Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Rip, you never cease to amaze me with your immaculate reviews. Having had a PSD4, I recall several of the flavors and quite a bit of the complexity you've mentioned regarding the LE.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this review on the Partagas, as the Partagas is my favorite ISOM. I agree that most of them need aging, but I still like them fresh out of the box.

Thanks Rip!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Daniel.
    Toombes:
    Rip, you never cease to amaze me with your immaculate reviews. Having had a PSD4, I recall several of the flavors and quite a bit of the complexity you've mentioned regarding the LE.
  • Options
    Thanks Tony, there are many smokers who love to smoke the fresh cigar for a fresh flavor and aroma kicks. I always smoke one right away from the box then smoke couple every three months few times then gradually every six months then every year and so on. This is a great way to enjoy the changes the flavor and aroma of a cigar.
    0patience:
    I love this review on the Partagas, as the Partagas is my favorite ISOM. I agree that most of them need aging, but I still like them fresh out of the box.

Thanks Rip!
  • Options
    Hi David, Partagas Series D is a great smoke no matter a regular release or Limited Edition. It is simply very aromatic, complex, balanced cigar.

Your question is not tricky but very difficult to answer. The Padron smokers top like vary from 1926 to 40th, 80th, Family Reserve 45, Millennium, 1964. Even the people who likes 1926 they also enjoy different numbers as well- such as #2, # 9 and beyond. Then there are also two group of Padron lovers, some like Natural and some Maduro. IMO there are all excellent smokes.

Then there are two groups of smokers who like Padron over Arturo Fuenete Opus X and vice versa. The reason is the differences in spiciness and flavor. Dominican Opus X or Forbidden X are spicy but it is more subtle then Nicaraguan Padron. Dominican spiciness is mix of black-white pepper. The raisin-prune fruity sweetness is milder, less earthy but more nutty then Nicaraguan Padron. Padron spiciness is more into black peppery, molasses-caramel sweetnes, distinctive coffee, espresso, dark chocolate flavor and aroma. It is all about personal preference because taste is subjective. IMO, both are excellent and unique.

Now to answer you difficult question, Cuban cigars have more white peppery speciness(except few such as Partagas series D), more creamy milk chocolate, very rich and deep aromatic fruity- flowery flavors and aroma, sweetness is more like sugarcane, balanced earthiness. This is very different then Dominican or Nicaraguan cigars.

I believe you can understand where I am heading to. It is simply not easy to compare a classy Padron 1926 with a classy Cuban Partagas or Alejandro Robina cigar. However, there are some unique and super quality Cuban where Padron can perform as underdog- such as Cohiba Gran Reserva 2003, 1966, Behike, Monetecristo Gran Reserva 2005 or Cuabn made Davidoff. However, we also have to take the price in consideration as well. All the cigars above are from $40 to $150 per stick.

It is very difficult to neglect Padron 1926 80th, Family Reserve 45th, Millennium or an aged Opus or Forbidden X or Don Carlos Anniversario, Viaje Oro Reserva #5 2010 realease, Dominican Zino Davidoof Crown regular & Emperor edition, Davidoff Royal Robusto.

It is very difficult to compare one by one. However, a properly aged top grade Cuban cigars are gems. It is simply very difficult to compete an aged top Cuban cigar.
    JDH:
    I had the pleasure of enjoying a Partagas D Limited while in Europe in the spring of 2011 (and a R&J Limited too). I cannot remember exactly why, nor could I express what I enjoyed as well as you have, but I gotta say that Partagas was THE best cigar I've ever had (but I have limited experience with Cubans).

Now for the trick question. IMO, the Padron '26 #2 is probably the best cigar legally avaliable to us here in the US. Since you definately have extensive experience with the best cigars in the world, and a gift for being able to describe them incredibly well, how would you compare the two?
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I have one of these sitting...think I need to smoke it now and grab a box while I can.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only had a few handfull of CC. With that being said, the Serie D are among my favs.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Rip for such a well written review. I have not had one of these yet but I am looking forward to the day a box arrives! My wife wanted an idea for Christmas and this will definitely be my request. Thanks again for the eloquent write up, you got me drooling for sure. I appreciate it!!
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Rip, you just explained why I haven't spent too much time with the Dominicans. :

"The reason is the differences in spiciness and flavor. Dominican Opus X or Forbidden X are spicy but it is more subtle then Nicaraguan Padron. Dominican spiciness is mix of black-white pepper. The raisin-prune fruity sweetness is milder, less earthy but more nutty then Nicaraguan Padron. Padron spiciness is more into black peppery, molasses-caramel sweetnes, distinctive coffee, espresso, dark chocolate flavor and aroma."

That's it! I don't like nuts near as much as I love dark chocolate, molasses, and expresso. Excellent! The problem I have when enjoying these cigars is that I really can't quite pick out all these subtle flavors, (it all just tastes like tobacco to me), but I definately know what I like, and don't like, just don't ask me why. Many thanks!

I've only had one Robania - the Unicos, but it was memorable. Are there any other Robania cigars that you prefer?
    rzaman:
    Hi David, Partagas Series D is a great smoke no matter a regular release or Limited Edition. It is simply very aromatic, complex, balanced cigar.

Your question is not tricky but very difficult to answer. The Padron smokers top like vary from 1926 to 40th, 80th, Family Reserve 45, Millennium, 1964. Even the people who likes 1926 they also enjoy different numbers as well- such as #2, # 9 and beyond. Then there are also two group of Padron lovers, some like Natural and some Maduro. IMO there are all excellent smokes.

Then there are two groups of smokers who like Padron over Arturo Fuenete Opus X and vice versa. The reason is the differences in spiciness and flavor. Dominican Opus X or Forbidden X are spicy but it is more subtle then Nicaraguan Padron. Dominican spiciness is mix of black-white pepper. The raisin-prune fruity sweetness is milder, less earthy but more nutty then Nicaraguan Padron. Padron spiciness is more into black peppery, molasses-caramel sweetnes, distinctive coffee, espresso, dark chocolate flavor and aroma. It is all about personal preference because taste is subjective. IMO, both are excellent and unique.

Now to answer you difficult question, Cuban cigars have more white peppery speciness(except few such as Partagas series D), more creamy milk chocolate, very rich and deep aromatic fruity- flowery flavors and aroma, sweetness is more like sugarcane, balanced earthiness. This is very different then Dominican or Nicaraguan cigars.

I believe you can understand where I am heading to. It is simply not easy to compare a classy Padron 1926 with a classy Cuban Partagas or Alejandro Robina cigar. However, there are some unique and super quality Cuban where Padron can perform as underdog- such as Cohiba Gran Reserva 2003, 1966, Behike, Monetecristo Gran Reserva 2005 or Cuabn made Davidoff. However, we also have to take the price in consideration as well. All the cigars above are from $40 to $150 per stick.

It is very difficult to neglect Padron 1926 80th, Family Reserve 45th, Millennium or an aged Opus or Forbidden X or Don Carlos Anniversario, Viaje Oro Reserva #5 2010 realease, Dominican Zino Davidoof Crown regular & Emperor edition, Davidoff Royal Robusto.

It is very difficult to compare one by one. However, a properly aged top grade Cuban cigars are gems. It is simply very difficult to compete an aged top Cuban cigar.
    JDH:
    I had the pleasure of enjoying a Partagas D Limited while in Europe in the spring of 2011 (and a R&J Limited too). I cannot remember exactly why, nor could I express what I enjoyed as well as you have, but I gotta say that Partagas was THE best cigar I've ever had (but I have limited experience with Cubans).

Now for the trick question. IMO, the Padron '26 #2 is probably the best cigar legally avaliable to us here in the US. Since you definately have extensive experience with the best cigars in the world, and a gift for being able to describe them incredibly well, how would you compare the two?
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    JDH:
    raisin-prune fruity sweetness
    That's it. I've been looking for that combination of terms for years. Thanks JDH.

While we're on it, does anyone else feel that Padrons are a bit dry?
  • Options
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    That's it. I've been looking for that combination of terms for years. Thanks JDH.

That was Rip's description...FYI, I'm terrible at picking out the subtle flavors in the cigars I enjoy...it just tastes like different variations of tobacco to me. Rip did an outstanding job with that distinction, though. He pretty much pinpointed for me why I am not drawn to the Dominican cigars, and prefer the Niciraguan and Hondurans.

I don't think Padrons are dry though.
  • Options
    David, Robina Unico is a very good cigar but Don Alejandro Robina is even better. Just let them rest a year and you will enjoy the blasting aromatic flavors and aroma. I reviewed Don Alejandro here. I am a huge fan of Robian's cigars. The other very aromatic Cuban is San Cristobal de La Habana.
    JDH:
    Rip, you just explained why I haven't spent too much time with the Dominicans. :

"The reason is the differences in spiciness and flavor. Dominican Opus X or Forbidden X are spicy but it is more subtle then Nicaraguan Padron. Dominican spiciness is mix of black-white pepper. The raisin-prune fruity sweetness is milder, less earthy but more nutty then Nicaraguan Padron. Padron spiciness is more into black peppery, molasses-caramel sweetnes, distinctive coffee, espresso, dark chocolate flavor and aroma."

That's it! I don't like nuts near as much as I love dark chocolate, molasses, and expresso. Excellent! The problem I have when enjoying these cigars is that I really can't quite pick out all these subtle flavors, (it all just tastes like tobacco to me), but I definately know what I like, and don't like, just don't ask me why. Many thanks!

I've only had one Robania - the Unicos, but it was memorable. Are there any other Robania cigars that you prefer?
    rzaman:

JDH:

• Options
    Perhaps you are referring the term dry for strong woodiness? Woodiness can be wet, damp, sweet and dry. I do find some Padron very woody sometime but not dry.
    beatnic:
    JDH:

• Options
    Your welcome Jim. I am glad you enjoyed the review. I also appreciate remininding me to smoke the great cigar.
    Bigshizza:
    Thanks Rip for such a well written review. I have not had one of these yet but I am looking forward to the day a box arrives! My wife wanted an idea for Christmas and this will definitely be my request. Thanks again for the eloquent write up, you got me drooling for sure. I appreciate it!!
  • Options
    Rip, you really ought to put these reviews in a paperback. They provide a first rate understanding of fine tobacco and the people who grow and produce it. I looked through your reviews and found the Robania Don Alejandro. As soon as you mentioned it, I remembered the aroma of that cigar, one of the things I enjoyed about the Unico so much. Next time I have the opportunity, I'll bite on these. I also enjoyed your review of the Zino Platinum Z class. I have a few of these (in a toro size) that have been resting for a couple of years, except they're not the crown series. I've been wondering what to burn on the day I retire, and this might be it. Thanks again.
    rzaman:
    David, Robina Unico is a very good cigar but Don Alejandro Robina is even better. Just let them rest a year and you will enjoy the blasting aromatic flavors and aroma. I reviewed Don Alejandro here. I am a huge fan of Robian's cigars. The other very aromatic Cuban is San Cristobal de La Habana.
    JDH:

rzaman:

JDH:

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Rip, you really ought to put these reviews in a paperback. They provide a first rate understanding of fine tobacco and the people who grow and produce it. I looked through your reviews and found the Robania Don Alejandro. As soon as you mentioned it, I remembered the aroma of that cigar, one of the things I enjoyed about the Unico so much. Next time I have the opportunity, I'll bite on these. I also enjoyed your review of the Zino Platinum Z class. I have a few of these (in a toro size) that have been resting for a couple of years, except they're not the crown series. I've been wondering what to burn on the day I retire, and this might be it. Thanks again.
    Agreed. I've told Rip when he writes his first book, put me down for a couple copies. I don't care how much they cost.
    I have yet to see any reviews ever written (and I've read many) that are so well descriptive and eloquently put. Rip has a way about his writings that draw you into the experience and that is a gift.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    JDH:
    Agreed. I've told Rip when he writes his first book, put me down for a couple copies. I don't care how much they cost.
    I have yet to see any reviews ever written (and I've read many) that are so well descriptive and eloquently put. Rip has a way about his writings that draw you into the experience and that is a gift.
    Yes, he's eloquent without being pretentious, and he has a reverence for the subject matter that is equaled by his depth of knowledge. I think that means he LOVES these fine cigars and the people who make them.
  • Options
    David & Tony,

I really appreciate your encouraging words. I am working on two books "Cigar: The culture and politics" and a pictorial book "Old Habana: cigar and its culture". I don't know if I have enough knowledge to write about cigar tasting. However, I am very glad to know that you enjoy my reviews. It is very motivational. Thanks!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    David & Tony,

I really appreciate your encouraging words. I am working on two books "Cigar: The culture and politics" and a pictorial book "Old Habana: cigar and its culture". I don't know if I have enough knowledge to write about cigar tasting. However, I am very glad to know that you enjoy my reviews. It is very motivational. Thanks!
    i mean... does anyone have enough knowledge to tell someone else what a cigar tastes like?
    taste is too subjective.
    you know what you are tasting. there is nothing wrong with telling people what you get out of it.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    David & Tony,

I would buy both of these. And I think you sell yourself short on the tasting portion. I love your reviews because you seem to not only taste, and smell a cigar, but live it. That is what makes it such a blast to read, seeing just how much love you put into each smoking experience.

...Now if I could just afford the sticks you review. :P
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    JDH:
    Yes, he's eloquent without being pretentious

You nailed it
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Buy them JDH, top 5 smoke hands down. The ones I got had 3 years on them, BigT and i smoked them and agreed they were amazing. I see it as the type of cigar that only a box makes sense, as being a larger smoke it commands an occasion, and every time you have one it will get better. Hands down one of the best cubans on the market easy.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for your kind words.
    jthanatos:
    rzaman:
    David & Tony,

I would buy both of these. And I think you sell yourself short on the tasting portion. I love your reviews because you seem to not only taste, and smell a cigar, but live it. That is what makes it such a blast to read, seeing just how much love you put into each smoking experience.

...Now if I could just afford the sticks you review. :P
  • Options
    Thanks Ben.
    bbass2:
    JDH:
    Yes, he's eloquent without being pretentious

You nailed it
  • Options
    As Dustin said, Don Alejandro is one the best cigar in the world and it just gets better with aging...Period. Dustin has very good taste and he knows what he is talking about

I believe, I did a brief review on Zino Platinum Z class 550 R brfore I started this thread .This is a great smoke. Someday I would like to review it properly. I still like Z class which is very different than Zino Crown series. Have you smoked any Crown series?
    catfishbluezz:
    JDH:
    Buy them JDH, top 5 smoke hands down. The ones I got had 3 years on them, BigT and i smoked them and agreed they were amazing. I see it as the type of cigar that only a box makes sense, as being a larger smoke it commands an occasion, and every time you have one it will get better. Hands down one of the best cubans on the market easy.
  • Options
    I have zero experience with either the Platinum or the Crown series. I've been letting the few Platinums I have just sit in the box, waiting for the right occasion. I guess the next opportunity I have, I'll just have to pick up a box of this Robania. That is high praise inded.
    rzaman:
    As Dustin said, Don Alejandro is one the best cigar in the world and it just gets better with aging...Period. Dustin has very good taste and he knows what he is talking about

I believe, I did a brief review on Zino Platinum Z class 550 R brfore I started this thread .This is a great smoke. Someday I would like to review it properly. I still like Z class which is very different than Zino Crown series. Have you smoked any Crown series?
    catfishbluezz:
    JDH:
  • Options
    Agree Kuzi. tatse is subjective but there are some basic flavors and aroma in each cigar which is obvious and detectable. I think the difference is some background mild notes and elements. That part is too subjective. For example: Nicaraguan black peppery spice, strong coffee, espresso, dark chocolate flavors, Cuban white peppery spice, sugarcane sweetness, distinctive aromatic fruity flavors etc. etc.
    kuzi16:
    rzaman:
    David & Tony,

i mean... does anyone have enough knowledge to tell someone else what a cigar tastes like?
    taste is too subjective.
    you know what you are tasting. there is nothing wrong with telling people what you get out of it.
  • Options

The OSOK Room 101 LTD Trucha is made by Camacho part of the Davidoff Group, and is the most recent release from Matt Booth. Matt Booth was a US Marine who was stationed in the Far-East. While he was there he was so intrigued and impacted by the culture it followed him back to the US and has influenced him profoundly. Room 101 creates designs that combine a timeless classic fashion, with intrinsically beautiful artwork. They bring this design to everything they make, clothes, jewelry, accessories and of course their cigars. Room 101 is fusion of Asian influenced. They even plan to create custom-made private jet interiors. Room 101 designs have been featured in top lifestyle, fashion, and specialty magazines. New additions to the collection include a custom golf bag line and custom made knives. Future plan includes a tailored suit and cashmere line as well as customs instrument. Matt has made several appearances on major network television. Matt’s products are featured in select boutique stores worldwide and he works with several well known designers. Their slogan is “Room101 is more than a brand, it’s a lifestyle. Legends are made in Hollywood. You are made in ROOM101.” In a nutshell, the brand is a story of a former US marine, became a fashion designer to a cigar maker.
    Photobucket
    Matt Booth and Camacho Cigars launched the Room 101 Cigars line in 2009, it was one of the most highly anticipated new lines by the cigar industry. While there were some good cigars done by Room 101, it was with the 2011 launch of the Room 101 Namakubi and the Room 101 Connecticut, where I felt the promise of those initial high expectations were met. We had those two releases ranked #7 and #10 respectively in our 2011 Cigar of the Year countdown. Entering 2012, Booth and Room 101 have launched the fifth cigar of their brand - the Room LTD OSOK. Once again, Booth and Room 101 are continuing to ride the momentum that the brand found in 2011 as this proves to be an outstanding cigar. OSOK is an acronym for "One Shot One Kill". OSOK gets its name from photographer Edgar Hoill, who Booth has worked with in the past. Hoill's nickname is "One Shot One Kill" for his precision accuracy around taking photographs. Hoill is a cigar enthusiast and in regards to Room 101, Booth says "he is an original member of the 101 family and we would not be where we are today without him." [Source: Room 101 website and other various online sources]

The visionary: Edgar “OSOK” Hoill:

From Los Angeles to Japan, Edgar Hoill has traveled the world to bring back a gallery of photos that will cultivate, capture and forever imprint a new look on life, culture and Photography. His work has appeared in print media globally and his style is one that is both fresh and inspiring. From behind the barrel of his trusty cameras, Mr. Hoill has adopted the moniker of “OSOK” One Shot One Kill. His movement is swift, his precision darting and a just like a marksman or sniper he always gets his target. By taking pictures of the world around him he shares not only a lifestyle but a forum of expression for the rest of the world to see. His work is provocative and daring but at the end of the day it’s the honest truth of a lifestyle, culture and way of life that only Edgar Hoill can capture in its truest essence. With his travels he has captured and worked alongside many icons in the Tattoo industry including Horiyoshi III and Freddy Negrete. He has also worked in many projects with the Good Time Charlie’s Tattoo Land crew and is currently working on a coffee table book that will captivate the world of Black and Grey tattoos trough his camera lens. He also has become part of the Room 101 Silver crew, when he was taken under the wings of creator Matt Booth. His first showing in Australia is just a glimpse into the mind of an artist and his trusted camera. It will be much more than just a gallery; it will prove itself to be an experience that captures life in all of its grace as well as the beauty of life’s ugly reality.[Source: Room 101 Blog]
    Photobucket Photobucket
    It has a beautiful presentation before even get to the actual cigar. The cigar itself wrapped in an oily tissue paper and the tissue paper is wrapped with another multiple faces of skulls. However, the skulls paper wrapper is blend of three different countries cultures - Asian Indian, Oriental demon face and close to New Zealand Maui (Pacific Islanders) arts. It has been blended interestingly but I couldn't understand the meaning. I know Matt used to be stationed in Japan and the idea came from Asian culture. The band is simply silver and black but extremely elegant. It has a tribal and Turkish Ottoman or close to Moorish look. The design has a great understanding of multiple cultures and history. I specially enjoy and appreciate this part of the cigar. The wrapper is dark brown, oily with a reddish hue on it, some large veins, the surface is bumpy. It has woody, hay and mild peppery scents. The cold draw is effortless. It is a medium bodied cigar with good draw and burn. The flavor profile is a combination of brown sugary sweetness, spice, citrus, wood, leather, earthy, white-black pepper powder, coriander powder, cinnamon, bitter-sweet dark chocolate, Cafe mocha, cocoa with salty edge at the back and creamy and peppery finish. I am always a huge fan of figurado, perfecto or Solomon shapes which allow us to start with intensity and slowly open up during smoking the cigar. The cigar has very good complexity but not extremely complex, medium to long finish at the end with flaky ash. The cigar comes in three different vitolas Trucha(6.5 X 50), Chingon(8 X 60) and Filero(4.5 X 52). As any other Room 101, it is a onetime release. There are 30,000 cigars, only 1000 Boxes of each size have been released.

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano

Binder: Honduran Corojo Seco

Filler: Corojo and Piloto Ligero (Honduran and Dominican)
    Photobucket
    1/3: it starts with mild harshness but mellow out quickly. It releases cedar, black pepper spice, aromatic coriander powder, sweet leather, dry earth and a slight citrusy note at the back. I would consider this as a great start. I am able to retrohale from the start which I love about a cigar. The black peppery smooth and creamy spicy kick through the nose is very enjoyable. The spiciness is little different than as usual spiciness because it does hit the spot with power but not overpowering. Today, the weather is Managua is little dull- no tropical breeze, sun is covered by clouds but it is just too quiet and gloomy. The spicy kick is adding some color to the day- thanks OSOK. The top of my tongue can feel the smooth black peppery spice, the middle of my tongue is enjoying the creamy texture with above flavors and aroma and the back of my tongue is pretty much clean except super mild tobacco harshness. At the end of this stage, I am also detecting an upcoming mild chocolate-coffee notes. Overall it is a very good start. The strength is straight medium with medium finish and balanced flavors and aroma.
    Photobucket
    2/3: the cigar opens up with multi-dimensional flavors and aroma at this stage. I am detecting distinctive sweet leather, oak, white-black powder peppery spice, brown sugar sweetness, Cafe mocha, bitter-sweet dark chocolate, cinnamon flavors with citrus and salty edge at the back -wow! This cigar gets additional 3 points for the boosting complexity and long finish at this stage. The strong white-black pepper spicy and aromatic coriander powder aroma through the nose is absolutely astonishing. The top of my tongue can feel the zing of white-black peppery spiciness, the middle of my tongue is full of smooth and creamy smoke with above flavors and aroma, both side of my tongue feels the citrus tangy zestiness, the back of my tongue feel the sweet-bitter tobacco finish. The finish is extremely long with a short spicy tingling feeling around my mouth. This cigar is giving me a metaphysical happiness which is little hard to describe with words. One thing I have to mention that this is the first time I have detected aromatic coriander powdery aroma in a cigar. If you are familiar with Indian or Mexican spices you would understand that coriander power has a aromatic and salty taste in it. This is beautiful and good enough for me to like this cigar. The strong sweet-spiciness though the nose is very enjoyable. The strength is still straight medium to full. The cigar has a complex mineral and herbal element which is not unpleasant metallic rather than aromatic. This is a sign of tobacco grown in complex Honduran volcanic soil. This is a very good smoke.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage, the cigar has brown sugar sweetness but the black peppery spiciness is at the front. The flavors and aroma are at the back with more cinnamon, cafe mocha, sweet-bitter dark chocolate flavors with aromatic aroma at the back. I am also detecting rich cocoa flavor. This is where the cigar gets one more point for complexity. Then strength is full but overpowering to undermine the smoke. The zesty citrus tangy feeling is more profound after each puff. I have to say that this is very complex smoke at this moment. The top of my tongue feels the zing of brown sugar sweet and black peppery spiciness, the middle of my tongue is enjoying the creamy and smooth texture with above flavors and aroma but again the spiciness is at the front, both side of my tongue feels zesty citrus and tanginess and the back of my tongue has medium sweet-bitter tobacco finish. I am definitely enjoying it very much. The strength is straight full bodied but not overpowering. My entire mouth is full of spiciness and tingling feeling with above flavors and aroma. This is a fantastic smoke.

Final thought: I haven't smoke a Drauma yet which is the follow up release of OSOK. Camacho blended this cigar right and deserve the full credit as well as Matt Booth. Last time when I met Matt in Arlington, VA during smoking a Room 101 cigar, he asked me what I think of his cigars. I told him- your cigars are improving with each releases and that's a good sign, keep up the good work. Some fellow smokers were upset and told me that was too conservative. I told them I was honest about my opinion. After smoking OSOK, I am ready to add another star to Matt's score card. He is definitely improving his quality. How can I ask more from a $12 cigar? At the same time, I would like to say that this cigar meant to be smoke fresh not for aging. If we age this, it will mellow out but at the same time might lose its aromatic, mineral, herbal aromas. I am definitely going to buy boxes of this cigar for smoking but not for aging. Some people think, only Nicaragua can make balanced spicy and full bodied cigar but Honduras can also make the same. The perfect example is Room 101 OSOK. I have truly enjoyed the cigar.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 of these waiting to be smoked. I can't wait to smoke one now. Beautiful review as always Rip.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I, too, love the OSOK. I have only bought a few boxes so far and this was one of them. Very well written review, as always, Rip. Thanks!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America