Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @silvermouse Your garden looks great!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Allan. No fertilizer, just shredded leaves, lawn clippings, and kitchen waste. Thanks to an errant lawn care company spraying our lawn by accident with herbicide and pre-emergent weed barrier I can't use the grass clippings this summer. I used to haul marsh grass and seaweed from the beach but the Natural Resources officers now forbid removing it from the beach so I have to buy straw or salt hay for mulch this summer.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG now I know I am not the only one that hates all things gardening. Not that my hat is not off to the people that keep us alive. But I just hate it. Oh yeah have a nice weekend. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Wife pulled weeds out of the garden and I've got a load in the composter.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    nice looking potatoes. If you haven't had some already you are going to love how much better they taste compared to the normal store-bought.
  • Options
    look at all that green. Good looking garden. Yard bunnies ate a lot of our flower plantings and dill that wasn't fenced in. They are so tame and cute though so I don't mind too much as long as they don't get into the vegetables. All our neighbors have tightly manicured weedless yards, they look unnaturally lifeless. 

What are the white umbrels in the swale in the upper right, elderberry?
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    look at all that green. Good looking garden. Yard bunnies ate a lot of our flower plantings and dill that wasn't fenced in. They are so tame and cute though so I don't mind too much as long as they don't get into the vegetables. All our neighbors have tightly manicured weedless yards, they look unnaturally lifeless. 

What are the white umbrels in the swale in the upper right, elderberry?
    That's garlic and sugar snaps. I'm going to plant more radishes and chard today.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All our wild Rhodendron are blooming. Most are 10-15 ft tall.  
  • Options

got the garden mulched with some salt hay.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only growing 3 pepper plants this year but have some progress on them. We have a Mammoth Jalapeño that just finished flowering and now have half a dozen tiny peppers starting, a Cajun Belle that has one small bell pepper and is flowering again for another round, and an Anaheim that is growing huge but no fruit yet. 

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ What a proud papa! :)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's your crop of goatheads?
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparse this year. Maybe we’ll have a better crop in 2020.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One days harvest. Tomatoes, green beans, summer squash, and cukes.  Chard, carrots, beets, radishes, and two kinds of basil are in. Winter squash, and second planting of basil, sugar snaps and chard are direct seeded or transplanted. I'll start flats of collards, kale, and radicco at the end of this week. So nice to go out to the garden and get fresh spices and veggies. 
    Rodger, Dawn is drooling over all the fresh veggies!!!!
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    wish my tomatoes were red instead of green, they're large but just sitting there enjoying themselves.
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wish my tomatoes were red instead of green, they're large but just sitting there enjoying themselves.
    Why don't you make fried green tomatoes? Good eating.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    Thanks, good idea; haven't had fried green tomatoes in decades.
  • Options
    Noticed some damage to my ghost pepper plants and look what I found
    Amazing how much damage they can do in just a few days
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    didn't know they went after peppers too.
  • Options
    I know right... I learned the hard way last year. I didn't keep an eye on the pepper plants and lost 2 mature plants in 1 week. Now every couple of days I look through the plants to see if I have any
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    What kind of moth would those become?
  • Options
    Great question... Just looked it up. Moth is called the Manduca Link
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaterNerd said:
    Great question... Just looked it up. Moth is called the Manduca Link
    Oh, yeah. Manduca Link. I know him. I used to shave his father....  😜
  • Options
    "Captive-bred hornworms fed on an artificial diet are often given to insectivorous exotic animals, such as certain reptiles, fish and small mammals. They are preferred over wild-collected hornworms, which may bioaccumulate poisonous substances found in dietary plants. Hornworms, though originally bred for laboratories, are also farmed for this purpose.[5][6][7] They are often sold already-packed into pods that include everything the larvae need, including food. Care is relatively easy, and animals seem to relish their bright color and flavor.[8]"

There's a new income stream for you, Allan.
  • Options
    One year I had quite a few hornworms on my tomatoes. A catbird used to come over when I was working in the garden and I would throw it earthworms; threw it a hornworm and it just looked at me and flew off....