Home General Discussion
Options

Rocky Patel vs. Gurkha

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Hmm this might be something to explore kuz. As typically gurkha and camacho fall into my least favorites(there are exceptions to that rule). Typically both of those lack the spiciness that I love and are heavier on that rich creamy smoke. This might be worth exploring.
    I know... its what ive been sayin all along. honduran vs nicaraguan tobacco.

i dont look so crazy now do I?

... oh wait... yeah i do. but you understand what im sayin dont you?

I like honduran tobacco. You like nicaraguan. I like Camacho and Gurkha, you like Rocky Patel and Padron
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    Hmm this might be something to explore kuz. As typically gurkha and camacho fall into my least favorites(there are exceptions to that rule). Typically both of those lack the spiciness that I love and are heavier on that rich creamy smoke. This might be worth exploring.

I like honduran tobacco. You like nicaraguan. I like Camacho and Gurkha, you like Rocky Patel and Padron
    heh. We should do a blind tasting. WHo wants to referee this mess?
  • Options
    i have been running tests. ... kinda

its called my cigar catalog. Ive just noticed that on average i tend to score nicaraguan tobacco lower than honduran. after cataloging for well over 2 years i went back and started to look at what country the tobacco was from vs. the score i gave the cigar.

so in a way i have been testing.

however, i would be interested in doing a blind taste test (unbanded) and see what we get out of it.
    summer would be best though because i can smoke them closer together.
  • Options
    I knew you had done that.

I want to find out if my pallate finds the same things. We'll have to agree to the same rating sheet and scoring system. I also think we'll have to be smoking the same exact cigars and submit the rating to the person who referees this and allow him to post results.

I'm ok with waiting for warm weather or not.
  • Options
    ok so how about both of us find the ref and we each give him X dollars and that person goes out gets two of each cigar from whatever country and debands them. he keeps track of what they are and ships them to us. we smoke them and report back to that person alone where they then report the results.

i nominate Urbi...
  • Options
    I like urbi or duty. Duty's analytical and completely **** nature might be perfectly suited for the role. Duty would probably be able to tell us the species of animal dung used in the field the tobacco was grown in.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I like where this is going with you two. You're both are well-respected on here so the tasting would be interesting.
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    I like where this is going with you two. You're both are well-respected on here so the tasting would be interesting.
    Thanks! Something productive was bound to come from this argument eventually
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    it was that or start taking bets
  • Options
    its just gunna show what ive been saying, and what we already know. We have different taste.
    much of this has to do with growing region.

... i still wanna do this, but im just saying it all comes down to taste.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    very interesting.....(going to get popcorn) ...waiting for the show.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    as Kuzi said ... it all just comes down to personal preference
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    its just gunna show what ive been saying, and what we already know. We have different taste.
    much of this has to do with growing region.

... i still wanna do this, but im just saying it all comes down to taste.
    Oh there's no doubt we have different tastes as do most people on this board. THe question is if our tastes trully differ bc of growing region.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kuzi16:
    hmmm thats interesting.

better than gurkha and RP...

in quality? sales? image? taste?
    Overall quality throughout their line is what I had in mind.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kuzi16:
    ok so how about both of us find the ref and we each give him X dollars and that person goes out gets two of each cigar from whatever country and debands them. he keeps track of what they are and ships them to us. we smoke them and report back to that person alone where they then report the results.

i nominate Urbi...
    I'm willing. Maddy's right that doody is a much better record-keeper, but with just 4 cigars to keep track of, even I could keep track.
  • Options
    im about to go to work... so ... i guess we will work on the details for this as we go along. Im all about it. we will have to set a price for each and have the third party pick both honduran and nicaraguan cigars...as close to Puros as we can. (the problem is i can identify some honduran puros by how they look... this would defeat the project. iduno... when i get home i may have more time to think about this.
  • Options
    Alright I'm with that kuz. Just lemme know.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:

I tend to lean towards Honduran as well though I do like Padron's stuff. RP is good but not one of my favs.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    Agreed with urby and Andy. The more I smoke Gurkha and RP, the less impressed I am with them both. They have some good cigars, don't get me wrong, but for all the hype they both get, I find myself wanting something more than what is delivered.

On the other hand, I've not been let down by the likes of Padron, Fuente, Padilla, Perdomo, Oliva, Gran Habano or La Aurora. So that's my two cents on the Gurkha vs. RP topic.
    you are gunna be let down by just about every cigar maker at one time or another. sales would be very low if they only made cigars to keep one set of tastes happy. Ive even been let down by my beloved gurkha, fuente, and Oliva. the reason why i like Gurkha better than RP is because i am almost ALWAYS let down by a Rocky patel. If it isnt the flavor (most common because ive never been a Nicaraguan tobacco guy) then its the burn issues. the nording tastes great. but it was a bit annoying to keep lit.
    I get ya, believe me when I tell you that I understand the "different tastes" argument all too well, I pitch it to seemingly everyone I know. You present a good point though, and the only response I really have to that is that I'd rather see a company do one thing and do it really well than see a company do a lot of things but turn out some good products and some mediocre ones as well. With that said, between Gurkha and RP, I give the nod to Gurkha but only slightly, and it is a concession that still takes place 4-5 spots down on my favorite cigar makers list. Personal tastes play a big role, and neither one of them fully appeal to my tastes.
  • Options
    You have to hand it to gurkha though, their boxes and presentations are 2nd to none..
  • Options
    Their presentation is definetly 2nd to none and further annoys me.
  • Options
    lol, I think if they dropped the prices a little lower a lot more people would be on the bandwagon. Though that would mean they would have to take their perdy boxes down a note. A great example of this type of thing is the CAO vision...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    lol, I think if they dropped the prices a little lower a lot more people would be on the bandwagon. Though that would mean they would have to take their perdy boxes down a note. A great example of this type of thing is the CAO vision...
    If they cut their prices in half I might occasionally tag along behind the bandwagon.
  • Options
    It would be easier to try more of them that is for sure.
  • Options
    im still not sure about the time that this will take place

however, i feel that $30 is a good amount. thats 3 $10 sticks.... or a bit less with shipping included. we should try for Puros but if we cant get those then we should make sure that at least the wrapper and some of the filler is from that country ... and none of the cigar is from the other.

well work out more of the kinks as we go along.
  • Options
    Sounds good.

Maybe we should meet at a neutral site like Urbi's house or Vince's shop?

Do it CA style line up all the sticks and just smoke the first inch. I joke, I joke.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    madurofan:
    Sounds good.

Do it CA style line up all the sticks and just smoke the first inch. I joke, I joke.

I'll video the event....You can talk of all the flavors in that first inch...I'll bring 4 cameras and a full light set up for a 10 minute take.
  • Options
    bbc020:
    madurofan:
    Sounds good.

I'll video the event....You can talk of all the flavors in that first inch...I'll bring 4 cameras and a full light set up for a 10 minute take.
    And with the advertising we could turn this into an hour long show.
  • Options
    iduno... by the time that third cigar started the palate would be a wreck. we should just wait till it gets a bit warmer then have a week or so do smoke as we please. i think it will yield better results.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    iduno... by the time that third cigar started the palate would be a wreck. we should just wait till it gets a bit warmer then have a week or so do smoke as we please. i think it will yield better results.
    I agree. I was just poking more fun at CA. So when is kuzipalooza this year? You said warm weather time.