Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

The Great Habano Tasting Party

urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
I've been noticing of late that I seem to really like cigars labeled as having habano wrappers. Exactly what a "habano" wrapper is seems to be a bit of mystery; my googling turned up vague and contradictory info, and the word is not defined in Tobacconist University's glossary.

Whatever it is, I like it.

So, I've decided to do a big habano taste test. Hopefully, some of you guys will join in and we can compare notes. Via ccom's build-your-own sampler (plus a couple extras), I'll be tasting the following habanos (in no particular order):

Montecristo Platinum robusto
Perdomo Reserve Habano toro
Perdomo Lot 23 churchill
Romeo y Julieta Habano Reserve belicoso
Cusano Corojo Vintage 1997 robusto
Gran Habano 3 Siglos gran robusto
Gran Habano #5 gran robusto
Padilla Miami torpedo
Padilla Series 1932 toro
Padilla Series 1948 toro
Don Pepin Garcia Generosos toro
Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ belicoso
Don Pepin Garcia Vegas Cubanas Generosos toro
601 Red robusto
5 Vegas Miami torpedo
Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet robusto
Padron 1964 corona

Who wants to play along?

Comments

• Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Sure urbi Ill play... so when do you think you can get those sticks out to me?
  • Options
    Heh. Sorry, brink. This one's BYOC.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im almost 100% that the "habano wrapper" means that it is a cuban seed raised, dried, cured, and fermented in the classic cuban style.
    and
    not to get your hopes dashed...
    i think its more or less just a marketing term to get suckers like me to buy cigars that sound like they will be Cubanesque

on that note...
    did you call cigar.com up and ask them? i mean, those guys are smart
  • Options
    i still think thats a great list.

worst case?
    you have a bunch of cigars that you like on hand.
    darn, i hate it when THAT happens.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Heh. Sorry, brink. This one's BYOC.
    lol, where's the love..... anything habano aye.. well I'll see what I have that are "habano" and add it to the list. I am going to get some of those monte whites though, it's been a few years since I had one, I think I'm going to get a couple. Though what exactly are you looking for urbs? Taste? Flavors? give me something man!!!!!! =)
  • Options
    It's just an exploration, Feebs. What's out there that's "habano," and what do they taste like? Is there any family resemblance?

Kuzi -- I read 3 or 4 different explanations of the term. One said it's a specific strain of tobacco derived from criollo (Tobacco University sort of hits at this, too). One said it's a fermentation process somewhat similar to maduro, but less strenuous. One said it's just a color somewhat lighter than maduro. And one said it's any tobacco derived from what were originally Cuban seeds.

Any of them except the first one would explain why there are so many cigars that are described as "habano" but then say they have some other wrapper -- e.g., corojo.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    urbino:
    It's just an exploration, Feebs. What's out there that's "habano," and what do they taste like? Is there any family resemblance?

Kuzi -- I read 3 or 4 different explanations of the term. One said it's a specific strain of tobacco derived from criollo (Tobacco University sort of hits at this, too). One said it's a fermentation process somewhat similar to maduro, but less strenuous. One said it's just a color somewhat lighter than maduro. And one said it's any tobacco derived from what were originally Cuban seeds.

Any of them except the first one would explain why there are so many cigars that are described as "habano" but then say they have some other wrapper -- e.g., corojo.
    What I have read in the past is that they were orignally from cuban seed and that criollo was derived from Habano not the other way around. I wonder who can answer that question correctly.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:

What I have read in the past is that they were orignally from cuban seed and that criollo was derived from Habano not the other way around. I wonder who can answer that question correctly.
    it is a mystery that will only be revealed by God himself when one dies.... =)
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I'm pretty sure that Habano is a generic term that implies a Cuban seed. The info Urby found on the various strains is relevant, but is misapplied throughout the industry. Criollo and Corojo are more specific terms in that regard, and seem to be applied far less liberally.
  • Options
    Here's a tobacco taxonomy from Tobacconist U.:

• Options
    Oh, and while I'm on the subject of things I learned from that site: the bales that tobacco leaves are gathered into to ferment? They're not called bales. They're called . . . wait for it . . . burros.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Duty and I discussed this a bit in our long @ss phone call the other night. A REAL Habano is a cigar that has a Habano 2000 wrapper on it. However, the industry calls anything that is cuban seed a Habano. While I love the spirit of your experiment and will probably participate to some degree I think its not as specific as you may believe. You are really talking about a ton of different types of tobacco under the name of Habano. I'd say Habano is almost like saying Maduro.
  • Options
    If you go back and look at my first post, I've never believed it was all that specific. It's obvious from the way it's used by various makers that the word is used to mean several things. One of the purposes of this experiment is to empirically determine if all the different "habano" cigars have anything at all in common -- any family resemblance.

It seems to me "habano" is even less specific than "maduro." The latter at least refers to a specific fermentation process, and almost always to a Connecticut broadleaf.

BTW, has anybody seen "Habano 2000" identified as the wrapper on a cigar? I don't think I ever have.
  • Options
    I smell whats on in ur kitchen now.

Come to think of it I do not believe I've ever seen a cigar specifically labeled as a Habano 2000. It may no longer exist...
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Lots of interesting stuff if you google it.....one cigar that I've seen lately the Carlos Torano Exudos 1959 ....anyone had that ...I'm sure I remember seeing that at a local b&m
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Lots of interesting stuff if you google it.....one cigar that I've seen lately the Carlos Torano Exudos 1959 ....anyone had that ...I'm sure I remember seeing that at a local b&m
    Thanks to agctribefan. there is one resting in my humi.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had the Exodus 1959...I remember it being good, but not making a huge impression. I've pulled one out and placed it on the top shelf in my humi, so I might get to it this week to see how some good rest, ~6-8 months, has done it.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I think this could be a fun venture just for sh-its and grins and comparisons of tastes and what not. Not meaning to speak for 'Bino but I think thats all he's after ....nothing scientific...
  • Options
    i dont know if any of you remember from my blending thread this tidbit:
    The Criollo strain can be documented all the way back to Columbus’s visits to the Caribbean. It is the classic Cuban tobacco...The Corojo tobacco plant is a derivation of the Criollo. It was created in Cuba through natural selection to resist mold.

so.... what one is "habano" to me it would seem that the Criollo is.

again like i said, "habano" is a cuban seed wrapper, processed, fermented, and aged in the classic cuban tradition.

where "maduro" is not the classic cuban tradition.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:

Come to think of it I do not believe I've ever seen a cigar specifically labeled as a Habano 2000. It may no longer exist...
    I believe the Gurkha Regent uses a Habano 2000 wrapper. And it is delicious.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    again like i said, "habano" is a cuban seed wrapper, processed, fermented, and aged in the classic cuban tradition.
    You would think this to be true but I doubt it. Most likely it is just true that it is cuban seed and even then thats not ALWAYS true not all habanos are first generation cuban seeds.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    madurofan:

see if you can confirm that ... I would give it another shot if you could.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    The Regent has a Havana 2000 wrapper.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:

it is a mystery that will only be revealed by God himself when one dies.... =)
    Or the Continuum Transfunctioner, A device whose mystery is only exceeded by its power.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    You would think this to be true but I doubt it. Most likely it is just true that it is cuban seed and even then thats not ALWAYS true not all habanos are first generation cuban seeds.
    thats why i previously said:
    kuzi16:
    i think its more or less just a marketing term to get suckers like me to buy cigars that sound like they will be Cubanesque
  • Options
    madurofan:
    alienmisprint:
    madurofan:

see if you can confirm that ... I would give it another shot if you could.
    I think I'll give this one a light tonight. I'm intrigued.
  • Options
    Interesting. I didn't care for the Regent. I've got a fiver of Torano 1959s on the way, now. The "habano" that really knocked my socks off was the La Cuna 85. I can't seem to find out anything more precise about its wrapper. Stoopid googles.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That La Cuna is a dang tasty treat. I'm ever so glad you sent one my way. I'm not sure there is anything more specific about the wrapper, it is a Nicaraguan habano, probably whatever the current and most widely used strain is...I doubt they'd bother to list that info as most people don't really care.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Would you guys quit that - all four humis are full... I know you guys would help me there but...
  • Options
    Heh. That's just how we roll, around here.
    j0z3r:
    That La Cuna is a dang tasty treat. I'm ever so glad you sent one my way. I'm not sure there is anything more specific about the wrapper, it is a Nicaraguan habano, probably whatever the current and most widely used strain is...I doubt they'd bother to list that info as most people don't really care.
    Yeah, but "habano" in what sense? Is it a Habano 2000 wrapper? A Criollo wrapper that came from Cuban seeds somewhere in its ancestry? Some other leaf that went through a "habano" fermentation process? What is it? 'Cause I'd like to find more of it.