Home General Discussion

Cigars and Bourbon

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I am a son of the bourbon. No doubt. That being said... when I smoke, I drink rum. Period.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jlmarta:
    rzaman:
    Woodford Reserve is damn good but the Woodfrod Reserve Master's Collection is even better. It has a very distinctive vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg taste with butter Toffee aroma.

I'd very much like to try the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection. I've read a relatively unflattering review of batch 5, though, and the 2011 collection is a pair of rye whiskeys priced at around $100 for the pair. Just a little pricey for my budget. Oh, woe is me......
    I'm with you on the price point. I'm of the opinion that once you go over $45 for 750 ml, the ratio of value to quality just drops off a cliff. Sure, the high dollar bourbons are exceptional, but I've yet to find one that I think is REALLY that much better than any of the ones I listed. As a general rule, I just won't go over that $45- $50 price point. (Having said that, I've got a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 24 year old in my cabinet that only comes out for VERY special occasions). If you've not heard of it, do a google search.

Also agree with you about the Bulleit, and Makers is just too sweet for my taste.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    jlmarta:
    rzaman:
    Woodford Reserve is damn good but the Woodfrod Reserve Master's Collection is even better. It has a very distinctive vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg taste with butter Toffee aroma.

I'd very much like to try the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection. I've read a relatively unflattering review of batch 5, though, and the 2011 collection is a pair of rye whiskeys priced at around $100 for the pair. Just a little pricey for my budget. Oh, woe is me......
    I'm with you on the price point. I'm of the opinion that once you go over $45 for 750 ml, the ratio of value to quality just drops off a cliff. Sure, the high dollar bourbons are exceptional, but I've yet to find one that I think is REALLY that much better than any of the ones I listed. As a general rule, I just won't go over that $45- $50 price point. (Having said that, I've got a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 24 year old in my cabinet that only comes out for VERY special occasions). If you've not heard of it, do a google search.

Also agree with you about the Bulleit, and Makers is just too sweet for my taste.

Right on! I have to really talk to myself about springing for a bottle of Booker's. My first was gifted to me by our two sons who split the $60 cost. Since then it's an argument between me, myself, and I over whether to buy another. I currently have about 3/4 of a 750 left and, like you, it only comes out for special occasions. But My, My, that 126 proof is soooo smooth....
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    JDH:
    jlmarta:
    rzaman:

I'm familiar with Pappy 15, 20 and 23 year...and I love them all.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I would like to know your expert opinion about Bookers. I have this bottle for a while but never opened it. Thanks! Photobucket
    JDH:
    Roberto99:
    Haven't been much of a Bourbon drinker since I barfed it up as a teen. Because of this thread, I decided last night to give it another try since I had a 1/2 bottle of Makers Mark in the cabinet for a couple of years. Actually I kind of got into the flavor and enjoyed it. What Bourbons do you recommend JDH and JLMarta? You both seem to know alot about them and I find that personal recommendations work out alot better for me.

For example I read that George T. Stagg is the #1 whiskey in the world according to some magazine, yet I read somewhere else that it tastes charred and sharp which probably wouldn't work for me. (I've never tried it so I wouldn't know)
    There are 5 Bourbons that, at any given time, you will find in my cabinet:

4 Roses sigle barrel
    WoodFord Reserve
    Russels Reserve
    Eagle Rare
    Elijah Craig 18 year
    I agree with you but Master's Collection is exceptional. I have one bottle and enjoy it during special occasion. There is a huge difference in taste with the regular Woodford. Photobucket
    JDH:
    jlmarta:
    rzaman:

• y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    rzaman:
    I would like to know your expert opinion about Bookers. I have this bottle for a while but never opened it. Thanks! Photobucket
    JDH:
    Roberto99:
    Haven't been much of a Bourbon drinker since I barfed it up as a teen. Because of this thread, I decided last night to give it another try since I had a 1/2 bottle of Makers Mark in the cabinet for a couple of years. Actually I kind of got into the flavor and enjoyed it. What Bourbons do you recommend JDH and JLMarta? You both seem to know alot about them and I find that personal recommendations work out alot better for me.

For example I read that George T. Stagg is the #1 whiskey in the world according to some magazine, yet I read somewhere else that it tastes charred and sharp which probably wouldn't work for me. (I've never tried it so I wouldn't know)

4 Roses sigle barrel
    WoodFord Reserve
    Russels Reserve
    Eagle Rare
    Elijah Craig 18 year
    Oooh....I love Bookers! I got about a third of a bottle left in a cabinet at my B&M.
    rzaman:
    JDH:
    Roberto99:

4 Roses sigle barrel
    WoodFord Reserve
    Russels Reserve
    Eagle Rare
    Elijah Craig 18 year
    I can honestly say that the only time I've had Bookers was in Louisville about 2 years ago while engaging in a tasting of too many offerings. I really don't remember it, but my notes recomended that I pick up a bottle...which I have not done...what can I say?
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    The only time I've done a tasting is with a sampler pack of all the Jim Beam small batch bottles. I didn't care for Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek was good, and I really liked Bookers and Bakers.
    bbass2:
    The only time I've done a tasting is with a sampler pack of all the Jim Beam small batch bottles. I didn't care for Basil Hayden's, Knob Creek was good, and I really liked Bookers and Bakers.
    Louisville has something called the Bourbon Trail; a series of watering holes downtown where you can go to sample all the bourbons made in KY. The idea is that each establishment (all within walking distance of each other) will bring out a sampling of 6 to 10 bourbons on a little tray, and you get a passport book that gets stamped at each place. These bars are all classy, (most have live music inside from jazz and standards to classic rock and country), and are scattered atround an open street three block long pedestrian "mall" that also has live venues - outdoor bands playing with lots of entertainment going on year -round. We spent the night in one of the hotels downtown and played till we couldn't anymore.
    rzaman:

I'm no expert by any means but I really like Booker's. I'm working on my second bottle and it's lovely. For all that 128.6 proof, it's so smooth I prefer to sip it from a snifter or a whiskey glass (with or without stones). I heartily recommend that you open it and see for yourself.
    rzaman:
    I agree with you but Master's Collection is exceptional. I have one bottle and enjoy it during special occasion. There is a huge difference in taste with the regular Woodford. Photobucket

I can't quite make out the details on the label. Is that bottle from the 2010 offering? Or earlier? I believe the 2010 was referred to as Batch 5, wasn't it? Thanks.
    It is from 2010 released. I don't know about the batch. They will release this line until 2018.
    jlmarta:
    rzaman:

I can't quite make out the details on the label. Is that bottle from the 2010 offering? Or earlier? I believe the 2010 was referred to as Batch 5, wasn't it? Thanks.
    I will open it tonight and let you know my thought. This is un-filtered bourbon, at least that what I read from different reviews. I will try both with and without stones. Thanks for the information jlmarta.
    jlmarta:
    rzaman:

I'm no expert by any means but I really like Booker's. I'm working on my second bottle and it's lovely. For all that 128.6 proof, it's so smooth I prefer to sip it from a snifter or a whiskey glass (with or without stones). I heartily recommend that you open it and see for yourself.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Thanks to you guys I am now a bourbon drinker. I picked up several bottles over the past few weeks and am really enjoying them. My favorite by far is the 4 roses single barrel of what I've tried. That is because it is really delicate in flavor, so if you like big flavors this may not be for you.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:

Hoo hoo!! That stuff sounds sublime. Wish I had your bourbon budget.... :-)
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Although not a bourbon, it was offered at the bourbon tasting I went to, Rittenhouse rye whiskey is tops. 100 proof, smooth finish. Check it out.
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Posts: 729
    In Louisville and apparently it is harder to find Pappy here. Go figure.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:

It's absolutely amazing. Much better than the Pappy 23, which cost me a bit more. However, for half the price of this, you can pick up a bottle of Vintage Bourbon 17 year (google it) that is absolutely loaded with complexities and amazingly smooth.
    Rob1110:
    jlmarta:

It's absolutely amazing. Much better than the Pappy 23, which cost me a bit more. However, for half the price of this, you can pick up a bottle of Vintage Bourbon 17 year (google it) that is absolutely loaded with complexities and amazingly smooth.

I shall certainly look into it. Thanks for the info, kind sir. The name, alone, is sorta generic-sounding and wouldn't have prompted me to investigate.
    The Whiskey Bible awards for 2012 list two of my favorite Bourbons as award winners; Four Roses Single Barrel, and Elijah Craig 18 year. If you enjoy a little bourbon from time to time, I strongly suggest picking up one of these two; they're both readily avaliable (unlike many of the other bourbons listed) and both are moderately priced.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    OH OH OH, this is my thread!!!! Where have you been all my life??? I am a huge fan of bourbon and whiskey with bourbon definitely winning out! (even though I live in TN) My personal opinion is that Woodford Reserve is best thing that God ever allowed to be in liquid form, HOWEVER it is pricey to drink it ALL the time for some of us. I love the Elijah Craig and haven't had the Four Roses, but it is definitely on my radar now. If you are on a budget, (or just saving on your licquor budget to afford better smokes) my choice of an inexpensive bourbon is...(are you ready)...(drum roll)...The Fighting ***. At its price point, you just cant beat it! Plus its got a cool name and picture on the bottle!~ Just my 2 cents...
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Woodford Reserve neat, paired with San lotano maduro or padron 1964 anniversary maduro.

"Long ashes my friends."

• tedaviestedavies Posts: 4
    Four Roses Single Barrel is good
    Woodford Reserve is great and there is a new Woodford Double Oaked (very smokey and oaky notes)

Glad to see someone finally mentioned Pappy earlier:
    the 12yr Van Winkle is great
    the 15yr Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve is better
    the 20yr Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve is BEST
    However the 23yr good but the 20yr & 15yr are far better as bourbons do not require extensive aging such as cognacs do (particularly Louis XIII) but that may be for another thread.

Additionally, Old Weller Antique is good for the money (
    Angel's Envy is relatively new bourbon that is aged in old Port barrels. If you don't check that out, try the new Woodford Double Oaked that came out this March
    mmccartneydc:
    OH OH OH, this is my thread!!!! Where have you been all my life??? I am a huge fan of bourbon and whiskey with bourbon definitely winning out! (even though I live in TN) My personal opinion is that Woodford Reserve is best thing that God ever allowed to be in liquid form, HOWEVER it is pricey to drink it ALL the time for some of us. I love the Elijah Craig and haven't had the Four Roses, but it is definitely on my radar now. If you are on a budget, (or just saving on your licquor budget to afford better smokes) my choice of an inexpensive bourbon is...(are you ready)...(drum roll)...The Fighting ***. At its price point, you just cant beat it! Plus its got a cool name and picture on the bottle!~ Just my 2 cents...
    It blocked it, but was meant to say Fighting Cack, but with an o.
    tedavies:
    Four Roses Single Barrel is good Woodford Reserve is great and there is a new Woodford Double Oaked (very smokey and oaky notes) Glad to see someone finally mentioned Pappy earlier: the 12yr Van Winkle is great the 15yr Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve is better the 20yr Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve is BEST However the 23yr good but the 20yr & 15yr are far better as bourbons do not require extensive aging such as cognacs do (particularly Louis XIII) but that may be for another thread. Additionally, Old Weller Antique is good for the money (
    Wow, haven't seen the Woodford Double Oaked, its definitely on the radar now, thanks tedavies
  • tedaviestedavies Posts: 4
    Here is an article on the product
    http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/16375

Just released this March. Everyone I've spoken with says these same exact words "very smokey and very oaky". This is great since these two characteristics are what I really enjoy in a good bourbon.

Finally tasted it one week ago and thats how I've been describing it, definitely no disappointments here.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Had some Buffalo Trace last night and it was great. I also picked up some Bulleit since I haven't tried that yet. I usually drink my bourbon with an ice cube. Just curious how you guys like to drink it?
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    typically with one of these: image