Options

The Great Habano Tasting Party

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    That's what I thought it was.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I saw it listed as Habano (Connecticut) in a review, but now I can't find it. I'll hold off on including it until I can verify it.

I am starting my Habano streak tonight, starting with a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. I am planning on smoking one of the Habanos in my list each evening, so they will all be under the same conditions for the most part, each night from now until I fly out on leave.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    The cigar.com product page shows its wrapper as Habano. Of course, it's a Connecticut. About the darkest Connecticut you'll ever see that isn't called a Maduro.
  • Options
    Maybe that suggests that, in this case, "habano" refers to the fermentation process?
  • Options
    Again with the listing of a wrapper as Habano and something else.

I just finished the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. Let me start by saying I'm not really into "peppery" cigars, a 5 Vegas Classic is about as peppery as I like.

This stick has been in my humidor for about a month, and the burn and draw were flawless (even after I dropped it-butterfingers). That being said, this smoke was very different from the the other Habanos I have had before. Immediately after initial light up, there was a very strong pepper taste, way too strong for my liking. I suffered through the first inch or so with this overpowering pepper taste. After that, it started calming down a little, and a more woody flavor emerged, but was still dominated by the pepper. It didn't get to the point where I would consider it enjoyable until about 2/3 through. Even then, the pepper taste was there, but it was managable and the more woody taste had overtaken the pepper. I definately won't smoke another one of these, not that it is a bad cigar, just that it has a profile that doesn't really suite my taste.
  • Options
    Nice review. I think I've smoked one of those, but I'm not sure. Definitely will as part of this little experiment.

Which size did you smoke?
  • Options
    Not sure what it's called, but it was roughly a toro, about 6" by low 50's ring gauge.
  • Options
    Just finished the second stick in my line-up, a Padilla Habano Torpedo. Here's what I thought:

On the first puff after light-up, I was scared I had another Sol Cubano on my hands. It hit me with a really strong pepper taste, but that subsided at the second or third draw. The peppery taste went down to an enjoyable level, just enough to give you a little kick as if to say, "Hey! You're smoking a REAL cigar here buddy, pay attention!" There was no really dominant flavor on top of the pepper, but instead a bunch of different tastes kept coming to the front with that consistent pepper taste underneath. It seemed like every other draw there was a different taste there, in a kind of rotation. I can't really tell you what any of them were, except one, but they were all good. The one I can pinpoint (and if any of you have ever lived/worked on a farm or had a garden, you should get this) reminded me of the way dark, rich soil smells when it is just a little damp. Very, very pleasant taste.

A little over a third of the way in, a new more mellow taste emerged and took control. It reminded me of young reeds. If you find some young, green reeds, around a pond or wherever, and pull out the top shoot and chew on it, this is the taste I'm talking about. The peppery taste didn't dissapear, but it wasn't a steady flavor. Instead, it kind of popped up every once in a while. This was my favorite part of the cigar, about 2-3 minutes into this part is where I realized I love this cigar!

The last two inches changed yet again, to something more similar to the first 1/3. The flavors were constantly changing, but the soil taste and pepper taste were still there, a bit more sporadically now. Definately a finger burner, but it stayed cool all the way until I was pulling smoke pretty much straight off the ember.

Overall, this is an excellent cigar to smoke by yourself, when all you are doing is paying attention to the smoke itself. I wouldn't make these a daily stick, but I will definately get some to keep in my humidor and a couple to put in the aging humi.
  • Options
    Wow. Sounds like a winner, Alien. Glad to hear it, too, 'cause I had (have) high hopes for that cigar.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    the centurian is a conni wrapper with honduran tobacco. which explains why I like it..
    ditto.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Maybe that suggests that, in this case, "habano" refers to the fermentation process?
    i agree.

im sure there is no "industry standard" for this but there are many factors that can be laid claim to being "habano" in production, pedigree, style. I still think its more hype than anything....

albeit very tasty hype.
  • Options
    Just finished the Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto. It started off with a nice spice, slightly pepper mixed in with a little hay. Then a little less than a third of the way in, it started developing into a much more creamy smoke, with a very faint sweetness on the finish. It didn't change much after that, but it didn't really need to. The creaminess kept getting more creamy (for lack of a better term) all the way to the nub. Excellent smoke, but I do prefer the Padilla Habano.
  • Options
    Okay, just got done with an Alec Bradley Harvest Selection 1997 Robusto. I am already a fan of these, and this one was no exception. It started off with a peppery burst (like I am noticing most Habanos do) which fades away into a more toasty, oaky kind of flavor. A little ways in, the oak and toasted flavors subside and let a more creamy taste come through. Towards the end of the stick, a very distinct black pepper taste comes to the front, but the creaminess and toastiness are still there. Smoked it down to the nub, like I said before, I am fan of these.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    i agree.

im sure there is no "industry standard" for this but there are many factors that can be laid claim to being "habano" in production, pedigree, style. I still think its more hype than anything....

albeit very tasty hype.
    Probably, makes sense. There doesn't seem to be much of a standard in this biz though.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Okay, just got done with an Alec Bradley Harvest Selection 1997 Robusto. I am already a fan of these, and this one was no exception. It started off with a peppery burst (like I am noticing most Habanos do) which fades away into a more toasty, oaky kind of flavor. A little ways in, the oak and toasted flavors subside and let a more creamy taste come through. Towards the end of the stick, a very distinct black pepper taste comes to the front, but the creaminess and toastiness are still there. Smoked it down to the nub, like I said before, I am fan of these.
    good reviews there. I've only had one cigar from alec bradley and it was a tempas. I loved it.
  • Options
    Keep 'em comin', alien. I'll join you in a few weeks. I've never had an Alec Bradley; guess I'll have to give them a try. Somebody else around here is a big fan of them -- Ron, maybe?
  • Options
    urbino:
    Keep 'em comin', alien. I'll join you in a few weeks. I've never had an Alec Bradley; guess I'll have to give them a try. Somebody else around here is a big fan of them -- Ron, maybe?
    I can send you one with the avo's...
  • Options
    Just finished the Nub Habano Torpedo. This one started off with a peppery blast, much like the other Habanos. However, once the pepper had subsided a little, nothing really came in to take its place. It was just a kind of bland tobacco taste with some pepper undertones. Pretty uneventful, not bad, but definately not good either. I put this one just above the Sol Cubano as far as my tastes go.
  • Options
    Okay, just finished one of my favorites, a Gurkha Regent Topedo (thanks again Urbino!). It started with the spicy blast I have come to expect from a Habano wrapper. The pepper fades away into a more leathery taste, with some hints of coffee every now and then. This taste stays pretty constant throughout the rest of the smoke, with a little woodiness popping up every now and then. At about 2/3 of the way in, it gets just a little more creamy and a subtle hay taste comes in, but the leathery flavor is still dominate. It is listed as medium body, but it hits me more on the full side of medium. Excellent cigar, still one of my favorites.
  • Options
    That leathery taste sounds familiar. I get that from my beloved La Cuna 85's, which are habanos. I should've dropped a couple of those in one of our trades, Alien. I just flat didn't think of it.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Okay, just finished one of my favorites, a Gurkha Regent Topedo (thanks again Urbino!). It started with the spicy blast I have come to expect from a Habano wrapper. The pepper fades away into a more leathery taste, with some hints of coffee every now and then. This taste stays pretty constant throughout the rest of the smoke, with a little woodiness popping up every now and then. At about 2/3 of the way in, it gets just a little more creamy and a subtle hay taste comes in, but the leathery flavor is still dominate. It is listed as medium body, but it hits me more on the full side of medium. Excellent cigar, still one of my favorites.
    i get much of what you get as far as flavor goes but i would put it more on the mild-medium side. do you usually prefer full/very full or do you tend to the mild/medium cigars in general?
  • Options
    I honestly don't have a preference. But I have had several cigars listed as full but that didn't really feel like full bodied smokes to me. Trinidad, Camacho Corojo and SLR, and La Vieja Habana the Early Years are all listed as full bodied, but I feel like the Regent is a stronger cigar than any of those. Maybe it is just the way it hits me for some wierd reason, but it does.
  • Options
    Just finished the Bolivar Lonsdale. This was the first one of the Habanos I have had in this tasting that didn't start off with a spicy blast. On this stick, the opening was more on the sweet side and the pepper came in slowly and then kind of dissapated. It was replaced with a leathery taste that remained the dominant taste throughout the rest of the cigar. There were flavors popping up here and there, most noticably a sweetness and a light peppery taste. I also caught a fresh hay flavor a couple of times, but like I said before, the leather taste was dominant throughout. This was probably the most mellow of the Habanos I have smoked so far, overall a very nice, relaxing stick.
  • Options
    Just finished a La Vieja Habana Corojo Robusto. This is the least expensive stick in my Habano list, but still a very good cigar. It has some undertones of pepper and cedar throughout, but the dominant taste is that Corojo flavor I love. I don't know what to describe it as, but if you have had a Camacho Corojo, it is very similar to the dominant flavor of that stick. The LVH doesn't change or develop really at all, just keeps the same, pleasant profile throughout. Although not a very complex stick, still very enjoyable.
  • Options
    Just got done with a Gurkha Sherpa Toro. Started off peppery, a little too peppery for my taste. Somewhat similar to the Sol Cubano, but not quite as strong. It took a little longer than the other Habanos to fade, but it did fade down and developed a more leathery character. The leather stayed through to the end, with the pepper giving it a slightly spicy undertone. I really wasn't too impressed with this stick, I'd put it at the same level as the Nub.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Hey alien, Here it is ! Nice review, This is the reason I buy cigars. After a promising review like this one, this sounds like it can become one of my must have cigars.
  • Options
    Very cool, glad you dig it. I think you will dig the cigar too, and at the price of them you can't go wrong.
  • Options
    Just finished a Habano that wasn't on my original list, courtesy of zoom6zoom. It was a CI Anniversary Epicure. This one was very different from the other Habanos, it had a sweet taste to it. I can't really put my finger on it, and the only thing I can think of to compare it to is the La Aurora Barrel Aged. It was by no means the same, but had a similar sweetness to it. It did have some pepper undertones, but they were very faint and easy to miss. It really didn't evolve too much, but instead the dominant taste (kind of a fresh hay taste, but not really) just grew smoother and a tad sweeter as the cigar burned. Overall an excellent stick, I would definately pick up a few if they had a deal on 'em.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had one of those myself today alien. I thought it was pretty good, though not one I would keep on hand because the flavor profile wasn't completely to my liking, still a good cigar though, flawless burn and perfect draw, just seemed to be missing a little something for me.
  • Options
    great reviews alien. The sherpa is one that I've been wondering about for some time. I have 2 of them but usually always grab something else. at least I have something to compare it too.