• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    one more for medium-full here.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Same here. Medium-full.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Medium-full. It should still provide a little kick, but not enough to drown out the flavors.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I would vote for the Med./Full body myself.
    Just a thought here, but Alex, would there be any possiblity that this new creation could be offered in two version's so that maybe it could cover two spectrums of the strength / body qualifications.
    Maybe a change in wrappers or something like that?
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    hmmm... this is interesting to me.

heres a thought... if everyone votes for what they think everyone will like then will anyone get what they truly want?

just a thought. I still dont have a problem at all with medium. (though im a full kinda guy)

oh... dont count me twice. HA!
    Well said sir.

I vote full. A kick to the gut, sit down and eat a big lunch before you smoke it ... FULL!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edit: double post
  • Options
    JF:

Not to sound like a parrot, but Medium to Medium-Full would probably be ideal - maybe an oversized vitola could be rolled for the full-body smokers as a compromise (I mean like 6x60, nothing too ridiculous).
    interesting.... i finds that the larger rings of the same blend are usually MILDER than the same blend at a smaller ring....

especially if the prapper leaf tends to be full in body. (corojo, ligero, sun grown)
  • Options
    JFJF Posts: 54
    kuzi16:
    JF:

Not to sound like a parrot, but Medium to Medium-Full would probably be ideal - maybe an oversized vitola could be rolled for the full-body smokers as a compromise (I mean like 6x60, nothing too ridiculous).
    interesting.... i finds that the larger rings of the same blend are usually MILDER than the same blend at a smaller ring....

especially if the prapper leaf tends to be full in body. (corojo, ligero, sun grown)

Sorry, I misspoke (mis-typed, anyway). I meant greater overall strength, rather than fuller body, there. I know, personally, as my tastes have moved towards fuller-bodied cigars, I've tended to move towards stronger sticks with a greater overall smoking time. But I 100% aggree, you're right, sorry about that.

That being said, some fillers are more full-bodied than others (e.g., Piloto > Olor), no? I know they still impart less flavor than the wrapper, but couldn't body be increased in a larger ring gauge by using a richer, more complex filler combo (and of course by using more ligero-versions of those strains)? Obviously, I'm far from a blending expert; I suppose there must be some reason.
  • Options
    bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    I'll vote medium.
  • Options
    SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    Medium-full for me also.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Medium-full here
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    JF:
    kuzi16:
    JF:

Sorry, I misspoke (mis-typed, anyway). I meant greater overall strength, rather than fuller body, there. I know, personally, as my tastes have moved towards fuller-bodied cigars, I've tended to move towards stronger sticks with a greater overall smoking time. But I 100% aggree, you're right, sorry about that.

That being said, some fillers are more full-bodied than others (e.g., Piloto > Olor), no? I know they still impart less flavor than the wrapper, but couldn't body be increased in a larger ring gauge by using a richer, more complex filler combo (and of course by using more ligero-versions of those strains)? Obviously, I'm far from a blending expert; I suppose there must be some reason.
    Yes fillers vary by strength based on the seed and where they are grown. For example, Jalapa filler is a sweet and not as strong where as Esteli is very potent. So if a blender is setting out to make a medium bodied cigar, he will use a different priming from the plant to offset any natural strength the tobacco may have. The strength is largely dependent on which priming the leaf comes from (valado, seco, viso, ligero, corona). That list was bottom to top and the top is stronger. If I find an old article I wronte on blending I will post it so you guys can see. Soooooo back to the original example, if I am making a medium bodied cigar, I might use a ligero jalapa but a seco esteli. These are from two different regions, but will provide the same strength. Hope this helps. This is why picking body first is so important. That way when you guys decide what seed/ region you want your three fillers, I will know what primings to use based on what body we are shooting for.
  • Options
    mattshellmattshell Posts: 34
    Medium please. :-)
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Alex Svenson:
    JF:
    kuzi16:
    JF:

Yes fillers vary by strength based on the seed and where they are grown. For example, Jalapa filler is a sweet and not as strong where as Esteli is very potent. So if a blender is setting out to make a medium bodied cigar, he will use a different priming from the plant to offset any natural strength the tobacco may have. The strength is largely dependent on which priming the leaf comes from (valado, seco, viso, ligero, corona). That list was bottom to top and the top is stronger. If I find an old article I wronte on blending I will post it so you guys can see. Soooooo back to the original example, if I am making a medium bodied cigar, I might use a ligero jalapa but a seco esteli. These are from two different regions, but will provide the same strength. Hope this helps. This is why picking body first is so important. That way when you guys decide what seed/ region you want your three fillers, I will know what primings to use based on what body we are shooting for.

This is already becoming quite educational---thanks Alex
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Medium.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Im super enjoying CT wrappers at this point in my smoking career. I vote Mild/Med with Garen B here! I know Im in the minority, but Im ok with that.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    leonard:
    Medium.
    Good man. :D
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Medium.
  • Options

The Duke here Ladies and Gentlemen

First of all, Alex! You are a one of a kind Guy. I am willing to bet I speak for all of us when I say thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge. It's individuals like you who keep this wonderful obsession of mine burning. 

As far as strength, I believe an opportunity such as this should be enjoyed by the majority and although I am a full-bodied man!!!, I elect a medium bodied cigar as it provides the most compromise for all of us.  

• Options
    Alex Svenson:
    JF:
    kuzi16:
    JF:

i think i may have touched on this in my blending 101 thread. the different regions with the same seed and priming thing was one of the many omissions i had due to me wanting to keep the essay kind of short. If you read through the essay, it is almost implied, but a bit of a leap has to be made.

im glad you pointed it out though. it is easy to overlook.
  • Options
    tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    Medium
  • Options
    Medium-full for me
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I'd like to cast my vote for medium.
  • Options
    Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    one more medium/full to add to the list
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm going to get on board here and say med-full.
  • Options
    robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219
    I'd like to see a full bodied, aromatic smoke
  • Options
    looks like so far that we are gunna end up with a med-full.

• Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    looks to me like medium has the most votes so far, but if you average out everyones choice i think it is med-full.
  • Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    plaidbanana1:
    looks to me like medium has the most votes so far, but if you average out everyones choice i think it is med-full.
    I'm happy either way. Just being able to participate makes it a slam dunk for me no matter what the consensus is.
  • Options
    brsmith21:
    plaidbanana1:
    I'm happy either way. Just being able to participate makes it a slam dunk for me no matter what the consensus is.
    you? participate?

naw, we didnt count YOUR vote.

...just kiddin.

i agree. it may not be a cigar that everyone on the forum loves but it will be a cigar that we all got heard on.