Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157

Hi All,

My name is Cheyenne. I am a seven year Marine Corps disabled veteran living in MA. Currently I am finishing my degree in Supply Chain Management & Management of Information System at Northeastern University in Boston. I also work for P&G/Gillette.

My father recently introduced me to cigars a few months ago when my parents came up from MO for my wife's baby shower. I've been hooked ever since.

I've generally smoke mild's, my first was a Davidoff Special T. Of course that's not in my price range, so tried & and became fond of Oliva serie G, AVO classic, Casa Torano, Perdomo Champagne R & Ashton. I tried a Cusano 18 Paired Maduro the other day, and really enjoyed it. I think I would enjoy more complex-full flavored smoke as I enjoy just about everything else full-flavored.

I joined COTM mid-June, but have not smoked any of the Gurkha's yet. I'm letting them rest. I will most certainly smoke one this weekend as I smoke a pork picnic for the 4th. I like to show these Massholes how to truly BBQ!

-Chey

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome to the forum, Chey. Sounds like you're doing interesting things with your life, including liking some interesting cigars. Also: BBQ!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hey Chey, welcome. I'm fond of the oliva Serie G myself, and Serie O for that matter. Still looking to try my Cusano 18's. Well, seems I have nothing else to say... kinda went blank. Anyhoo, welcome to the boards, glad to have ya.

Joe
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I've been lurking for a while but haven't posted until now. Used to be a pipe smoker years ago with the infrequent cigar but took a long sabbatical. Getting back into the cigars now, and no more drugstore junk! Sitting on the back porch and having a nice relaxing smoke after work is really helping me relax better. Picked up a few sampler packs and am doing some exploring.

I'm in northern Virginia but travel to the Richmond and Tidewater areas for work regularly.

My most recent favorite is the CAO VR. Enjoyed one yesterday and smoked that puppy down to the roach, it was tasting so good. Didn't start getting any harshness until the bitter end.

My other interests include woodworking, homebrewing and gunsmithing / shooting. You'll find me on a lot of the gun boards under the same nic.
  • Options
    Welcome, zoom. Sounds like you and I have traveled similar smoking roads. I, too, used to smoke pipes, then cigars, then a long sabbatical, and now cigars again.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Cheyenne, welcome to the group...This is a great place to hang out with knowledgable friendly people.. You do sound like ya' have a lot going on.. Avo is one of the cigars that got me hooked, a very pleasant mild smoke as well as the Davidoff line.. Try some 5 Vegas..Classic are a great place to start.. If you like something with a bit of a kick Try 5 Vegas "A" and the Miami.. Get in here often and let us know what you like and " what 'cha smokin " I love hearing suggestions and then trying them out for myself.. Enjoy your Holiday
  • Options
    Oh No !!! Thats two Previous pipers in the last two weeks Finally people are coming to their senses.. And we have another Virginian in our group as well..Welcome zoom it's nice to have new members with us..There was a recent discussion here about homebrews, rather popular among cigar smokers here too... Looks like you will have a lot to share..
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Chey, OOHRAH Devil Dog...welcome to the forum. Olive G is my Favorite right now. The O was ok but if you haven't had the V...ya gotta try that one too. It took me 2 nights to smoke it but the flavors were wonderful.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Hey everyone. I'm Matt, 23, and live in the Dallas, TX area. I've had an interest in cigars for as long as I can remember. After buying a few here and there at the local shop, and not really paying attention to what I was buying, I've finally decided to really get into learning and going about it the right way. Lately I've been smoking Carlos Torano Casa Torano Robustos. I'm very, very new to cigars, and the community here looked appealing to someone who doesn't have a lot of knowledge. So, I hope to learn as much as I can here, and hopefully have some good discussion!
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Welcome Matt! I am sure you will enjoy this group!
  • Options
    Welcome Matt...I'm new here too and you will learn a lot on the boards here. Good start with the Torano, I forget that one sometimes but I really like them.
  • Options
    I smoked another Carlos Torano the other day, but I can't remember what it was. They're a good smoke, and fairly affordable for a broke college student!
  • Options
    i have smoked a few from the torano line, they have not disappointed me yet. Pick up an Oliva G, its a great smoke for the price.
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    i have smoked a few from the torano line, they have not disappointed me yet. Pick up an Oliva G, its a great smoke for the price.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm probably heading out to the local shop later, so I'll keep it in mind. If anyone has anymore suggestions, please share, it's much appreciated.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Matt. You'll definetly learn a lot here and because its a fairly small(but growing) community you can easily become part of the group instead of being ignored as a newb like happens on bigger forums.
  • Options
    Welcome, Matt!
  • Options
    Well Matt , you came to the right place.. People here enlighten and entertain me every day..Matt , you have a Super Hero name, either that or a "movie star" ..
  • Options
    Matt Marvel:
    I smoked another Carlos Torano the other day, but I can't remember what it was. They're a good smoke, and fairly affordable for a broke college student!
    Matt, I forgot to mention, Carlos Torano Signature, fine smoke ..and my new found everyday fav. 5 Vegas Classic, affordable and taste like it should cost twice the price..
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Matt Marvel:
    Matt, I forgot to mention, Carlos Torano Signature, fine smoke ..and my new found everyday fav. 5 Vegas Classic, affordable and taste like it should cost twice the price..
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll add them to my list!
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    NEWBIES to the CCOM forum, break the ice here with a small introduction or something to make you feel a bit comfortable posting on the forum. We now have over 900 members, but less that 10% of them post with any kind of regularity.

So don't be shy just cuz you're new, most of us (if not all ) will welcome you with open arms and be happy to have you as part of the community so long as you are decent and respectful.

Disclaimer: I by no means speak for the community at large, but I've got a hunch that quite a few people would agree with me.

Joe
    Hey Newbies, Just bringing this thread back to the top here. It seems to get lost often.. Nearly 1500 members now... there is always room for more..
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    well my real name is Shane im sure i will be here for some time as cigars has become a hobby for me and maybe a passion im always looking to try new kinds so if you want to send me some ;P just ask for my info or if there is a recommendation you have just tell me that aswell!
  • Options
    OkemahOkemah Posts: 13
    The names Brad. I'm 29 and live in St. Louis. I've been smoking cigars casually for a few years now but just last month decided to jump in head first. Got me a humi, which i'm having a couple issues with(you may have read "The Humi Blues" post), but i'm trying to sort them out. For the most part I'm impressed by this community and will continue to stalk/post these boards. A few of my favorites include, almost anything from RP, Padron 1926, partags black label and Cao mx2. Peace in the middle...west. Brad
  • Options
    Welcome aboard Brad ... from the Lou. I got few friends out that way, nice town. You and I will get along you just listed off some of my regulars right there and I'm a huge RP fan as well, you had the Summer Collection yet?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Welcome aboard Brad ... from the Lou. I got few friends out that way, nice town. You and I will get along you just listed off some of my regulars right there and I'm a huge RP fan as well, you had the Summer Collection yet?
    Brad and Shane welcome to both of you.. Glad you joined us and made yourselves known.. It's great to have new voices, and opinions, here and everyone is always welcome.
  • Options
    Welcome, guys!
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    Brad and Shane welcome to both of you.. Glad you joined us and made yourselves known.. It's great to have new voices, and opinions, here and everyone is always welcome.
    Yea, yea what he said.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    Yea, yea what he said.
    Thanks for backing me on this one Maddy.. Have you had to call out " pest control " lately ? Things seem to go wrong for you if you leave your cigars unwatched for too long..
  • Options
    OkemahOkemah Posts: 13
    madurofan:
    No I haven't. Only Edge, Decade, Fusion DM and Signature 500. I've loved them all. Is the Summer Collection available on CCOM?
  • Options
    Not on ccom that I'm aware of, check your local B&M. Mine is out of them for the moment, possibly forever or I'd be offering one to you. I'm hold tight on the ones I have left. Its a habano wrapper with a cameroon binder VERY interesting cigar.
  • Options
    Okemah:
    madurofan:
    No I haven't. Only Edge, Decade, Fusion DM and Signature 500. I've loved them all. Is the Summer Collection available on CCOM?
    Okemah, My favorite from Patel is the Vintage 1992. ( 1990 and 1999 are fine examples as well ) I like the Edge alot, as well as the Fusion. and sun grown..