Home Ratings & Reviews

MY Favorite Sticks... RE: Laker

So I have checked and while a few people think this is a good idea...none of you have updated your bio's yet. I am going to go ahead and post this as a thread and I figured if others wanted to do the same you can just change the name in the above heading to your's and we can keep bumping this thread up to keep it relevant... so here is my initial list

Anything Oliva... what can I say
Not so much anything CAO...too in your face, peppery...
Fuente anything again can't go wrong...
Loving toasty, sweet, floural, flavours right now..
Lot 23 natural or Maduro...
AVO Domain...YUMMY...
Montecristo...YES
Gurkha's...jury still out, but still testing :)
Man 'O War... Love 'em
Blue Label... tasty
C.Com House blends, all but Blue, Cammy's
5 Vegas... of course, all.
Ashton...most I've had so far
Cohiba...Don't know I haven't had one yet???
Cusano...SO FAR SO GOOD
Graycliff... yes and no
Fonseca...sure
Rocky Patel...some of the mediums Fusion MM !!
Padron... well yes
Padilla... some, pretty in your face for me
Sol Cubano...YES
OK so I can add the RP Fusion RP Fusion double maduro and oh yeah the Padilla line or at least the three different ones I have tried so far :) More to be added as I think of them or SMOKE 'em :)

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Laker your just too quick for some of us. American's have to work long hours =) On a side note have you had a CAO America? very good smoke I must say.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Alright, since I've got a spreadsheet, this shouldn't be too hard:

All-time favorites. I normally like trying new sticks, but I would be absolutely ecstatic to receive more of any of these:

Camacho 1962
    Cigar.com Cuban Label
    Playboy by Altadis
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
    5 Vegas Gold
    Outland Ecuadorian Sumatra (local house blend)
    Outland Criollo (local house blend)
    Sol Cubano Sumatra
    Graycliff Legend
    Oliva Serie G Cameroon
    La Flor Dominicana Limitado III

I know that y'all don't have access to the local house blends. But if any of you clowns would smoke one of the darn things I sent you and recommend something with a similar flavor profile that doesn't cost so much, it'd probably be my first ever box purchase.

Other cigars I have enjoyed, and would always love to have again:
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1990
    Onyx Reserve
    Cusano Corojo Vintage 1997
    Gurkha Regent
    Trinidad 100th Anniversary
    Gurkha Royal Brigade
    Arturo Fuente
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
    Flor de Oliva
    Cusano Xclusivo
    Nestor Reserve Maduro
    Matasa 30th Anniversary
    Sol Cubano Sumatra
    Nub Cameroon
    La Herencia Cubana
    Montecristo Media Noche
    Gurkha Titan
    Arturo Fuente Don Carlos
    Oliva Special S
    Punch
    Trinidad
    Macanudo 1968
    Gurkha Centurian
    5 Vegas Series A
    Perdomo Reserve Cabinet
    Casa Magna

Those represent the top of my list since I started recording things last year. The second group are all great cigars, but the first group are the ones I literally dream about.

Things I've never tried, but are at the top of my to-do list:
    Other ccom house blends
    Punch Gran Puro
    Gran Habano 3 Siglos
    RP Sun Grown
    Ashton VSG
    RP Decade
    Cohiba Red Dot (or any others.. I'm in the same boat as Laker)
    R&J Viejo
    CAO Criollo
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Huh very interesting duty. Your to try sticks are almost in direct contrast of your two lists of liked, especially the first one.
    Well I'll try to remember to put these in my bio as well but my hands down favorite cigar is the Tatuaje Cojonu 2003 but here are some others I enjoy.

601 especially the Black and Green
    Sol Cubano Sumatra
    CAO MX-2
    Any Tatuaje
    Any illusione
    Most DPG's
    5 Vegas Miami and Classic
    Punch Champion
    Cuvee Rouge

There are plenty more but these immediately popped into my head as favorites.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    What I'm finding is that I like a lot of sticks...and I find more that I like than those that I don't. Here are some of the cigars that have burned holes in my memory and I consider to be treats

Padron 64
    Padron 26
    Oliva Serie V
    DPG Cuban Classic
    Tatuaje Miami
    Tatuaje Havana VI
    Arturo Fuente Don Carlos
    Ashton VSG
    Illusione
    LFD Double Ligero Maduro

this list are only cigars I've had on more than one occasion, there are plenty of other treats that I've had, that will most likely make this list upon having a couple more of them.
    madurofan:
    Huh very interesting duty. Your to try sticks are almost in direct contrast of your two lists of liked, especially the first one.
    Really? Here was my logic in putting together the to-try list:

I've never had an EcSu I didn't like. So that's where I got the Punch Gran Puro, RP Sun Grown, Ashton VSG, and RP Decade.

I've never had a Criollo-wrapped cigar I didn't like, so that's where I got the CAO

I'm determined to find an R&J I like, and the Viejo seems like the best bet.

I have never had any of the other ccom house blends, but I loved the Cuban Label

The 3 Siglos was recommended to me a long time ago by Jozer, so it's still on the list

and I've never had a Cohiba.. that's a gap I want to fix. I really want to try the Cohiba XV, but I figured I'd start with the Red Dot as a baseline.

Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up so much about the ones I listed. Any suggestions on others?
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I liked the Cohiba XV, but as I have found with the domestic Cohiba's I've had, it lacks complexity. Good rich flavor, but not the fantastic flavor and complexity I hope for. I have yet to have a Cohiba Black, but I have one just sitting and waiting.

I think the 3 Siglos may be an addition to my list above...I have one more left that has been resting for about 5 months, the others I've had were great sticks.
    All of those are excellent smokes and while yes the Gran Puro, Sun Grown, VSG and Decade are all EcSu's they are also on the medium- full side of the spectrum where all the cigars in top list are on the mild side. The others on your list I think may be closer to your tastes from what I'm gathering. Aside from the Cohiba(which is a cammie btw)
    bbc020:
    I liked the Cohiba XV, but as I have found with the domestic Cohiba's I've had, it lacks complexity. Good rich flavor, but not the fantastic flavor and complexity I hope for. I have yet to have a Cohiba Black, but I have one just sitting and waiting.

I think the 3 Siglos may be an addition to my list above...I have one more left that has been resting for about 5 months, the others I've had were great sticks.
    I agree with you on the Cohibas but the 3 Siglos IMO suffered from the same issue, extroadinarily bland.
    Interesting.. I had never really analyzed the body of the sticks with respect to my enjoyment of the experience. I've enjoyed plenty of fuller-bodied smokes (Punch, Trinidad).. I actually haven't had many full-bodied cigars because I've intentionally stayed away from them until I've sampled some of the mild-medium sticks. I have been utterly smashed by full bodied cigars (the 601 Black comes to mind), but I'm much more interested in the flavor. As you said on another thread, I'm looking for something with a full flavor, regardless of the body it carries.

I've got some LFD's on hand, and will be smoking those soon in my venture into the fuller-bodied sticks. One thing I believe I have learned is that an overly-spicy stick doesn't appeal to me, mostly because it makes it difficult for me to discern other flavors.

And do you think my spreadsheet doesn't know what wrapper is on a Red Dot? ;)
    I just noticed that your first group of sticks was on the mild side of medium and your to try's were largely on the full side of medium.

My favorite cigars are all over the body chart but I like full flavor most of the time. Although I will say the Sol Cubano Sumatra if I had to jusdge it would be Medium in flavor. There is something about its simplicity that I absolutely love.

I assumed you knew it was a cammie but I had to mention it.
    Alright, so I just did an analysis on my spreadsheet, and here is the breakdown on advertised body for the various sticks I have enjoyed:

Mild: 4
    Medium: 20
    Med-Full: 11
    Full: 4

This seems to indicate that I have a preference for medium-bodied smokes. However, looking more closely, I find I have only had 4 cigars that are marked as full-bodied (Cusano Corojo, Trinidad, Gurkha Titan, and Oliva Special S).. all of these were on my best-liked list.

Approximately half of the sticks I've smoked marked "med-full" were on my list

About 2/3 of the sticks I've smoked marked "medium" were on my list

About 40% of the sticks I've smoked marked "mild or mild-medium" were on my list

So I would say I like cigars of a wide-ranging body. However, I've stayed away from full-bodied sticks because I'm still so new at this. I just need to try more.
    Interesting analysis but I can say with definity that the Cusano Corojo is not full bodied. I guess the Titan is Full-Bodied but it isn't Full-Flavored. Have not had a Trinidad or Special S so I can't say but IMO what Oliva terms as Full bodied isn't close to a DPG full body.
    I actually felt that none of those sticks struck me as particularly full-bodied, even the Titan... those ratings were all based on the information posted on-line about the cigar. I didn't use my own personal "body" ratings.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yeah, I've had several of them, and I wouldn't call the Special S full-bodied. Just a bit north of medium, maybe.
    added mine to my bio..
  • StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    So on my favorite list would probably be
    ASHTON VSG
    Anything Pepin
    Anything Padilla
    5 Vegas A, Classic, Miami
    AVO XO
    La Aurora 1495
    Most perdomos
    La herencia Cubana
    Oliva V
    Padron everything I have had
    CAO like all I have had
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Mine would have to be
    Gurkha Shaggy Natural
    Hemingway
    Don Carlos
    Ashton VSG
    Anejo
    Any other regular or maduro Fuente
    RP Vintage 92
    Nub Cammie and Connecticut
    Partagas, especially the 150.

So far that is it. There are others that I like but those are extremely high on the list.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech's list o' favorite sticks:
    5 Vegas "A", Miami, Limitada, Cask Strength, Classic
    Arturo Fuente Don Carlos
    Ashton VSG, Aged Maduro
    Rocky Patel Anything, including Nording
    Oliva G(maduro and cam)O(maduro)
    Bolivar
    Camacho 1962
    Cohiba Red Dot
    Onyx
    Gurkha Doble Maduro, Nepalese Warrior, Master Select, Turk, Triple Ligero
    Man O' War
    Cusano 18 Paired Maduro
    La Aurora 100 Anos, Barrel Aged, 1495
    Punch Rare Corojo and Gran Puro
    Padilla Miami
    C.COM Brazilian
    CI Legends Orange Label
    I'm sure there will be more as i smoke my way through my humi's, thanks to you guys i have no shortage of sticks i havent tried!
    I had a 5 vegas miami just a few minutes ago and wasn't a big fan. seems as though I'm out of the club.. i do like the A though.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, what the heck...I'll throw in a short list of my favorites.

Padilla: Miami, Signature 1948, Signature 1932
    Perdomo ESV '91 Connecticut
    5 Vegas Classic
    La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet
    La Aurora 1495/ 1495 Cameroon 1994
    Padron 3000 habano, 1964 habano
    Ashton VSG

Well that seems to be what I can pull from the top of my head, surely there are others too.
    I haven't added anything to my bio, yet, laker, because I knew I'd posted a "must haves" list somewhere around here not long ago, and when I had a minute I was just going to find that one and copy it. But now I can't find it, so, in no particular order:

Fuente Don Carlos
    Perdomo ESV '91
    Montecristo White
    Avo Domaine
    Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real
    La Cuna Bin 85, habano
    Montecristo Media Noche
    5 Vegas Classic
    H. Upmann
    Fuente Hemingway
    Punch Gran Puro
    Sancho Panza Double Maduro
    Padron 1926
    Ashton VSG

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but those are the biggies.
    j0z3r:

5 Vegas Classic
    Ashton VSG

Well that seems to be what I can pull from the top of my head, surely there are others too.
    How could I forget the Padilla 1932. Mmmmmmmm
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:

5 Vegas Classic
    Ashton VSG

Indeed, how could you? I'll save ranking it until I've had several more, but as of now it stands as one of the best cigars I've had.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Based on very limited experience...

RP vintage 1992
    RP meritage
    RP decade
    Cusano paired maduro and doubel connie
    gurkha legend
    ashton vsg
    ccom labels (pretty much all)
    onyx
    Nub connie and habano
    Looks like the Ashton VSG is on the list of everyone except doody and maddy. Doody hasn't had one. What's your excuse, maddy?
    urbino:
    Looks like the Ashton VSG is on the list of everyone except doody and maddy. Doody hasn't had one. What's your excuse, maddy?
    I think we have a pinko in our midst. :)
    urbino:
    Same excuse as duty. I have a couple resting now but still haven't smoked one.
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:

5 Vegas Classic
    Ashton VSG

Indeed, how could you? I'll save ranking it until I've had several more, but as of now it stands as one of the best cigars I've had.
    I agree. This the cigar that I smoked on the beach this past summer and it reminded me of peanut butter. Thankfully this was before the salmonella scares.
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Same excuse as duty. I have a couple resting now but still haven't smoked one.
    Really? That surprises me.