Home General Discussion
Options

Rocky Patel vs. Gurkha

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Dammit, I hate forums. You can never tell when someone is joking then it takes 4 posts to establish that the first post was a joke and by then its not funny anymore.
  • Options
    LMAO, good point. Touche salesman, touche.
  • Options
    Volcano insurance, volcano insurance, he's signing it, he's signing, I can't believe he's signing it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thats interesting.

i have an issue with RP's image.

but Ill start with Gurkha...
    Gurkha has the image of being the "rolls royce" of cigars. they claim to be the "world's finest cigar" . they have lines such as The legend, the Crest, The Centurian, the black dragon, dragon fury, G3, G5, the beast, the titan, Regent, Warlord, and, of course, HMR.... they even make their own coffee. with lines that have rated as well as those have and using the tobacco they have you can start to see where Gurkha can be the Rolls Royce of cigars.

Rocky Patel has MUSIC on their front page... not a fan but it shows that they are putting effort forth. their lines include the Decade, the edge, OWR, the vintage series (92 and 90), nording, nicaro, I-press, sungrown, Fusions, Fumas, R4 ITC, and countless small batchs. Rocky has hands in the blends of many of the cigars many of us love. (REO,java, indian tabac)

Rocky is all over the place. EVERYWHERE. its crazy. here in lies the problem. there is so much going on that it seems that it is no longer about quality anymore. its seems to be about what all can RP get his name on. i mean, seriously: the edge and Edge counterfits? come on...
    plus the fact that i dont even like nicaraguan tobacco as much.

tis brings us back to gurkha... er... the owner of gurkha K.Hansotia... he seems to be having the same problem as gurkha: make more blends to make more money. the quantity is going up. is the quality going down? just a few thoughts: Symphony, turk, Park Ave.

they both are in a cigar war of sorts. for some reason its a bout quantity, not quality. I just think that Gurkha is slipping to the dark side slower than Rocky Patel.

...and gurkhas just taste better.
  • Options
    I actually agree with what you said. No need in arguing. Except that they are going to the dark side any slower. They just don't sell near as many cigars.

My issue with Gurkha is that they aren't even close to the image they want to project as the Rolls-Royce of cigars. To begin with the don't grow tobacco, ferment, blend, roll or do any part of the process. Every part of every Gurkha cigar is contracted out.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I actually agree with what you said. No need in arguing. Except that they are going to the dark side any slower. They just don't sell near as many cigars.

My issue with Gurkha is that they aren't even close to the image they want to project as the Rolls-Royce of cigars. To begin with the don't grow tobacco, ferment, blend, roll or do any part of the process. Every part of every Gurkha cigar is contracted out.
    that doesnt make it a bad product. Every part of my house was contracted out when it was built, and again when i wanted to upgrade it. Just because i didnt make it with my own two hands doesnt mean that it isnt good.

part of the reason they do this is because they are looking for rare tobacco from around the world. If they were just growing it all the time then it wouldnt be rare. part of the draw to the gurkha line is the rarity of the tobacco. ... its part of the price too.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:

that doesnt make it a bad product. Every part of my house was contracted out when it was built, and again when i wanted to upgrade it. Just because i didnt make it with my own two hands doesnt mean that it isnt good.

part of the reason they do this is because they are looking for rare tobacco from around the world. If they were just growing it all the time then it wouldnt be rare. part of the draw to the gurkha line is the rarity of the tobacco. ... its part of the price too.
    Both valid points and I agree. Its the fact that they are taking the name Rolls-Royce which stands for its quality engineering. All the do is buy the best cigars that someone else makes. They're middle-men, which is fine but the fact that they try to portray themselves as something more is annoying. Before Rocky had his own factory or even now when works with another factory to produce a cigar in the cigars description he always says who helped blend it or where it was produced hes not hiding it. THe same goes for companies like Tatuaje, Padilla, and Cusano. But Gurkha always tries to pass cigars off as their own creations when they truth of the matter is they have little to nothing to do with the creation of any of their cigars.

Just one mans opinion. You know I love this argument kuz :)
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    It is funny...I don't think there is much of a war here...two very different products...seemingly different target markets....both seem to be doing well. I haven't heard of a Rocky Patel Bankruptcy suit yet...and well Gurkhas sell. New smokers, like myself, flock to them. It seems like the war comes down to what one's tastes are. I have had a few gurkhas in my day and while they have been pleasant, I have not been floored by them. I have yet to have a Rocky Patel (name bearing) cigar(may change tonight), though I had a Nording and it was about as pleasant as a Gurkha. My tastes, so far, tell me that neither are terrible, yet nor are they favorites.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I would have to say that I like both brands. I have not had that many Rocky Patels but I have had tons of Gurkhas. I would have to say the 1992 is my favorite or Rocky so far followed by the Decade. I don't think the Decade deserved the 95 it got but it is definately good. As for Gurkha, I've had good and bad. The Shaggy was by far my favorite. The Marqueza was way to strong for me and a waste. I have had good Centurions and a few OK Centurions. I had good Regents and some bad ones. The first few I ever had I didn't like. The last one I had I really liked. So, I think consistency should be better for a brand that sells $750 cigars. I guess in my opinion, the cheaper Gurkhas are better, at least in my case. Oh, and a while ago you could get the Centurions 5 for $30, like the Titans were $6 for $30 or was it the other way around? I stocked up on both since I couldn't beat the price.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    rwheelwright:
    I would have to say that I like both brands. I have not had that many Rocky Patels but I have had tons of Gurkhas. I would have to say the 1992 is my favorite or Rocky so far followed by the Decade. I don't think the Decade deserved the 95 it got but it is definately good. As for Gurkha, I've had good and bad. The Shaggy was by far my favorite. The Marqueza was way to strong for me and a waste. I have had good Centurions and a few OK Centurions. I had good Regents and some bad ones. The first few I ever had I didn't like. The last one I had I really liked. So, I think consistency should be better for a brand that sells $750 cigars. I guess in my opinion, the cheaper Gurkhas are better, at least in my case. Oh, and a while ago you could get the Centurions 5 for $30, like the Titans were $6 for $30 or was it the other way around? I stocked up on both since I couldn't beat the price.
    I think I just ended up rambling in that last post and said alot without really saying anything. Sorry.
  • Options
    Very true sir. RP's used to be my favorites but I'm more into anything made by Don Pepin right now. Those and CAOs.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    rwheelwright:
    I think I just ended up rambling in that last post and said alot without really saying anything. Sorry.
    Don't worry about it. I got what you meant.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I have to say I'm not particularly a partisan of either brand. I've had a couple of RPs I really like -- Vintage 1992 and Fusion Double Maduro -- and a couple of Gurkhas I really like -- Centurian and Fuerte. Other than those, no offering from either brand has really impressed me.

The brands I hold in great esteem are Arturo Fuente and, a distant second, Oliva.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    I have to say I'm not particularly a partisan of either brand. I've had a couple of RPs I really like -- Vintage 1992 and Fusion Double Maduro -- and a couple of Gurkhas I really like -- Centurian and Fuerte. Other than those, no offering from either brand has really impressed me.

The brands I hold in great esteem are Arturo Fuente and, a distant second, Oliva.
    With Mr. Urbino I agree, Fuentes products have always been my most favored over the years. My very first cigar was a Montesino, and my most favored Bauza, both products from the Fuentes. Opus X when I can get them, Don Carlos and Hemingways when I want something special, as well as Cuban Coronas, Chateaus, and of course Ashtons.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Is there that big a deal between these two cigars? RP'92 is near and dear to my heart but I have other smokes that I would pick over the '92 on a daily basis. I have several Ghurkas resting/againg because I have read they are better with some time on them yet I have not tried one. Maybe I will have them go head-to-head over the holidays when I have time to relax and smoke a few cigars.
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    Is there that big a deal between these two cigars?
    Nah. It's just something for maddy and kuz to argue about -- like an old married couple arguing about which restaurant they ate at on their 10th anniversary, 35 years ago.

Any number of makers are better than both RP and Gurkha. As maddy has admitted, RP isn't even his highest-rated maker any more.
  • Options
    Its more just an interesting debate. I'm really not talking down about the cigars themselves. Gurkha makes some damn good cigars. I just like stirring up this argument from time to time. I have a few RP's I love and a few Gurkha's that I really like and plenty of other cigars not made by either company that I like better than anything made by either of them.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Bad Andy:
    Nah. It's just something for maddy and kuz to argue about -- like an old married couple arguing about which restaurant they ate at on their 10th anniversary, 35 years ago.

Any number of makers are better than both RP and Gurkha. As maddy has admitted, RP isn't even his highest-rated maker any more.
    Well said.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Bad Andy:

Well said.
    Oh, I just wanted to be the crazy relative that likes to antagonize the issue. lol

No really, I understand. PR is nice but I will take my Oliva G first if I had to choose.
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    No really, I understand. PR is nice but I will take my Oliva G first if I had to choose.
    Public Relations is nice I guess but I'd rather have an Oliva G too.
  • Options
    It might be marginally interesting to make a list of the makers better than RP and Gurkha. Mine would look something like:

Fuente
    Oliva
    Padilla
    Gran Habano
    Camacho

There probably are others, but I haven't sampled a wide enough array of their offerings to say for sure. AVO, Padron, and Montecristo are in this category.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Bad Andy:
    Public Relations is nice I guess but I'd rather have an Oliva G too.
    Aaah. me too..
  • Options
    urbino:
    It might be marginally interesting to make a list of the makers better than RP and Gurkha. Mine would look something like:

Fuente
    Oliva
    Padilla
    Gran Habano
    Camacho

There probably are others, but I haven't sampled a wide enough array of their offerings to say for sure. AVO, Padron, and Montecristo are in this category.
    Padron also in my book.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Agreed with urby and Andy. The more I smoke Gurkha and RP, the less impressed I am with them both. They have some good cigars, don't get me wrong, but for all the hype they both get, I find myself wanting something more than what is delivered.

On the other hand, I've not been let down by the likes of Padron, Fuente, Padilla, Perdomo, Oliva, Gran Habano or La Aurora. So that's my two cents on the Gurkha vs. RP topic.
  • Options
    urbino:

Fuente
    Oliva
    Padilla
    Gran Habano
    Camacho

hmmm thats interesting.

better than gurkha and RP...

in quality? sales? image? taste?
    my list may be shorter.
    ...no particular order:
    Fuente
    Oliva
    (maybe) Davidoff (not too much experience with them)

I cant put Padilla, Gran Habano, or Camacho on that list (and i do love me some camacho.) Ive had too many issues with the first two and camacho (in my opinion) could benefit from one or so short run cigars that are out of their norm every other year.
    I know all of you are gunna be like "what about the triple maduro or the liberty or the.... "
    they are good cigars. they are a great company. But camacho very rarely steps out of their comfort zone. (im ok with that because thy still have quality) but this keeps them from getting some of the image that RP and gurkha get from their cigars. Camacho doesnt have that short run or "rare" feel to them.
  • Options
    urbino:

Fuente
    Oliva
    Padilla
    Gran Habano
    Camacho

Don Pepin Garcia, who also makes Tatuaje, Padilla, 601 and San Cristobal.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Agreed with urby and Andy. The more I smoke Gurkha and RP, the less impressed I am with them both. They have some good cigars, don't get me wrong, but for all the hype they both get, I find myself wanting something more than what is delivered.

On the other hand, I've not been let down by the likes of Padron, Fuente, Padilla, Perdomo, Oliva, Gran Habano or La Aurora. So that's my two cents on the Gurkha vs. RP topic.
    you are gunna be let down by just about every cigar maker at one time or another. sales would be very low if they only made cigars to keep one set of tastes happy. Ive even been let down by my beloved gurkha, fuente, and Oliva. the reason why i like Gurkha better than RP is because i am almost ALWAYS let down by a Rocky patel. If it isnt the flavor (most common because ive never been a Nicaraguan tobacco guy) then its the burn issues. the nording tastes great. but it was a bit annoying to keep lit.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:

you are gunna be let down by just about every cigar maker at one time or another. sales would be very low if they only made cigars to keep one set of tastes happy. Ive even been let down by my beloved gurkha, fuente, and Oliva. the reason why i like Gurkha better than RP is because i am almost ALWAYS let down by a Rocky patel. If it isnt the flavor (most common because ive never been a Nicaraguan tobacco guy) then its the burn issues. the nording tastes great. but it was a bit annoying to keep lit.
    I'll agree with the burn issues on many RP's but its one of those things where typically they aren't really an issue to most smokers. Just to OCD smokers like us.

I'm not sure I buy this Nicarguan tobacco deal tho. I need to do some research before I say anything else though.
  • Options
    i just feel that Rocky Patel is a big fan of Nicaraguan tobacco. He used it in many blends... and when he doesnt, he blends to taste like he does.

gurkha and camacho (probably my go to brands) both seem to like Honduran tobacco and use it in most blends.... or blend to taste like it.

I just cant get into nicaraguan tobacco. there is a strange taste to it in my opinion.
  • Options
    Hmm this might be something to explore kuz. As typically gurkha and camacho fall into my least favorites(there are exceptions to that rule). Typically both of those lack the spiciness that I love and are heavier on that rich creamy smoke. This might be worth exploring.