Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And that is why your thread is probably my most read thread..... NO BS. Keep telling like it is brother!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I like your straightforward, honest review of this cigar. While I have not tried one, it certainly raised my interest in them. Nice job.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Thank you so much. Go ahead and smoke this great cigar...you will love it. Do you know the production date?
    Unfortunately, I don't know the production date. It was part of a trade I did and it came with no information. I'm treating it like a newer release and trying to get some age on it.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    If you think, it is new then it is worth to wait. Please let us know what you think when you smoke. Thanks!
    bigharpoon:
    rzaman:
    Thank you so much. Go ahead and smoke this great cigar...you will love it. Do you know the production date?
    Unfortunately, I don't know the production date. It was part of a trade I did and it came with no information. I'm treating it like a newer release and trying to get some age on it.
  • Options
    Thanks Peter...I always lay down my smoking experience and try not be influenced by the market hype. this is a reason, I rarely rate a cigar. I will always be honest with my smoke.
    Vision:
    And that is why your thread is probably my most read thread..... NO BS. Keep telling like it is brother!
  • Options
    I appreciate your kind words Kasper, Thanks!
    kaspera79:
    I like your straightforward, honest review of this cigar. While I have not tried one, it certainly raised my interest in them. Nice job.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've tried all of AB's regular line and really haven't liked them. I do sort of like the Tempus but that is about it. The family blend is okay but I just don't get anything from it. Sorry you didn't like this one, looks spendy.
  • Options
    Glen, I agree with you. AB cigars doesn't deliver good complexity though they are balanced. After reading your comment I just smoked a Tempus tonight and felt the same way. With two full years of aging it was simply a ok smoke. Cigar Afiocinado's number 1 cigar was a joke. I wanted to like the Fine & Rare but it simply didn't deliver the hype.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I've tried all of AB's regular line and really haven't liked them. I do sort of like the Tempus but that is about it. The family blend is okay but I just don't get anything from it. Sorry you didn't like this one, looks spendy.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice review!! Lol I'm not a big AB guy so it makes me feel better to know I'm not missing much. But that is one really cool box they come in!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    As always another great honest review
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I wanna try these but was unable to get my hands on any. Ehh, *** happens
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Glen, I agree with you. AB cigars doesn't deliver good complexity though they are balanced. After reading your comment I just smoked a Tempus tonight and felt the same way. With two full years of aging it was simply a ok smoke. Cigar Afiocinado's number 1 cigar was a joke. I wanted to like the Fine & Rare but it simply didn't deliver the hype.
    phobicsquirrel:
    CA... there's the problem. I did think what was it, 2011 or 2010 the padron hammer I think took number 1. That was a good pick though I wouldn't have said it was #1 but it was much closer. I don't put much stock in those paid for reviews. That's why I like reading what people have to say about a smoke, no BS just what they think. Keep it up man.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    I wanna try these but was unable to get my hands on any. Ehh, *** happens
    PM to you
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I have not had the F&R yet (one resting), but is it possible you had a bum stick or some other anomalie Rip? I have just heard a lot of good things about it.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    I have not had the F&R yet (one resting), but is it possible you had a bum stick or some other anomalie Rip? I have just heard a lot of good things about it.
    cigars are subjective. I'm sure rip has had more then one to determine his opinion, either way to each his own. I realized I didn't like it either, but there are a lot of popular cigars I can't stand that people love around here. For example, not a fan of Cameroon, so I don't like much fuente.
  • Options
    Thanks Lee....indeed, the box is very nice but Unfortunetly the cigar is doesn't represent the box IMPO.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Nice review!! Lol I'm not a big AB guy so it makes me feel better to know I'm not missing much. But that is one really cool box they come in!!
  • Options
    I appreciate your kind words Jesus.
    big chunks:
    As always another great honest review
  • Options
    Thanks Glen. Your observation about CA is correct. Not only CA but other cigar magazines do the same. In fact, CA is full of good life advertisement but very little sincere articles about the actual product- the cigar. However, the only thing I like about them is the heads up about upcoming cigars. I have learned more from the on-line resources than CA or other cigar magazines. The sad part is, we cannot deny the marketing power of CA. At this forum, our members are experienced and truly love cigars. We are passionate to learn about the fact from each other. I believe some other forum members feel the same way.
    phobicsquirrel:
    rzaman:
    phobicsquirrel:
    CA... there's the problem. I did think what was it, 2011 or 2010 the padron hammer I think took number 1. That was a good pick though I wouldn't have said it was #1 but it was much closer. I don't put much stock in those paid for reviews. That's why I like reading what people have to say about a smoke, no BS just what they think. Keep it up man.
  • Options
    Hi James, that was my fourth F&R. I do not think it was a bum stick. I smoked each stick with few months of rest. It mellowed out a little but one thing was common the tight draw and overpowering strength with medium complexity. I did not say it is a bad cigar, I said it does not live upto it's hype. Again, cigar taste is subjective but at the same time my review was based on my smoking experience. I also mentioned that I do enjoy full bodied and bold cigar sometime but if it a complex, balanced with good flavor and aroma. In fact two full bodied and bold cigars are in my top ten cigar list- Viaje Oro Reserva #5 and Zino Davidoff Emperor Edition. I cannot say I do not like bold cigar either. perhaps, you should smoke the one you have and be judge by yourself. You may like it and that's fine too. Actually, I am very curious to learn about your opinion. Please share your experience with us. that's how we learn from each other.
    marineatbn03:
  • Options

Justin, I know you over a year now and observed how your palate developed from fine to vintage cigars. At the same time your palate shifted towards more to smooth, complexity. I think few cigars can satisfy your taste buds now a days. However, I agree cigar taste is subjective but still there are good and bad cigars LOL. I have also noticed that you do not like Cameroon and Fuentes which is perfectly fine.

Now my friend, tell me what vintage Cuban you have been smoking lately- : )
    catfishbluezz:
    marineatbn03:
    cigars are subjective. I'm sure rip has had more then one to determine his opinion, either way to each his own. I realized I didn't like it either, but there are a lot of popular cigars I can't stand that people love around here. For example, not a fan of Cameroon, so I don't like much fuente.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rip, pls check out Cigar 101: Montecristo #2. I need your insight. Thanks.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    rzaman:

Justin, I know you over a year now and observed how your palate developed from fine to vintage cigars. At the same time your palate shifted towards more to smooth, complexity. I think few cigars can satisfy your taste buds now a days. However, I agree cigar taste is subjective but still there are good and bad cigars LOL. I have also noticed that you do not like Cameroon and Fuentes which is perfectly fine.

Now my friend, tell me what vintage Cuban you have been smoking lately- : )
    catfishbluezz:
    marineatbn03:
    diplomatico no 2.....freaked out over it Rip, it was amazing and about 5 years old. Had an 11 VR unicos but was a bit buzzed, I think I remember it being a tad spicy in comparison. The diplo had a vanilla note that I just loved and it will be a box buy.

I just got a bunch of new release NC/DC stuff to get through. One is the Ezra Zion Inception, worth checking out and I think you'd like it. It's a NC puro, I believe quesada, and incredibly smooth, medio tempo smoke. Also I am excited about the tres reyna and a few others. I am working side by side with a B&M owner and helping him. We have different palates so its nice to get together and decide what he carries. So far, all the premium stuff I've had him bring in is flying.

The cigar that surprised me the most lately besides the diplo, was the quesada Molotov. Damn tasty little bugger for a NC.
  • Options
    Replied...thx
    danielzreyes:
    Rip, pls check out Cigar 101: Montecristo #2. I need your insight. Thanks.
  • Options
    Ok, just didn't know if it was the first stick you had or not. I digress.
  • Options

Macanudo is distributed by General Cigar. Since 1979, Macanudo has only released six editions of the vintage line, and the 2000 is expected to be the final release (1979, 1984, 1988, 1993 and 1997). Each leaf used for this line was cultivated in 2000and aged in Tercios, which are large bales wrapped in palm bark. when it’s out, it’s out. The 2000 comes in four sizes, each in a glass tube: The No. I (Churchill, 7.5×49), No. II (Corona, 6.5×43), No. VIII (Robusto, 5.5×50), and the No. X (Toro, 6×54). They are presented in beautiful black lacquered cedar boxes with magnetic closing lids that are adequate for humidified storage. Cigar Master Daniel Nunez has released a phenomenal cigar to showcase only the most exemplary of his beloved Connecticut Shade wrapper leaves from the year 2000 crop, only the sixth crop in 27 years deemed worthy of the Macanudo Vintage designation.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    The cigar comes in a beautiful humidor quality box with 20 cigars. Each cigar comes in sealed glass tube to protect the vintage wrapper as well as for a better aesthetic look. The wrapper is very light milk chocolate brown color. It has woody, mild earthy, sweet leather scent. It has little oily sheen on it with some visibility of fine veins. The draw and burn is more than perfect. The strength is mild to medium. The best part of the cigar is its medium-sweet-spicy final third with balanced smooth and velvety smoke. Overall, it has good complexity with medium finish. The flavor profile is combination of woody, super mild earthy, sweet vegetal, roasted nutty, mild raisin, honey, vanilla, white cardamom-nutmeg with sweet-peppery touch start to finish. The white peppery note through the nose is very enjoyable throughout the smoke. The complexity of this cigar through spiciness from the start to finish is very unique and does not exist in any other vintage Macanudo cigar line. Its spiciness goes up but at the same time- the cigar is ultra smooth, velvety, buttery, creamy with medium and dry finish.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Vintage Connecticut shade

Binder: Mexican San Andres(extra aged)

Filler: Dominican Piloto Cubano/Mexican San Andres Medio Tiempo
    Photobucket
    1/3: The first puff starts with velvety honey, very mild earthy and roasted nutty flavors. The smoke is ultra clean, crispy with mild white chocolate note at the back. I am retrohaling from the first puff and enjoying the delicate white peppery note through the nose. It is very smooth, peppery finishes is short and leave no aftertaste- wow! The top of my tongue can feel delicate and clean sweet-white pepper crispiness. The middle of my tongue can feel the ultra-smooth, creamy, buttery texture with above flavors and aroma with a vanilla, light white chocolate notes. The back of my tongue is completely clean without any aftertaste. The delicate white peppery smooth spiciness is really very pleasant. At the end of 1/3 the honey note is at the back of the white chocolate flavor. This is a perfect example of complexity how flavor and aroma can interchange from front to back and back to the front. The spiciness is picking up, without any harshness. It is a great start with noticeable complexity which can only be found in a mild bodied cigar without the lack of boldness. The flavor and notes are very distinctive. At the end of this stage, I am detecting some dry woody and sweet leathery note at the back.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The 1/3 flavor and aroma profile is there. I am detecting distinctive raisin kind of sweetness with a sweet-spicy aromatic vegetal flavor. It is very clear and distinctive such as arugula. If you are familiar with arugula salad then you can feel the taste. Arugula is a very tasty vegetable which has a nice sweet-spicy aromatic flavor. The top of my tongue can feel the arugula zing; the middle of my tongue can feel the entire 1/3 and 2/3 flavors and aroma with ultra-smooth, velvety, creamy, round, mouthful smoke and texture. Still, I have no aftertaste at the back of my tongue. Taking about the aged wrapper- usually, the Connecticut wrapper has a bitter taste but I just can't find it in this cigar. I am quite sure that this wrapper was aged in some sweet liquor barrels to smoothen the bitterness. I always love Daniel Nunez's cigars with Connecticut wrapper. No one come close to him except E.P. Carrillo and Frank Llaneza. Daniel is the magician of Connecticut wrapper. I believe I talked about him when I reviewed another Connecticut cigar- Stradivarius. Daniel knows how to make a mild or mild-medium bodied complex cigar. The San Andres binder also injected some extra sweetness into the cigar and not to forget about the tasty Dominican Piloto Cubano fillers. He skillfully handcrafted this beauty. The spiciness is coming more profoundly but still ultra smooth, creamy and sweet. The white peppery spiciness through the nose is getting stronger but it simply adds more fun to the rehtrohale. I am practically inhaling some smoke because the sweet-spicy zing feeling is awesome. I am also detecting the medium tingling feeling in my mouth. I am really enjoying the smoke.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage the dominating flavors are the white milk chocolate, vanilla with white cardamom-nutmeg sweet-spiciness at the back. The spiciness is increasing with more roasted sweet-nuttiness at the back. Retrohale the spiciness goes straight through the nose, gives a quick but short kick - just like Japanese Wasabi paste. I love sushi and wasabi so this feeling is a plus for me. This is a clear sign of complexity how Arugula kind of sweet-spiciness drawn into wasabi kind of spiciness. First time the back of my tongue can feel mild bitterness of the tobacco which does not hamper the smoking experience. However, at the same time I would say this is the only part I do not appreciate about the Connecticut wrapper. The spiciness through the nose is now blending of black-white pepper powder like. It is quiet spicy. The spicy tingling feeling is all over my mouth and the cigar strength is starlight medium at this moment. The sweetness is very weak and the spiciness is the dominating element. I simply like it.

Final thought: I bought this box of Macanudo Vintage 2000 two years ago and almost forgot about it. I believe I smoked one a week ago and that inspired me to review this cigar. I enjoy mild, medium, full bodied to bold cigars. It simply depends on my mood but one thing I look from any cigar is- the complexity, balance, smooth long finish with rich flavor and aroma. Just a heads up-the smokers who do not like mild or mild-medium body please do not smoke it because you will be simply disappointed. However, if you enjoy spiciness please give it a try. Few mild- medium cigars can deliver this complexity and balance like MV 2000. This is not one of my top non-Cuban but I do enjoy smoking it very much time to time. Have a great weekend B/SOTLs- Thank you!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    No big deal...when are you going to smoke yours? I would really like to know your opinion. This cigar has one of those hit or miss kind of image.
    marineatbn03:
  • Options
    No big deal...when are you going to smoke yours? I would really like to know your opinion. This cigar has one of those hit or miss kind of image.
    marineatbn03:
  • Options
    rzaman:
    marineatbn03:
    Sometime in December, I left it in my humi at home in the states. I will let you know my thoughts as soon as I do.

Another nice review of the vintage 2000 btw.
  • Options

This Torpedo delivers lots of taste with medium strength. There is a pleasant complexity and long finish, touched with sweet and slightly woody flavors. The Stout has a pronounced aroma with no aggressiveness. The Scepter Series proudly shares the distinguished heritage of Zino Platinum, whole offering is own unique strength, flavor and aroma character. The Scepter Series blend was creating for the smaller shapes and sizes offered in the line. Each of the five shapes has been carefully crafted to exploit the generous flavors of the tobacco. Each of the eight Scepter Series cigars is presented in its own unique branded metal environment. Six of the cigars are housed in innovative metal cans with a watertight pop-top to ensure freshness and longevity. The XS, a demi tasse cigar, is offered in a flat metal flip-top tin. An elegant vellum keepsake of the corresponding Scepter dawn lies across the cigars and waits patiently inside. A signature quality of Zino Platinum is the aroma of the smoke, which is intense without being aggressive, producing pleasant sweetness. The Scepter Series has a friendly characteristic that offers strong taste without undue force from smokers of all types. This is achieved through an understanding of the plate and the regions of the tongue responsible for sensing bitterness and sweetness. [Source: Zino Cigar]
    Photobucket
    The cigar has a simple but very elegant look. The regal silver band compliments very nicely with the light brown milk chocolate color Connecticut Ecuadorian wrapper. The wrapper has some veins but overall very smooth look. It has a sweet cedar, hay scents to the foot. The construction, draw and burn are perfect like any other Zino Davidoff cigar. The smoke is medium complex, balanced, clean, crisp, creamy and mellow with delicate bite of creamy softness. The flavor profile is a combination of earthy, sweet woody (cedar), grassy, vanilla, cream, butterscotch, sweet cafe latte, cashew nut with tons of soft peppery bites at the back. The cigar is not ultra smooth though it is ultra creamy. It has some harshness at the 1/3 but improve at 2/3. The strength is straight medium.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Connecticut Ecuador

Binder: Connecticut

Filler: Domonican Republic and Peru
    Photobucket
    1/3: It starts with smooth creamy notes with white peppery bite at the back. The smoke is very clean and crisp with sweet cedar, grass, hay flavors with earthy aroma and white pepper powder spiciness at the back. I would say very simple start. I can feel some bitterness which is normal from Connecticut wrapper. There is also a slight harshness. The top of my tongue can feel the white peppery bite, the middle of my tongue is full of soft creamy, mellow, subtle texture with above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue has the slight bitter tobacco harshness. At the end of 1/3 I can feel the cigar is getting richer, creamier and getting more complex and medium finish. I can feel that the harshness is going away because retrohaling is more subtle and pleasant. I am also detecting a sweet cafe latte flavor with vanilla note at the back.
    Photobucket
    2/3: As I get into this stage, the cigar is changing its complexity and opening up with more distinctive flavors and aroma. First of all, it is completely smooth and harshness is completely gone- nice! I am detecting distinctive cafe latte, butterscotch, vanilla, cashew nut flavors with sweet cedar note at the back. This is where the cigar declares it superior complexity with long finish. I am also detecting cardamom kind do aromatic sweet-spiciness. The ultra smooth white peppery spiciness through the nose is very enjoyable. The top of my tongue can feel the delicate spiciness, the middle of my tongue is locked with smooth, creamy, mellow, buttery, subtle texture with above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue has the mild Connecticut tobacco bitterness. At the end of 2/3, again I am detecting some mild harshness at the back of my tongue which bothers me a little. This is unexpected from four years aged tobacco. I believe the filler tobaccos are aged but not the wrapper and possibly the binder as well. However, at the same time I am enjoying the smoke because the flavor and aroma profile is complex and clean with tons of nuttiness. Retrohale is more enjoyable when a cigar has spicy nuttiness through the nose at the same time some earthiness at the back. This is the signature blending technique of Henke Kelner. Most of his blend has this kind of finish at the back.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The harshness is again gone and now the cigar is giving me the tingly feeling in my mouth. I wish it started at the 2/3 stage. The smoke is very dense, creamy, mellow, round and mouthful- very tasty. The finish is more into zesty, sweet and cream. The 2/3 flavor and aroma profile is completely there locked in a creamy shield. I am detecting a mild lemony bite around the shield. This is where the cigar is superior in complexity one more time. The nuttiness is very strong and the flavors and aromas are dancing back and forth. The Retrohale is so much fun. The strength is straight medium and the middle of my tongue is enjoying a line of subtle spiciness-wow! Connecticut is originated in the U.S. but when the seeds are grown in Ecuador, it adds more sweetness to it and softens the bitterness. I always like Connecticut Ecuadorian wrapper over the Broadleaf Connecticut shade grown wrapper. The top of my tongue can feel the zesty, creamy spiciness, the middle of my tongue can feel the subtle spicy, creamy texture with 2/3 flavor and aroma. The famous Peruvian tobacco comes from Tarapoto farm and Davidoff purchase the bulk of it. This tobacco has distinctive sweet and strong aromatic flavors. Lately, Davidoff has been using this tobacco in their top Crown, Scepter series and Z Class line cigars. There are some great tobaccos in Peru, Mexico and Costa Rica. Davidoff, Graycliff and La Palina companies are using them in their blends quite frequently. I see the bright future of these three tobacco producing countries. In fact, someday they will challenge Dominican Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua. Last month I had a long discussion with a Davidoff marketing executive, he mentioned to me that Henke Kelner has a world map in his office room and he keep track of the tobacco growing countries on it. Davidoff invested heavily in Ecuador and Peru to grow more hybrid tobaccos. One thing we have to admit about Henke Kelner is his wealth of knowledge about tobacco outside Cuba and he always comes up with more and more imagination with blending unique cigars. He is a legend in the tobacco industry for his hybrid seeds. The new Davidoff lines are simply his experiments and we can expect more exotic blends in the future.

Final Thought: This is a very good cigar and very different than any other Davidoff cigar. The only drawback is its 1/3 performance is not so striking but it improve eventually. I will always keep a good stock and age them a little longer to soften the harshness. When I need a relaxing medium bodied, clean smoke I will smoke it.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I missed a whole bunch of these. I had to spend some time catching up on them. LOL!
    Great stuff Rip.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that you found the F&R to be a little short of the mark too.
    While I found it to be really good, it seemed to me to be missing something.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.