I'm a retired police chief living in the upstate NY area.  I've smoked cigars in the past, but recently my younger son got me interested in it again.  My son and I enjoy taking time out and relaxing with a cigar and chatting with each other.

We smoke outside on our patio and I've been enjoying a cigar almost every day.  I am dreading winter as I don't smoke in the house.  I am trying to talk our local B & M cigar shop into adding a cigar lounge to his store.  I have a few months to convince him!

I've enjoyed reading the posts here and I have learned a lot.  I like the idea of this weekend's promotion as I have a son who is a Ranger in the 82 Airborne about to be deployed.

• Options
    nightmaremike31:
    Welcome naught! I've seen so many musicians on here, what if all of us had a huge cigar and jam-athon?... So wicked!
    They need to make more one-handed instruments!
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    naught:
    nightmaremike31:
    They need to make more one-handed instruments!
    I'll play the egg shaker! Honestly though, I play at the guitar a bit and play the Ukulele a bit more. Big into recording and engineering live music. So if you need Sound Reinforcement and an engineer for the jam-athon, let me know. I may even play a little uke for fun.

Welcome aboard folks. It really is a great community here.
  • Options
    The Uke is my next mission. The only things I play decently are drums and guitar and piano... but I mostly bang on banjos and mandolins, and lately musical saws (the new addiction). I have an old Uke that belonged to my late grandmother... and I had it for many years before one day someone looked inside it and pointed out, "hey, you realize this is a Martin right?" All those years I'd just thought it was some sort of toy. How awesomely embarassing. Still looking to get it restored and restrung.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Nice...wish I had a martin uke...I have a Oscar Schmidt(washburn). Has a nice heft to it and sounds great. Has a little pick up in it, but I usually only use it to tune it. They are truly fun to play around with.
  • Options
    dew0150dew0150 Posts: 4
    New to the forum & fairly new to cigar smoking. Have already learned a few things on the forum & hope to learn & share a lot more.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Stick around, you will! Its a great place to learn and also hang with some fellow BOTL
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard everybody. The people here are really top notch with loads of information and all very easy going. It's a great place to be.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Fourtotheflush:
    Stick around, you will! Its a great place to learn and also hang with some fellow BOTL
    Yeah, welcome aboard. Just don't listen to anything fourtotheflush says... you don't want to pick up bad habits! haha
  • Options
    Hello everyone.  My name is Dan and I live in Virginia.  I was born and raised in Pittsburgh so I am a huge Steeler, Penguin & Pirate fan.  I started in cigars at Christmas of last year and stumbled upon this great site.  I posted and received an answer to my question within hours.  Glad to be part of your group.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Welcome aboard guys! Now do yourselves a favor and buy the biggest humidor you can afford and fill it to the brim.
  • Options
    welcome to all the new guys
  • Options
    Garen B:
    Welcome aboard guys! Now do yourselves a favor and buy the biggest humidor you can afford and fill it to the brim.

Welcome!! Seriously, this isn't a joke. The biggest humidor, Heartfelt Beads, a digital hygrometer (remember to calibrate it with the salt test), a means of fire (rubbing 2 sticks together... whatever floats your boat), and cigars!!
  • Options
    bigj51bigj51 Posts: 52
    I've been lurking around these boards for while.  I suppose it's time to say something.  Everybody seems to be knowledgeable and I've found some good info in the recent weeks.

So....Hi....