Home General Discussion
Options

Battle of the countries...

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
OK I have an idea. With all the different discussions about countries and what not I propose this. Its a variation of what Kuzi and I had previously discussed and just wanted further the discussion. I'm thinking lets talk to one of the Ccom boys and have them pick a good puro from each major tobacco countries(Nicargua, Honduras, DR).

I figure we should start this now so the sticks can meet resting requirements for spring time smoking.

As many people as want can join up for this but we need one person to handle the purchase, removal of bands and distribution. THis is going to be a blind tasting. THe exact rules will follow after everyone signs up but basically you will receive a few cigars with no bands but have some number or something to distinguish them for the "judge" the person who distributes. You will be asked to try to determine the country of origin and give a review as best you can. You will be expected to pay for your cigars unless someone wants to step up and buy them all for everyone, lol. I imagine Ccom will cut us a deal for this order so we'll just divide it up evenly.

I may even function as the "judge" on this. Not sure yet. I'm just trying to gauge interest right now.

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    That's cool... although I'd be somewhat incompetent, it would be a lot of fun. Count me in!
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    I'm on board for this. Maybe we should create a simple questionnaire & spreadsheet to handle responses.
  • Options
    did sombeody say "spreadsheet"?
  • Options
    cheyman:
    I'm on board for this. Maybe we should create a simple questionnaire & spreadsheet to handle responses.
    Yes we definetly should. I put duty in charge of that. :)

Actually duty you would be the perfect judge, you could still sample the cigars it just wouldn't be a blind test for you. We all trust you as far as buying for us AND your data analysis might be worthy of publishing. PM for you.
  • Options
    replied
  • Options
    re-respondification.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I'm definitely interested in something like this. Are we talking about 3 puros with relatively similar body and flavor?
  • Options
    Not sure yet Brandon, open to suggestions. Duty is going to have a lot of input with his analytical nature but I also want to lean heavily on Kuzi bc he's pretty knowledgable on this subject. Other than that everyone's opinions and suggestions will be considered. This is a whole board experiment, I want everyone to get something out of this.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'll play.
  • Options
    urbino:
    I'll play.
    Sweet, please let duty out to play too. We need his expertise.
  • Options
    sanesane Posts: 151
    This sounds fun, count me in.

Has anyone talked with CCom to see if they would be willing to distribute the unlabeled cigars?
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    i would be in for this, it would help build my palate
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    What the hell, I'm in on this one. I am the Puro Freak after all, so guess I should get in on the little Puro experiment. Honestly it sounds like a lot of fun!
  • Options
    sane:

Has anyone talked with CCom to see if they would be willing to distribute the unlabeled cigars?
    I'd rather one of us, duty ideally, get them banded and remove the bands so we can perform the experiment. I might talk to them about sponsoring this or something. Or maybe get duty or kuzi to. Maybe we could make it into their catalog :).
  • Options
    the dutyster is supposed to give me a call tomorrow evening, I'll try to hammer out so rules with him and get them all posted up. We'll go from there. Seems like we have some good interest and I'll make kuzi do this whether he want to or not.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    sane:

I'd rather one of us, duty ideally, get them banded and remove the bands so we can perform the experiment. I might talk to them about sponsoring this or something. Or maybe get duty or kuzi to. Maybe we could make it into their catalog :).
    Sponsorship? I will have reached my pinnacle if I can say that I'm a sponsored smoker :D
  • Options
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    sane:

Sponsorship? I will have reached my pinnacle if I can say that I'm a sponsored smoker :D
    I was half kidding but you never knwo it might pique their interest.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I'm in if guys with zero skillz get to play.
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    sane:

I was half kidding but you never knwo it might pique their interest.
    LOL... if we get sponsorship, I want a T-Shirt!
  • Options
    Luko:
    I'm in if guys with zero skillz get to play.
    No skills required. Well not entirely true you must at least be able to smoke a cigar.
  • Options
    cheyman:
    Or bowling shirts.
  • Options
    urbino:
    cheyman:
    Or bowling shirts.
    Dudeeeee ... we need bowling shirts, I'd rock one!
  • Options
    I can smoke a cigar and in class they taught us to button our own shirts, so I can even wear a bowling shirt.
  • Options
    Luko:
    I can smoke a cigar and in class they taught us to button our own shirts, so I can even wear a bowling shirt.
    But can you wipe your own @ss?
  • Options
    Have you met my alterego, Skidmark?
  • Options
    Is that a qualification? I guess skidmark is out.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    the dutyster is supposed to give me a call tomorrow evening, I'll try to hammer out so rules with him and get them all posted up. We'll go from there. Seems like we have some good interest and I'll make kuzi do this whether he want to or not.
    what ? you are gunna FORCE me to smoke cigars.

...cruel and inhumane.

im in.

no seriously. i was out of town for a few days so you guys just fill me in and ask things and ill see what i can do for you.

are we trying to identify several countries or just between two? or is it gunna be like a dominican puro, a honduran puro, a nicaraguan puro, etc...

and we try to identify?
  • Options
    I say we do at least Honduras, Nicaragua, and DR. What other countries are there puros for?

Somewhat related to this thread, recent experiences with habano-wrapped cigars has led me to order a broad sampling of habanos to compare.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I agree, Honduras, Nicaragua, and DR would be a great selection and there are a ton of choices for a good stick from each country.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    or is it gunna be like a dominican puro, a honduran puro, a nicaraguan puro, etc...

and we try to identify?
    Basically this is it. If we can find other puros from other countries then we'll hit those as well.

Basic idea so far is to have duty talk to the Ccom boys and get their recommendations on the best puros from each country and duty will place an order. We'll all pay him for our sticks and he'll be the only one who knows which are which. We're also going to come up with a questionairre kind of thing so that duty's analysis will be consistent. So not just identify but take some kind of flavor notes. THis will be more up to duty.

Everyone is welcome. If you have not successfully participated in a trade, game, etc on here and are not a noted good trader you will just be required to send money for your sticks BEFORE receiving any. Which may end up being the requirement for everyone anyways depending on whether duty can or will front the money.