Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

The Great Habano Tasting Party

124»

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    great reviews alien. The sherpa is one that I've been wondering about for some time. I have 2 of them but usually always grab something else. at least I have something to compare it too.
    I like the sherpa, but I know that it is not on joz3rs must have list. As I read here before, like it or don't not many in the middle. I think it has to do with the flavor profile which I have found seems to differ from one batch to the next. And how the flavor seems to change with the aging of the cigars, I like them most fresh, seems odd but that's my take/ taste on them.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'd never say your taste, or anyone's for that matter, in a cigar is odd, you like what you like and that's it. There were bound to be at least a couple of cigars you and I didn't agree on, I'd think it would be downright strange if we both liked exactly the same things...I'd start to question if we really were related. :)
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I had one of those myself today alien. I thought it was pretty good, though not one I would keep on hand because the flavor profile wasn't completely to my liking, still a good cigar though, flawless burn and perfect draw, just seemed to be missing a little something for me.
    Yeah, it wasn't very complex, but the flavor that was there was good. I think it would be a great cigar to puff on with a bunch of buddies sitting around bullsh!tting/drinking; a scenario where you really aren't paying attention to the cigar too much. I won't be buying a box, but if I see a good deal on 'em, I'd probably pick up a few.
  • Options
    Just got done with the Carlos Torano Exodus Gold. Man, this is a tasty smoke. It starts off with just a little pepper, hardly even noticeable. It fades into a smoother, more leathery taste. Not as leathery as the Regent, more on the creamy side. There are constant cocoa undertones, which come more to front the further down the stick you go. Unlike the rest of the Habanos, the pepper never really comes back, instead it remains very creamy and smooth, but with a robust character to it.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Another review I'm glad to see, since I picked up a fiver of these after various folks here praised them and/or let it be known they're H2000 wrappers.
  • Options
    Just finished the 601 Green Oscuro Toro. This one was similar to the Sol Cubano in that the first inch and a half had a pretty intense pepper taste. Again, this one was too peppery for me, even after the pepper mellowed some. The strong pepper taste was definately dominant throughout the first inch and a half, but there were some damp soil tastes popping up underneath it every now and then that were nice.

About halfway in, the pepper subsided and let the leather and wood flavors come to the front. At this point, it was a very enjoyable cigar, so much so that if I could have someone else smoke the first half of this cigar for me, I would definately buy more, lol. Once the leather and wood took over, it also got much smoother, and slightly creamy. After this point, it was great down to the nub, I just do not enjoy the overly spicy beginning of this stick. And just like the Sol Cubano, the burn, draw, and complexity of this cigar were excellent, just not suited to my palate. I would definately reccomend this to anyone who likes the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, and visa versa.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Just finished the 601 Green Oscuro Toro. This one was similar to the Sol Cubano in that the first inch and a half had a pretty intense pepper taste. Again, this one was too peppery for me, even after the pepper mellowed some. The strong pepper taste was definately dominant throughout the first inch and a half, but there were some damp soil tastes popping up underneath it every now and then that were nice.

About halfway in, the pepper subsided and let the leather and wood flavors come to the front. At this point, it was a very enjoyable cigar, so much so that if I could have someone else smoke the first half of this cigar for me, I would definately buy more, lol. Once the leather and wood took over, it also got much smoother, and slightly creamy. After this point, it was great down to the nub, I just do not enjoy the overly spicy beginning of this stick. And just like the Sol Cubano, the burn, draw, and complexity of this cigar were excellent, just not suited to my palate. I would definately reccomend this to anyone who likes the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, and visa versa.
    I can picture it now...Alien gets filthy rich and posts on Craigslist to hire someone to smoke the first half of his 601s...
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Nice reviews, btw Alien...
  • Options
    You might try the other sizes in that one, alien, since you like it so well. Maybe one of them doesn't start out as peppery, or at least smooths out sooner.
  • Options
    Just wanted to resurrect this thread. I haven't started my habano taste-off, yet. Still letting them rest. Are you habano-ed out, alien?
  • Options
    Not necessarily habanoed out, but after I went through that list, I really haven't been picking out Habanos to smoke and review. When are you starting yours up?
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Just did a review of the Padilla Habano Burberry Perfecto in my "More Reviews" thread. Just thought it'd be appropriate to at least reference it in this thread, since it's dedicated to Habanos. Bottom line is I'd highly recommend the Padilla Burberry, not only based on flavor profile, which was very nice, but also on appearance and conversation purposes. Very pretty cigar, but very flavorful - not all gimmic.
  • Options
    I'll probably start when the weather evens out, alien. Right now, it's pleasant one night, typhooning the next, and freezing the one after that.

I saw that review, Rob. Good to hear. I've got one of Padilla's regular Habanos in my collection for this thread.
  • Options
    I hear ya. It has been pretty rough here too. Like, one night it's 78 degrees, then the very next night, BAM!! drops to 76. Crazy I tell ya, crazy.
  • Options
    Ha! ****.
  • Options
    I might go through what I have on stock and see if I have any Habanos I haven't tried yet and post about 'em. I always like an excuse to go rooting through my humis and research cigars.