Home Non Cigar Related

Gardens

Comments

• HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put in some onion sets and direct seeded Watermelon and French Breakfast radishes. The chard and lettuce is up in the flats I planted last week.

@WaterNerd how much and how do you go about applying the azomite rock dust? I got a 4x10 box and a few pots.

Also, can you tell me what this discoloration looks like? I've seen pictures of it before, but I can't remember what it is.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

The leaf that is curling down on the left looks like it has cercospora leaf spot; also could be bacterial spot. Peppers like it hot, somewhat dry with good air circulation. A 3-year rotation of your crops can also help avoid pathogen buildup in the soil.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think you have anything to worry about Andrew. You'll get new growth and all the leaves you see now will die and drop off. Plants don't like getting transplanted and it's probably just the shock of getting adjusted to their new home.

BTW, I never top mine; they branch out and do whatever they want to do. Some types, like cayennes can get a little tall and jalapenos with their heavier fruit get wobbly, so those get staked.

You and your peppers will be just fine.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay at least 6' away from the bees. ;)

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Man I need my lavender plants to be like that!

My lavender won't be blooming until July.

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking good! Your going to have a great crop this year :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterNerd said:
    Looking good! Your going to have a great crop this year :)

Thanks Allan, hot peppers typically do ok for me. I got the bell peppers and Ancho peppers in buckets to try give them a better chance.

I've used buckets before with Peppers and they did great. With as many peppers that you are planting I would recommend getting a food drier so you can dry them and use them through out the year.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

edited April 2020

@WaterNerd said:
    I've used buckets before with Peppers and they did great. With as many peppers that you are planting I would recommend getting a food drier so you can dry them and use them through out the year.

That’s the plan. I have a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer. I want to grind some to make my own chili powder also. Starting to acclimate the squash and cucumbers this week also.

Do you dehydrate or freeze?

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Wife is out pulling weeds while the ground is damp from the recent rains. The same rains filled my bin of finished compost so I poured out the rich compost tea on the roses and trees while smoking my pipe.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

snowed here a bit while the plum trees were flowering. Not been bee-friendly weather, hope the flowers are wind pollinated.

@WaterNerd you plant that garlic and onions last fall?

@Heavysetrapier said:
    @WaterNerd you plant that garlic and onions last fall?

Yes I planted them in October 👍🏻

— Abraham Lincoln

edited May 2020

We finally decided on a tree to plant where the nectarine tree was.

It’s a Bearss Line Tree. It’s on the small side but in a few years should be as tall as the wall 👍🏻

Post edited by WaterNerd on
    — Abraham Lincoln

Allen have you done passion fruit vines? I’m having no luck getting them to germinate

I haven’t tried passion fruit before. I would check your hardness zone to see if they will grow in your area. Good luck 👍🏻

— Abraham Lincoln

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

They grow like crazy all over my property. Apparently having the possums and raccoons eat them and defecate the seed promotes germination.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

We planted the top of a pineapple in the garden once which grew readily. The rats loved that, they didn't leave anything for us.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

I> @TX98Z28 said:

@WaterNerd, Yep thats one hell of a cigar plant you got growing. I believe thats the large variety, I had one in a bed but it died, the smaller less invasive variety planted the deer pillage, along with the roses and everything else. The one on the deck I'll take a picture of tomorrow to show the difference.

I can’t believe it took me this long as I forgot but here is my smaller variety of the cigar plant on the deck. It almost died a couple times but is doing well now. I can’t put it in a bed or the deer will mow it down, at least they quite eating the roses. The other plants by the cigar plant are 4 mountain laurel’s, firecracker rose, South Africa rose, 2 Westerland roses, a Durante and 2 other roses. They all need to get planted soon.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.