Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must pair well with bacon and cream cheese.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    I need a jalapeno expert.
    Years ago a friend gave me a grocery bag full of them from his garden.
    They were the thickest walled and best tasting I have ever had.
    Anyone know of a really thick walled jalapeno? They were fairly uniform in size, about 3 inches and were a shiny and dark green.
    I would be interested if anyone had a strain of jalapeno that was consistent. I grow them regularly but you never know what you are going to get. The same plant can kick out big/small and mild/firecracker, just no consistency.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    jd50ae said:
    Anyone know of a really thick walled jalapeno? They were fairly uniform in size, about 3 inches and were a shiny and dark green.
    I would be interested if anyone had a strain of jalapeno that was consistent. I grow them regularly but you never know what you are going to get. The same plant can kick out big/small and mild/firecracker, just no consistency.
    Check with @WaterNerd
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Have some ghost peppers going from what Allan sent last year, he is the pepper wizard.

Pepper Grand Poobah 
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    jd50ae said:
    The last Jalapeños I grew did great. I found that adding a little Azomite Rock Dust to the soil really helps with pepper growth. I use this supplement with all of my peppers and it’s cheap (under $10 for 2lbs) I have jalapeño seeds from my last harvest if your interested pm me  :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harvested the last of the first planting of (bolting) lettuce. Dug some new potatoes and the garlic, now to spread more salt hay.... Good day to work up a sweat.
  • Options
    @silvermouse where are the dandelions?
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    71 HD Samsung Wallpapers For Free Download

they're a spring tonic, too bitter to eat once they flower
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We enjoy dandelions also. In the early spring we harvest them before the buds open and before the stems turn red. The unopened buds are like capers and the leaves are tender. Cook some chopped bacon in a cast iron skillet throw in some sliced onions and chopped dandelions and finish with a little bit of balsamic vinegar  and you have a wilted salad spring tonic that's really,really good.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    We enjoy dandelions also. In the early spring we harvest them before the buds open and before the stems turn red. The unopened buds are like capers and the leaves are tender. Cook some chopped bacon in a cast iron skillet throw in some sliced onions and chopped dandelions and finish with a little bit of balsamic vinegar  and you have a wilted salad spring tonic that's really,really good.
    Well now that makes sense.  I've tried them and thought "well, when you're starving you'll eat grasshoppers, too."  

(yes, I've done that, and I was starving at the time, as in no food for a couple or three weeks)  
    But, I only tried them post-flowering.  If I remember this next spring, I'll try again.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Ah, dogbane, lovely, but toxic.  Be careful about getting too close to Olivia.
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Ah, dogbane, lovely, but toxic.  Be careful about getting too close to Olivia.
    I warned him last year about the toxicity...the response was something like “I love to chew the leaves and blossoms” LOL 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    peter4jc said:
    My oleander is blooming nicely and the fragrance is astounding. 

Hope you washed your hands good!!! That plant/shrub is extremely poisonous. Looks nice though. 
    So I've been told.  I find that eating a couple blossoms gets me a great buzz w/o killing me.  ;-)
    @Yakster here it is LOL
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just chalk it up to being way ahead of my time.  Someday you guys will recognize how right I was.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    I heard Peter was almost on Fear Factor.
  • Options
    Hope everyone's gardens are producing well. Lost most of my peaches to gray mold because I experimented with not spraying them at all this year. Next time I'll at least treat the trees to a few baths of garden sulfur. Asian pears doing very well. And if you are pulling purslane "weeds" you might want to read this:
    https://www.drugs.com/npp/purslane.html
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The castor bean plants are happy this year... Over 6' so far. 

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Few pics of the garden beds this morning 

Onions are doing great. All of the rain this winter has helped a lot!

Garlic are looking good. Getting my other bed ready for a bunch of peppers. I’m also going to grow potatoes this year. First for me. More to follow  :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    a little jealous, you're about 2 months ahead of me, my garlics are still sleeping under a few inches of shredded maple leaves.
  • Options
    Our garlic is showing through some pine bark mulch, Going to the sawmill this week for some 10'x6" hemlock rough sawn to rebuild a few of our raised beds. We will be starting some peppers and tomatoes indoors in week or so.
  • Options
    CigarsonistCigarsonist Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s about time to get everything started! I’m way too excited
  • Options
    Going to be in The mid 70’s this weekend so it’s time to get the garden beds ready for some new plants  :)

— Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    Bought some Lavender plants for the patio

Planted some potatoes and they are doing great. Going to put more soil around them this weekend 👍🏻

— Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    I'm so far behind this year starting seeds. It's like that sometimes. 
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    After much theological debate, my Christmas cactus has decided to convert. It is now asking to be called an Easter cactus.

It does not matter what it wants to called, what it identifies as is the important part.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Transplanted tomatoes, poblano peppers, Swiss chard and a few basil today. Set up the cages for the tomatoes and peppers. Built the tripods for green beans and direct seeded radishes and turnips. Going to direct seed carrots, sugar snap peas, and beets tomorrow. Got another flat of Italian and Asian basil going. Cilantro volunteers coming up everywhere.