Options

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    LOL...I would recommend you to watch the documentary film "Super size me"
    jliu:
    rzaman:

LOL...I didn't know that Snoop Dogg asked that question to Hugh Hefner...I am curious to know Hugh's answer.

Daniel, I would never use the word yard gar for any cigar. Taste is subjective and individual, I respect every opinion. To answer your question, wherever I have given a cigar by someone, no matter the quality and price, I always cherish and smoke it. To me gift always comes with sincerely. A gift is a silent language of pure friendship and I always smoke them. I won't deny that when I buy a cigar, I try to stick with my personal like. At the same time respect others taste and choice. One more thing, I have a decent life but it came with a lot of hard work. I stilll remember those days when I couldn't buy something I really wanted to. You can see that I am a happy man because I cherish everything I have in life. Life is too short not to cherish the good thing we have around us.

AgaIn, thanks for your kind note my friend.
    danielzreyes:
    Snoop Dogg once asked Hugh Hefner if he ever gets tired of sleeping with beautiful women and sleep with an ugly one just because.
    Rip, you ever smoke a budget sticks/yard gar just because? Or will you only smoke "beautiful women"?

yet another awesome review. thanks for sharing
    I totally agree Rip. Life IS too short not to cherish the good things we have around us. That's why when I get asked at Mcdonalds if I want it supersized, I always say yes. I love America.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    jliu:
    rzaman:

LOL...I didn't know that Snoop Dogg asked that question to Hugh Hefner...I am curious to know Hugh's answer.

Daniel, I would never use the word yard gar for any cigar. Taste is subjective and individual, I respect every opinion. To answer your question, wherever I have given a cigar by someone, no matter the quality and price, I always cherish and smoke it. To me gift always comes with sincerely. A gift is a silent language of pure friendship and I always smoke them. I won't deny that when I buy a cigar, I try to stick with my personal like. At the same time respect others taste and choice. One more thing, I have a decent life but it came with a lot of hard work. I stilll remember those days when I couldn't buy something I really wanted to. You can see that I am a happy man because I cherish everything I have in life. Life is too short not to cherish the good thing we have around us.

danielzreyes:
    Snoop Dogg once asked Hugh Hefner if he ever gets tired of sleeping with beautiful women and sleep with an ugly one just because.
    Rip, you ever smoke a budget sticks/yard gar just because? Or will you only smoke "beautiful women"?

I totally agree Rip. Life IS too short not to cherish the good things we have around us. That's why when I get asked at Mcdonalds if I want it supersized, I always say yes. I love America.
    That was a good Documentary. Btw Rip, Hugh Hefner's answer to Snoop Dogg was just a straight "no". lol
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Hefner is unique but I still wonder how he does it at this age LOL
    danielzreyes:
    rzaman:
    jliu:
    rzaman:

danielzreyes:

That was a good Documentary. Btw Rip, Hugh Hefner's answer to Snoop Dogg was just a straight "no". lol
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    jliu:
    rzaman:

danielzreyes:

I've seen it. After that documentary, I went to get a big mac and 20 piece chicken nuggets. my goodness was that delicious
  • Options

Zino Platinum Crown Series has been around since 2007, but the Emperor was first introduced in 2009. Zino Platinum Crown cigars Series earned a special edition in late 2010 - Emperor Edition, a series already consecrated in 2009 and gained a new interpretation. Incorporating what's most exclusive and luxurious Emperor's Edition cigars combine tobaccos matured so majestic, creating an exceptional experience for the senses. The tobacco filler combines selected Nicaraguan and Dominican leaves, coated with a binder grown in the Dominican Republic, but that has its origins in cross hybrid seeds of Cuban and Dominican tobaccos. This mix offers Latin chords aromatics and flavors unique to the series Emperor Edition cigars. The finish was done with a fancy cover Ecuadorian, who was specially fermented to deliver a rich color, a uniform smoke and the perfect balance between flavor and aroma. At first glance, the cover has a velvety texture, oily, reddish, with well defined veins of the leaves. Two washers mark cigars Emperor Edition - the traditional silver seal that bears the name of the special edition and refined Zino Platinum badge, and a second ring, dark green and black, with the inscriptions' Crown Series' and '2010 '. Despite the small size, the Emperor's Edition a cigar for anyone who has time to enjoy his smoke uniform, tasty and smooth, about 2 hours. The palate, the first third chord is marked by more severe and earth, which gain creaminess as they are burned. The second third has notes of chocolate, very common to family Davidoff cigars. The last third releases tastes slightly sweet and woody, purposely added to the mix.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Emperor Edition Cigars are ideal for special occasions, with the presence of cigar aficionados’ strong, intense flavor and diameters robust, and able to extract the maximum pleasure from a premium cigar. The Zino Platinum Crown cigars magnificent Emperor Edition 2010 Series are individually wrapped in cellophane and come in a beautiful metal case, with only 8 units. [Source: various on-line publication]

The wrapper has a sweet, musty, woody scent. The flavor profile is a combination of woody, sweet-musty, pepper, chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, raisin, coffee- overall very rich, creamy, thick, mouthful smoking experience. The peppery delicate kick through the nose is very enjoyable. It is super smooth but a little more aging will make it more subtle, round and perfect. The one I am smoking already has 2 years of aging in it but it will perform better with more aging. It is a full bodied cigar, powerhouse and full of nicotine. It produces tons of smoke and burn nicely. The draw is not loose not tight either, simply effortless and perfect. The regular Crown series is medium to full but this is straight full bodied with rich and complex flavor and aroma.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Ecuador

Binder: Hybrid Dominican-Cuban

Filler: Dominican Republic and Nicaraguan
    Photobucket
    1/3: The first puff starts with distinctive woody, sweet-musty, earthy flavors and aroma with a hint of creamy cocoa and sweet coffee notes in the back ground. From the start it has a delicate black peppery kick. The peppery delicate kick through the nose is very enjoyable. It started as full bodied cigar and retrohale is little overpowering. I have decided to take short retrohale since I had a light breakfast. Perhaps it wasn't the right smoke at this time. However, it doesn't undermine the wonderful rich taste of the cigar. The top of my tongue can feel very delicate but clear sweet-spiciness. The middle of my tongue is full of creamy, buttery, round, mouthful, zesty texture with above flavors and aroma. The back of my tongue has no aftertaste at all- sign of truly aged tobacco. I don't know how long Davidoff aged this tobacco but apparently the tobaccos in this blend have aged from 7-10 years. Davidoff is very secretive about the blend of the Emperor Edition line. It completely smooth, rich, creamy, round, mouthful with complexity and long finish. Few cigars can perform in such a scale at the 1/3 stage. This is where this cigar declares its superiority.
    Photobucket
    2/3: As I am approaching to the second third, the smoke it more rich and thicker. The sweet cocoa and coffee notes came forward as the dominant flavors with mild caramel-chocolate notes in the back ground. I am also detecting strong raisin like aged sweetness into it. What a complex cigar. The finish is long and my mouth is full of tingly feeling. Though I said it will perform better with little more aging but it is fully smooth. It is full bodied but I am able to rethrohale at this moment. The delicate sweet-spiciness in through the nose is very enjyable. I am also detecting some distintive vanilla flavor. The smoke is very dense and mouthful. The top of my tongue feels more raisin kind sweet and delicate spiciness but not overpowering. The middle of my tongue is enjoying the buttery and creamy smoke with above flavors and aroma. Still, there is no aftertaste at the back of my tongue except slight aged sweet tobacco taste. It is super mild. Only top grade tobaccos can deliver this mild aftertaste. The cigar produces so much smoke that every time after a long puff it covers me in a big circle of smoke. The aesthetic feeling of this cigar is unbelievable. I have never seen so much smoke in any other cigar. All the above flavors and aroma are coming and going with super complexity and long finish. Until now the draw and burn is more than perfect. The regular Zino Crown series is also a very good medium smoke but Emperor Edition is more dense, complex with full bodied. They are completely two different blends and unique in character and performance. The only drawback is, this is a rare cigar and the collectors bought them all and patiently aging them for a special moment. This is definitely on of the top Davidoff in the market. In fact, few Davidoff cigars are so rich, complex as the Emperor edition. It is simply top notch in Davidoff production line.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage, the cigar has a slight uneven burn but it does not hamper the smoking experience at all. It is a perfect example of a super complex cigar with creamy, buttery and smooth texture. It is also very subtle but at the same time full bodied. I am detecting strong creamy chocolate flavor at this stage. The vanilla, raising sweetness notes are in the back. The full, rich flavor and aroma profile of 1/3 and 2/3 stage is fully present with complexity and long finish. The top of my tongue has sweet-spiciness; the middle of my tongue is enjoying the creamy and richness of above flavors and aroma. The back of my tongue has no aftertaste.

Final thought: I cannot say enough how great this cigar is. This was my birthday gift from my wife and without understanding cigar; she indeed got a good non-Cuban cigar for me. I like it more than the regular crown series because of the complexity and rich flavor and taste of this cigar. I wish I had couple more boxes. I couldn’t find it anywhere. The last option is to get some more from a collector with hefty price. The price is very high but this is not an overpriced cigar but expensive. It lives up to its reputation. I have to warn that it is pact with nicotine and need to be smoked with full stomach. I took two hours and ten minutes to enjoy smoking the cigar. I am having huge nicotine buzz and stop smoking it little early. I need some rest. This is a must smoke for any Davidoff lover and also for those who looks for a full bodied, smooth, creamy and complex cigar. Davidoff is famous for making almost perfect cigar and they did it again. I cannot wait for the next Emperor line release.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Beautiful
    just b/c you have a gimp thumb, doesn't mean you can half ass a compliment reyes

Hi Rip. As always, your reviews are beautiful
  • Options
    LOL...thanks Jliu and Daniel. I appreciate your kind words.
    jliu:
    danielzreyes:
    Beautiful
    just b/c you have a gimp thumb, doesn't mean you can half ass a compliment reyes

Hi Rip. As always, your reviews are beautiful
  • Options

Romeo Y Julieta was created as Habanos brand in 1875. Romeo y Julieta has become one of the best known and appreciated Habano brands, to a great extent due to the prestige that the “Churchills” vitola has contributed to it. The name “Churchills” brings to our minds a whole imagery of the Habano and its history. Winston Churchill was one of the most devoted smokers of the Romeo Y Julieta brand. Since his visit to Havana in 1946, his name was not only used in Habanos rins, but granted to one of the best known vitolas of the brand and of Habanos. In 2006, a new vitola called Short Churchill was added to the portfolio of the brand which, with the evolution of consumer habits, rapidly became a very successful one. In 2010, Habano S. A. presents a new vitola in the portfolio that includes historical name Wide Churchills. When smoking this heavy ring gauge, the brand enthusiast will have the possibility to appreciate its balanced and aromatic blend, prepared with selected leaves from the Vuelta Abajo region.
    Photobucket
    Habanos SA – always coming up with new and interesting ‘spins’ on their most popular products. This piece is no different – The Romeo y Julieta brand has recently decided that they will be producing the Romeo y Julieta Wide Churchills in a Tubo format ( Ring Gauge 55, sold exclusively at the Casa del Habano shops around the world. Habanos SA reports the Wide Churchill as “Its special sizes –unique for this vitola- make the Wide Churchills a particularly luring habano for those smokers who love puffing on thick ring gauge cigars boasting a well-balanced and aromatic blend.” Many of us are familiar with the history of how the Churchill vitola got its name ( Winston Churchill ) and how the ‘short Churchill’ took off in popularity almost as much as the larger brother of the line. Well – now for those large ring gauge lovers, you get your chance to try this amazing smoke.[ Source: La Casa Del Habano]
    Photobucket
    A perfect looking cigar with a beautiful copper-brown color wrapper. It is very smooth and almost veinless. There is very nice oily sheen to the wrapper. The wrapper has a sweet woodiness with a hint of leather note. The cigar feels good in hand with perfect construction. The cold draw is perfect and effortless. The flavor profile and aroma is combination of sweet cedar, milk chocolate, cafe vanilla latte, caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg, roasted nut with distinctive aromatic fruity and floral notes. The body is thick, creamy, mouthful, round. It is a complex and balanced cigar with overall medium finish. The burn and draw is almost perfect.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Cuba

Binder: Cuba

Filler: Cuba
    Photobucket
    1/3: The first puff starts with thick, creamy smoke with a spicy kick through the nose. It has a mild harshness. It is 2010 release but haven't mellowed out completely. However, from 5-6 the puff the harshness disappeared and taken over by ground black peppery spiciness through the nose which is enjoyable for retrohale. The smoke is very intense and also stronger than Romeo Y Julieta Short Churchill. It has a concentrated sweet cedar, milk chocolate flavors with aromatic floral notes in the back- great start! The top of my tongue is enjoying the mild ground black pepper spiciness, the middle of my tongue is filled with creamy thickness, mouthful, round and almost buttery texture. The back of my tongue has no aftertaste at this stage. I am almost end of the 1/3 and detecting cafe vanilla latte sweetness with a hint of cardamom kinds note in the back- complex start with medium finish with balanced above flavors and aroma. I am retrohaling and enjoying the black peppery powder spiciness with a sweet twist at the finish.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At this stage, the cigar lost its buttery texture, still thick smoke but not so creamy. Little disappointing but interestingly taken over with full aromatic fruity and floral notes. The flavor profile has been taken over with sweet caramel, cinnamon, toasty nuttiness with sweet earthy notes in the back. The interesting part at this stage is, the smoke has more of toasty and crispy feel. The thickness is there but the creamy, butterness are gone. The cigar is quiet smooth and the mild sweet-spiciness through the nose is very enjoyable. The burn is slightly uneven. The back of my tongue can feel little tobacco bitterness. I am definitely enjoying the smoke but at the same time missing the creamy and buttery texture of the 1/3. the cigar is fully complex but the finish is still medium. The toasty nuttiness at this stage is very unique with a aromatic floral notes at the back. It has a interesting moist and zesty texture in the middle of the tongue.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The flavor and aroma continues from the 2/3 but added more aromatic nutmeg kinda sweetness to it with moist earthy note at the back. It is very interesting how it changes it's complexity but the finish is still medium. The sweet woodiness is noticeable with blasting aromatic floral notes. I can feel the cigar is gathering it's complexity with creaminess again- great! There is a blast of strong bitter kick here and it hits the back of the tongue. The top of the tongue has the spicy zing feeling. The finish is long with more power to the smoke. This is a medium-full smoke at this stage. The strength is more than short Churchill- sign of extra ligeros in the filler. I am detecting some harshness. This cigar needs rest but not more than 1-2 years to mellow out. It is not fun to retrohale now for the full strength. However, it is still complex with nice balance. the long finish is there but in my opinion it came back little too late.

Final thought: It is a very good cigar but not a top Cuban. This cigar will be more enjoyable after a year or two aging. The harshness is there but I can tell the aging will do the trick. I will buy another box just for aging purpose and most probably will smoke after a year or two, it depends on the release year. I have enjoyed smoking it. This would be a better cigar if they reduce the amount of ligero and put more viso in it. Overall, a very good smoke but I don’t know if I like Wide over Short Churchill. I haven’t smoke a short Churchill in few months. Maybe it is time to go back and smoke one to compare.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    What's your overall opinion of RyJ tobacco Rip? Interested in trying some of their coronas as they are pretty cheap for an everyday smoke and to keep my hands out of my aged stash.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent article Rip.
    Oh wait, I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

That's better.
    Ok, where was I? Oh yeah.
    Another great article. Thanks!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Romeo Y julieta uses tobacco from Cuban Vuelta Abajo and puerto de golpe regions of Cuba. Thry also use some from Piloto and San Juan y Martinez in their blends. Overall, RyJ cigars are great. Their regular coronas comes in tubos and box of 25. They have great aromatic flavor and aroma but some of them also have little tight draw. They pay great attention to their top lines not to the regular coronas. As you mentioned that they are cheap and overall offer great values so it is good idea to have some in hand. Even Orlando Padron said once, if Cuba opens up in his life time, he will create two lines one with Nicaraguan and another with Cuban tobacco. He is proud of his Nica tobacco but also agrees that Cuban tobacco is unique.
    catfishbluezz:
    What's your overall opinion of RyJ tobacco Rip? Interested in trying some of their coronas as they are pretty cheap for an everyday smoke and to keep my hands out of my aged stash.
  • Options
    Thanks Tony as always.
    0patience:
    Excellent article Rip.
    Oh wait, I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

That's better.
    Ok, where was I? Oh yeah.
    Another great article. Thanks!
  • Options
    Dustin, if you are looking for a cheap Cuban corona size cigar with robust aromatic flavor and aroma than buy a box of H. Upman No. 4. Few cigars can beat this line. A box of 25 cost $260, depends where you buy them.
    rzaman:
    Romeo Y julieta uses tobacco from Cuban Vuelta Abajo and puerto de golpe regions of Cuba. Thry also use some from Piloto and San Juan y Martinez in their blends. Overall, RyJ cigars are great. Their regular coronas comes in tubos and box of 25. They have great aromatic flavor and aroma but some of them also have little tight draw. They pay great attention to their top lines not to the regular coronas. As you mentioned that they are cheap and overall offer great values so it is good idea to have some in hand. Even Orlando Padron said once, if Cuba open up in his life time, he will create two lines one with Nicaraguan and another with Cuban tobacco. He is proud of his Nica tobacco but also agrees that Cuban tobacco is unique.
    catfishbluezz:
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rip, Just to let you know, I genuinely appreciate your articles and learn a lot from them.
    I didn't want it to seem like I was going through the motions of posting that I like them.
    I sincerely look forward to them. They are always a great read and the subject matter is always something interesting. The background info, the flavor profile and your thoughts on them.
    It never grows old or uninteresting. Hmm, uninteresting must be a word, cause spell check didn't have a fit. LOL!

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that.

When I re-read my earlier post, it occurred to me that it might come across that way.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Thanks Tony. I sincerely appreciate your wrods. You truely inspire me to review cigars.
    0patience:
    Rip, Just to let you know, I genuinely appreciate your articles and learn a lot from them.
    I didn't want it to seem like I was going through the motions of posting that I like them.
    I sincerely look forward to them. They are always a great read and the subject matter is always something interesting. The background info, the flavor profile and your thoughts on them.
    It never grows old or uninteresting. Hmm, uninteresting must be a word, cause spell check didn't have a fit. LOL!

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that.

When I re-read my earlier post, it occurred to me that it might come across that way.
  • Options

In 1992, the Fuente family planted the first seeds of the wrapper leaves for Fuente Fuente OpusX at Chateau de la Fuenta in Dominican Republic. In 1993, the first FFOX cigars were made with this legendary wrapper. In commemoration of the Fuente Fuente OpusX Tenth Anniversary, Prometheus International, Inc. produced 100 FFOX ForbiddenX humidors in 2002. 100 FFOX ForbiddenX humidors were produced in three different veneers. Each humidor came with Carlos Fuente Jr’s very special collection of 100 FFOX cigars and a part of this never-been-released collection is called “The ForbiddenX”. The Fuente Fuente OpusX ForbiddenX cigars were specially created for the Tenth Year Anniversary of Fuente Fuente OpusX and were available only in the Prometheus Limited Edition FFOX ForbiddenX Humidors. The first 50 cigars of Carlos Fuente Jr’s special never-been-released collection of 100 FFOX cigars were shipped with the humidor to the authorized Prometheus dealers in November 2002 and the remaining 50 cigars, in June 2003.

5 of FFOX ForbiddenX “Round to Square Shape” (5 5/8 x 54)

5 of FFOX ForbiddenX “Tapered Head and Flair Bottom” (5 ¼ x 45)

12 of FFOX ForbiddenX Lancero (7 ½ x 41)

5 of FFOX ForbiddenX BBMF (64 ring-gauged figurado)

5 of FFOX ForbiddenX 952R (short pyramid aged since 1997)

4 of FFOX ForbiddenX eXtasy

4 of FFOX ForbiddenX 848 (8 x 48)

2 of FFOX ForbiddenX Maduro Robusto

2 of FFOX ForbiddenX Maduro Churchill

2 of FFOX ForbiddenX Maduro Lancero (7 ½ x 41)

4 of FFOX ForbiddenX Bellicoso (5 ½ x 49 aged since 1997)[Source: Prometheus press release]
    Photobucket
    Secret about Forbidden X: I have learned this information from a Dominican friend who is also a very experienced cigar smoker and a collector. According to him, the differences between the Opus X(OX) and Forbidden X(FX) is the blend. Arturo Fuente uses the top of the top and most aged tobaccos in their FX blend. Only their best of the best rollers get the honor to roll Forbidden X. The secret blend has seven different distinctive tobacco leaves, hand selected from the most rich and complex leaves from Dominican Republic. Arturo Fuente has a designated room only these rollers has the access to enter in this room. Carlito Fuente distribute the tobacco leaves by himself so none of these rollers see how he created the blend or how he choose individual leaf out of seven different leaves. Opus X is Carlito’s project but Forbidden X is Carlito’s most kept secret in his cigar portfolio. Again, Fuente’s are very creative to make up good stories behind each releases. This is can be one of them. So please take this information with a grain of salt.
    Photobucket
    The cigar I am smoking today is from 2003 release. Though the cigar has been aged almost a decade but it is still in a perfect condition. It is cedar-wrapped with black ribbon at the foot. The wrapper is medium- dark brown, smooth, little veiny, slight oily. The wrapper has dry cedar scent, the foot has a sweet raisin like, damp earthy scent. Cold draw is effortless. Overall, perfect construction and draw. The flavor profile is a combination of cedar, earth, leather, toasty, extra peppery(mix of white and black pepper), roasted peanuts, clove-cinnamon sweet and spiciness, cocoa, dark chocolate, freshly roasted dark coffee flavor and aroma with dimensional crispy aromas at the back. This cigar is extremely complex, balanced with long finish. The smoke is very intense, deep and dense. It is straight a full bodied cigar but not bold. Today is holiday here because it is Nicaraguan Independence day, clear blue sky, very quiet. The only noise is the singing of the birds and the wind in the trees. A perfect day to pick up a perfect cigar. The tropical breeze is touching my hair, skin, heart and soul. I am wrapped by nature's warm and loving blanket.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Dominican Rosado

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican
    Photobucket
    1/3: The first couple draws release strong spicy, cedar, damp earth, leathery flavor and aroma. The most noticeable element is the peppery(combination of black and white pepper) spiciness. The black peppers is more dominant and the white pepper spiciness is at the back. It is very intense and strong. Even regular Opus X Lancero does not act like the Forbidden X. The complexity of Forbidden X is more intense and superior than regular Opus X Lancero at this stage. This is definitely a different blend. However, at the same time the long aging also make a huge difference. Though during retrohale I felt very mild harshness. This is unexpected after such a long aging but at the same time the sign of the presence of extra Ligeros. This element also tells me, there might be a chance to have a foreign tobacco in it. It might not be a pure Dominican Puro. We will never know because Forbidden X blends are always secret. The beauty at this stage is the complexity of black and white pepper spiciness. The top of my tongue can feel the strong black pepper spiciness however at the same time the white pepper is at the back, the middle of my tongue can feel the thick texture not buttery but very dense. The back of my tongue can feel super mild tobacco harshness. This is the only part I did not like about this cigar at this stage. Overall, a complex start with extreme long finish with roasted nuttiness and cocoa aroma at the back. The ash is very flaky which is also the strong sign of aged tobacco.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At this stage the super mild harshness is completely gone and taken over by complex smoothness. The ultimate sign of an aged cigar. However, the intensity with clove-cinnamon kind of sweet and spiciness is very enjoyable. I can also detect medium cocoa and strong presence of dark chocolate flavors with sweet raisin note at he back. The crispness is another dominating element which I always love about regular Opus X Lancero as well. The 1/3 flavor and aroma is still there. This is extremely complex cigar. The flavors and aroma constantly changes with each puff with long finish. The tingly feeling is very distinctive. I am really enjoying the retrohale of black-white peppery spiciness through the nose. I am also detecting the damp earthy, sweet cedar, intense and spicy leathery notes in the middle of my tongue. The back of my tongue is almost clean with super mild tobacco sweetness. It also confuses me couple time because of extreme complexity and quick changes in flavor and aroma. However, the flavor and aroma still consist 1/3 stage’s flavor and aroma.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: I am getting little sweet bitterness at this stage at the middle of my tongue with medium texture. It lost is thickness a little. The dominant flavor is strong freshly roasted dark coffee with sweet raisin note. It is not holding the ashes for long, it drops by itself in every half inch mark. The roasted nutty and sweet spiciness is presence in each puff. The delicate spicy kick though the nose is still very enjoyable. Interestingly, the top of my tongue feel very weak spiciness but after each puff it hits the back of my tongue with sweet, spicy, tobacco bitterness. The middle of my tongue is so busy with ever changing flavors and aroma that it is very difficult to detect the dominant flavor. This is another example of super complexity of a cigar. I haven't encounter such a complexity in many cigars lately. It confused me couple times. This complexity also reminds me of Cuban Cohiba 1966 LE 2011. I am completely lost inside it's flavor profile but at the same time unable to identify certain element. When I come close to detect a certain element, it blast me with a new one. I apologize for my inability to describe final/3 stage with clear description. However, I can say with confidence that this is one of the rare and complex non-Cuban cigar in the market. This is where Arturo Fuente declares it's superior blending skill. The strength is full bodied but not overpowering. It's complexity craps my head off.

Final thought: This cigar is a perfect example of how a properly aged cigar can perform and offer extreme joy of smoking in life. Smoking a great cigar is a lifestyle not a luxury. My friends, sorry I am out of words.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    And I have a teardrop rolling down my cheek.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    another knock out on the review. I like the forbidden line. I thought he lancero was the weakest out of the bunch though; but I'm not much of a lancero fan.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Can I come live with you.... you have the best smokes. I love reading your reviews.
  • Options
    Thanks Rich. In fact, I was also very sentimental during smoking and review this cigar. I went through a lot of hassle to collect three sticks. Now I say, it is worth 100%.
    beatnic:
    And I have a teardrop rolling down my cheek.
  • Options
    Thanks Glen. I think I did a very poor job it final/3 but I was really out of words.
    phobicsquirrel:
    another knock out on the review. I like the forbidden line. I thought he lancero was the weakest out of the bunch though; but I'm not much of a lancero fan.
  • Options
    Thank you Sir. If you ever visit Nicaragua please let me know. I would be glad to invite you to my house for a dinner and great cigars.
    jthanatos:
    Can I come live with you.... you have the best smokes. I love reading your reviews.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Rip, another fantastic review. I have had one Opus and it was pretty phenominal. I can't imagine how great this one was. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Thanks Glen. I think I did a very poor job it final/3 but I was really out of words.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I usually run out of words too, but your pictures, hell you could do a pictorial review and we would all be jazzed. Just beautiful.
  • Options
    Thanks James. I appreciate your kind words.
    marineatbn03:
    Rip, another fantastic review. I have had one Opus and it was pretty phenominal. I can't imagine how great this one was. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    I love to take pictures of cigar and the culture around it. I am trying to go to Cuba(of course legally). One of my dream is to make a Pictorial/Coffee Table book about Old Havana and the Cigar culture. I have been collecting pictures and hope someday I will be able to publish it. If that happens then all the money will go to a cigar producing country to help the people and their family members welfare who works in the industry. I have organized some dinner plus cigar events to raise funds here. I gave away some of my top cigars to raise handsome amount of money. I really enjoy doing it.
    phobicsquirrel:
    rzaman:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I usually run out of words too, but your pictures, hell you could do a pictorial review and we would all be jazzed. Just beautiful.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Keep us in the loop Rip, I for one would definately like to see this come to fruition.
  • Options

Last night I couldn't post this because Photobucket didn't work.

There is nothing new to talk about Padron. On Occasion Padron manufacture a special release to commemorate a significant family date or event. The 80th Anniversary was first released in 2006 to honor the 80th birthday of Jose Orlando Padron. It was in 2008 that the Padron 1926 Serie 80th Anniversary was rated as the No. 2 cigar of the year by Cigar Aficionado. Padron manufacture this cigar very limited quantity. The tobacco to this cigar has been aged at least for five years and only two bunchers and rollers are allowed to hand roll these. It comes only in perfecto shape, first time in Padron’s history.
    Photobucket
    The wrapper is dark brown chocolate with oily sheen to it with super fine veins. It wrapped so beautiful that makes me feel to eat the cigar. The wrapper has a woody, sweet leather, rich earthy scents. Overall, it has a solid look and feels good in hand. The cold draw is perfect- not too tight and not too loose with perfect draw and burn. It is straight a full bodied cigar and also bold at final/3. This cigar is extremely complex with robust flavors and aroma, perfect balance with long finish. You can see that how many times I have used the word perfect to describe this cigar because it is a perfect cigar. It is one of those cigar if anyone offer me with a good Cuban, I would at least think twice before take the Cuban. This is my all time favorite cigar after a heavy meal. I was invited to a friends house and had a T-Bone steak dinner so I thought why not pick up one of my all time favorite Padron. It has been raining a lot and the weather is cool with nice fresh breeze. The flavor profile is a combination of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, espresso, cocoa, caramely sweetness, molasses, toffee, almond, toasted peanut, creamy spiciness(it is like a dash of Cayenne pepper on a creamy chicken sauce). The smoke is thick, mouthful and round. This cigar is from 2008 release and it mellowed out completely with smooth and creamy texture. I prefer to smoke it after couple of years of aging on it. Otherwise it has some harshness to it.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun-Grown

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Five years aged Nicaraguan
    Photobucket
    1/3: The first puff blasts with distinctive cocoa, bittersweet chocolaty spicy kick but it is not overpowering but at the same time the strength is full. Within few puffs the spiciness mellowed out with more caramely sweetness and molasses at the back. The quick changes in flavor and aroma of this cigar is astonishing. I have smoked this cigar many times and always remember the twist of the complexity and consistency at this stage. The top of my tongue can feel the bittersweet delicate spiciness, the middle of my tongue can feel the creamy, thick, mouthful, round texture with above flavors and aroma. The back of my tongue has a mild sweet leathery aftertaste. usually, this kind of complexity, distinctive aroma exist at the 2/3 of a cigar but it does this at the 1/3 mark. This is where this cigar is so unique with long finish. I have a tingling sensation in my mouth already. Amazing start!
    Photobucket
    2/3: The bittersweet chocolate flavor has been taken over by distinctive coffee, espresso flavor with a toasted nutty, almond, roasted peanut aroma at the back. I can detect the molasses sweetness coated with toffee kinda creamy shield around it. What a great cigar! Within few puffs, I can also detect cinnamon, nutmeg kind of aromatic flavors with a mild peppery finish at the back. The top of my tongue can feel the zing of black pepper powder spiciness, the middle of my tongue can feel the creamy, thick, mouthful, round texture with above flavors and aroma. The back of my tongue has the aged tobacco sweet-spicy-bitterness. The tingling sensation is more intense and started spreading around my mouth more delicately. The feeling is like when we use cooling menthol powder puff in a summer day. I know in America we do not use power that much (except in the South) but I grew up in English culture with powder, Scottish handkerchief, shortbread and tea. My mom used to give me the cooling menthol powder in a hot summer day. Indeed, this cigar reminds me the motherly touch of my mom who lives far away from me. God bless Padron family for creating such a phenomenal cigar. I am retrohaling the cigar from the start and enjoying the sweet-peppery delicate kick through the nose. This cigar releases magical flavors and aroma after few years of age. This cigar meant to be aged and smoke slowly when the world goes to sleep. I am smoking and enjoying the night with the sounds of my tropical garden. This is all about me, my cigar and the subtle sounds of nature.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage the cigar is more than smooth. It is more milk creamy chocolaty, sweet espresso with hazelnut and aromatic herbs aroma at the back. Though the above flavor and aroma go back and fourth with 75% time of 1/3 and 2/3 flavor and aroma profile. Few Non-Cuban cigars are so complex as Padron 1926 80th Anniversary Maduro. I have also smoked the Natural version but it is not as complex as Maduro. Only one cigar can come close to this is Padron Millennium but 80th has more flavor and aroma and lack the delicacy of Millennium. I believe the above distinction comes from the age. The strength is full bodied and bold at this stage but at the same time super smooth. The balance of coffee, chocolate, roasted nut with aromatic herbs aroma is unbelievable however the dominant flavors are bittersweet dark chocolate and coffee. The tingling sensation is strong all over my mouth. In fact, my entire mouth is spicy at this stage. I can also feel slight nicotine buzz though I had a full T-bone steak at dinner.

Final thought: As I mentioned earlier that if I am offered a Padron 1926 80th Anniversary Maduro with a good Cuban, I will think twice to take the CC over 80th unless it is a Behike or Cohiba 1966. This cigar has been always in my top five Non-Cuban list. This is a phenomenal smoke and only Padron can make it. This is the cigar why people respect the company without any debate. I always keep a good stock for aging and looking forward for a moment like tonight. Indeed, my body and soul is in peace and I am ready to go to bed. Thank you!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Great review! These are in my top of all time I think. Haven't had a behike yet but these are damn well worth every penny! They are pricey but very good and I loved the nutty flavores! Thanks for a great review and reminding us how good these are!
    Money can't buy taste