Home General Discussion
Options

What was your first cigar?

Comments

• Options

As others have mentioned, after the Swishers and Backwoods ...

The misssus got me a few nice high end sticks for christmas one year.  I don't remember all of them, but I do remember one ... A Diamond Crown Maximus.    Set a pretty high bar ;)

• Options
    kevster77kevster77 Posts: 68
    I first smoked phillies, but my real cigar that wasn't bought at a gas station was a La Gloria Cubana. I can say it was much better than a phillies blunt.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    brennivin:

As others have mentioned, after the Swishers and Backwoods ...

The misssus got me a few nice high end sticks for christmas one year.  I don't remember all of them, but I do remember one ... A Diamond Crown Maximus.    Set a pretty high bar ;)

Welcome, first of all..brennivin, The Diamond Crown is a nice starter cigar.. no wonder you got hooked.
  • Options
    thebody52thebody52 Posts: 16
    Yeah... me too... the first cigar I smoked was a Philly... thought they were the bomb... first real cigar I had was an Ashton... cigar store owner recommended it... been in love since day one.
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    thebody52:
    Yeah... me too... the first cigar I smoked was a Philly... thought they were the bomb... first real cigar I had was an Ashton... cigar store owner recommended it... been in love since day one.
    Does the owner know your in love?
  • Options
    thebody52thebody52 Posts: 16
    Hah no... kept my distance.
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Playboy by Don Diego. I havent thought about that in a long time I might have to put some of those on my next order just for the memories.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    My first one was a Montecristo something (don't recall), the occasion was that me and a few friends got together to watch Scarface. I enjoyed the cigar, but what I really remember were all the mistakes my friend and I made when we were smoking it (like lighting it with a zippo!).
  • Options
    nudienudie Posts: 112
    macanudo maduro.. the 10 tin... bought it at CVS... we smoked in the DQ parking lot in HS... haha... and my brother bought me a dutch masters 4 pk for xmas that year...
  • Options
    Hoyo de Monterrey at 14 with my brother haha. Been buyin and smokin cigars ever since!
  • Options
    My first was a fake Cohiba purchased in Barbados. Did not know it was fake at the time. Keep the band and found out years later. Did not stop the formation of a habit though.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    My first real cigar was when I was 18. I was walking around downtown Roanoke, VA with my buddy Tex. Went into a cafe that had a walk-in humi and bought a Romeo y Juiliet 1875 churchill. I walked around with it all day thinking I was cool. Don't really remember anything about the cigar other than I knew I liked cigars from that point on. Certainly didn't forsee me at 30 with a 300 count humi and cigars being one of my favorite hobbies.
  • Options
    tedescotedesco Posts: 22
    My first real cigar was a Camacho SLR and it came in a 5 pack sampler from my local shop. I dont remember the other cigars but that camacho got me hooked.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Fightin' ***!! woohoo! I went to USC (that's The University of South Carolina, y'all) and we'd smoke these tailgating at football games because of the namesake, plus they sold them at a little shop in the bar district in town (also where we hung out way too much). Next step was probably a Macanudo. First real cigar was probably an Arturo Fuente, but I don't recall which one.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    You've got to be kidding, I can't say ***?!?! Anyway, the cigars were called Fightin' C.O.C.K in case no one figured it out yet. They were pretty bad but I'd venture to guess they're probably better than a Philly or Swisher. I see them in catalogues occasionally, but otherwise haven't seen them in years (thank god!)
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    urbino:
    Can't say I remember, but it was probably one of the cheaper Fuentes or an Upmann. Possibly a Dunhill.
    tatanka tatanka,tatanka,tatanka, Do you have a conection to the Buffalo? I am sure mine was a Swisher Sweet at the age of 12.... sled riding drinking a cold Budwieser..... I was destine for the rooms of AA and NA ! LOL
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Swisher sweets of course, but many moons later, an Indian Tabac, when they first came on the scene. My buddies father in law was buying them and would give him a box. That was almost 10 years ago.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    A friend of mine gave me half a box of swishers when I was a kid.
    Had those things in a drawer for 2 years and the day I got my first car I pulled one out and blazed thinking I was cool....
    LOL it was a terrible smoke.

Then last year I randomly walked into my B & M and got a tin of the Macs Ascots, a NUB Cameroon 360, a Mac Portofino, a 3 pack of Cohiba something and a CAO Gold Maduro.
    Out of all those smokes I only liked one.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Had those things in a drawer for 2 years and the day I got my first car I pulled one out and blazed thinking I was cool....

Then last year I randomly walked into my B & M and got a tin of the Macs Ascots, a NUB Cameroon 360, a Mac Portofino, a 3 pack of Cohiba something and a CAO Gold Maduro.
    ... shall we guess ? I'd say Nub.
  • Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    Besides swisher sweets the first cigar i can remember having was either a partagas or a indian tabac .. not sure on which vitolas though
  • Options
    nudienudie Posts: 112
    kaspera79:
    stephen_hannibal:

id say NUb or Cohiba if it was a red dot.. would be my faves
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I was vacationing in the Dominican 5 or 6 years ago with family and friends. A guy came up to us on the beach asking if we wanted "some cubans." lol, looking back on it, they were NOT cubans. Sure they said "made in cuba" but they were probably terrible. But, we thought they tasted great and even snuck some back through customs. No humidor or anything to humidify them, so I'm sure they tasted GREAT after sititng in my friends kitchen the next few months.

The first cigar that really got me into cigars again was maye two or three years ago. A Don Peppin Cuban Classic. I was blown away and have never looked back. :)
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna guess the CAO Gold Maduro. My First was a Partaga Naturale
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Rocky Patel Edge........ When they first came out, no band, just marked on the box... I was hooked after that!
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Sancho Panza primeroso.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    My very first was either a black and mild ...... or a backwoods ........ never had a phillie ...... wait thats a lie .... never smoked a real phillie but used the wrapper for some hippie lettuce ........ first real cigar a probably a macanudo ........ and i think i had only tow more macs in my life .......
  • Options
    hi every i really like your comment many knowledgeable information in this site and every articles in this site really very nice thanks for share it. my first cigar is a gold flake......
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    My first real cigar was a RP Signature. It was good, but the one that really got me started in this hobby was the one I had later that same night which was an El Cobre. Now that is a fantastic stick!
  • Options
    martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    garcia y vega english corona... then a few years later a Don Thomas Allegro...
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    nudie:
    kaspera79:
    stephen_hannibal:

id say NUb or Cohiba if it was a red dot.. would be my faves

NUB it is...