Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Transplanted kale, collards, Chinese cabbage, radicco, escarole, and lettuce today. Covered the beds with row cover to keep the rabbits out. We will have collards for southern good luck new years supper. 
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 12 years my nectarine 🍑 tree died 😕. 2018 was the last year the tree flowered and had fruit. Decided that I would take it out myself and plant another tree. Never done this before and don’t think I’ll do it again. Now to find a tree to put in its place

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I HATE hornworms.

Speaking of pests, the rooster was raising hell after dark last night, 4 Possums in the henhouse. By the time I got back with the shotgun three were gone.

One down...

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Possum up a gum stump
    C oon, he in the holler...... 🦝

(Stupid censor won’t let ya type c o o n....)
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

planted a few of 6-packs of peppers; now to try to keep them warm in our dark and wood stove heated home.

• Options
    HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what is up on these leaves? Is it bugs or some other factor like watering. This is a pepper plant. I just planted a garden for the first time and don't know much, but I'm trying to learn.

Also should I do anything about this guy with 2 stems coming up in the same place.

I also need some advice about pruning pepper plants. When should I do it? I read that if you top them you will get some shorter bushy plants that don't need cages. Should I be pruning off the really low leaves that are super close to the ground?

I know there's some gardeners around here! Any advice would be appreciated.

• Options

^^^^in the top picture up there it's not just the hole in the leaf, but other brown spots happening close by.

• Options

While I'm at it, I have this satsuma tree I just bought. It's got a lot of new growth on top and is falling over like that. The guy at the nursery said it doesn't need a bigger stake. Should I take some off the top to promote a thicker trunk and bottom part?

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterNerd is our resident pepper expert.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Regarding the peppers it looks like you have fungus on a few leaves. I get fungus on my plants too. I normally add a light fertilizer (I use miracle grow fertilizer for tomatoes works great) to the water to get the plants healthy and the leaves will just drop off or you can pinch them off and toss them. If you decide to use something to fight the fungus just be careful and follow the directions. I've killed a few plants by adding to much.

I would divide the pepper plants. Both have nice growth on them and you will have 2 nice plants 👍🏻

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options

@WaterNerd said:
    Regarding the peppers it looks like you have fungus on a few leaves. I get fungus on my plants too. I normally add a light fertilizer (I use miracle grow fertilizer for tomatoes works great) to the water to get the plants healthy and the leaves will just drop off or you can pinch them off and toss them. If you decide to use something to fight the fungus just be careful and follow the directions. I've killed a few plants by adding to much.

I would divide the pepper plants. Both have nice growth on them and you will have 2 nice plants 👍🏻

Thanks!

I just used some miracle grow this morning. How would I go about splitting those plants? I just planted them on Monday. Should I dig in and try to split the roots up?

• Options

Do you prune your plants?

• Options
    edited March 2020

I would dig them up and gently separate them. Soil will be very loose so it should be easy. No I don't top my plants. I've watched several videos on YouTube but never tried it. I also use Azomite rock dust. Just add it in the soil. Pepper plants really like the stuff. You can find it on the cheap on Amazon. 2 lbs will last you a few years. Also recommend making your own compost and adding it to your soil. I just bought some 1/4” 4’ tall hardware cloth. Made it into a cylinder and that's it. Just toss everything from the yard in it including grass clippings (no sticks or roses). You will be amazed how quickly you will have great compost and a ton of worms 👍🏻

— Abraham Lincoln

• Options

Yes I wanna start a compost pile.

• Options

Anyone have any suggestions about the citrus tree?

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

@Heavysetrapier said:
    Anyone have any suggestions about the citrus tree?

Maybe rotate it 180 degrees

Ed. Talking about the satsuma tree

Post edited by IndustMech on

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

@WaterNerd you think dumping your cigar ash tray with all the nubs into the compost pile would be good material?

• Options

@Heavysetrapier said:
    @WaterNerd you think dumping your cigar ash tray with all the nubs into the compost pile would be good material?

Yes that's what I do. I also put my used coffee grounds in it. Normally after I put the grass clipping in 👍🏻

Now about the citrus tree. Not sure what you can do to make the tree grow straight up. You could trim it so its not so heavy on the one side and put a bigger stake it to keep it straight. I think it looks cool 👍🏻

— Abraham Lincoln

• Options

@Heavysetrapier said:

Upon some reading, it seems that if your going to use the compost in a tomato garden, this might not be a good idea. Apparently tomato plants can get a virus similar to some sort of tobacco plant virus.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

😂 glad I’m not the only one that throws their nubs in the garden. @VegasFrank is shaking his head right now.

• Options

I've been doing it for years with no problems.

— Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sketch6995 has been fertilizing his neighbors yard all these years.

I picked up a rotating compost bin at Costco last summer. I throw grass clippings, leaves, coffee grounds, egg shells, vegetable scraps, and dryer lint in there. It's a challenge balancing the "green" and "brown" ingredients. The leaves and dryer lint count for brown to balance out all the grass and coffee ground "green" ingredients.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

planter some kohl rabi, radishes, and beets, but my heart just wasn't in it; the more time I have the less I get done.

• Options

I planted some ghost peppers this morning. I'm having trouble trying to get the picture up.

• Options

Man I'm pretty over the inconsistency I'm experiencing when trying to post pictures.

• Options