dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    PuroFreak:
    dutyje:
    PuroFreak:
    dutyje:
    Krieg:
    PuroFreak:
    dutyje:
    Where we continue to butt heads is in our definition of fundamental rights and personal responsibility. I believe our society has progressed beyond the days of the cave man, and our members are entitled to basic necessities such as education and healthcare. I don't think we're going to get anywhere discussing that, because we're reduced to arguing in support of our theories. So in that, we shall simply have to agree to disagree.
    This is where we disagree as well, I believe that Etitlement mentality is what will be the downfall of our nation. No one owes you or anyone else a damn thing.
    Sorry, I missed the part in the Constitution that said I had a right to healthcare and an education. Can you please point this out to me. Thanks.
    Right after you show me the part that says you have the right to smoke a cigar anywhere.

Kuzi, I would argue that a "right to life" implies the right to survive... But how can this be done if one cannot receive healthcare?
    If that was the case then the "Right to life" would also mean that abortions are banned by the Constitution... Hmmm... I bet that would ruffle some feathers!
    Except that those provisions only apply to citizens
    Then why do we have people filing law suits every freakin day because the "civil liberties" of ILLEGAL ALIENS are being violated? Also if that child is born, it will be a citizen and if has the "right to life" according to the constitution. Now I'm not arguing against abortion because I honestly have mixed emotions on the subject and don't have a firm stance on it. I'm just pointing out that by your definition, abortion would be banned by the constitution.
    Illegal aliens should not have the right to file lawsuits because of any violations of civil liberties under our Constitution, because they aren't protected by our constitution.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    dutyje:
    PuroFreak:
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    dutyje:
    Right after you show me the part that says you have the right to smoke a cigar anywhere.

"...the pursuit of happiness"
    and if your doing so infringes on the right of another to live or pursue happiness?
    Who on here ever said it is a right to smoke a cigar anywhere you want? I missed that one... smoking cigars period isn't a right, it's a privledge for those who can afford it.
    You still have the priviledge to purchase cigars. But, once they have them, nobody has the right to just smoke them anywhere.
    I agree, I'm trying to figure out who on here said that we do have the right to smoke them anywhere we want... Thats what I missed. You threw that statement out there but I never saw what it was in regards to... I was agreeing with ya Duty! Don't F**k it up!! haha
    it's in the quote
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Man i jumped in this one at the wrong time, Here's as observation of of our digression of freedoms...

I was stationed in VA Beach from 2000-2003. On the "boardwalk area" of VA Beach they have signs that have a "$#!&" with a red circle and slash through them to indicate no profanity....ok...no harm no foul. Then these signs under them would pop up stating that public use of profanity wold incur a 50$ fine. Now i think that public loud excessive use of profanity, especially infront of children, is distasteful and wrong(one man and his opinion) but if you break this down to its ground floor....we have an area...public, not private, where you can be fined by the government for saying a specific "word" in public. Where the F*%K do they get off doing that.

Maddy, double check me on this one since you live in Chesapeake, are those signs still there?
  • Options
    The concept is to protect the value of the tourist revenue. If people don't see that beach as an acceptable place to take a family, they will stop going there. The businesses will suffer.

All that said, yes, I disagree with that. But again, if the local population supports the laws, then good for them. If the local population does not approve of the laws, they can put in new politicians. As a final note, I wonder how an appeal on the basis of the First Amendment would fare. It seems to me that the law directly conflicts with the Constitution.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Jetmech_63:
    Man i jumped in this one at the wrong time, Here's as observation of of our digression of freedoms...

I was stationed in VA Beach from 2000-2003. On the "boardwalk area" of VA Beach they have signs that have a "$#!&" with a red circle and slash through them to indicate no profanity....ok...no harm no foul. Then these signs under them would pop up stating that public use of profanity wold incur a 50$ fine. Now i think that public loud excessive use of profanity, especially infront of children, is distasteful and wrong(one man and his opinion) but if you break this down to its ground floor....we have an area...public, not private, where you can be fined by the government for saying a specific "word" in public. Where the F*%K do they get off doing that.

Maddy, double check me on this one since you live in Chesapeake, are those signs still there?
    I was there in the past few months...those signs are still posted everywhere in downtown VA beach. I took a picture the first time I saw them. Thought they were hilarious.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'd lay good money those are the most defaced signs in VA Beach.
  • Options
    urbino:
    I think that is a $400 fine...jk. Most of the one's I've seen have been pretty clean. They post them at about 12ft in the air. Honestly, I just wanted to take one home with me, but I thought if they are gonna fine me for cussin' they'd probably kill me for stealing.
  • Options
    bbc020:
    urbino:
    I think that is a $400 fine...jk. Most of the one's I've seen have been pretty clean. They post them at about 12ft in the air. Honestly, I just wanted to take one home with me, but I thought if they are gonna fine me for cussin' they'd probably kill me for stealing.
    I really am afraid to break the law in VA. I heard something that if you get caught speeding, and you're from out of state, they hit you hard with fines
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    bbc020:
    bbc020:
    urbino:
    I really am afraid to break the law in VA. I heard something that if you get caught speeding, and you're from out of state, they hit you hard with fines

I think you can still be stoned to death because it a common wealth.....I'd be careful Brandon...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    bbc020:
    bbc020:
    urbino:

I think you can still be stoned to death because it a common wealth.....I'd be careful Brandon...
    Oh believe me...I try to stay away. The better half's family is from Portsmouth, VA