Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    13 hours later...

im back for work. and i still havent decided...
    that wisnton churhill you sent maddy, may not actually be at 6 weeks yet... lemme check brb... ok you're right. 7+ actually. iduno... so many choices. I guess ill see what i want when I open the humi tommorow.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Thanks Urbi.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:
    im thinking of smoking the gran habano tomorrow... iduno though, too many cigars to decide from. Maybe the brazilian label i got in my MAW. why dont you all leave me thoughts on this while im at work ALL FREAKIN DAY
    Gran Habano 3 Singlos !! One of my new favorites.. Just ordered 3 more to fill an order.. well actually start an order. That was the first one I thought of when placing the order.
    I have 5 3 Siglos Churchills right now in their resting phase, I'm licking my lips thinking about them.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    13 hours later...

im back for work. and i still havent decided...
    that wisnton churhill you sent maddy, may not actually be at 6 weeks yet... lemme check brb... ok you're right. 7+ actually. iduno... so many choices. I guess ill see what i want when I open the humi tommorow.
    I think it'll be a nice change of pace bc its a Davidoff(something neither you nor I smoke regularly) BUT its what Davidoff considers there most full bodied. Also its blended to match what Sir Winston Churchill considered his favorite things about a cigar.

OHHHHHH speaking of davidoff I was chatting with the local B&M owner last night (he had a San Cristobal event with Scotch and chocolate, very good) and APPARENTLY Davidoff has a Maduro coming soon :D!
  • Options
    davidoff maduro... i hope its not a dissapointment like the cohiba black was.

i also heard some grumblings about some cuban brands thinking about maduro. a cuban maduro might be kinda good. bringin out all the sweetness and what not...
  • Options
    Hmmm an ISOM cohiba maduro. Yummy.
  • Options
    i dont htink it was ISOM cohiba that was giving that a shot but i cant remember who it was.
  • Options
    Monte? An ISOM Media Noche?
  • Options
    wow... im gunna contemplate that one over a cigar. ill be back in a few hours. (its a bigun)
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    wow... im gunna contemplate that one over a cigar. ill be back in a few hours. (its a bigun)
    Report back!
  • Options
    7-25-08 been in humidor since 2-24-07

Cuban Parejo by Perdomo
    Corona Gigante (7.5 x 56)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan sun grown Rosado
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan

This is a large, almost intimidating cigar. It is a reddish brown in color with a bit of sparkly bloom to it. The cello has yellowed a bit. The smell is a bit on the earthy side with maybe a bit of coco. It’s hard to tell. The smell is mild. The wrapper is toothy. The lick on the cap is sweet coco and coffee. It feels a bit oily and it makes my mouth literally water. Cut with a punch. The draw is perfect and has a taste of classic tobacco and maybe coco.

The light is quick given the size of this cigar. The smoke that is given off during the light has an earthy aroma. This is mirrored in the first draw. It’s kind of a sweet earth. The hints of coco are more dark chocolate once lit. It is fairly faint. The burn is cool. After a few minutes a mild spice on the cinnamon side develops.

The first ash fell at about 1 ½ inches. A relight from my own neglect is needed. For once I’m not smoking fast enough. Even though this light is a bit more in haste than the first the flavor remains consistent. This isn’t the end of the burn issues however. Nearing the halfway point t corrective light is needed. One side is burning faster than the other. By the way it is doing so it is clear that it is a construction issue. The flavor is still very good and consistent, given the number of times the torch has hit the cigar.

The finish has not been notable. Its not that it isn’t there, it’s that it doesn’t stand out in any way. It’s easy to forget. It seems to be a very mild nut flavor.

As the cigar comes to an end the draw gets a bit harder but not by too much. The flavor is much of the same with maybe a bit more of the coco coming out. The finish is still short even this far in. the burn issues are for the most part gone.

Burned to just past (where) the band (would be)
    Burn time: 2h 10 min

Burn: 7
    Draw: 8
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 7
    Appearance: 9
    Feel: 9

Overall: 8.1
    3 smoke rings -- an average cigar

Recommended to:
    Those who like a medium smoke that doesn’t build in body.
    Those who don’t need complexity over the course of 2 hours
    Those who have the time to smoke it.
  • Options
    on a side note...
    this is the first cigar in my NEW catalog. i filled the old one up. its not as impressive to look at on the computer as it is to see a notebook with a cigar review on every page.

time for Vol. 2!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Nice review kuzi, you pretty much captured what I thought of that particular cigar. I liked it, but I think I like the shorter size formats better, the belicoso fino was nice a roughly 90 minute smoke, at 6.5 x 64 it smokes quicker than you'd think.
  • Options
    i finally got time to smoke the cigar.com Brazilian label. Ill get a review up soon.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Kewl.
  • Options
    8-1-08 been in humi since 5-30-08

Cigar.com Brazilian Label Torpedo (6x52)
    Wrapper: Brazilian
    Filler: ?? (If anyone knows, let me know)

The cigar is dark; almost black. The smell before the light is on the sweet side. As I pull off the band, my fingernails crack the wrapper and peel a bit off with it. …smoooooth… The lick on the cap is a bit cedar in nature with a bit of a spice to it. Cut with a double guillotine cutter. The light is quick.

The cigar opens with a leather taste and a hint of spice. This quickly changes after a few moments to a coco-like flavor. The draw is a hint on the light side. A slight sweetness develops as the cigar settles from the light. A finish of a bit of black pepper is on the back of the palate. Its borderline harsh, but I feel that this was from hitting it too hard with the flame on the light. The coco flavor is defiantly the most noticeable and it’s the high point at this point.

The ash fell at almost an inch. I find this good considering that this is a mixed filler cigar.

At the half way point there is little change in flavor and the burn is even.

In the last third the cigar develops a bit, with more depth to the flavor and a bit more body. The burn becomes more uneven but only one touch up is needed.

Close to the end a slight coffee flavor is hinted at. Burned to the nub.

Somehow this cigar reminds me a bit of the CAO Mx2

Burn: 8
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 8
    Appearance: 9
    Feel: 8

Overall: 8.3
    3 smoke rings -- an average cigar

Recommended to:
    People who want a Maduro on a budget.
    Those early in their smoking career
    Those who want a smoke they don’t need to think about.

• Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    nice review i will have to try one of those now.
  • Options
    THat was my take on the Brazilian kuzi. Good cigar to smoke when I'm not by myself contemplating the cigar.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Nice review. I was a bit intrigued when I saw this cigar on the site, and wanted to try it. Your review intrigued me even more. I'll throw some of these in with my next order.
  • Options
    ScionScion Posts: 20
    your reviews are a lot of fun to read.... thanks for posting
  • Options
    thanks. ive taken some time off from the reviews. I havent had much time to cigar as of late. i hope to change that soon.
  • Options
    I think that Winston Churchill is calling your name ....
  • Options
    Winston Churchill by Davidoff
    Chequers (5.25 x 46)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sungrown
    Binder: Dominican Yamasa
    Filler: Dominican Republic, Peru, Nicaraguan.

The cigar is a medium brown with a red and gold band. It’s an old style band (for lack of better words). The presentation is great and the cigar is smooth and oily. The lick on the cap has a faint sweet taste but not like you would find on a sugar dipped tip (baccarat) cut with a punch. The draw test reveals a near perfect draw with an un-lit taste of leather, licorice, and mushrooms.

The first puffs have a leather note to them. It’s a bit on the sweeter side. A slight spice develops about half an inch in, but all in all, the taste is a bit on the thin side for the first half to three quarters of an inch in.

After that first inch is burned the leather starts to develop and it becomes more round. The spice is very mild and hit or miss. There is a creamy texture to the smoke. Hints of earth and walnuts come out on the aftertaste. The finish is too short in my opinion.

The light must have scorched the tobacco because after the first inch the cigar starts to explode with flavors.

The first ash falls at about 1.5 inches. The flavor is becoming more and more round with every puff.

The humidity outside has caused the wrapper to split ever so slightly but so far this really hasn’t effected the burn at all.

The spice at the half way point is cinnamon in nature. It’s quite good. The nuttiness is getting sweeter but not in a sugary way. Leather is still the dominant flavor.

The last third brings some fray to the wrapper. The leather and walnut flavors have merged to one flavor. The spice is still the same and still mild and hit or miss. A corrective light is needed.

Burned to the nub.

This cigar was supposedly blended to embody what Winston Churchill liked in a smoke. If this was the case he had good taste. I am not too familiar with Davidoff cigars but from what I hear they tend to blend to the leather side of tobacco. I would have liked this cigar more if they would have played up the nut flavors.

Burn: 8
    Draw: 9.5
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 10
    Appearance: 10
    Feel: 8

Overall: 8.9
    4 smoke rings -- an above average cigar

Recommended to:
    Those who want to see what Churchill liked
    Those who like Davidoff cigars.
    Those like a very mild sweetness and stronger leather.
  • Options
    thanks to maddy for that one.
    these were all over Vegas.
  • Options
    That strong leather in the Churchill is no where near as strong as a Davidoff IMO. If this thing wasn't so damned expensive it would be in my regualr rotation.
  • Options
    i agree on that. they start at 11 or 12 and go up from there. its a good smoke. im not sure its worth the price though.
  • Options
    Yea but thats typically how I feel about most Davidoff's. I have a Davidoff Maddy resting right now. I can barely contain myself. For some reason I'm completely expecting it to taste just like a Ccom Red label LOL.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Enjoying the reviews Kuzi.
  • Options
    i got another cigar in the catalog today but im in a bit of a time crunch to get to work at the moment so im gunna put it up as soon as i can.

rated it a 9.3 ...
  • Options
    mother of god a 9.3 .... it has to be a gurkha ;)