Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Oooohh, loves me summa dem morels.....  :p

Morels and chanterelles, mmmmm, can't be beat....
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    morels are top drawer
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We find morels sometimes in old apple orchards. Got our Yukon Gold seed potatoes today and we will plant (by the signs) next week.
  • Options
    harvested the first handfull of jalapenos this morning 
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We find morels sometimes in old apple orchards. Got our Yukon Gold seed potatoes today and we will plant (by the signs) next week.
    These morels are from the backyard.  Always find a few dozen in the grass around an old elm tree, and find others amongst the ivy under a cherry tree.  

Wife found 1 this morning by the mulberry tree too, first time we've seen them in that location.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Got tomatoes coming and haven't even been able to put them in the ground yet....another couple weeks to be safe.  

All containers & flats will stay outside as the weather permits.

sowed my lettuce, radish, beets, kale, & spinach seeds today. Hope to see sprouts within a week or 2

• Options
    we are blessed/cursed here, tomatoes, peppers and onions were in the ground the last week of February, tomatoes are beginning to ripen, by late may it will be too hot for tomatoes to set fruit, whats on will ripen then they are done until August when I will plant more and in September they will start making fruit. peppers will survive the heat but thats about it
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your lucky to have 2 seasons. We don't plant outside till mid May.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peppers are sprouting.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Peppers are sprouting.

Peppers are looking Great!!! :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    ^^^^A required ingredient if I'm grilling.^^^^
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    No kitchen should be without garlic. LOL!
    Gotta keep the vampires (aka monster-in-law) away, you know.  :#
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    10-day forecast looks good so we went ahead and put the bigger plants in the ground.  Got 24 tomato plants, 24 lettuces, 13 tomatillos, and 7 basils in the ground so far. 

Radish, beet, spinach, and lettuce seeds are starting to sprout now too.

And still have about 30 tomatoes and 30+ peppers in flats.....running out of room in the beds though and I don't really want to make another one. 
    So we'll be digging up hostas & day lilies to make way for the remaining peppers and 'maters.  

• Options
    @jgibv WOW that is a big garden. Your going to have enough tomatoes to feed an army :)

Would love to do a pepper seed trade/swap with you after your harvest. Always looking for new peppers to plant :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    WaterNerd said:
    @jgibv WOW that is a big garden. Your going to have enough tomatoes to feed an army :)

Would love to do a pepper seed trade/swap with you after your harvest. Always looking for new peppers to plant :)

Sure hope you're right about the tomatoes @WaterNerd .  We will can the majority of them and hope to have enough to last us through the winter.  Last year was not a very good year for our tomatoes. 

And we can certainly swap some pepper seeds in a few months. I don't do anything crazy (like the super-hots), just jalapenos, poblanos, and bells this year.  

Would have done some cowhorns & serranos too but I must not have saved any seeds from them because I couldn't find any in my "seed stash". 

• Options
    So we did a lot outside today, so I thought I would show some of our plants.

Improved Meyer Lemon Dwarf

Suffolk Red Seedless Grape. We just transplanted it. It's doing much better.

Pink Grapefruit Blueberry. It's loaded this year and they are yummy!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Transplanted fennel and mint today. Beets,lettuce,carrots,radishes,chard,kale,english peans,onions, potatoes and sugar snaps. all up and growing. My other started tomatoes in pots and bought 12 tomato plants at a local greenhouse.We will set the tomatoes in with a little bone meal and turkey sh--.  I'm searching for local blueberry bushes as we have room for 8 plants. Basil is still in flats as it has been cold and I'm waiting for the soil to warm. Going to direct seed cilantro into our spice bed tomorrow.
    Next week the pole beans and squashes are going in.  
  • Options
    Ghost peppers are out in the garden :)

They are still small but in a few months they will be nice and full :)  More pics to follow
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are gorgeous, Allan!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    I love the variety you have Rodger @First_Warrior .  How big is your garden plot?

And lookin' good there Allan @WaterNerd !  Your peppers are wayyyy ahead of mine, but you have that bright California sunshine!

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tomato plants have hit the 6' mark 
  • Options
    Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting to come along this year, last year was terrible with all the rain we had here last year. 

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice, guess you don't have a problem with woodchucks or raccoon.
  • Options
    things are growing well. the plants have been soaking up the sunshine these past couple weeks.

need to get out and do some weeding, fertilizing, & spray for bugs this weekend.

tomatillos

kale

cherry tomatoes

endive

mulberries

butter lettuce

tomato rows

• Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you have some amazing gardens! Eventually I would like to get a garden going. As of now all I have are two pots with peppers going. 

• Options
    edited June 2016
    So we put out the peppers thinking the weather was safe to put them out.
    We had a pretty severe rain storm and it destroyed quite a few plants. Hoping most of them will recover.

But spent this last weekend making a raised garden bed for momma.
    Gotta put the dirt in and then trasfer stuff from their pots into it.

Oh yeah, it's cinder block frame ($40 in blocks), then framed cedar boards around it.
    I think I have just under $100 into the whole thing.
    I made it with the cinder blocks, so it will last. 
    The boards around it are set up so that if they rot, which they will in this area, I just remove and replace.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...