Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaterNerd said:
    Just heard that a new pepper will be hitting the market soon called "Dragon's Breath". Suppose to be the hottest pepper ever :)

If anyone knows where I can get some seeds please let me know.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/news/eat/dragon-s-breath-chile-pepper-even-hotter-carolina-reaper/051817  

There is also a report out that this pepper can kill you. It is a hybrid that came about because of an accidental and unanticipated result of looking for a hybrid flower.
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WaterNerd, Your cigar plant is going bonkers back behind the ghost pepper in the first pic, even got the purple on the ends of the blooms, mine don't do well, deer keep eating them and everything else, got another in a pot on the deck but it looks nothing like your cigar plant.

Your all your plants look great man! 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff there Allan @WaterNerd
    Your peppers look great, I'm sure they are loving the heat wave. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait. You guys are into summer already??
    Dammit. I definitely live in the wrong place.

People say this place is hell, but hell is warmer and dryer.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience said:

No, your in the right place. I'd gladly trade weather with you or for warmer and dryer. 97 here today heat index 111, no wind or breeze. It only gets worse, this is just the beginning. It's the super high humidity and no wind mixed with the heat that kills me.  
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    The other day, we spent a couple hours cleaning up the storm damage.
    Branches of trees everywhere and water all over.

This is freakin June! 
    The monsoons are supposed to have let up by now.
    And it's barely hitting 60 degrees.

It's like someone was making the earth and went, let's make a place so freakin wet, only the crap they don't want to grow, will.
    Oh and make it so that the summer weather is just warm enough to make some things grow, but not the good stuff, like watermelon, citrus and all of that.
    But apples, lots of apples will grow. But they will hardly get any, cause the elk and deer will eat them all.
    They will live on Salmon, venison and apples.

Sounds great, at first. 
    But 150-170 days into the rain, you'll be like "Crap! Make it stop!!" 

Even the weather man is like, "I got nothing. More rain. Sorry."
    Or you ask Alexa or Google, What's the forcast for tomorrow?
    And the response is, "What, are you stupid? It's gonna rain again. Dumbass."
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    @WaterNerd, Your cigar plant is going bonkers back behind the ghost pepper in the first pic, even got the purple on the ends of the blooms, mine don't do well, deer keep eating them and everything else, got another in a pot on the deck but it looks nothing like your cigar plant.

Your all your plants look great man! 
    Thank you. I took a class on Plant Cutting back in 2015 at UCR and this was my first project. It has done great here and the humming birds just love it. Funny thing is I never know it was called a Cigar Plant :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    jgibv said:
    Good stuff there Allan @WaterNerd
    Your peppers look great, I'm sure they are loving the heat wave. 

Already getting flowers on several of the Ghost pepper plants. I'm taking per-orders on fresh pods (no charge of course just enjoy sharing what I grow). If your interested PM me and I'll put you on the list :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    New John Deere Eco friendly lawn mower for millennials.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    0patience said:

No, your in the right place. I'd gladly trade weather with you or for warmer and dryer. 97 here today heat index 111, no wind or breeze. It only gets worse, this is just the beginning. It's the super high humidity and no wind mixed with the heat that kills me.  
    Before you trade anything come visit Reno in the summer. 103 with 0 percent humidity literally burns the nose when you inhale. I would take Texas in July over Reno in August (I have been to Tx in July)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    @WaterNerd, Yep thats one hell of a cigar plant you got growing. I believe thats the large variety, I had one in a bed but it died, the smaller less invasive variety planted the deer pillage, along with the roses and everything else. The one on the deck I'll take a picture of tomorrow to show the difference.

@0patience, I hear you on the never ending rain. Last year we had the 1000 year flood and the house nearly flooded, with that in mind I take back the trade.

@Wylaff, Im no stranger to 100+ with extra low to no humidity. Uncle has a farm in NW Colorado in the middle of know where, been up there during harvest in July. Was 109+ one year, I couldn't put on enough lotion or shoot enough saline up my nose.   
  • Options
    Today, they tip toed through the garden.
    Well, not so much, they destroyed all kinds of stuff. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had venison on fried dough just yesterday, delicious!
  • Options

Looks lonely.
  • Options
    @0patience, And I thought the possum king I shot last night was a problem…well that and the next door neighbor yelled "@sshole" at me after I pumped 4 heavy 12ga. loads of #4 into him, she probably spilled her wine all over the place  :D

Man those elk are just crazy and their like 10ft. away from your truck! Good thing ruttin season is over.
  • Options
  • Options
    jd50ae said:
    Hoping to grow a few of these next year. If you know anyone that has seeds for sale let me know :)
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great, Allan.

My experience planting peppers this year can be best described as "failure to launch."  My daughter has taken over my infrastructure for her basil, mint, and pea plants.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Those basil plants are a first for me. Going to dry up a bunch so I can use them later. They taste great fresh. Made some homemade marinara sauce that was amazing. Even the kids liked it :)
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    Check out caprese, add a cracker and salami and you'll thank me later. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought we were friends, Allan.  :s
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    My oleander is blooming nicely and the fragrance is astounding. 

Hope you washed your hands good!!! That plant/shrub is extremely poisonous. Looks nice though. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    peter4jc said:
    My oleander is blooming nicely and the fragrance is astounding. 

Hope you washed your hands good!!! That plant/shrub is extremely poisonous. Looks nice though. 
    So I've been told.  I find that eating a couple blossoms gets me a great buzz w/o killing me.  ;-)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allan was kind enough to send me a selection of pepper seeds early this spring and I have managed to kill every one of them except this single ghost pepper. The Sketchy cigar stand is there for scale. Maybe I will just stick with cactus.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    You're doing better than me, Randy. I took a page from the Metallica album "Kill Em All."
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    Allan was kind enough to send me a selection of pepper seeds early this spring and I have managed to kill every one of them except this single ghost pepper. The Sketchy cigar stand is there for scale. Maybe I will just stick with cactus.
    Keep at it Randy. You just need one :) Keep it watered and in full sun. Try to keep the bugs off of it and you should been good. They are slow growers
    — Abraham Lincoln