Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Rip, you have a Daruma coming lol... I love the osok, it was on my list for tonight actually.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Rip!
    I just smoked one of these and again, you have helped me to distinguish some things about it that I could only vaguely determine. With your article, it brings some things to light for me. Appreciate it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Hi Daniel, thanks. Smoke them now to enjoy the ultimate flavors and aroma.
    danielzreyes:
    I have 2 of these waiting to be smoked. I can't wait to smoke one now. Beautiful review as always Rip.
  • Options
    Thanks Tony. Now I regret for not buying couple of boxes of this wonderful smoke.
    SleevePlz:
    I, too, love the OSOK. I have only bought a few boxes so far and this was one of them. Very well written review, as always, Rip. Thanks!
  • Options
    REALLY Dustin? I am so happy! I am little behind of some most recent releases. I am very excited now!!! let us know about your experience when you smoke it tonight. Thanks!
    catfishbluezz:
    Rip, you have a Daruma coming lol... I love the osok, it was on my list for tonight actually.
  • Options
    My friend Tony, thanks for encouraging me all the time. You inspire me a lot to review cigars. I sincerely appreciate that.
    0patience:
    Thanks Rip!
    I just smoked one of these and again, you have helped me to distinguish some things about it that I could only vaguely determine. With your article, it brings some things to light for me. Appreciate it.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again brother, spot on! Great read and once I kick this cold I will be setting flame to one myself. Thanks for the great review brother!
  • Options
    rzaman:
    REALLY Dustin? I am so happy! I am little behind of some most recent releases. I am very excited now!!! let us know about your experience when you smoke it tonight. Thanks!
    catfishbluezz:
    lets just say you'll be up to date Rip... i'm grabbing a bunch of cigars, my best friend is getting married, so that is one that will be in my travel humi. Of course, what I decide to smoke will depend on the mood as my mind always changes lol. But it will be outdoors in 2 hours, and CA is awesome right now.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    This is one of my favorite smokes of 2012!! I thought they did a fantastic job with the Trucha size, which is my favorite. I went a little crazy and got a total of 7 boxes, and had to let go of a few so I can make some room for habanos. I actually am enjoying them more and more the longer I wait however. The first one, and only one I had ROTT had a weird chemical aroma, and I thought that because of how fresh it could be. Then let them rest for about 2 months and they are just getting better and no more chemical aroma or taste. As always fantastic review and images!!! Well done!!
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Great review. My personal favorite size is the Filero.

The Daruma is good, but I still prefer the Namakubi.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Great review, again! I'll take you up on your suggestion not to let these age - I'll smoke mine the next available fine day. Your reviews have become a sounding board for which higher end cigars I want to try, thank you for all you provide to this forum.
  • Options
    Thanks Peter. I hope you feel better and start enjoy smoking soon.
    Vision:
    Again brother, spot on! Great read and once I kick this cold I will be setting flame to one myself. Thanks for the great review brother!
  • Options
    Hi Dustin, I have no doubt about your fine taste and selection. Hope you enjoyed the weeding ceremony and enjoyed some fine smokes.
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    lets just say you'll be up to date Rip... i'm grabbing a bunch of cigars, my best friend is getting married, so that is one that will be in my travel humi. Of course, what I decide to smoke will depend on the mood as my mind always changes lol. But it will be outdoors in 2 hours, and CA is awesome right now.
  • Options
    Hi Shawn, Room 101 indeed did a fantastic job with this cigar. Wow...seven boxes...lucky you. I regret for not buying enough. The term Chemical aroma is similer to mettalic. I am glad you enjoy it after having a little age on it. Again, if you enjoy it that way then you are doing the right thing. This cigar does not have any ammonia harshness and this is the reason why I do not want to age them. I am really excited to smoke Daruma and Dustin is kind enough to send me one.

I appreciate your kind words. Have a great weekend.
    zeebra:
    This is one of my favorite smokes of 2012!! I thought they did a fantastic job with the Trucha size, which is my favorite. I went a little crazy and got a total of 7 boxes, and had to let go of a few so I can make some room for habanos. I actually am enjoying them more and more the longer I wait however. The first one, and only one I had ROTT had a weird chemical aroma, and I thought that because of how fresh it could be. Then let them rest for about 2 months and they are just getting better and no more chemical aroma or taste. As always fantastic review and images!!! Well done!!
  • Options
    Thanks Steve. I also enjoyed the Filero. Since I never smoked a Daruma, how do you compare it with OSOK? I do like Namakubi Papi Chulo. I haven't smoked one recently so unable to compare with OSOK.
    Steve2010:

• Options
    Hi, I sincerely appreciate your kind words. I enjoy reviewing cigars and share my thought. I also feel happy to know that it help some BOTLs. When you smoke it next time please do not forget to share your thought with us. We always learn from each other.
    bigharpoon:
    Great review, again! I'll take you up on your suggestion not to let these age - I'll smoke mine the next available fine day. Your reviews have become a sounding board for which higher end cigars I want to try, thank you for all you provide to this forum.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Thanks Steve. I also enjoyed the Filero. Since I never smoked a Daruma, how do you compare it with OSOK? I do like Namakubi Papi Chulo. I haven't smoked one recently so unable to compare with OSOK.
    Steve2010:

its very different, I like it more then te namakubi, but that's me. There are several vitolas to try also, and I really liked the short Robusto. They also have a Churchill and lancero I am very interested in as the trucha osok was so good for a longer cigar. The mata fina binder really makes this a unique cigar IMO. I will smoke a few more before I decide on what vitola I want to buy to age.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Like Dustin said, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Completely different blends for a completely different experience.

To me, there wasn't anything that made the Daruma stand out from the crowd. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it...but whenever I fire up a Namakubi I always get the flavors of fresh black cherries, which to me, makes it quite different from other smokes.

We all have our own preferences, but then that's why blenders make different blends, isn't it?
  • Options
    Steve2010:
    Like Dustin said, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Completely different blends for a completely different experience.

To me, there wasn't anything that made the Daruma stand out from the crowd. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it...but whenever I fire up a Namakubi I always get the flavors of fresh black cherries, which to me, makes it quite different from other smokes.

We all have our own preferences, but then that's why blenders make different blends, isn't it?
    which vitola of namakubi do you like? I've had two, didn't like either really. I think one was the 60rg, other was a toro if I remember correct. I'd wouldn't mind revisiting though as I like 101 as ie heard that blend is distinct in each vitola
  • Options

There is nothing new to talk about Padron. On Occasion Padron manufacture a special release to commemorate a significant family date or event. The Padr
  • Options
    Interesting... I'm a huge padron fan, but have nt been impressed by the natural lines in the Family Reserve. I'll have to grab one.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aww what!?!? Rip! No crazy balancing act on an exotic plant cigar pic? You're losing Rip, you're losing it lol. I love a some Padrons. They are a bit pricey out here in Cali though. A 1926 is $20+. Lovely review as always.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Is there a huge differance between the 1926 and the 1964? I assume they are 100% different cigars..kind of like MOW Ruination and MOW Virtue, but I've never smoked either. I have one 1964 resting. Thanks for the review Rip.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Is there a huge differance between the 1926 and the 1964? I assume they are 100% different cigars..kind of like MOW Ruination and MOW Virtue, but I've never smoked either. I have one 1964 resting. Thanks for the review Rip.
    Yes, 38.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Dustin...I believe our taste buds are quite similier. Please make sure you smoke it after 2-3 years of aging in it. The wrapper is not like any other Padron natural. It is very smooth, thinner and silky. I believe even Padron does not have it a lot. This is another reason why they roll it only 16,000 sticks a year. In fact, I was pushed by a guy to purchase this cigar in the Signature Cigar store in Bethesda, VA. He practically begged me to try this. I got it almost two years ago and didn't feel to smoke it until now. You can trust me on this.
    catfishbluezz:
    Interesting... I'm a huge padron fan, but have nt been impressed by the natural lines in the Family Reserve. I'll have to grab one.
  • Options
    LOL...Daniel, by this time I became an expert in balancing. I love to blend cigar with nature in the background in my pictures. It gives me a asthetic happiness. Next time, I will send you one brother.
    danielzreyes:
    Aww what!?!? Rip! No crazy balancing act on an exotic plant cigar pic? You're losing Rip, you're losing it lol. I love a some Padrons. They are a bit pricey out here in Cali though. A 1926 is $20+. Lovely review as always.
  • Options
    Hi Randy, 1964 is a very good cigar but no comparison with 1926 40th and 80th Anniversary. Thanks!
    Rain:
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Rain:
    Yes, 38.
    Thanks bro, my GED leaves me at a disadvantage ;)
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Good to know rip!! I have one from tony I put in the aging humi... I was gonna light it up soon but if you say rest it I'll rest it. And to rain the 64 and 26 are different... Not 10% different until you get in the family reserve and the other special batches. The 64 is milder than the 26 but I haven't had a padron I wouldn't buy again and again!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Hi Lee, how old is that? is it Natural or Maduro?
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Good to know rip!! I have one from tony I put in the aging humi... I was gonna light it up soon but if you say rest it I'll rest it. And to rain the 64 and 26 are different... Not 10% different until you get in the family reserve and the other special batches. The 64 is milder than the 26 but I haven't had a padron I wouldn't buy again and again!!