Options

THE GREAT CCOM FORUM BLEND!!

Comments

• Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Sounds like a great time. Can't wait!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think if we're talking a good size to start out with, well my vote goes to a robusto, reason being that whenever I try out a new cigar I always go for a robusto because I think it tends to be the size that is most indicative of the blend. Not always true, but that reasoning has served me well more times than not.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Well I'm gonna disagree with everyone here and say that this little idea of yours is gonna freakin rock! So being the natural loner that I am I will join in on this venture.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I think if we're talking a good size to start out with, well my vote goes to a robusto, reason being that whenever I try out a new cigar I always go for a robusto because I think it tends to be the size that is most indicative of the blend. Not always true, but that reasoning has served me well more times than not.
    I agree on the robusto being a great place to start. Plus, if our blends sucks ass, it's a relatively short smoke.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I think a robusto or corona makes the most sense for a first out.
  • Options
    Agreed, I think I'd favor a corona gorda a bit more than a corona, but those two would get my vote...maybe we can get two vitolas rolled instead of just one. Alex, what do you think?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Wow... This sounds very interesting. A great idea that I would like to take part of. Are we choosing a size ? If so I say Robusto/Toro.
  • Options
    Right now we're kinda just kicking around some ideas. Eventually I guess we will take a vote on several things, size being one of them. Looks like some good support for robusto and perfecto right now.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the delay. I was so excited about this project, I got on the plane today headed for Nicaragua and have been thinking about it all day. I will be visiting abdel fernandez tomorrow and spending time at his factory where we are going to make this baby. I am going to take a full inventory of his tobacco.

Re: sizes. I was not referring to what sizes we will offer, but rather what size we want to make our sample in. However, upon thinking about it, we should probably just do a toro and if we all love the blend, then we can take votes on multiple sizes etc. I am going to go ahead and set up the first weekly poll now on body.
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    This is the coolest thing I've seen done within any online community I've been a part of.

Alex, thank you for this and everything you do.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    ...I am going to go ahead and set up the first weekly poll now on body.

anybody know what he's referring to with this statement guys? i'm not sure i get the "on body" thing and i just don't want to miss the poll is all.
  • Options
    brc81:
    This is the coolest thing I've seen done within any online community I've been a part of.

Alex, thank you for this and everything you do.
    I second this...Alex, you are the man.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    bacon.jay:
    Alex Svenson:
    ...I am going to go ahead and set up the first weekly poll now on body.

anybody know what he's referring to with this statement guys? i'm not sure i get the "on body" thing and i just don't want to miss the poll is all.
    In the cigar world, body refers to the strength. I'm sure that you've heard of medium or fulll bodied cigars.

So if we are voting on body, my vote goes for medium. That way, if you prefer light it won't be too heavy and if you prefer full, it will be a little light but won't be a turnoff to the less experienced members of the forum.
  • Options
    Some revisions to the original plan.

I am doing away with the size poll. Also, when we nail down the blend, I am going to bring the cigars in as samplers for eveyrone to try. The sampler will include 10 cigars. Five of them will be the actual blend and the other five will each be a puro of each of the tobaccos. For example, one cigar made from all wrapper, one from all binder, one from all filler 1, one from all filler 2 and one from all filler 3. This will enable everyone to taste each component and the overall blend. This will help when we decide what changes we want to make. IE: less filler 1 and more filler 2 or tweaking. It will give you a great look at how each tobacco balances in the blend also. Anyway, let me know if anyone disagrees with this line of thinking.
  • Options
    iwsmith2iwsmith2 Posts: 65
    Brilliant!
  • Options
    Sounds like a great idea but a tad pricey. From what i have read an all wrapper cigar would be quite the drain on the checking account.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    oh yea, i get that. i guess it was a little unclear to me because of the wording. i thought it was some sort of poll site he was going to use. lol
  • Options
    I believe this will be quite an experience for all who participate. Thanks to all who had a hand in making this happen.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Alex Svenson:
    Some revisions to the original plan.

I am doing away with the size poll. Also, when we nail down the blend, I am going to bring the cigars in as samplers for eveyrone to try. The sampler will include 10 cigars. Five of them will be the actual blend and the other five will each be a puro of each of the tobaccos. For example, one cigar made from all wrapper, one from all binder, one from all filler 1, one from all filler 2 and one from all filler 3. This will enable everyone to taste each component and the overall blend. This will help when we decide what changes we want to make. IE: less filler 1 and more filler 2 or tweaking. It will give you a great look at how each tobacco balances in the blend also. Anyway, let me know if anyone disagrees with this line of thinking.
    Sounds like a great idea. I've always wondered how much differences in blending can change a cigars taste.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    How else would we know?

Marvelous concept!

This is going to be a lot of fun.
  • Options
    JFJF Posts: 54

I just wanted to say, I've been silently sitting back and reading these forums for about a year now, but I feel like I just have to participated in this one - this is, hands down, the most awesome thing I've seen a hobby-forum do (except maybe the Nub forum contests, but in this case, everyone's a winner). I'm REALLY interested to try the filler puros; the wrapper always get all the attention and press, but it only makes up a fraction of a given cigar....
  • Options
    Welcome JF, nice to have you with us...I've been here about a year too and it just keeps getting better.
  • Options
    JFJF Posts: 54
    I know I'm jumping the gun by a few weeks here but thoughts on the construction in general - I tend to lean towards a Sumatra wrapper with either a criollio binder or perhaps a natural binder of some sort and then throw a leaf of Piloto into the filler - the idea being to add a little extra peppery spiciness into the blend without overpowering the characteristics of the Sumatra, which seem to me, an admitted novice, to be generally very complex but also subtle.

I'd say you'd want the Piloto to be the Ligero in this blend, but it seems like you'd perhaps still be in danger of overpowering the wrapper? Maybe if the other two filler leaves were both Olors? Or would that make the blend too salty, having two Olors overall?
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I vote for an all Cameroon. :-) Depending on the price, I am in. Have to be carefull with how much I am spending on cigars. I need to slow down. I may have to build a walk in humidor soon. HAHA!
  • Options
    smbrink:
    Sounds like a great idea but a tad pricey. From what i have read an all wrapper cigar would be quite the drain on the checking account.

Dont worry about cost. If I have to, I will supliment some of it. Depends on what tobaccos we choose, but I think I can offer up the 10 pack for under $30.00 depending on taxes. Not looking to earn on this thing, just have fun.
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    smbrink:

Dont worry about cost. If I have to, I will supliment some of it. Depends on what tobaccos we choose, but I think I can offer up the 10 pack for under $30.00 depending on taxes. Not looking to earn on this thing, just have fun.
    Well then Im dd.d..d.down like a cl.cl.cl...cl.clown ch..ch..chc...chchar...charlie br..br..br.brown!!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    What a fantastic idea. We all learn something as we custom blend a new line of cigars for C.Com.
    I don't put as much emphasis on strength anymore as I used to. I find that i can handle any strength cigar. What I like is a cigar with bold flavors. Not infused like flavors but like you find in a Bolivar, or an Oliva Series V, or even an AVO Domaine.
    The flavor of these particular sticks stand out in front of the strength and you don't notice strength as much as you do the amount of flavor the stick is creating.
    JMO
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    smbrink:

And this is why you have such loyal customers.

I'm still busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest but you guys KNOW that I am down with this. Alex this is excellent, great job. I'm glad you're having a little fun on your own forum. :)

I know you used to pop your head up from time to time on the old CL site. You obviously learned a little from the mistakes made over there with a similar idea. I can't wait for this.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Can I ask one question though Alex? Why a Toro? I know personally this is one of my least favorite vitolas. I think after spending way too much of my time on here over the past year or so I can say confidently say that the toro isn't anyone on here's first pick when it comes to vitola. Some cigars obviously are best as a Toro the ESV pops to mind(this is going from what I've been told, as I've only had the toro).

I know this isn't really up for debate just wanted to throw out my two cents and hear from you the logic behind choosing a toro. I'd much rather see a corona, robusto or lancero. Those are always the vitolas I pick up when first trying a cigar.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Ummm...I like toro. Choosing the size doesn't come until week 5 so we have plenty of time to think about it.