Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone into carving?

RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
I am a carver and wanted to see if anyone else in the forum shares my interest . I'll post some of my work later this week.

Comments

• Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    i tried doing small wood carvings a few times but the last time i did (when i was 13-14) i was startled, the chisel slipped, and the gash in my finger never healed right and hurts me to this day... i wish i could get the nerve to try it again.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I carve a turkey every now and again.... :D
    Cant wait to see your pictures.
  • Options

He who watches over my humidors.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Always wanted to carve, but don't have an artistic bone in my body.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Nice carving!

I carve pumpkins, does that count? lol

• Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I've been carving a stone chess set for a while now.
  • Options
    camgfs:
    Nice carving!

I carve pumpkins, does that count? lol

Your A better carver than I'll ever be.
  • Options
    Goldy:
    I've been carving a stone chess set for a while now.

Cool. Post some pictures. I'm really interested in seeing your work.
  • Options

An old carving I made when I first got into the hobby.
  • Options
    How big are the wooden masks and how long does it take to carve one? What type of wood do you use?
  • Options
    camgfs:
    How big are the wooden masks and how long does it take to carve one? What type of wood do you use?

These are both about two feet tall, made of red cedar and took approximately twelve to fourteen hours each to complete.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    camgfs:

These are both about two feet tall, made of red cedar and took approximately twelve to fourteen hours each to complete.
    And are they stained or painted? Just curious about the process behind the mask, like what type of tools and what got you into doing them? Do you do other carvings?
  • Options
    camgfs:
    RBeckom:
    camgfs:

And are they stained or painted? Just curious about the process behind the mask, like what type of tools and what got you into doing them? Do you do other carvings?

I'm just getting into carving seriously. The knives I use are made by Flex-Cut and are Hand powered, no mallets. As for the color scheme, first I painted the second carving with A flat black latex paint then sanded off the high spots. The color of the natural cedar gives A good contrast to the Amber Shellac that is used as A top coat. The other carving was much simpler to finish. A dark stain was applied then lightly sanded and topped off with Amber Shellac. I've always enjoyed carving simple designs such as walking sticks and figurines. In the near future I plan to start A five foot Tiki out of A large Black Walnut log I happened to have ran across.
  • Options

My version of the shape-shifting shark. Dead as promised.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you done any cigar ashtrays? I saw one a guy on the boat made it was single stick travel astray that was really sharp looking.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I might have to get you to make me a cane!
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Have you done any cigar ashtrays? I saw one a guy on the boat made it was single stick travel astray that was really sharp looking.

Any pictures? Might be an interesting project.
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    I might have to get you to make me a cane!

Wizards and wood-spirits are my favorite patterns. I might carve one and design A contest of sorts for it.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    Rhamlin:

Didn't think of taking a picture but it was a rectangular piece of hard wood with a bowl on one end and a long groove for resting the cigar running from the bowl to the other end.
    about 5"x3"x1.5" and finely polished.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    RBeckom:
    Rhamlin:

Didn't think of taking a picture but it was a rectangular piece of hard wood with a bowl on one end and a long groove for resting the cigar running from the bowl to the other end.
    Sounds complex and unlike anything I've ever seen before!
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    RBeckom:
    Rhamlin:

]

I'll try to carve one tomorrow, if it turns out right I'll trade it for A couple of Black Pearls. Any will do. And thanks for the idea this might be A fun project.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    you know, i have been thinking of getting into carving for a while, is it expensive to start out?
  • Options
    slickric:
    you know, i have been thinking of getting into carving for a while, is it expensive to start out?

Not really. It depends on the quality of the tools you choose. I prefer to only buy my tools once so I spent A good deal of money on the one's I bought. They're several companies that sell good tools at A fair price. Once you have your knives everything else can be constructed at home with very little expense. The most important item to me is A solid work space. Wood shifting and A sharp knife just don't seem to go well together. Dremel tools are another way to go. They make A large selection of carving accessories. Start small and see how the hobby grows. Search "carving knives " or something similar and you should have all the resource's you need at your disposal.
  • Options
    Can't wait to see how it comes out, who know you may wind up supplying us all with some great handmade ashtrays.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Can't wait to see how it comes out, who know you may wind up supplying us all with some great handmade ashtrays.
    this is one of the reasons i think i would like it and have been toying with the idea of making my own ashtray
    RBeckom:
    slickric:

Not really. It depends on the quality of the tools you choose. I prefer to only buy my tools once so I spent A good deal of money on the one's I bought. They're several companies that sell good tools at A fair price. Once you have your knives everything else can be constructed at home with very little expense. The most important item to me is A solid work space. Wood shifting and A sharp knife just don't seem to go well together. Dremel tools are another way to go. They make A large selection of carving accessories. Start small and see how the hobby grows. Search "carving knives " or something similar and you should have all the resource's you need at your disposal.
    thanks for the info man, definately looking into it
  • Options
    When I get A chance I'll post some pictures of my tools and work spaces.
  • Options
    Some of my carving tools including A simple laptop table I built.

• Options
    RBeckom:

My version of the shape-shifting shark. Dead as promised.
    this is hilariouse by the way, have been reading about this elusive shark. glad you got it. and nice wood working. if someone was to make an ashtray, how would they finish the wood. laquer?
  • Options
    I'm still researching finishes that would be suitable for ashtrays. My main concern is scorching. I'll post more on this topic as I learn it.
  • Options
    Nice looking set of tools Rodney.