Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16:
    txpool:
    kuzi16:
    the one thats a perfecto with an 80 ring at the fattest point?

ive heard they arent as good.

Different cigar. The excentrico is a 7x54 torpedo with a shaggy foot and a shaggy head. Just came out, and it's easily one of the best cigars I've smoked

I believe the one you are referring to is the exquisito.
    yes. that is correct. i saw your tweet and those look good. getting them is a different question.

I think I can answer that question. Pm me your address
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Davidoff Grand Cru
    9-10-12 been in humidor since 12-21-11
    Davidoff Grand Cru No.2 (5.6 x 43)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian-Grown Connecticut-Seed
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican
    Blender: Hendrik Kelner, Alejandro Robaina

The Grand Cru line was released by Davidoff to commemorate the original cigars that Zino Davidoff brought to market in 1946. Of course this is not the original blend given the vast history that Davidoff has covered.

When the original Davidoff cigars were being blended, Zino was the owner of the family Tobacco shop in Switzerland and had previously studied tobacco in Argentina, Brazil and Cuba. The original line was a Cuban tobacco cigar that was loosely based off of Hoyo de Montgomery cabinets. In 1969, when Davidoff became its own Cuban brand, this particular line of cigars became known as the Chateau line and was the fullest of the Cuban Davidoffs. By 1990 Davidoff was in almost constant dispute with Cuba about quality of tobacco and quota issues. In March of that year, Davidoff left Cuba and moved to the Dominican Republic.

When the move happened, the company made an active decision not to attempt to make the new cigars taste like the Cuban Chateau line but rather to attempt to showcase what high quality Dominican tobacco could be. A name change brings us to the modern Grand Cru. With all that history, how is this the same cigar as the original released in 1946 in a little Swiss smoke shop?
    It is the original sizes that were chosen by Zino bearing the original name and they are still the fullest of the brand much like they were in the Cuban market. It is a commemoration line, not a copy line.

One of the hallmarks of Davidoff is quality in construction and this Grand Cru, for the most part, looks the part. The wrapper has a little color variation but nothing that detracts from the elegance of it. Save for the application of the cap, the cigar is seamless. Don’t get me wrong, the triple cap is applied correctly, it just has a bit more color variation than the rest of the cigar so it is not “seamless” in nature. The band is the iconic Davidoff band and has the words “Grand Cru No.2” written on the side. For Davidoff standards, this is about average. For the standards of the cigar world it is simple and elegant to let the smoke do the talking.

The smell of the Grand Cru has a clean earth smell and a touch of barnyard. It is a very classic smell in my mind; almost what a seasoned smoker should expect from a classically blended cigar. The lick on the cap has a touch of spice and a hint of a sour note. A cut with my Xikar Double Guillotine and I have a draw that is smooth enough that there is no work and tight enough that you know you have something, in other words: perfect. The taste of this cold draw is, again, earth and a bit of black pepper that is light on the heat.

I light with my EX soft flame lighter. The opening notes are woody and slightly peppery. A few earth elements are in there as well. The flavor right off the draw is mostly the earth flavors this fades into the woody flavors. As the smoke is pushed out this turns toastier and has the spice through the nose. The finish is more on the earth side again. The finish is light and short in this first third. I am almost shocked at the lack of the signature musk in this cigar. There is none. Every other Davidoff I have had in the past has had that element, at this point, this does not.

The middle third opens up quite a bit. All of the flavors have become more pronounced and refined save for the pepper/spice, that has diminished some. Just past the mid point an herbal quality is noted. It is in flavor and it is is very subtle. It brings a level of complexity to this cigar that was lacking to this point.
    The other quality that I usually find in Davidoff cigars (other than the musk) is there. That quality is that it seems to actively make the mouth water. This makes the roasted and toasty notes seem brighter, the earth taste cleaner and gives the cigar an overall smoother feel to it. The burn is perfect so far but that does not surprise me given the reputation that Davidoff has for quality.

The final third brings on a tighter draw but not quite detrimental. I clipped maybe 1/16th more off the cap and all is right with the world again. The earthiness rounds out and has a sweeter feel to it as well. As it sweetens, it simultaneously brings a spice to the front of the flavor. It is a great balance.

The cigar ends with that profile.

Burn to the burn.
    Burn time: 1 hour 30 minutes.

Burn: 10
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 9.5
    Balance: 9
    Feel: 9
    Overall: 9.2 of 10

it got a 9.2 and thats my least favorite Davidoff to date.

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options

9-12-12 been in humidor since 4-19-12
    J. Fuego 777 Maduro Belicoso (5.5 x 54)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Criollo Maduro
    Binder: Nicaraguan Corojo
    Filler: Nicaraguan Corojo, Nicaraguan Criollo
    Blender: Jesus Fuego

thank you to MVW67 for the trade to get this cigar to me.

The 777 Maduro uses a Criollo wrapper that has undergone the maduro process. This, to some, may seem a strange. This is because the criollo leaf, in the Cuban tradition, is used mainly as a filler leaf. Using this leaf as a wrapper has been something that has caught on in the non-Cuban markets but putting the time into the extra process to darken the leaf and make it a maduro has not caught on. Usually a Connecticut Broadleaf is used for a maduro leaf because of the heartiness and elasticity of the leaf. The Connecticut Broadleaf can stand up to the heavy fermentation that is required to draw out the sugars and turn the leaf dark. The Criollo leaf is a bit thinner and not quite as elastic so the fermentation process has a tendency to to not survive as much, especially as wrapper leaf. This may be part of the reason that criollo is not fermented to this level often. In fact, a quick search for “ Maduro Criollo” only brings up two other cigars that have a criollo leaf that has been through the maduro process.

J. Fuego is a master roller who has blended cigars such as Rocky Patel Vintage 1990, Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, Xikar Defiance and HC, and, of course, his own brand J. Fuego. With popular blends like that under his belt it gives the unique approach to the criollo wrapper leaf (and the cigar) a more confident feel instead of an “experimental” feel.

This cigar has simple presentation. The band is white with black lettering that reads “triple 777 siete maduro”. There are no frills, just a dark maduro wrapper in a belicoso format.

In the hand the cigar does not feel oily in any way. Most madros do. The band comes off easily. The aroma the cigar puts off is a heavy barnyard scent with a spicy feel to it. The pre-cut lick on the cap feels rough on the tongue and surprisingly still no oily feel on the lips. After a cut with my trusty Xi2 I have a draw that is slightly firm and spicy coco in nature. The closest thing I can relate the flavor to is dark chocolate spiced with cayenne pepper. With chocolate and cayenne pepper you get the chocolate flavor first and the heat comes on slowly. The cold draw on this cigar is similar but the spice is there from the get go and mild.

A light with my Bugatti B-1 torch lighter brings the cigar to life with sweet woody notes and a hint of spice. Through the nose there is some burn and a hint at the slightly bitter notes of coffee. As the cigar opens up the woody notes pick up a hint of spice and the sweet notes pick up a hint of refreshing earth. The finish develops a soft spice that does not overwhelm.
    This first third has minor burn issues. One correcting light is needed.

The middle third has more of a grain taste to it through the nose. The sweetness has died down and so has the earthiness. The wood notes are still there but fall to the background. The flavor profile has taken a drastic turn to the roasted side. Slight coffee notes add a bit of depth to the finish.

The final third is much of the same overall profile. The coffee notes seem to take a larger roll but all in all no major changes occur. A few more burn issues come out but nothing that is not fixed by a quick touch up. The cigar is burning very slow and given my smoking style it has a tendency to go out if I do not pay attention to it. Re-lites do not prove detrimental to the flavor.

Burn to the burn
    time: 2 hours 20 minutes
    this time is a bit long due to re-lite factor. I smoke too slow for this cigar.

Burn: 8
    Aftertaste: 10
    Construction: 8
    Feel: 9
    Overall: 8.6 of 10

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    Interesting reviews....I have scanned over them for a while, but this is my first post.  I have often thought what kind of review cigars would get if the manufacturer was unknown and no label.  Sometimes I wonder if reviews might be influenced by the makers reputation.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    No chance of that happening on this particular thread... Kuzi calls 'em like he smokes 'em.
  • Options
    Arky Denny:
    Interesting reviews....I have scanned over them for a while, but this is my first post.  I have often thought what kind of review cigars would get if the manufacturer was unknown and no label.  Sometimes I wonder if reviews might be influenced by the makers reputation.
    that is a fantastic point. Knowledge of the blender, the leaves, and process does change the perception. I dol my best to be objective but I am human. I feel confident that I can identify some aspects in a blind review. I am willing to test me if I can come up with a way to do it.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    No chance of that happening on this particular thread... Kuzi calls 'em like he smokes 'em.
    I Try. Thanks.
    I do call em like I see em. Even if I like the blender ill call em out if they put out a blend that sucks.
    i mean did you read my Padron 1926 review?

i was pretty brutal to a very well respected cigar.
  • Options
    WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this review. I just smoked one 2 days ago for the first time and loved it. It was nice to compare my thoughts. Completely agree with the 10 on aftertaste, that was my favorite part.
  • Options
    9-17-12 been in humidor since 6-8-12
    Carlos Tora
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Good review.
    I've noticed that Torano has a particular flavor profile that crosses their entire line. You taste it in all of their sticks. And I don't dislike it. Does this stick follow that trend? Being the growers, agers, and rollers, you would suspect that they handle their tobacco a bit differently than other operations. And that process would develop its' own characteristics.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    In depth as always on the virtuoso. I get the same distinct Torano Twain across the line and like it also. Digging the Torano Signature torps for the past year on an older box I aged for a few years. Gtta see kuzis take on those.
  • Options
    im not too familiar with the brand. only smoked a few so i cant speak much about that blending style within the brand.
  • Options

10-1-12 been in humidor since 9-1-2006
    Bolivar Robusto (crystal tube) (5.5 x 50)
    Wrapper: San Augustine Honduras Ligero
    Binder: Connecticut medio tiempo
    Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan (Estali, Ometepe)
    Blender: Daniel Nu
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think the "dusty" flavor came from being enclosed in a tube? Kinda like having a room in an old house locked up for years; it gets a little musty and the air stagnates. Would reduced air flow create more of a musty profile? This makes me want to buy and age tubos. Thanks!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    im not sure. the last time i smoked one of these was in 06. I bought that cigar as a part of a brand sampler less then a year after the reblend. i smoked all but that one within a few months. honestly i cant remember if that flavor was there or not. im not sure i would put the flavor as "musty" because "musty" implies dampness. dust does not. it was a very dry flavor. of course the cigar was not dry. it was just an impression.
  • Options

10-16-12 been in humidor since 8-20-12
    Humo Jaguar Robusto (5 x 52)
    Wrapper: Honduran Oscuro Viso Priming
    Binder: Honduran (Talanga)
    Filler: Honduran grown Cuban seed
    Blender: Nestor Plasencia

Thanks to RCYcigars for this cigar.

Humo Jaguar is named after the Honduran Cigar festival in 2011 where this blend won first prize. That is fairly common knowledge. What is a bit less commonly known is how the festival got its name. Humo Jaguar was a Mayan ruler ruler of the city of Copan. This is relevant because the Mayans were one of the earliest cultures to cultivate tobacco and make cigars. The word “cigar” actually comes from the Mayan’s “sicar” (and also the origin of “Xikar” originally intended to be pronounced “zih-car” from the same Mayan word). The region now called Honduras was where the Mayans started the tobacco tradition that has given Honduras the reputation of “The Cradle of Tobacco.”

The Binder is from a region of Honduras that many are not familiar with. It is approximately two hours of north by car of the famous tobacco growing region of Danli. This area has higher winds than in the south and traditionally the tobacco is grown with the protection of tall grasses that are grown near by. Most of the tobacco is sun grown in that region giving it some punch to it.

The first impression of this cigar comes off the band. The black and silver with and orange “g” is simple and modern. It gets to the point. The cigar itself is a rich and uneven brown with many large veins that are easily seen in the wrapper. It is a basic presentation for a cigar that is considered to be made of, the best tobacco and blended to be the best cigar Honduras has to offer.

In the hands the cigar has a very oily feel to it. The heavy oils translate into a rich earthy smell. It is a very classic cigar bouquet. The lick on the cap has a velvet feel on the lips and tongue with subtle sweet and a light spice that lingers. It feels really comfortable to hold both in the hand and in the mouth. The cut of the cap lets me if with a very good draw that hints on the firm side. The classic tobacco notes continue on the cold draw with a hint of a graham cracker or nutmeg.

The toast and light seem to go very quickly. The initial flavor is sweet and smooth and creamy. Through the nose is a damp wood and a bit of pepper. It is quite nice. The first puff of this cigar was the first in a long time that actually made me comment verbally (though I was by myself) how good it was. The sweetness is very present but not overpowering and, upon further inspection, has a nutty quality to it. This nutty quality is almost a texture and it feels very Honduran, if that makes any sense. Through the nose the damp wood is a great transition to the ever-so-slightly spice and nice coco on the finish. The finish is subtle but long. It is never overpowering.

The ash has yet to fall for the first time and there is a perfect burn by the time the cigar riches the one third smoked point. . The damp wood taste has picked up and some spice has joined the mix in the initial flavor. There is also a bit more spice on the finish. The sweetness has fallen away for the most part but the nutty undertone is subtly still there and is again mostly in the texture and mostly on the finish. Through the nose I still get the damp wood but there is more spice and no coco. I feel that this cigar is still changing. As the middle third develops the damp wood notes “dry out” to a more typical wood profile. There is still a nutty undertone but the wood taste takes over, mostly in the finish and through the nose.

The final third builds in intensity and the subtle sweeter flavors slowly disappear. The spicy notes pick up and the woody notes take over. Over the length of the stick the cigar loses complexities per puff but since it is very different than the initial third I still call this a complex cigar that takes you on a journey. A bitter note is picked up later in the last third of the cigar and the flavors flatten out quite a bit.

Burn to the nub
    time: 2 hours 15 minutes

Burn: 9
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 9
    Feel: 8

Had this cigar not lost all of its sweetness by the final third it would have rated much higher.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

10-16-12 been in humidor since 8-20-12
    Humo Jaguar Robusto (5 x 52)
    Wrapper: Honduran Oscuro Viso Priming
    Binder: Honduran (Talanga)
    Filler: Honduran grown Cuban seed
    Blender: Nestor Plasencia

Thanks to RCYcigars for this cigar.

Humo Jaguar is named after the Honduran Cigar festival in 2011 where this blend won first prize. That is fairly common knowledge. What is a bit less commonly known is how the festival got its name. Humo Jaguar was a Mayan ruler ruler of the city of Copan. This is relevant because the Mayans were one of the earliest cultures to cultivate tobacco and make cigars. The word “cigar” actually comes from the Mayan’s “sicar” (and also the origin of “Xikar” originally intended to be pronounced “zih-car” from the same Mayan word). The region now called Honduras was where the Mayans started the tobacco tradition that has given Honduras the reputation of “The Cradle of Tobacco.”

The Binder is from a region of Honduras that many are not familiar with. It is approximately two hours of north by car of the famous tobacco growing region of Danli. This area has higher winds than in the south and traditionally the tobacco is grown with the protection of tall grasses that are grown near by. Most of the tobacco is sun grown in that region giving it some punch to it.

The first impression of this cigar comes off the band. The black and silver with and orange “g” is simple and modern. It gets to the point. The cigar itself is a rich and uneven brown with many large veins that are easily seen in the wrapper. It is a basic presentation for a cigar that is considered to be made of, the best tobacco and blended to be the best cigar Honduras has to offer.

In the hands the cigar has a very oily feel to it. The heavy oils translate into a rich earthy smell. It is a very classic cigar bouquet. The lick on the cap has a velvet feel on the lips and tongue with subtle sweet and a light spice that lingers. It feels really comfortable to hold both in the hand and in the mouth. The cut of the cap lets me if with a very good draw that hints on the firm side. The classic tobacco notes continue on the cold draw with a hint of a graham cracker or nutmeg.

The toast and light seem to go very quickly. The initial flavor is sweet and smooth and creamy. Through the nose is a damp wood and a bit of pepper. It is quite nice. The first puff of this cigar was the first in a long time that actually made me comment verbally (though I was by myself) how good it was. The sweetness is very present but not overpowering and, upon further inspection, has a nutty quality to it. This nutty quality is almost a texture and it feels very Honduran, if that makes any sense. Through the nose the damp wood is a great transition to the ever-so-slightly spice and nice coco on the finish. The finish is subtle but long. It is never overpowering.

The ash has yet to fall for the first time and there is a perfect burn by the time the cigar riches the one third smoked point. . The damp wood taste has picked up and some spice has joined the mix in the initial flavor. There is also a bit more spice on the finish. The sweetness has fallen away for the most part but the nutty undertone is subtly still there and is again mostly in the texture and mostly on the finish. Through the nose I still get the damp wood but there is more spice and no coco. I feel that this cigar is still changing. As the middle third develops the damp wood notes “dry out” to a more typical wood profile. There is still a nutty undertone but the wood taste takes over, mostly in the finish and through the nose.

The final third builds in intensity and the subtle sweeter flavors slowly disappear. The spicy notes pick up and the woody notes take over. Over the length of the stick the cigar loses complexities per puff but since it is very different than the initial third I still call this a complex cigar that takes you on a journey. A bitter note is picked up later in the last third of the cigar and the flavors flatten out quite a bit.

Burn to the nub
    time: 2 hours 15 minutes

Burn: 9
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 8

Had this cigar not lost all of its sweetness by the final third it would have rated much higher.
    I am really fond of this cigar, thanks for the review
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Nice review kuzi. I got one of these last week and looking forward to trying it.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi, nice review. Glad to know you had a interest in that cigar.
  • Options
    RCY Cigars:
    Kuzi, nice review. Glad to know you had a interest in that cigar.
    i was actually very excited to see this cigar come out.
    i would love to give it another shot at some point to see if it was just me or if the second half just kinda falls flat on all of them. the cigar progressed from light to heavy but also from complex to flat.
    i hope it was me and not the cigar. i kind of expected more.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Excellent review, kuzi. I've been eyeballing these for a bit and was wondering if I should pull the trigger. May have to try one or two.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Excellent review, kuzi. I've been eyeballing these for a bit and was wondering if I should pull the trigger. May have to try one or two.
    +1

Great review Kuzi.
    I definitely have to try one now.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    10-22-12 been in humidor since 11-30-08
    La Aurora Preferido Emerald (5 x 54 perfecto)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Binder: Dominican grown Corojo
    Filler: Dominican grown Piloto Cubano, Peruvian, Brazilian Bahia
    Blender: Jose Blanco

This cigar was voted the seventh best cigar of 2006 by Cigar Aficionado. That is quite a bit to live up to, not to mention the price tag. All the stories that are out there about this cigar are well known and everything that can be said about this cigar is common knowledge.

I do have some fear of this cigar due to the shape. The perfecto is notorious for being difficult to roll and there are a handful of reviews that have mentioned a difficult burn. La Aurora makes a big deal about how only their best rollers make these cigars. Most companies do. Still, this vitola in any marca has issues.

…and the price tag.
    I try and do my best to keep price out of my reviews. The price is not an indicator of how good a cigar will be, or if I will like it. However, there does come an expectation once the price is what most will spend on 4 cigars that it will perform better. It is cigars like this that always make me question my palate.

The presentation is amazing. The tube is a brightly colored green with a “band” painted on the outside. Once the tube is opened a fairly rough looking milk chocolate wrapper. The band on the actual cigar is exactly like the one on the tube save for the fact that all the silver on the tube version is replaced with gold. Its a fairly small looking cigar that is a classic perfecto shape. This is the shape that is seen in cartoons for decades. It also happens to be one of my favorite shapes due to the constantly changing wrapper to filler ratio.

There is a silky feel to this cigar. You can feel the bumps of the rough wrapper, however they feel soft because of the oils. The smell of the cigar is strong. It is a very classic scent of heavy barnyard and hay. Licking the cap brings on a sweeter note and a very oily feel in the mouth. It is not often this much oils are left on the lips when I wet the cap pre-cut. These oils linger and slowly bring spice long after the cigar leaves the lips. Once cut with my Xi2 the draw is very nice. There is a sweeter quality to the cold draw that reminds me of figs.

my standard soft flame is applied.
    The light is easy given the small point that needs to be toasted.
    The first puffs are mild and tend to the sweet end of the spectrum. Both through the nose and on the palate there is a light musk. Woody notes that remind me of oak are present but mild. The cigar is incredibly smooth and mild even though there is a white pepper spice on the tongue while the smoke is being swirled. The finish is very long and lightly musk as well. As the cigar starts to open up the wood notes come out a bit more and the musk tames down a bit. The musk is mostly on the finish and is very nice.

By the time the middle third hits there is is a bit more spice-like notes. It is all very light and reminds me of white pepper. This white pepper note seems to be an offshoot of the musk. I am still able to push 100% of the smoke out through the nose with no burn what-so-ever. If I puff slightly faster than I usually smoke there is the light spice but if I set the cigar down a few moments that calms down and it is mostly wood and musk. Both profiles are enjoyable. The burn at the midpoint is still flawless.

As the cigar begins to taper back down the musk flavors start to intensify again. There is no building of power. The musk on the latter half of the cigar does seem to be sharper than on the initial half. This may be due to the diminishing sweetness as the cigar moves along. As the cigar approaches the end more leather notes come out. But the cigar never hearts up and there are no burn issues at all. The burn was perfect the entire time.

Burn to the burn
    Time: two hours flat.

Burn: 10
    Draw: 10
    Construction: 10
    Overall: 9.3 of 10
    This cigar is mild, smooth and elegant. Does it deserve the price tag? I’m not 100% sold on that. It was darn good but a little shy of amazing. Am I disappointed with it? No. Not at all. I don’t feel like I wasted the money, but I would have to put quite a bit of thought into purchasing another.

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice review Kuzi. Don't think I've had this particular preferido yet. Might have to change that soon.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Great review!! This is my favorite from aurora and is one of my go to sticks... Tony ill send ya some if you like
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options

Viaje Zombie (4.625 x 52)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Andre Farkas

A big thanks to steeveplz for this LE stick.

I am a huge horror movie fan, specifically Zombies. This, and being the Halloween holiday, makes it appropriate to review this cigar today.

Andre Farkas, owner of and creator of the Viaje brand is given credit for this blend. However, I have to note that there is a chance that master blender Arsenio Ramos had a hand in this cigar. He did work on a few blends at Viaje in the past.

Though some people seem to believe that the Viaje Zombie is supposed to be a way for Viaje to cash in on Tatuaje's monster series fame, this is not the case. In reality, this cigar was sort of a spinoff of the Skull and Crossbones series. To be specific, this cigar got its name because it is part of the storyline. The Zombie was released very shortly after the WMB and the MAOB and was supposed to be (according to the story line) named after the “ transformation into Zombies after being exposed to radiation from the WMD release.” However, the blend is very different than the WMB or the MAOB.

This particular Zombie is the 2012 release, not the original 2011 release. What gives it away is the pinhole on the center of the cap at the foot of the cigar. (There is a need to distinguish because the foot is capped as well.) The 2011 release did not have this pinhole. It was added in the 2012 release to allow moisture to be released post roll. Apparently there was concern from the first release that didn't have the hole. According to Farkas, this is all part of learning process in the new concept of a cap on both ends of a cigar.

With a cap on both ends, how does one light it? Viaje claims that it is perfectly acceptable to cut the head like usual and toast the uncut foot. Since part of my lighting ritual is to very gently puff on the cigar once it is fully toasted I don't plan on doing this. It is very difficult to draw on a cigar that only has a pinhole. I plan on cutting the cigar on both ends with a standard cut on the head and the smallest cut I am able to make on the foot. With luck, this will give the draw I am looking for.

The cigar has a light tooth to it but still manages to feel smooth in the hand. It is slightly oily as well. The construction looks very good but the wrapper leaf itself still looks a bit rustic as if it had a difficult life. The band is black with green classic horror film font that reads “Zombie.”

This is usually the time I remove the band in my pre-light ritual. However, once I cut both ends I may not be able to tell what end is the head and what end is the foot. This may not seem like a big deal since both ends are capped, however cigars are still intended to be smoked in one direction. There are even manufacturers that will put different tobaccos in the cigar at different points to give different tastes as the cigar is smoked.

This cigar smells like many dark Nicaraguan puros do, rich and barnyard. There seems to be slight woody feel to it as well. The lick on the cap has some spice to it. I use my double guillotine to cut the cigar on both ends. I cut the head first. The draw through the pinhole is not that. There is some resistance and some spicy notes. I am still worried about getting a good burn from the get go if I do not clip the other end. Once the other end is clipped the draw opens up only slightly. When it comes to the cold flavor, it is now much more chocolatey in nature.

I light with my Xikar EX lighter. My initial puffs are woody with a spicy finish with a hint of espresso. There is a bit of the Nicaraguan texture. Through the nose there is a bit of burn. As the cigar settles in there is a slightly sweeter note to the wood that is already there. The pulpy texture settles into the spicy finish for the most part. The entire puff has undertones of coffee and/or espresso that lingers with a black pepper long after the cigar leaves the lips. The finish seems almost unending. From early on it is clear that this is a powerful smoke.

The middle third brings on a more coco note. The woody nature has slipped a bit to a dried straw/hay feel to it and the finish has moved heavily to the coffee side. The pulpy and spice texture is still there. There is not doubt that this is designed to be a full on Nicaraguan cigar. There is no attempt to blend away the “Nicaragua” of this cigar. And it is doing a good job of keeping true to the country while filtering out all the negatives that could be associated with the tobacco from Nicaragua. The only complaint is the finish. It lasts a bit too long in my opinion. The cigar has quite a bit of power. Considering that my cigar of choice is medium in body for the most part this cigar is forcing me to smoke slower than I usually would. This is giving way to a few minor burn issues, mainly that it wont stay lit and tends to tunnel. Despite the power, it is still able to maintain a good semblance of balance, smoothness, and grace.

By the final third this cigar has picked up a depth of flavor that it didnt have early in the experience. The wood notes are back but much rounder. The coco note has gone but the coffee remains. This coffee spills into the initial flavor but really come on in the finish. The spice element and the pulpy texture has been muted and this brings the cigar into the balance it was trying for initially. This third is the best part of the cigar. There are definitely some minor burn issues that are corrected by quick touch up. The cigar is heavy in power and strong in flavor but the mouth feel is silky and smooth and lighter than the overall cigar. It is almost as if it is just highly flavored air. That is, until the finish. The finish is heavy and long still. This is something that is uncommon in cigars.

The Zombie warms a bit at the end and leaves the same sensation in the mouth. The power is felt in the gut and the cigar ends a peaceful death in the ashtray.

There is nothing at any one point in this cigar that I have not tasted before in a cigar. However, when looking at the journey that this cigar takes you on it is clear that this a a unique cigar and interesting blending concepts going on under the Nicaraguan wrapper.

Burn to the burn
    time 2 hours 10 minutes.

Feel: 10
    Overall: 9.0 of 10

• Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    kuzi16:

I am a huge horror movie fan, specifically Zombies. This, and being the Halloween holiday, makes it appropriate to review this cigar today.

Andre Farkas, owner of and creator of the Viaje brand is given credit for this blend. However, I have to note that there is a chance that master blender Arsenio Ramos had a hand in this cigar. He did work on a few blends at Viaje in the past.

Though some people seem to believe that the Viaje Zombie is supposed to be a way for Viaje to cash in on Tatuaje's monster series fame, this is not the case. In reality, this cigar was sort of a spinoff of the Skull and Crossbones series. To be specific, this cigar got its name because it is part of the storyline. The Zombie was released very shortly after the WMB and the MAOB and was supposed to be (according to the story line) named after the “ transformation into Zombies after being exposed to radiation from the WMD release.” However, the blend is very different than the WMB or the MAOB.

This particular Zombie is the 2012 release, not the original 2011 release. What gives it away is the pinhole on the center of the cap at the foot of the cigar. (There is a need to distinguish because the foot is capped as well.) The 2011 release did not have this pinhole. It was added in the 2012 release to allow moisture to be released post roll. Apparently there was concern from the first release that didn't have the hole. According to Farkas, this is all part of learning process in the new concept of a cap on both ends of a cigar.

With a cap on both ends, how does one light it? Viaje claims that it is perfectly acceptable to cut the head like usual and toast the uncut foot. Since part of my lighting ritual is to very gently puff on the cigar once it is fully toasted I don't plan on doing this. It is very difficult to draw on a cigar that only has a pinhole. I plan on cutting the cigar on both ends with a standard cut on the head and the smallest cut I am able to make on the foot. With luck, this will give the draw I am looking for.

The cigar has a light tooth to it but still manages to feel smooth in the hand. It is slightly oily as well. The construction looks very good but the wrapper leaf itself still looks a bit rustic as if it had a difficult life. The band is black with green classic horror film font that reads “Zombie.”

This is usually the time I remove the band in my pre-light ritual. However, once I cut both ends I may not be able to tell what end is the head and what end is the foot. This may not seem like a big deal since both ends are capped, however cigars are still intended to be smoked in one direction. There are even manufacturers that will put different tobaccos in the cigar at different points to give different tastes as the cigar is smoked.

This cigar smells like many dark Nicaraguan puros do, rich and barnyard. There seems to be slight woody feel to it as well. The lick on the cap has some spice to it. I use my double guillotine to cut the cigar on both ends. I cut the head first. The draw through the pinhole is not that. There is some resistance and some spicy notes. I am still worried about getting a good burn from the get go if I do not clip the other end. Once the other end is clipped the draw opens up only slightly. When it comes to the cold flavor, it is now much more chocolatey in nature.

I light with my Xikar EX lighter. My initial puffs are woody with a spicy finish with a hint of espresso. There is a bit of the Nicaraguan texture. Through the nose there is a bit of burn. As the cigar settles in there is a slightly sweeter note to the wood that is already there. The pulpy texture settles into the spicy finish for the most part. The entire puff has undertones of coffee and/or espresso that lingers with a black pepper long after the cigar leaves the lips. The finish seems almost unending. From early on it is clear that this is a powerful smoke.

The middle third brings on a more coco note. The woody nature has slipped a bit to a dried straw/hay feel to it and the finish has moved heavily to the coffee side. The pulpy and spice texture is still there. There is not doubt that this is designed to be a full on Nicaraguan cigar. There is no attempt to blend away the “Nicaragua” of this cigar. And it is doing a good job of keeping true to the country while filtering out all the negatives that could be associated with the tobacco from Nicaragua. The only complaint is the finish. It lasts a bit too long in my opinion. The cigar has quite a bit of power. Considering that my cigar of choice is medium in body for the most part this cigar is forcing me to smoke slower than I usually would. This is giving way to a few minor burn issues, mainly that it wont stay lit and tends to tunnel. Despite the power, it is still able to maintain a good semblance of balance, smoothness, and grace.

By the final third this cigar has picked up a depth of flavor that it didnt have early in the experience. The wood notes are back but much rounder. The coco note has gone but the coffee remains. This coffee spills into the initial flavor but really come on in the finish. The spice element and the pulpy texture has been muted and this brings the cigar into the balance it was trying for initially. This third is the best part of the cigar. There are definitely some minor burn issues that are corrected by quick touch up. The cigar is heavy in power and strong in flavor but the mouth feel is silky and smooth and lighter than the overall cigar. It is almost as if it is just highly flavored air. That is, until the finish. The finish is heavy and long still. This is something that is uncommon in cigars.

The Zombie warms a bit at the end and leaves the same sensation in the mouth. The power is felt in the gut and the cigar ends a peaceful death in the ashtray.

There is nothing at any one point in this cigar that I have not tasted before in a cigar. However, when looking at the journey that this cigar takes you on it is clear that this a a unique cigar and interesting blending concepts going on under the Nicaraguan wrapper.

Burn to the burn
    time 2 hours 10 minutes.

Great review kuzi, I'm surprised it took a little over 2 hours to smoke I have 2 of the 2012 release I should light one up soon
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This review convinced me to smoke one for Halloween. Great review Matt.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    big chunks:
    kuzi16:

Burn to the burn
    time 2 hours 10 minutes.

Great review kuzi, I'm surprised it took a little over 2 hours to smoke I have 2 of the 2012 release I should light one up soon
    This is Kuzi we are talking about here, he takes about this long to smoke a robusto too so not too surprising. I think I will have to smoke one of these too, I just wonder if there is a way to tell the difference between the first and second release, as I got one in a trade a while back. I will have to smoke it and read this review at the same time, thanks for the review.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    chemforever:
    I think I will have to smoke one of these too, I just wonder if there is a way to tell the difference between the first and second release, as I got one in a trade a while back. I will have to smoke it and read this review at the same time, thanks for the review.
    As Kuzi mentioned, the original 2011 release did not have the pinhole in the foot. It is easy to see on the 2012 so you should have no problem identifying between the two. Thanks for the review Kuzi. I actually managed to keep a 2012 zombie for myself this time (I gifted all my 2011's away before getting around to smoking one). I might have to burn it down this weekend.