Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Rodger! A 2-week update.. It's been HOT here.. Over a 100 the last 2 days
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lookin good there rodger & shizz! 

been picking fresh lettuce for the last few weeks, just picked the last of it.

tomatoes, peppers, and squash all have fruit coming along, hoping some will be ready to pick this weekend. 

lots of rain here the last couple weeks; very soggy.  need a break.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rain has made a mess of my garden this year.  My potatoes will not come out of it the plants have already died off or are starting to die off.  One of the down pours we had washed out a full row and part of another row.  Cabbage isn't doing very well and my tomato plants are sickly looking.   Worse year I can remember for the garden. Definitely will not have a 4th of July tomato out of the garden this year. 
    Only thing that has done well so far is radish and leaf lettuce, got my arugula in late so don't have any yet. 
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    My bhut and moruga
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot of rain here recently.  Growing like crazy.  Broccoli is ready to go.  Getting some tomatoes , squash, zucchini, and beans.  

• Options
    Wow Sherm very impressive!
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza said:
    Envy
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking good Sherm. You got a lot going on there. Fresh veggies from the garden are hard to beat.
  • Options
    Gives me an excuse to grab a cigar and head out to the garden after work.  Wife never questions it if I bring back some fresh veggies for dinner.  Except last night when I brought in 3 giant heads of broccoli that were ready to flower. 
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    jd50ae said:
    Bigshizza said:
    Envy
    You're the type of person that makes people like me and a host of others--- leave!!
    enjoy yourself and you're lucky I don't live closer! F U...@jd50ae
    Post edited by Bigshizza on
  • Options
    Everything's behind right now ..... too freakin' wet. 
    June had 23 days with precipitation. 

Got some tomatoes coming along but every single plant has blight on the leaves & stems; finally got a break in the rain and was able to spray them yesterday. 
    Hoping they are able to recover.....need to get a good yield so we can do some canning & restock the pantry.

Peppers & squash are growing, but nothing ripe yet. 

Sunflowers are stunted and not doing too great.
    Beets are terrible, wilting & dying.
    Radishes are, at best, "meh". 

Early season lettuce has been the best thing to come out of the garden so far.
    Most of the herbs are doing well.....
    And the lime tree seems to have recovered just fine now that we repotted it to a larger container. 

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Deer have been eating the tops off the sweet potatoes. Got some Liquid Fence and sprayed them down. We will see. Might be eating venison this fall.
  • Options
    Guess it is time to make some pickles

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deer have been eating the tops off the sweet potatoes. Got some Liquid Fence and sprayed them down. We will see. Might be eating venison this fall.
    Nothing wrong with that.  I love Venison.  Take a Jalapeno stuff it with some cream cheese, then wrap some venison back strap meat around it and then wrap that in bacon.  Its heaven!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Liquid Fence worked the sweet potatoes are growing fine. I've got two deer meat roasts in the freezer from last year. We have lots of green beans, radishes including daikon that are 16 inches, squash, chard, arugla, lettuce, cukes, green onions, etc. Tomatoes are looking good with no sign of late blight. Corn is waist high and I just finishes making a fennel, radish,onion and cuke salad with mint and rice vinegar. I'll get some picts. 
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with that.  I love Venison.  Take a Jalapeno stuff it with some cream cheese, then wrap some venison back strap meat around it and then wrap that in bacon.   ...... Deep fry it and cover it with chocolate.

• Options
    Green beans coming along.. Potatoes are 5 weeks early due to heat... China peas are getting ready..
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been picking blackberries like crazy here, as well as raspberries. Thinking ofaking wine with the blackberries. 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Got cukes, squash,green beans and diakon radishes.
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @First_Warrior  those radish look great!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    The heat has pushed everything up by 5 weeks
  • Options
    Green beans coming on
  • Options
    Lookin' good @Bigshizza & @First_Warrior !!!!

Things are finally improving in my garden.
    Don't think we'll have as many tomatoes for canning as we did last year; hoping for maybe a dozen quarts.

Going to be sow some seeds for fall harvest & over-winter soon.

And here's a shot of some tomatoes we picked the other day..... chopped 'em up, wife made a tomato tart, and we put the rest on top of a homemade pizza, good stuff!!

• Options
    That's good eats. i just transplanted our fall kale, collars,chinese cabbage,escarole,arugla,and a couple new asian greens we are trying for the first time. Covered the beds with row cloth to keep the bugs out. We had kale and collards into Jan last year.
  • Options
    MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Squirrels eat all my tomatoes. Did not even get one had almost 100 of them all gone. Started builing the hoop house not going to be an issue next year. Will also plant earlier  and extend the season  next year as well.
  • Options
    had a ton more tomatoes ripen up last week, amazing what a few days of 80+ and sunshine will do. 

all the basil plants were flowering so harvested the rest of it as well. 

also, picked probably 8 neapolitan sweet peppers over the weekend, good stuff.   similar flavor to bell peppers but they have thinner walls & are not quite as crunchy as bells.

wife made up 2 types of red sauce & some pesto.
    ended up with 6 quarts of sauce (but unfortunately 1 broke in the hot water bath while she was processing it, boo!!)  and about 10 small (12 oz) jars of pesto.

already had some of the red sauce on ravioli & homemade pizza, delish!!!!

• Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Green of all kinds are in the ground. Collards, cabbage, turnips, broad leaf and curly leaf mustard and kale. Okra doing well still and early peas growing fine. I am looking forward to a good season. 
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rodney. How are things? Are these your Fall seedlings coming to fruition? Hope you are following the guidance of those that know better than you. 
  • Options
    We are still picking green beans and tomatoes. Made up 6 quarts of tomato sauce with roasted tomatoes, basil, roasted onions and oregano. All from the garden. I harvested my Aztec tobacco and will use most of the tobacco for NA ceremony and a small amount rolling cigars. Our winter garden is set with kale, nappa cabbage, and collards up about 10 inches and covered with row cloth. Pict is a one day haul.image
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

My winter prep work on my gardens are now completed. Now I simply wait while my grow room does its work in getting my new crops started.

This year I will be experimenting with aquaponics as well as finishing my green house, which is a 12foot by 28 feet double walled and well insulated hoop house, hopefully in time for early spring season.

A quick side note:

This year I will again grow several tobacco varieties as I am now planning a dedicated curing/holding building.

One lesson that I learned the hard way is that no amount of backyard gimmicks can replace a well thought out facility dedicated to the function of curing and storing tobacco.

Lessons well learned..........