Home General Discussion
Options

THE GREAT CCOM FORUM BLEND!!

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Hi Big. I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with you before. Welcome to our little boys club.

The Week 5 Poll Alex referred to earlier was in regards to size of the sampler, not the vitola. AND he has gone on to say that he's not going to do that now. I was really just interested in hearing if there was a philosophy behind Toro or if it was just a personal thing.
  • Options
    SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    Wow! I take the weekend off and look what happens. >< I'm really looking forward to this project!
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Can I ask one question though Alex? Why a Toro? I know personally this is one of my least favorite vitolas. I think after spending way too much of my time on here over the past year or so I can say confidently say that the toro isn't anyone on here's first pick when it comes to vitola. Some cigars obviously are best as a Toro the ESV pops to mind(this is going from what I've been told, as I've only had the toro).

I know this isn't really up for debate just wanted to throw out my two cents and hear from you the logic behind choosing a toro. I'd much rather see a corona, robusto or lancero. Those are always the vitolas I pick up when first trying a cigar.

Sorry, I may not have explained this well so it is my fault. Before we can talk size, we need to nail down the blend. That means that I have to have the samples made, brought in as sampler packs and let you guys smoke them. Once we have a blend that everyone HAS SMOKED and there are no more changes, then we will take a vote and make 5 sizes. The toro is just for the samples that are coming that people can pick up to smoke to leave feebback on the blend. It does not have to be a toro. It could be a robusto or something also. This is not the size the cigar will ultimately be offered in, just the size that all samples will be made in for the tasting purpose. Please confirm this makes sense.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    smbrink:
    Sounds like a great idea but a tad pricey. From what i have read an all wrapper cigar would be quite the drain on the checking account.

Dont worry about cost. If I have to, I will supliment some of it. Depends on what tobaccos we choose, but I think I can offer up the 10 pack for under $30.00 depending on taxes. Not looking to earn on this thing, just have fun.

Just a disclaimer on my previous statement above, we are only talking about sampler pack prices during the blending process. I dont want to make any promises on final price this cigar may be. I have no idea since we are just starting but I am sure it will be something I can offer as an economical blend for the forum guys.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    madurofan:
    Can I ask one question though Alex? Why a Toro? I know personally this is one of my least favorite vitolas. I think after spending way too much of my time on here over the past year or so I can say confidently say that the toro isn't anyone on here's first pick when it comes to vitola. Some cigars obviously are best as a Toro the ESV pops to mind(this is going from what I've been told, as I've only had the toro).

I know this isn't really up for debate just wanted to throw out my two cents and hear from you the logic behind choosing a toro. I'd much rather see a corona, robusto or lancero. Those are always the vitolas I pick up when first trying a cigar.

Sorry, I may not have explained this well so it is my fault. Before we can talk size, we need to nail down the blend. That means that I have to have the samples made, brought in as sampler packs and let you guys smoke them. Once we have a blend that everyone HAS SMOKED and there are no more changes, then we will take a vote and make 5 sizes. The toro is just for the samples that are coming that people can pick up to smoke to leave feebback on the blend. It does not have to be a toro. It could be a robusto or something also. This is not the size the cigar will ultimately be offered in, just the size that all samples will be made in for the tasting purpose. Please confirm this makes sense.
    Makes sense to me, that's how I understood what you said. We may as well roll the dice on the sample vitola, I mean who knows what size is going to work best with this blend. I figure a toro is as good as a petit perfecto is as good as a corona....we'll probably only know once we get a few different sizes to try. Definitely looking forward to this one Alex, thanks for making this happen.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Makes sense to me...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    smbrink:
    Sounds like a great idea but a tad pricey. From what i have read an all wrapper cigar would be quite the drain on the checking account.

Dont worry about cost. If I have to, I will supliment some of it. Depends on what tobaccos we choose, but I think I can offer up the 10 pack for under $30.00 depending on taxes. Not looking to earn on this thing, just have fun.
    .....and it just keeps getting better all the time !!
  • Options
    Your explanation of the toro as a sample size makes sense to me. I like the size too.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Both posts are crystal clear my good man.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I like toro as a choice for the sampler. It gives you plenty of time with each cigar to really get to know that tobacco's character.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Some revisions to the original plan.

I am doing away with the size poll. Also, when we nail down the blend, I am going to bring the cigars in as samplers for eveyrone to try. The sampler will include 10 cigars. Five of them will be the actual blend and the other five will each be a puro of each of the tobaccos. For example, one cigar made from all wrapper, one from all binder, one from all filler 1, one from all filler 2 and one from all filler 3. This will enable everyone to taste each component and the overall blend. This will help when we decide what changes we want to make. IE: less filler 1 and more filler 2 or tweaking. It will give you a great look at how each tobacco balances in the blend also. Anyway, let me know if anyone disagrees with this line of thinking.
    This is an awesome idea, I am so in.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Alex Svenson:

I am doing away with the size poll. Also, when we nail down the blend, I am going to bring the cigars in as samplers for eveyrone to try. The sampler will include 10 cigars. Five of them will be the actual blend and the other five will each be a puro of each of the tobaccos. For example, one cigar made from all wrapper, one from all binder, one from all filler 1, one from all filler 2 and one from all filler 3. This will enable everyone to taste each component and the overall blend. This will help when we decide what changes we want to make. IE: less filler 1 and more filler 2 or tweaking. It will give you a great look at how each tobacco balances in the blend also. Anyway, let me know if anyone disagrees with this line of thinking.
    Um, yeah...we took a vote and decided no aliens, misprinted or otherwise. So, um, yeah I'm gonna have to ask you to go ahead and move yourself as far away from the thread as you can. Yeah.
  • Options
    .. and I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday for that project thing too, so, um, yeah... okay ?
  • Options
    Oh goody, the Office Space reference came through. :D
  • Options
    ... your taking pennies from crippled children !!
    No, that's the jar... I take the pennies from the TRAY, the pennies for everybody.
    Then it's okay..
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Yeah, well , at least I didn't *** Lumbergh.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    kaspera79:
    .. and I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday for that project thing too, so, um, yeah... okay ?
    Did you get the memo?
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    alienmisprint:
    Alex Svenson:

Um, yeah...we took a vote and decided no aliens, misprinted or otherwise. So, um, yeah I'm gonna have to ask you to go ahead and move yourself as far away from the thread as you can. Yeah.
    Yeah, but don't switch from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, cause I'll keep my Swingline stapler because it won't bind up as much, and I'll keep the staples for the Swingline stapler and it'll be okay, but if you guys take my stapler then I'll set the forum on fire...
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    madurofan:

I'm not too picky. I was just curious if you had chosen Toro for any particular reason or just the first one that popped into your mind. Urbs had a good point about the Toro giving you an oppurtunity to get to know the tobacco. I will ask that you don't make it over a 50 or 52 Ring gauge. I just don't dig the big ring gauges anymore.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    yeah I can dig a 50 ring gauge, but I think we will be polling for that later.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when the poll comes out for size, we will vote. till then ... lets let alex do what he is good at.
  • Options
    tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    I've been away the last few days and just catching up...This is a GREAT idea..and for Alex to take the time to really listen to what we have to say, says a lot about him and the company. You really can't get this anywhere else. Can't wait to try the samplers....
  • Options
    tankbonnies:
    I've been away the last few days and just catching up...This is a GREAT idea..and for Alex to take the time to really listen to what we have to say, says a lot about him and the company. You really can't get this anywhere else. Can't wait to try the samplers....
    I'm in the same boat. I was just catching up on my reading and this is an awesome idear.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    when the poll comes out for size, we will vote. till then ... lets let alex do what he is good at.
    I think everyone missed this. Alex said there will be no poll for size. The SIZE poll was about the size of the sampler not the vitola of the cigar. That is why it is being discussed now. He just now said something about voting on the size but thats after the cigar has been blended, tested and perfected. I'll say it one last time. THERE WILL BE NO VOTING FOR THE VITOLA(SIZE, SHAPE) OF THE CIGAR. Unless Alex changes something.

THis is supposed to be a learning experience I was trying to find out if there was a reason he wanted to test with a Toro. Kinda the same idea as George Rico saying he always checks his blends with a lancero.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    popping your head up from the rabble I see maddy? lol.. I'm down with a Toro!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    popping your head up from the rabble I see maddy? lol.. I'm down with a Toro!
    Yea I'm popping up as I can. Hoping things will calm down soon and i can get back to my 20 posts a day ;)
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    He said that we'd vote for Vitola's later. I think we should go for the traditional Torpedo, Toro, Robusto, Corona, but we should name them after people on here, IE the toro could be called Alex. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Looks like I have missed a lot being out for the last several weeks. I'm sure whatever you guys come up with be great! There are some great smokers on here that know there smokes. Can't wait to see the final product.
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    Looks like I have missed a lot being out for the last several weeks. I'm sure whatever you guys come up with be great! There are some great smokers on here that know there smokes. Can't wait to see the final product.
    Hey Andy, nice to hear from you. This project seems like it is going to be a great experience. Who knows, maybe we can come up with a few "must have" cigars.. The last part of this project will be coming up with a name for this special forum members blend.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    with you guys in this, im sure there will be some 'must haves' and with some interesting names