Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out this morning and I found 3 praying mantis on the house near the bug zapper

One green and 2 tan color ones! They are not very big but glad they are in the yard :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    Found this little guy in the yard last night. I'm hoping it will turn into a Monarch butterfly... will have to wait and see :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I give up.
    Someone sprayed along the side of our fence where our grapes, mandarin, orange and lemon plants were and while a couple might make it, the mandarin, grape and one lemon tree are beyond help.

For what ever reason though, the blueberries, loganberries and strawberries are doing fine.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a shame, they should know better.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just transplanted kale, collards and Chinese cabbage in a couple of raised beds for our winter garden. Also direct seeded watermelon radishes and mustard in the same beds. Covered the beds with a plastic pipe frame and row cover to keep the flea beetles off. Still picking green beans, paddy pan squash, tomatoes,cucumbers, and lettuce. Got a flat with escarole , and several kinds of lettuce started.  
  • Options
    nice looking plants, Peter!  I just used this recipe to mix up a quart of habanero sauce, it's fermenting nicely.  Only change I made was 3 tbsp of coconut sugar instead of 4 tbsp brown sugar.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/sriracha-recipe-from-scratch.html

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    muy insteresante!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Beautiful day to dry up my Ghost Peppers

— Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to trade cigars for a few not dried ghost peppers, they make an amazing roasted tomatillo salsa.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Cayennes

Japalenos 

Habaneros 

Yummy for my tummy! 
    Hmmmmm. Pepper-infused coffee?  An upcoming trend?   :p
  • Options
    your spring is about two months ahead of ours, last frost date here is mid-May. 
  • Options
    Looks like spring is arriving early this year. Temps in the mid 70’s this weekend and most of next week. Decided to plant some onions this year

Never planted these before. Figured I’d give them a shot  :)
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    We are calling in our seed order tomorrow. Garlic is showing. Frog eggs are in the pond and I'm transplanting 5 Blueberry bushes Monday. 
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know when you live in a crappy place when the only thing that will grow is corn, peas, apples, cherries, pumpkins, plums and peaches.
    Sometimes pears.

Things like cucumbers, watermelon and peppers are hit an miss.
    Mostly miss.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Just waiting for the red-winged blackbirds to arrive before planting peas and spinach
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just waiting for the red-winged blackbirds to arrive before planting peas and spinach
    I was told to plant peas right after Saint Patrick's day. Same guy also told me it always snows at least one time after SP day......That was 30 years ago, and he was right....It might have only been a flurry, but it has always held true.  
  • Options
    Eranthis are blooming! 

• Options
    Brother and sister Eranthis alongside the house.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please hook me up with those delicious ghost peppers and chocolate habaneros again.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Nice, Rodger! Did you make the hoop houses? I need to do something like that with the late springs up here, surrounded by cold New England ocean.
  • Options
    , We use thin wall pvc and row cover held on by snap clamps. Several places sell the clips. We have a shorter growing season here also because of our 3500 ft elevation.  https://www.circoinnovations.com/copy-of-snap-clamps
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, very helpful.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    , We use thin wall pvc and row cover held on by snap clamps. Several places sell the clips. We have a shorter growing season here also because of our 3500 ft elevation.  https://www.circoinnovations.com/copy-of-snap-clamps
    You always seem to have the most thoughtful and best laid out garden.Good show.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a jalapeno expert.
    Years ago a friend gave me a grocery bag full of them from his garden.
    They were the thickest walled and best tasting I have ever had.
    Anyone know of a really thick walled jalapeno? They were fairly uniform in size, about 3 inches and were a shiny and dark green.