Home Non Cigar Related

Gardens

Comments

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of our cherry tomatoes and a variety called Aceimageimage
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice basket, too.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a few more mantises over the weekend.  I have never seen so many around our house/garden before.

This fella was hanging out on the window trim.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    Found a few more mantises over the weekend.  I have never seen so many around our house/garden before.

Nice pic but who is the Picasso that cut that edge!?!? 
    Sorry but as a former painter I can't help it. LOL 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Guitarded said:
    jgibv said:

Nice pic but who is the Picasso that cut that edge!?!? 
    Sorry but as a former painter I can't help it. LOL 
    haha

that would be the fine work (sarcasm) of the esteemed "mexicanT" painters we hired this past spring to redo the house.  i could go on for days about all of the things they did wrong, complaints i had, and their hair-brained "fixes". 
    we quickly grew tired of their **** and just wanted them to finish up and be gone.

but that's a story for another day.

harvested Concord grapes
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Tilled and fertilized my gardens are now ready for planting.
    Flat Dutch Cabbage, Georgia Collards, Purple Top Turnips and Curly Leaf Mustard will be my primary crops along with several experimental varieties such as Broccolis and Cauliflowers.
    With good weather and a little luck many people will have a good New Year's Day.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still getting a lot of green beans,squash,radishesand cucumbers. Chard, arugla, escarole,tomatoes,and a couple of different kinds of lettuce are on our table most every day. Lots of tomato and basil salads. Hasn't rained here for 18 days so we are watering every other day. Winter collards, kale, nappa cabbage, are transplanted, covered and doing well. Hope we get some rain soon.
    84 Cabbage and 124 Collards in as of today. The rest of the garden is now fertilized, tilled and ready for the other 200 or so Cabbage and Collard plants. With the addition of the other plants such as Broccoli, Cauliflower and several Onion types as experimental varieties this should be a good growing season.
    I was feeling especially well this evening so I managed to get in six more rows of Collards and also five more rows of Cabbage. Now for the greens early tomorrow.
    Greens of all kinds are finnally in. Now for the Swiss Chard, Garlic, Onions and Radish, White Icicle and French Breakfast, then herbs for seasoning.
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to harvest some peppers this weekend :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

WaterNerd said:
    Going to harvest some peppers this weekend :)

What variety?
    edited September 2016
    @RBeckom These are Bhut Jolokia "Ghost" peppers. Very hot but they have tons of flavor :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

RBeckom said:
    Jerusalem Artichoke.
    Has anyone here tried them?
    I find them great for Stir frying or simply snacking on fresh. 
    This one topped out at twelve feet. Not the tallest but still a good example. Butterflies love them.
    wow, good growing there, @RBeckom!
    Won't be long now.
    Extra help in cool weather never hurts.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My lemon tree is loaded.
    Meyer Improved dwarf Lemon tree.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    edited October 2016
    Now for the best part of gardening.
    Eating what you grow.image
    beautiful!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoo Haa!!  I don't know what brought it about but my pepper plants finally decided to put out some blooms. Now, if there's time before the frost sets in, I may actually get to harvest a pepper or two. 

Keep your fingers crossed, Gang.....  :D
    jlmarta said:
    Hoo Haa!!  I don't know what brought it about but my pepper plants finally decided to put out some blooms. Now, if there's time before the frost sets in, I may actually get to harvest a pepper or two. 

Keep your fingers crossed, Gang.....  :D
    hey marty @jlmarta ; you can pot it, bring it indoors to protect it from the cold, and it will keep growing throughout the winter.  all peppers are perennials and will grow & produce for multiple seasons as long as they're kept out of the cold! 

i just dug up all of our pepper plants and potted them last week.  they still have a ton of peppers & flowers on them, so  i'll bring them inside and place them under lights in the next couple weeks before it gets too cold. 

edited October 2016
    Thanks for that, Gibby @jgibv. Actually, they're already in pots but I'm not too inclined to bother with bringing them in. I just grew these as a gag to spring on my know-it-all stepson for whom I got a bunch of seeds from @WaterNerd but who refused to follow any of my instructions and who ended up buying some pepper plants that were already started. He couldn't get any of the seeds I gave him to germinate. 

So I went online and bought a packet of seeds for the p enis pepper and my plan is to give him the peppers to show him what a dic khead he is. After that, I don't really care whether I have any peppers.   :p

getting chilly outside and we've already had a couple overnight frost/freeze warnings. i got tired of dragging everything in & out of the garage at night so i decided to get a new indoor shelf and bring everything in for the season. 
    i'm hoping the peppers will start to ripen up now that they're indoors.

i think i need to pick up an additional light (or 2) for the lime tree since it's off to the side and not directly under the lights.

@jgibvGreat set-up. I put my peppers in the garage too. I also use a heat mat and it makes a world of difference :)
    — Abraham Lincoln

edited October 2016
    WaterNerd said:
    @jgibv Great set-up. I put my peppers in the garage too. I also use a heat mat and it makes a world of difference :)
    thanks @WaterNerd !yeah it works pretty good, this shelf is 1000x better than the old ones i had.

i use heat mats for starting seeds.....but hadn't considered putting them under these large pepper pots. 
    do you that adding heat mats would benefit these larger (12-18 inch) pots?

(also, FWIW if you need a sturdy wire shelf, the best deal i found was at target. 
    5-tier, 18x48x72, $60)

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will not even go into how many poor tomato plants and such that I have caused the death of.  No fresh fruit or veggies from our yard except, Pineapple.  Not me but the wife has an entire plantation along our fence and around the yard.  She has growing them down to a science and I get to eat fresh pineapple when they ripen.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rodents love pineapple. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yakster said:
    Rodents love pineapple. 
    Yep. This ol' rat loves a nice, fresh pineapple once in a while ... :p