Home General Discussion

Cigars and Bourbon

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
Happy Monday fellas. I'm heading to a bourbon tasting event at my B&M and I'm trying to decide what cigars to bring. I'm looking for cigar suggestions that pair well with small batch bourbons. Any ideas?

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    It depends on the kind of bourbon. Some are made of more wheat and some are rye. Per Kentucky state law the bourbon has to have 51% rye. Bourbon is kind of American whisky. I just had a various bourbon tasting session yesterday. Some of them are more sweet, some more tangy, some more full bodied. Pairing is tricky and your personal taste. However, my suggestion would be take a spicy and sweet Maduro, slight spicy, tangy Cameroon or a full bodied chocolaty, coca, woody Habano 2000. Here is a picture of my cigar/whisky/bourbon tasting from yesterday: Photobucket
    y2pascoe:
    Happy Monday fellas. I'm heading to a bourbon tasting event at my B&M and I'm trying to decide what cigars to bring. I'm looking for cigar suggestions that pair well with small batch bourbons. Any ideas?
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    rzaman:
    It depends on the kind of bourbon. Some are made of more wheat and some are rye. Per Kentucky state law the bourbon has to have 51% rye. Bourbon is kind of American whisky. I just had a various bourbon tasting session yesterday. Some of them are more sweet, some more tangy, some more full bodied. Pairing is tricky and your personal taste. However, my suggestion would be take a spicy and sweet Maduro, slight spicy, tangy Cameroon or a full bodied chocolaty, coca, woody Habano 2000. Here is a picture of my cigar/whisky/bourbon tasting from yesterday: Photobucket
    y2pascoe:
    I am a bourbon fan, and I can honestly say that I've never had a premium bourbon that did not pair well with a premium cigar. Take your favorite cigar and enjoy.

Of the bourbons pictured, the Russel's Reserve would be my choice. I usually have a bottle of it in my cabinet, but I prefer 4 Roses single barrel and Woodford Reserve to all of these pictured.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Woodford reserve is great and I have never had a cigar that did not go well with it !
    JDH, you are from the bourbon land. I agree Woodford is a very good one. What about Blanton? I like Blanton. I never been to Kentucky but want to visit Woodford plant. I heard that there are many micro bourbon makers in Kentucky. Some of them are even better than many established brands but you have to buy them directly from them because they don’t sell it through the commercial marketing distributor. Is it true?
    JDH:
    rzaman:
    y2pascoe:
    I am a bourbon fan, and I can honestly say that I've never had a premium bourbon that did not pair well with a premium cigar. Take your favorite cigar and enjoy.

Of the bourbons pictured, the Russel's Reserve would be my choice. I usually have a bottle of it in my cabinet, but I prefer 4 Roses single barrel and Woodford Reserve to all of these pictured.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Here's a good article about bourbons
    Bourbon
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    rzaman:
    y2pascoe:
    Law requires 51% corn, not rye. The corn is where the sweetness comes from.
    Thanks for the clarification Kevin. I also learned a lot about bourbon from Beatnic’s article, thanks.
    kevin1323:
    rzaman:
    y2pascoe:
    Law requires 51% corn, not rye. The corn is where the sweetness comes from.
    beatnic:
    Here's a good article about bourbons
    Bourbon
    The little town I live in is noted on the map in that article; it's just to the right of the Woodford Distillery.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first learned of single barrel bourbon I thought I was really on to something. Then, after a rude awakening, I learned that a single barrel bourbon purchased today can taste a lot different than another bottle of the same Brand's single barrel purchased a month or two later. My first purchase was great. My second (obviously from a different barrel) was horrible.

I learned that 'single barrel' means just that. There's no guarantee that a bottle from a different barrel will taste the same as another. From that bad experience I learned to buy 'small batch' rather than 'single barrel'.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I have a pretty large collection of bourbon, and I've never never met a cigar and bourbon that didnt like one another. However, if you are doing a bourbon TASTING, then I would highly recommend not smoking anything while you are tasting. Once you've chosen your bourbon of choice, choose your favorite med-full bodied smoke, and enjoy. Since bourbon already has sweet and spice to it, I generally like a cigar with dark cocoa flavors, and creamy texture to balance it out.

my 0.02
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    As much as I love a good Scotch, my heart truly belongs to Bourbon, and in my experience it actually pairs better with a lot of cigars than Scotch. Hell, family on my mother's side actually worked for Stitzel Weller in its heyday! Wheated Bourbon really does it for me. The softer, sweeter character is really what makes the difference. I've learned a lot from a few blogs, one of my favorites being Sour Mash Manifesto. Jason does really great video reviews.
    jlmarta:
    When I first learned of single barrel bourbon I thought I was really on to something. Then, after a rude awakening, I learned that a single barrel bourbon purchased today can taste a lot different than another bottle of the same Brand's single barrel purchased a month or two later. My first purchase was great. My second (obviously from a different barrel) was horrible.

I learned that 'single barrel' means just that. There's no guarantee that a bottle from a different barrel will taste the same as another. From that bad experience I learned to buy 'small batch' rather than 'single barrel'.
    It all depends on who's making the Bourbon, too. All the bourbon used to make 4 Roses "single barrel " comes from barrels stored in the most prized position of the warehouse; in the center of the "barn" where the bourbon will travel the most into and out of the oak. The Master distiller decides which barrels to place in these center racks, because this is where the best bourbon will be produced. FYI: the bourbon used to produce "small batch" offerings are almost exclusively taken from barrels in the center of the warehouse, if the Distiller is trying to offer the very best they can produce. Because of these practices, I've never had the flavor change very much from barrel to barrel with 4 Roses, and I prefer it to their "small batch" offerings because the "small batch" is the Distillers idea of a good bourbon, wheras (if stored properly and for the right amount of time) the single barrel is already there.
    JDH:
    jlmarta:

It all depends on who's making the Bourbon, too. All the bourbon used to make 4 Roses "single barrel " comes from barrels stored in the most prized position of the warehouse; in the center of the "barn" where the bourbon will travel the most into and out of the oak. The Master distiller decides which barrels to place in these center racks, because this is where the best bourbon will be produced. FYI: the bourbon used to produce "small batch" offerings are almost exclusively taken from barrels in the center of the warehouse, if the Distiller is trying to offer the very best they can produce. Because of these practices, I've never had the flavor change very much from barrel to barrel with 4 Roses, and I prefer it to their "small batch" offerings because the "small batch" is the Distillers idea of a good bourbon, wheras (if stored properly and for the right amount of time) the single barrel is already there.

Placement of the barrel may be a factor but that doesn't change the fact that one barrel's contents can taste quite different from a neighboring barrel. When a barrel is deemed worthy of 'single barrel' status it only means the Master Distiller thinks it tastes good - not that it tastes just like the contents of its neighbor.
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    jlmarta:

Placement of the barrel may be a factor but that doesn't change the fact that one barrel's contents can taste quite different from a neighboring barrel. When a barrel is deemed worthy of 'single barrel' status it only means the Master Distiller thinks it tastes good - not that it tastes just like the contents of its neighbor.
    Some distillers choose their offerings for "single barrel" from storage outside the "sweet spot" of the center racks. Some Distillers will move their barrels around while they age. The best barrels will usually be allowed to remain in the center of the warehouse for the duration of their aging. If there is a wide swing in flavor from one "single barrel" offering to another, it must be from the aging process, and where it was stored. Those distillers who want their burbons to be as consistent as possible will age all their "single barrel" bourbons in the same area of the warehouse, or will rotate them the in the same way.

"...When a barrel is deemed worthy of 'single barrel' status it only means the Master Distiller thinks it tastes good ..."

This is actually a better description of how "small batch" bourbons are created. A small batch bourbon is blended by the Master Distiller from the single barrels that he chooses in order to create the best posssible blend of that years offering. It's his idea of what the best should be, wheras, I am convinced that if the best is kept in the optimal place to age before release, then THAT represents the best of that years offering. All taste is, of course, subjective, but I consistently prefer single barrel to small batch bourbons from the distilleries I choose to patronize.
    JDH:
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    jlmarta:

Some distillers choose their offerings for "single barrel" from storage outside the "sweet spot" of the center racks. Some Distillers will move their barrels around while they age. The best barrels will usually be allowed to remain in the center of the warehouse for the duration of their aging. If there is a wide swing in flavor from one "single barrel" offering to another, it must be from the aging process, and where it was stored. Those distillers who want their burbons to be as consistent as possible will age all their "single barrel" bourbons in the same area of the warehouse, or will rotate them the in the same way.

"...When a barrel is deemed worthy of 'single barrel' status it only means the Master Distiller thinks it tastes good ..."

This is actually a better description of how "small batch" bourbons are created. A small batch bourbon is blended by the Master Distiller from the single barrels that he chooses in order to create the best posssible blend of that years offering. It's his idea of what the best should be, wheras, I am convinced that if the best is kept in the optimal place to age before release, then THAT represents the best of that years offering. All taste is, of course, subjective, but I consistently prefer single barrel to small batch bourbons from the distilleries I choose to patronize.

Well, I'm happy that we've each found the kind of bourbon that pleases us, individually. I'm still not convinced, however, that a bottle of Old Fartknocker single barrel purchased today will be as good as one purchased a couple months ago. I stand a better chance of consistency with small batch for the very reasons you've outlined - mainly the blending of certain single barrels.

Thanks for the give-and-take, JDH, I've enjoyed it.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    jlmarta:

Well, I'm happy that we've each found the kind of bourbon that pleases us, individually. I'm still not convinced, however, that a bottle of Old Fartknocker single barrel purchased today will be as good as one purchased a couple months ago. I stand a better chance of consistency with small batch for the very reasons you've outlined - mainly the blending of certain single barrels.

THIS right here is what this forum is all about and makes it so special! The give and take and building on one another to learn and enjoy all things here... thanks guys for the information and brilliant dialogue!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    jlmarta:

You DO stand a better chance of consistency with small batch bourbons IF the distillers don't market their single barrel to a "premium bourbon" crowd; (a good comaprison would be to consider short-filler cigars vs long filler; some distillers are marketing their single barrel like a short-filler, without concern for consistency, while others are marketing it like a well aged Padron '26). I'm sticking to the ones who shoot for quality and consistency with their single barrel offerings. FYI - 4 Roses will not use genetically altered corn in their bourbon. Neither will Wild Turkey.
    90+ Irishman:
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    jlmarta:

THIS right here is what this forum is all about and makes it so special! The give and take and building on one another to learn and enjoy all things here... thanks guys for the information and brilliant dialogue!
    Well, I dunno about brilliant, but thanks for the compliment!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Haven't been much of a Bourbon drinker since I barfed it up as a teen. Because of this thread, I decided last night to give it another try since I had a 1/2 bottle of Makers Mark in the cabinet for a couple of years. Actually I kind of got into the flavor and enjoyed it. What Bourbons do you recommend JDH and JLMarta? You both seem to know alot about them and I find that personal recommendations work out alot better for me.

For example I read that George T. Stagg is the #1 whiskey in the world according to some magazine, yet I read somewhere else that it tastes charred and sharp which probably wouldn't work for me. (I've never tried it so I wouldn't know)
    JDH:
    90+ Irishman:
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    jlmarta:

Well, I dunno about brilliant, but thanks for the compliment!
    No problem boss, you're A #1 in my book ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Roberto99:
    Haven't been much of a Bourbon drinker since I barfed it up as a teen. Because of this thread, I decided last night to give it another try since I had a 1/2 bottle of Makers Mark in the cabinet for a couple of years. Actually I kind of got into the flavor and enjoyed it. What Bourbons do you recommend JDH and JLMarta? You both seem to know alot about them and I find that personal recommendations work out alot better for me.

For example I read that George T. Stagg is the #1 whiskey in the world according to some magazine, yet I read somewhere else that it tastes charred and sharp which probably wouldn't work for me. (I've never tried it so I wouldn't know)
    There are 5 Bourbons that, at any given time, you will find in my cabinet:

4 Roses sigle barrel
    WoodFord Reserve
    Russels Reserve
    Eagle Rare
    Elijah Craig 18 year
    JDH:
    Roberto99:

4 Roses sigle barrel
    WoodFord Reserve
    Russels Reserve
    Eagle Rare
    Elijah Craig 18 year
    Eagle Rare is AMAZING, ESPECIALLY for the price! I can get a 750 out here for under $20... love it.
    Yep, I tend to shoot for the best tasting bourbon at the best price. There's only one bourbon on that list of mine that's over $40.00 - the Elijah Craig 18 year, but you can get the 10 year for around $34.00.

FYI - the Eagle Rare is a Buffalo Trace bourbon and is distilled about 17 miles from my house. Their tours are really something, too.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I usually keep Buffalo Trace and Woodford. I'll check Eagle Rare when I go shopping again.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    JDH:
    Roberto99:

4 Roses sigle barrel
    WoodFord Reserve
    Russels Reserve
    Eagle Rare
    Elijah Craig 18 year
    Very cool! Just what I am looking for. Thanks!
    bbass2:
    I usually keep Buffalo Trace and Woodford. I'll check Eagle Rare when I go shopping again.
    That Woodford is just too damn smooth, one of the best bourbons for the money you can buy, IMO. If you like Vodka, the Buffalo Trace distillery makes one called "Rain" - it's very nice.
    JDH:
    bbass2:
    That Woodford is just too damn smooth, one of the best bourbons for the money you can buy, IMO. If you like Vodka, the Buffalo Trace distillery makes one called "Rain" - it's very nice.

I agree with the Woodford and Russel's Reserve. I wasn't impressed with Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, or Eagle Rare. Maker's Mark is good but is a wheated bourbon and is a little light for my taste. I prefer a little more body. I also keep a bottle of Booker's on hand. I like to sip it from a snifter or a whiskey glass like it was a brandy because, in spite of its proof, it's just so damned smooth.
    Woodford Reserve is damn good but the Woodfrod Reserve Master's Collection is even better. It has a very distinctive vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg taste with butter Toffee aroma.
    JDH:
    bbass2:
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I had a friend who was just getting into bourbon so I suggested Woodford. He called me up one night about a week later after he bought a bottle and I noticed how he was much more talkative than normal. Being the nice person I am I called him up the next day to see what was up. He said he felt like crap, didn't remember calling me, and slept on the bathroom floor.
    rzaman:
    Woodford Reserve is damn good but the Woodfrod Reserve Master's Collection is even better. It has a very distinctive vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg taste with butter Toffee aroma.

I'd very much like to try the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection. I've read a relatively unflattering review of batch 5, though, and the 2011 collection is a pair of rye whiskeys priced at around $100 for the pair. Just a little pricey for my budget. Oh, woe is me......