Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone into carving?

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This first one looks like the one I saw only without the metal inlays. And a couple other ideas.imageimageimage
    I don't think scorching would be a real big concern considering how fast cigars go out, I read that Oak and Bass wood are best to use.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    This first one looks like the one I saw only without the metal inlays. And a couple other ideas.imageimageimage
    I don't think scorching would be a real big concern considering how fast cigars go out, I read that Oak and Bass wood are best to use.

Thanks. These photos gives me the ideas I needed.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    i wonder if regular red cedar would be any good for an ashtray?
  • Options
    taythegibs:
    i wonder if regular red cedar would be any good for an ashtray?

My first few will be made of red cedar because of the ease of carving. I'll be using A clear coat that is waterborne to seal the wood. Hope it turns out right.
  • Options
    I've been A little under the weather for A few days . I hope to get the first ashtray finished by Friday at the latest. I'll post pictures as soon as it's finished.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    RBeckom:
    I've been A little under the weather for A few days . I hope to get the first ashtray finished by Friday at the latest. I'll post pictures as soon as it's finished.
    looking forward to it
  • Options
    Hope you feel better brother. Be looking forward to those pics.
  • Options
    slickric:
    RBeckom:
    looking forward to it
    i'm sorry man, i totally missed the part about you feeling bad. i hope you get better bud, i am a little girl when i get sick
  • Options
    Rhamlin:

You will be receiving the first one I make for showing so much interest in this subject. I am feeling A little better. I might get to work on one tomorrow with A little luck.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    DSWarmack:
    I might have to get you to make me a cane!

Wizards and wood-spirits are my favorite patterns. I might carve one and design A contest of sorts for it.

That's right up my alley, bro. I'm in need of a good pimp-stick because of my gimpy leg. If you do a contest, I'm definitely in on it!
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    Rhamlin:

You will be receiving the first one I make for showing so much interest in this subject. I am feeling A little better. I might get to work on one tomorrow with A little luck.
    Your too generous Rodney glad your feeling better brother.
  • Options
    Toombes:
    RBeckom:
    DSWarmack:

Wizards and wood-spirits are my favorite patterns. I might carve one and design A contest of sorts for it.

That's right up my alley, bro. I'm in need of a good pimp-stick because of my gimpy leg. If you do a contest, I'm definitely in on it!

I'll definitely keep you in mind for A walking stick.
  • Options
    here is my last attempt at "carving" from two years ago. It is a massive "ornamental" pipe (tried to use it but it sucked, the draw is WAY too lite as i made the hole through the stem huge......) its a poplar bowl with a red cedar stem, i rubbed in peppermint oil and packed the bowl with a mixture of fresh peppermint and spearmint leaves after i made it to try and get the wood to soak up the oils, my plan was to use with mild tobacco and try to get the minty flavor mixed in.

• Options
    RBeckom:
    Toombes:
    RBeckom:
    DSWarmack:

I'll definitely keep you in mind for A walking stick.

Much appreciated, brother.
  • Options
    taythegibs:
    here is my last attempt at "carving" from two years ago. It is a massive "ornamental" pipe (tried to use it but it sucked, the draw is WAY too lite as i made the hole through the stem huge......) its a poplar bowl with a red cedar stem, i rubbed in peppermint oil and packed the bowl with a mixture of fresh peppermint and spearmint leaves after i made it to try and get the wood to soak up the oils, my plan was to use with mild tobacco and try to get the minty flavor mixed in.

Ever try to make A pipe out of antlers? They tend to be easier to carbonize the bowls. I've had good success in the past with them.
  • Options
    looking forward to pics of the ash tray beckom. and that pipe is awsome, i love the cedar
  • Options
    No. I have only done this one and a smaller one with a bamboo stem, but the stem got broken in transport. I used to have access to a nice shop at a job I had but since I don't have access to it anymore I really don't do too much with woodworking.
  • Options
    I've been A little remiss on my carving lately. Hopefully I'll get the first ashtray out by the end of the week. I haven't forgotten about the Wizard cane either, with A little luck I'll get on it next week. I am still trying to figure out A contest of sorts for it. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    guess how many hours it took to carve
  • Options
    slickric:

Sounds good to me. If I can remember to time it.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    Rhamlin:

Package ready to be mailed tomorrow. Please PM your address good sir.
  • Options
    PM sent brother. Am really excited to check it out. Thanks Rodney.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    PM sent brother. Am really excited to check it out. Thanks Rodney.

Your welcome.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    slickric:

Can I get in an early guess? I'm willing to pay for the cane, but a contest would be sweet as well.
  • Options
    Toombes:
    RBeckom:
    slickric:

Can I get in an early guess? I'm willing to pay for the cane, but a contest would be sweet as well.

I would rather you wait till I'm ready to begin the project because we have issues with family health right now and I honestly don't know when I can find the time to start it.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    Toombes:
    RBeckom:
    slickric:

I would rather you wait till I'm ready to begin the project because we have issues with family health right now and I honestly don't know when I can find the time to start it.

Hope everything works out for the family. I was just joking about the early guess, I can wait until you're ready my man.
  • Options
    Toombes:
    RBeckom:
    Toombes:
    RBeckom:
    slickric:

Hope everything works out for the family. I was just joking about the early guess, I can wait until you're ready my man.

Thanks for your concern. I hope to get started on the cane soon.
  • Options
    RBeckom:
    Toombes:
    RBeckom:
    Toombes:
    RBeckom:
    slickric:

Thanks for your concern. I hope to get started on the cane soon.

Most welcome. Get everything straightened out, brother. Take care of your family first. The contest can wait, I'm not going anywhere.
  • Options
    My first stick at home resting in the ashtray Rodney made me.Thanks brother hopefully I'll get the chance to send you a little thank you package before I head back out.image
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    My first stick at home resting in the ashtray Rodney made me.Thanks brother hopefully I'll get the chance to send you a little thank you package before I head back out.image

Totally bad-***! Love the ashtray and love the AKA Hybrid. Looking good, my man!