Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterNerd I believe those are Amaryllises :) They come in all kinds of different colors and are very invasive. How are your cigar plant's doing any pictures?

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@TX98Z28 Yep they are part of the Amaryllis family. I like them and they do great around the edges of my landscaping. I thought I lost my cigar plant over the winter. It got cold here and it turned completely brown. I trimmed it in the spring and it’s bigger then ever! The hummingbirds love it

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options

@WaterNerd said:
    @TX98Z28 Yep they are part of the Amaryllis family. I like them and they do great around the edges of my landscaping. I thought I lost my cigar plant over the winter. It got cold here and it turned completely brown. I trimmed it in the spring and it’s bigger then ever! The hummingbirds love it

Your Cigar Plant looks great! My last two the deer ate them to the ground, they never recovered. I have one on the deck but I’m afraid to plant it in any of the flower beds, and their so post to be deer resistant but the deer here eat just about anything especially my roses.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more I look at this thread the more jealous I am of all of you that don't live in a hostile wasteland. I bought I bunch of "full-sun" zone 7 plants this year, and all of them except for some red-leafed shrub with no tag that I bought on a whim have gotten sun-stroke and died.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

How goes the battle of the Goatheads?

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wylaff said:
    The more I look at this thread the more jealous I am of all of you that don't live in a hostile wasteland. I bought I bunch of "full-sun" zone 7 plants this year, and all of them except for some red-leafed shrub with no tag that I bought on a whim have gotten sun-stroke and died.

I follow TonyGrowsFood on Instragram Link. He lives in Phoenix AZ and grows a ton of food. Take a look. Lots of great info on gardening in hot climates

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options

The heat of the climate isn’t so bad, the UV index is off the charts. I have a buddy from Kenya who experienced his first sunburn here, but I will check out the channel. And the goat heads aren’t so bad. We are going to try to seed a lawn out back in two weeks. With any luck that will choke the rest out.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

Anyone able to identify this thing? It looks like it should be an indoor plant (no green) but it has absolutely thrived on my front porch.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a coleus.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a coleus

• Options

Thanks. I'll stop by the nursery and get a couple more.

• Options

@Wylaff Coleus and they mostly are indoor plants. They love shade, love water. Surprised it's alive thriving out there in the heat. How much water are you giving it?

• Options
    edited August 2020

Danger to Pets

While coleus plants are nontoxic to humans, the essential oils they contain are toxic to pets. If a dog or cat eats coleus plant parts, it could cause symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, depression and loss of appetite.

@Wylaff

• Options

@TX98Z28 said:
    @Wylaff Coleus and they mostly are indoor plants. They love shade, love water. Surprised it's alive thriving out there in the heat. How much water are you giving it?

It gets about 2 cups a day of direct watering, and it's under the drip from the mister I put in for the hops. It's almost doubled in size since I've got it. I moved it a couple days ago to the other side of the post, so it is now only doing 6 or so hours of direct sunlight, but it's seemed to enjoy the environment more than anything else I've planted.

• Options

@Yakster said:
    Danger to Pets

While coleus plants are nontoxic to humans, the essential oils they contain are toxic to pets. If a dog or cat eats coleus plant parts, it could cause symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, depression and loss of appetite.

@Wylaff

Thanks for the heads up. My dog doesn't like to eat or chew on plants fortunately, but I will make sure it is not where she can easily get to it.

• Options

@Wylaff said:

@TX98Z28 said:

It gets about 2 cups a day of direct watering, and it's under the drip from the mister I put in for the hops. It's almost doubled in size since I've got it. I moved it a couple days ago to the other side of the post, so it is now only doing 6 or so hours of direct sunlight, but it's seemed to enjoy the environment more than anything else I've planted.

Water requirements look good, they can take sun (usually indirect, under tree etc.) but shocked it can take 6 hours of direct sunlight but every plant is a little different, it must have good genetics if thriving.

• Options

@VegasFrank what kind of plants thrive in Vegas?

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sagebrush lol. But seriously though, anything that likes a lot of sunlight obviously.

Food wise, Tomatoes do well. Everything in the cucumber family grows really well, and so do chilis. We have an apple orchard up the street, but they're mostly small. of course, everything has to be artificially watered everyday, twice a day.

As far as decorative plants, A lot of people around here have plum trees, but they all split and die within a few years. I don't know why people mess with them. Roses love Las Vegas if you can shade them in the afternoon. Otherwise, the pedals burn in the heat. Oleander grows like a weed. My big rosemary bushes do really well with sun or shade as long as they get at least a little water once in a while.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Oleanders, have a 4'er in my back yard, in a pot so I can bring it in before winter. The blossoms are wonderfully fragrant.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Oh, And a crapload of Joshua trees too.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

Anyone try growing a tobacco plant? I thought about it but those suckers get pretty damn big.

• Options

I bet the ATF would be knocking on your door like you were David koresh.

• Options

@TX98Z28 said:
    Anyone try growing a tobacco plant? I thought about it but those suckers get pretty damn big.

I've been following this thread in Pipe Smoker's Den where a member is growing his own leaf for cigars and pipe tobacco. He's already processing the leaf, very interesting thread.

https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/cigar-and-va-grow.7469/

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    I bet the ATF would be knocking on your door like you were David koresh.

I'm no Davidian, it will be fine.

• Options

Got the Westerland's planted finally! The pots are quite big, 2ft. x 18-20in" diameter tapered down. Each took exactly 1 huge bag of potting mix. Just need to find some trellises as they are climbing roses.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, Rodger. If you get a chance grow some of these: https://www.worldtomatosociety.com/tomato/brads-atomic-grape/

They are really delicious, appear to be quite disease resistant, and bountiful. I will send you some seeds if you are interested.