Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin this afternoon??

Comments

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Sobremesa Saturday 

....Yo Yak, interested in how you prepared those Jalapeños?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Found this recipe, the filling is probably enough for 16 peppers, I made a half batch and didn't find poblanos for the folks who like it milder. Just tried one, came out great, not that spicy. 

Wolf Turds:

10-12 Good, fresh Jalapenos
    8 - 10 Poblanos (milder)
    2 Links Sweet Italian Sausage
    1 8 oz "brick" of Philly Cream Cheese
    2 tsp Chili 9000 seasoning
    1 tsp Smoked (mild) Paprika
    12 (or so) strips of good, THIN sliced bacon

Slice the Jalapenos down one side, and then cut part way thru the stem end, leaving enough to keep the stem attached like a "cap".

Using a spoon, scoop out the membranes and seeds from the inside. Rinse, and set aside to dry.

Let the cream cheese come to room temperature (for easier mixing).  If using link sausage, remove the casing from the two links.  Mix the paprika, chili 9000, creme cheese, and sausage together in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined.  (A food processor or hand mixer can make this step a lot easier.)

Stuff the Jalapenos with the cheese/sausage mixture until full. Wrap with a slice (or more if necessary) of bacon until completely covered. Use the stem ends as caps to keep the goodness from oozing out as they cook. (No toothpics were necessary to hold all these together when wuff made them.)

Place on smoker rack with the cut sides up (might be hard to tell thru the bacon). Smoke at 250 degrees in strong smoke (mesquite, hickory, etc) for at least 2 hours, until interior temperature reaches 160 degrees and bacon is reasonably crisp.

Remove from smoker, and allow to rest for 5 minutes or so, for the filling to "set up" a bit.

Devour!

Variation: Add some Amish Gorgonzola Crumbles to the cheese in each "tvrd" for a lovely "bluesy" note.

Notes:

When selecting your Jalapeno's, look for medium sized peppers that have a tight, shiny, glossy skin with no wrinkles, and are not mushy to the touch. The better the pepper, the better this appetizer will be.

Important - use THIN bacon, the thinner the better. Thick cuts won't cook up as crisp, and will stay flabby and under-done. Not nearly as appetizing that way.

Needless to say, good sausage and good bacon will make a world of difference in this dish!
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Found this recipe, the filling is probably enough for 16 peppers, I made a half batch and didn't find poblanos for the folks who like it milder. Just tried one, came out great, not that spicy. 

Wolf Turds:

10-12 Good, fresh Jalapenos
    8 - 10 Poblanos (milder)
    2 Links Sweet Italian Sausage
    1 8 oz "brick" of Philly Cream Cheese
    2 tsp Chili 9000 seasoning
    1 tsp Smoked (mild) Paprika
    12 (or so) strips of good, THIN sliced bacon

Slice the Jalapenos down one side, and then cut part way thru the stem end, leaving enough to keep the stem attached like a "cap".

Using a spoon, scoop out the membranes and seeds from the inside. Rinse, and set aside to dry.

Let the cream cheese come to room temperature (for easier mixing).  If using link sausage, remove the casing from the two links.  Mix the paprika, chili 9000, creme cheese, and sausage together in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined.  (A food processor or hand mixer can make this step a lot easier.)

Stuff the Jalapenos with the cheese/sausage mixture until full. Wrap with a slice (or more if necessary) of bacon until completely covered. Use the stem ends as caps to keep the goodness from oozing out as they cook. (No toothpics were necessary to hold all these together when wuff made them.)

Place on smoker rack with the cut sides up (might be hard to tell thru the bacon). Smoke at 250 degrees in strong smoke (mesquite, hickory, etc) for at least 2 hours, until interior temperature reaches 160 degrees and bacon is reasonably crisp.

Remove from smoker, and allow to rest for 5 minutes or so, for the filling to "set up" a bit.

Devour!

Variation: Add some Amish Gorgonzola Crumbles to the cheese in each "tvrd" for a lovely "bluesy" note.

Notes:

When selecting your Jalapeno's, look for medium sized peppers that have a tight, shiny, glossy skin with no wrinkles, and are not mushy to the touch. The better the pepper, the better this appetizer will be.

Important - use THIN bacon, the thinner the better. Thick cuts won't cook up as crisp, and will stay flabby and under-done. Not nearly as appetizing that way.

Needless to say, good sausage and good bacon will make a world of difference in this dish!
    ....Thanks Brother...  Killer recipe.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markwell said:
    My first Opus with @webmost down in Lancaster. It was a pleasure meeting you, Davis. Looking forward to herfing again soon.
    Wonderful ride home in the rain. It sure was refreshing after a stifling day. Picked up home grown corn at a roadside stand -- picked today for $3 a baker's dozen. We'll have to meet up in West Virginia. Love that state.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Usaf06 said:
    Jas Sum Kral Connecticut
    What did you think Edward. I loved the Connie.
    I had no idea a Connecticut would have that much goodness hidden within. Absolutely fantastic blend.  I love all three JSK blends that I've tried so far. Only been able to find them one place. 

edit: Oh, and this afternoon a Kristoff Sumatra lancero
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful ride home in the rain. It sure was refreshing after a stifling day. Picked up home grown corn at a roadside stand -- picked today for $3 a baker's dozen. We'll have to meet up in West Virginia. Love that state.

Sounds like a plan. I ended up riding the Sunset Limited over at Strasburg Railroad. They had their 1916 and 1919 Model T's out today, along with some very lovely ladies in flapper attire.

There's a shop in Old Town Winchester I've been wanting to try. Maybe I'll scope it out next time I go down.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Jas Sum Kral Connecticut
    What did you think Edward. I loved the Connie.
    I had no idea a Connecticut would have that much goodness hidden within. Absolutely fantastic blend.  I love all three JSK blends that I've tried so far. Only been able to find them one place. 

edit: Oh, and this afternoon a Kristoff Sumatra lancero
    Can order direct from jsk website
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur!
    PDR Flores y Rodriguez Cabinet Seleccion Magicos Capa Habano

MOW Dark Horse
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    From Davis--good Shizz

• Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Grawls
    Sent me this, pretty dang tasty, tyvm bro

The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    5 Vegas Gold Bar
    I know you some a lot of Golds so perhaps you're the community expert on this.  The gold is probably my favorite 5V.  What is your opinion on the Gold Bar?  I always thought they were neat looking but have never tried them. 
  • GrawlsGrawls Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Grawls
    Sent me this, pretty dang tasty, tyvm bro

One of my favorites . Glad you enjoyed