Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been in the low teens here at night but we still have a good mess of Collards and Kale in one of our covered beds. Starting on our seed order for the spring.
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I've been gardening for years now and last year I really started getting into growing super hot peppers. Living here in So Calif makes it very easy to grow plants that love the heat but with all of the water restrictions makes it difficult. I have a very small yard and do what is called "High Density Planting" to get the most out of my space. My beds are resting now. In November 2015 I added compost (home made of course) to the beds and covered them with mulch. I did plant some garlic just to see if they would make it or not and to my surprise they are doing great! Just received a bunch of seed catalogs and making my list for plants to grow in 2016 :)  Just a few photos from my garden
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naaahhhh... those aren't hot.  :blush: 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Naaahhhh... those aren't hot.  :blush: 
    Well, if anyone would know, you would. You're the only guy I know with a cast-iron gizzard....   B)
  • Options
    @peter4jc I don't have any fresh pods left but will have a bunch later this year. I'll send some your way. Nothing like fresh Ghost Peppers. I do have a bunch that I have dried from my last harvest in November. If you would like some PM me your info B)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, @Lee.mcglynn tried to kill me last year by offering me 5 CC's if I ate Chocolate Maruga and taped it.  You guessed, "My name is Peter Schmidt, and I'm stupid."

I'd take some of the dried ones off your hands, and will send a PM.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    It's going to be 80 degrees here today. Spring flowers are already blooming and my necterin tree is looking good.

— Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    ChazMNChazMN Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Gonna hit 41 degs today, spring fever is in the air :)

I love growing tomatoes, here is a pic of some cherrys from last year. 
  • Options
    Still winter in the NC high country. We got a storm coming. The saving grace is that the sap will start moving up in the trees in about a week. Sending in our seed order in the next couple of days. 
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started butter lettuce, endive, tomatoes, pepper and basil seeds about 6 weeks ago (maybe a little too soon lol).
    all coming along nice now (except the pepper only 1/12 sprouted, lame)

will probably have to harvest lettuce and endive indoors before last frost. Will plant a couple more rows in the garden.

hoping to have an early tomato harvest since I started them indoors early this year.

And just got some new pepper and tomato seeds. Hoping the peppers sprout good. Got 1 tray of peppers and 1 tray of tomatoes on the heat mats.

Lime tree and bay doing pretty good in the basement this year.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    last spring's garden, old bed frames in the back are for cucumbers
  • Options
    Gardens are looking good. If you need some pepper seeds I might know a guy ;)
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can't wait to get into the new house! We will be able to increase the size of the garden. We won't make it to big this year but my wife and I can so we are excited to take things up a notch. @WaterNerd , I might hit you up for some pepper seeds!
  • Options
    @MikeTodd pm me your info when your ready. I'll go through my bins and send you a nice selection everything from mild to super hot Nothing like home grown peppers  :)
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    It's been in the high 70's for the last10 days and the flowers are blooming. Just hoping we don't get a late frost like last year

— Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    We got frog eggs in our small pond and saw the first returning Robins today. Won't be long now. 
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    This is my lemon tree. First one starting to ripen. Mandarin has 2 one it and on is just starting to go from green to orange. 

I didn't realize that citrus took so long to grow.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    This is my lemon tree. First one starting to ripen. Mandarin has 2 one it and on is just starting to go from green to orange. 

I didn't realize that citrus took so long to grow.

Lookin' good Tony @0patience !! 

My citrus tree (lime) had some buds earlier this winter when I had 2 lights on it. 
    Unfortunately I had to move 1 of the lights for my seed trays and after doing that the lime dropped the buds and I didn't get any fruit. 

Need to give the lime some more fertilizer and pick up another light for it soon. 
    Hope to get some buds coming along so I can have fresh limes for summer "aka mojito season." 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they don't like being moved or their light source being moved. 
    Our mandarin is in full bloom with dozens of little fruits, but usually drops a lot of them and we have 2 close to maturing on it.
    Our orange tree keeps dropping its buds and it hasn't bloomed for a while, but I suspect its because we transplanted it to a bigger pot.

Yesterday, a couple new blooms showed up on the lemon, so we're hopeful.
    I'm learning that with citrus, it takes time for them to get established, before they will produce. 
    If we could plant them outside where we are, it would probably do better, but we have way too much rain and wind for them to survive.

I've also found that they don't require as much water as one would think. We over watered the orange tree, which is another reason I think its struggling to produce.
    We cut back the lemon and mandarin to 1/2 gallon per 10 days and they seem to like it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WaterNerd I would be interested in some pepper seeds if you have any left. 
  • Options
    I'm lucky that I live in So California. I can grow any type of citrus here. Currently I have Eureka Lemon x2, Washington Navel x6, Mandarin x3 and a Ruby Red Grapefruit  :)

@bert873 No problem. I have a bunch. Why type are you looking for? Super Hots (Ghost, Carolina Reaper) or some of the more mild type? I'll go through my inventory tonight and will let you know what I have.

Now is the perfect time to plant them indoors. Planted 15 last weekend (ghost peppers) I expect to have them outside in the garden by Memorial day :)
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Awesome thanks. Im mostly interested in mild-somewhat hot but I'm definitely wanting to try some hotter ones
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Here’s my current list of all of the pepper seeds I have. Some of the seeds are rare and I only have a few but others I have a lot. Don’t be afraid to ask for anything on the list you would like to grow in your garden. You will get around 5-10 seeds per requested seed (unless I’m really low then you might just get 2-3). For example if you wanted ghost and reaper seeds you would get 10 ghost seeds and 5 reaper seeds. Have fun and don’t be shy to ask for what you want  :)

You can google all of the names of the peppers to get more info on them. *Please not all of my seeds are open pollinated meaning the plants are not in a greenhouse but outside

• Caribbean Red Habanero (low stock
    • Habanero Orange (low stock)
    • Chocolate Habanero
    • Mystery Mexican Pepper (similar to Cyan but not as hot)
    • Ghost Pepper (I grow these every year. I'll have fresh pods available in August 2016)
    • Jalapeno pepper
    • Carolina Reaper (very low stock)
    • Anaheim Chili Pepper
    • Devil Tongue Yellow (very low stock)
    • Ancho Pepper
    • Long John Cyan Pepper (one of my favorites. This pepper plant will grow over 6’ tall and produce 6-9” long cyan peppers all summer long)
    • Santaka Pepper
    • 7 Pot Yellow Brain Strain (very low stock)
    • Grande Pepper
    • Hot Paper Lantern
    • Peach Habanero (low stock)
    • Tequila Sunrise pepper (low stock)
    • Lemon Drop Chili Pepper (low stock)
    • Purple Ornamental Pepper
    • 7 Pot Bubble Gum (low stock)
    • Purple Coffee Pepper (low stock)
    • Trinidad Purple Coffee Pepper (low stock)
    • Peter Pepper Orange (low stock) Love growing this one and bringing the peppers in to work to share  :)
    • Purple Bhut Jolokia (very low stock) Not as hot as the ghost pepper but still packs a punch
    • Black Pearl Pepper (low stock)
    • White Bullet Habanero (low stock)
    All I ask is that you post photos on the forum showing how they did in your garden and think of me when your sending out bombs :)

— Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I move into my house I will be hitting you up for the chocolate habaneros :)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    @Wylaff   You got it :)
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    the first red-winged blackbird showed up today, that means time to plant the peas!
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edward @silvermouse from the sounds of things most 20yr Olds would be wore out trying to keep up with you. You come across as a busy bee that cannot sit still long.
  • Options
    I hope I am never too old to work the soil. I sit on my butt all day in the shop so the exercise is good and cheaper than going to the gym to stay in shape. And there is something special about food you grow organically where you live, picked 10 minutes before you eat it.
  • Options
    @silvermouse I agree with you. I have a few small garden beds in my backyard and love eating fresh produce straight from the garden :)
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup yall are healthier for not eating all the crap they put in food these days. If I didn't love the road I'd grow my own veggies and such. Would also go in with friends on raised on farm meat... What they feed critters to speed up the growth to feed the masses cannot be good for us.